Is true detective related to true blood?

#1 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -

Serious questions since they're both HBO series, both have similar logos and similar names, I'm not aware if this "true" thing is a saga. Anyway I've been thinking about watching TD but if its related to TB (Which is one of the most cringeworthy, shittiest series ever) I'm not even going to tune it for the intro...are both related or they're different things? Also how's true detective? Heard it did well at the emmy's.

#2 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26735 posts) -

...no...not even remotely...

#3 Posted by GeekInkINC (206 posts) -

Yes. We are all descendants of the same being, so in way everything is related to everything else.

#4 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -
@SaintLeonidas said:

good to know. is it good?

#5 Edited by dave123321 (35357 posts) -

Not really connected in a strong sense.

Loosely?

#6 Posted by dave123321 (35357 posts) -

Both seem to deal with the secret fate of all life

#7 Posted by Master_Live (18830 posts) -

Yes.

#8 Posted by _Judas_ (785 posts) -

Yes. It's a about vampire detectives.. It doesn't suck, and once you're bitten you'll turn....into a fan.

lol

#9 Posted by trav_have (5708 posts) -

True Detective is miles better than True Blood. True Blood is over now, and while I enjoyed watching it these final seasons were a little lacking.

TB is about vampires, werewolves, shape shifters and fairies. It's an interesting show if you can get into it and it won't hurt to try it out.

True Detective is a whole other story. It's fantastic.

#10 Edited by Perfect_Blue (30629 posts) -

OP is going to watch it then come rant about how "pretentious" and "overrated" it is just like everything else he posts on OT. Don't waste your time and just watch something else.

#11 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -

@trav_have said:

True Detective is miles better than True Blood. True Blood is over now, and while I enjoyed watching it these final seasons were a little lacking.

TB is about vampires, werewolves, shape shifters and fairies. It's an interesting show if you can get into it and it won't hurt to try it out.

No I actually did tried TB ages ago and I almost threw up. Ridiculous special effects (The vampire "superspeed" and the "flying scenes" were cringeworthy) and then that one time when sookie goes to fairyland and it's the same shit except with a sepia camera filter and the annoying ass "fairies".

So far I'm liking TD.

#12 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -
@Aljosa23 said:

OP is going to watch it then come rant about how "pretentious" and "overrated" it is just like everything else he posts on OT. Don't waste your time and just watch something else.

Nope, I'm actually loving it so far, 5 episodes in, will continue today. I love the intro. Try harder next time, I don't hate everything.

@trav_have said:

No I actually did tried TB ages ago and I almost threw up. Ridiculous special effects (The vampire "superspeed" and the "flying scenes" were cringeworthy) and then that one time when sookie goes to fairyland and it's the same shit except with a sepia camera filter and the annoying ass "fairies".

So far I'm liking TD.

#13 Posted by dave123321 (35357 posts) -

Aljosa strikes out again.

#14 Posted by trav_have (5708 posts) -

@trav_have said:

So far I'm liking TD.

Yeah, True Blood isn't an amazing show by any means. I'm pretty sure over the years I mostly watched it for the hot chicks. It was a show to follow on HBO.

#15 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -

@trav_have said:

@trav_have said:

So far I'm liking TD.

Yeah, True Blood isn't an amazing show by any means. I'm pretty sure over the years I mostly watched it for the hot chicks. It was a show to follow on HBO.

Oh the audience loved the sex in that thing and HBO knew it. The show was just a lame excuse to get audience by putting all those sex scenes where they even switched positions. Thats the part I dislike about HBO shows, they just go way too big into sexualizing the series as if they weren't interesting on their own. I don't know if you guys get brazilian HBO series in America, but literally like 90% of the brazilian HBO series are about sex, as in, sex is the main point in the plot.

#16 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26735 posts) -

@lightleggy said:
@SaintLeonidas said:

good to know. is it good?

Seems like you are already watching it, but the answer is still YES. It IS pretentious. The writer is a bit of a douche...It thinks very highly of itself and asks a lot of "deep" philosophical questions...but it is one of the few works of art (in either TV or film) in the last few years that earns the right to be so damn wonderfully pretentious.

One of my favorite TV shows ever. I hope the second season is even remotely as good.

#17 Posted by trav_have (5708 posts) -

@lightleggy said:

@trav_have said:

@trav_have said:

So far I'm liking TD.

Oh the audience loved the sex in that thing and HBO knew it. The show was just a lame excuse to get audience by putting all those sex scenes where they even switched positions. Thats the part I dislike about HBO shows, they just go way too big into sexualizing the series as if they weren't interesting on their own. I don't know if you guys get brazilian HBO series in America, but literally like 90% of the brazilian HBO series are about sex, as in, sex is the main point in the plot.

I'd say like 50% of the reason I kept watching it is because I'd already watched the other seasons, so I figured I might as well keep doing so. The final season was pretty horrible, and I only watched it in order to finish it.

Then the other 50% was for the girls.