Is this guy a murderer or a Hero ?

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

ARTICLE

The case of an Indian man who tortured and killed his daughter's alleged rapist has shocked the country - but many are hailing him as a hero

I say hes certainly not a Hero, could've handed over the rapist to cops as his daughter was not killed.Murdering went too far, then again i'm not a father so do not mind my personal judgement.

What you think OT ? :)

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I think, that people should get trials.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#3 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Can I understand why he did it? Yeah, although I'm not sure I would immediately believe my daughter if she said she was pregnant because of a rape..I guess it would depend on how much I trusted her...teenagers tend to be quite narrow-sighted in regards to ruining somebody's life to escape trouble. But even if it was true I still can't condone what he did so definitely not a hero...He should do the just time for his crime.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@korvus said:

Can I understand why he did it? Yeah, although I'm not sure I would immediately believe my daughter if she said she was pregnant because of a rape..I guess it would depend on how much I trusted her...teenagers tend to be quite narrow-sighted in regards to ruining somebody's life to escape trouble. But even if it was true I still can't condone what he did so definitely not a hero...He should do the just time for his crime.

Yep, vigilantism is incredibly stupid and dangerous because vigilantes tend to not doublecheck their information and jump to conclusions. And that's ignoring that revenge is a pretty damning motivation for doing anything.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

I think few things are more sacred than the law...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@MlauTheDaft said:

@korvus said:

Yep, vigilantism is incredibly stupid and dangerous because vigilantes tend to not doublecheck their information and jump to conclusions. And that's ignoring that revenge is a pretty damning motivation for doing anything.

If I found a guy trying to rape my daughter I can't say I wouldn't knock a few of his teeth loose before turning him to the cops but kidnapping a guy, torturing him and murdering him? How can that ever be ok? "He deserved it" is never an excuse for torture or murder. He wasn't even thinking of his daughter when he did that...how exactly did he help his daughter if he spends half of the rest of his life in prison and leaves his wife to raise the 6 kids alone?

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@korvus said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@korvus said:

If I found a guy trying to rape my daughter I can't say I wouldn't knock a few of his teeth loose before turning him to the cops but kidnapping a guy, torturing him and murdering him? How can that ever be ok? "He deserved it" is never an excuse for torture or murder. He wasn't even thinking of his daughter when he did that...how exactly did he help his daughter if he spends half of the rest of his life in prison and leaves his wife to raise the 6 kids alone?

Agreed. I can understand the emotional turmoil but that does'nt make torture and murder the right course of action. As I said, vengeance is never a good motivation for doing anything.

Edit: I was'nt contesting your sentiment in the previous post. I'm sorry if I came off as being sarcastic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@MlauTheDaft: Don't worry, you didn't, I was just building up on your reply. I normally mean things the way I write them and read other people's posts by the same rule (and sometimes I'm wrong, but still...), but in a place where sarcasm and bile abound, I can see it how it's hard to tell anymore XD

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

That's a tough one. On the one hand sure the girl's rapist had it coming and just like the article stated, it would have taken years for the case to be processed properly in the Indian justice system with shaky results. On the other hand vigilante justice is hardly foolproof and I can see how it may rub some people the wrong way. You can't have your citizens taking matters into their own hand and exacting their "varied" definitions of justice on others like that; that's a complete breakdown of the system. But most developing countries have shitty legal systems and rely to various degrees on other informal forms of tribunals.

But damn, its like India is the real life infamous rape land. According to the article, a total of 93 rape cases are reported everyday. Considering the size of India and the social norms that most likely shun rape victims there, my guess is that you would need to multiply this number at least by a factor of 10 to get an adequate estimate of total daily rape cases. That's just scary.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

Global outrage forced India to introduce tough new laws, including the death penalty for particularly grave crimes, but many are upset that two years later, the attackers of the Delhi student are yet to be punished.

They were handed the death penalty, but their appeal is pending in the Supreme Court. Many Indians resent the slow pace of the judicial system where court cases can go on for years.

Guess you can say, not everywhere is the first world. What he did was justified. I wouldn't call him a hero or something. Neither I would call him a murderer. He did what he should as a father living in a country where the legal system sucks.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38662 Posts

sounds like premeditated murder to me

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Isn't india one of those countries that is not the very good with handling Rape/sexual assault related cases

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 indzman

@lostrib said:

Isn't india one of those countries that is not the very good with handling Rape/sexual assault related cases

Yep.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

@korvus: Whynot?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@MirkoS77 said:

Sorry; why not what?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 indzman

@korvus said:

@MirkoS77 said:

Sorry; why not what?

What?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@indzman said:

@korvus said:

@MirkoS77 said:

Sorry; why not what?

What?

Excuse me? XD

Madara_Sennin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Madara_Sennin
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

guilty until proven innocent this isn't 3rd world country you know

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

"What's the point of going to the police and courts? They ask for all kinds of evidence."

Yeah, wtf is up with this BS? Why the hell should evidence be required just to get a man convicted of rape and possibly sentenced to death?

@top_lel said:

Global outrage forced India to introduce tough new laws, including the death penalty for particularly grave crimes, but many are upset that two years later, the attackers of the Delhi student are yet to be punished.

They were handed the death penalty, but their appeal is pending in the Supreme Court. Many Indians resent the slow pace of the judicial system where court cases can go on for years.

Guess you can say, not everywhere is the first world. What he did was justified. I wouldn't call him a hero or something. Neither I would call him a murderer. He did what he should as a father living in a country where the legal system sucks.

Uh, the appeals process is there to ensure that they're not punishing an innocent man. Two years? That's nothing. Take a look at the USA, where it takes an average of about 15 years to execute people after they've been sentenced. You don't expect convicted criminals to be executed a couple months after sentencing unless you simply don't give a shit whether or not they're actually guilty.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

There sure wasn't anything Heroic about his actions.

halffullcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 halffullcup
Member since 2014 • 90 Posts

In a country where under 18 rapists get max 2/3years sentence. Nobody can say what is right and what is wrong.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 top_lel

@MrGeezer said:

@top_lel said:

Uh, the appeals process is there to ensure that they're not punishing an innocent man. Two years? That's nothing. Take a look at the USA, where it takes an average of about 15 years to execute people after they've been sentenced. You don't expect convicted criminals to be executed a couple months after sentencing unless you simply don't give a shit whether or not they're actually guilty.

Do you live in Indian slums?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrGeezer

@top_lel said:

@MrGeezer said:

No. Do you think that people in Indian slums should be convicted of rape (and possibly sentenced to death) without appeals? Do you think that people in Indian slums shouldn't be entitled to a fair trial (or hell...at least A trial)? Does living in an Indian slum somehow make the average person qualified to act as judge, jury, and executioner? Should criminals in Indian slums not be protected from cruel and inhumane punishment (aka, TORTURE)? How exactly is this somehow acceptable because it happened in an Indian slum and not, say, the USA?

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 top_lel

@MrGeezer said:

@top_lel said:

@MrGeezer said:

No. Do you think that people in Indian slums should be convicted of rape (and possibly sentenced to death) without appeals? Do you think that people in Indian slums shouldn't be entitled to a fair trial (or hell...at least A trial)? Does living in an Indian slum somehow make the average person qualified to act as judge, jury, and executioner? Should criminals in Indian slums not be protected from cruel and inhumane punishment (aka, TORTURE)? How exactly is this somehow acceptable because it happened in an Indian slum and not, say, the USA?

There's no law there. Plus, pour the tension already created in the country after the events of 2012, and you have a belligerent society. If you ask me, if that rapist really was the culprit, then what the father did was absolutely right. There's no trial, no jurisdiction for the poor. I don't think if you were in his shoes, you would do anything different. I don't however agree with torture, just simple murder would be enough. Torturing was going overboard but still, in India, and in some other Eastern countries, this case really is intense. If a girl is raped, nobody will marry her, and an unmarried over aged girl = a piece of trash in Indian society. And don't get me started about how the society will treat her. It's a matter of life and death. If you'd lived in a third world country, you would know it better. Right now, we can just settle for "To each his own" stuff.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

He broke he law but, in such a situation I personally have zero issue with it. Hell, If someone raped my daughter I'd be willing to do somethings I'm not willing to type down.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrGeezer

@top_lel said:

There's no law there. Plus, pour the tension already created in the country after the events of 2012, and you have a belligerent society. If you ask me, if that rapist really was the culprit, then what the father did was absolutely right. There's no trial, no jurisdiction for the poor. I don't think if you were in his shoes, you would do anything different. I don't however agree with torture, just simple murder would be enough. Torturing was going overboard but still, in India, and in some other Eastern countries, this case really is intense. If a girl is raped, nobody will marry her, and an unmarried over aged girl = a piece of trash in Indian society. And don't get me started about how the society will treat her. It's a matter of life and death. If you'd lived in a third world country, you would know it better. Right now, we can just settle for "To each his own" stuff.

First of all, I'm dubious of your claim that there's no law. For starters, according to this article, that dad is going to be tried for murder, because the law says that you can't just torture and murder a dude because you think he's guilty. Secondly, as far as the rapists in that bus incident, they actually were convicted and sentenced to death, and are currently undergoing appeals. That doesn't sound a lot like "there's no law there."

But for the sake of argument, let's assume that there is no law there. How does it make things BETTER when, in addition to the rapes, there are also people going around murdering and torturing their neighbors? Give this dad a pass, and you're condoning a system in which you can straight up murder and torture a dude and then get let off the hook by retroactively claiming rape. That just makes things MORE lawless there.

And don't talk to me with this "if you lived there, you'd feel different" bullshit. There already seem to be enough problems over there. If I had to live there, I wouldn't want the added problem of my neighbors feeling like they can get away with straight up torturing and murdering my ass by simply throwing out the totally unverified claim that I raped someone. Is that something that YOU are comfortable with? Would you like to live somewhere where anyone who has a beef with you can straight up murder you, and then get away with it by claiming that you are a rapist?

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#28 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3673 Posts

Did he have any evidence that the guy hi killed was even the rapist? All he said was that he "believed" so he didnt really have any hard proof evidence that he had the right guy. But that doesnt matter, his daughter is still alive, he coul've handed the guy over to the police and let them do the investigation properly. This guy is no hero, he is just a murderer

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#29 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I do not agree that honor killing applies to this situation because he had a choice to report this to the authorities and then he could move to a different country that treats victims better like America if India is slow to change such an important mentality. This is nothing more than murder.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

@korvus said:

@indzman said:

@korvus said:

@MirkoS77 said:

Sorry; why not what?

What?

Excuse me? XD

lol wtf is wrong with you guys ?!

On topic, I was shocked. Just shocked.( Until the above conversation lightened my mood a bit, but I'm still in awe.)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178808 Posts

He's not a hero though I understand he wasn't thinking clearly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@elkoldo said:

Erfan, as a friend I advise you to not go there...really, trust me, you don't want to go there... XD

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 elkoldo
@korvus said:

@elkoldo said:

Erfan, as a friend I advise you to not go there...really, trust me, you don't want to go there... XD

Go where, Pedro ? India ? You're afraid I might get pregnant ?!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@elkoldo: You never know...always wear a condom, just in case...ALWAYS, as in, right now!

And here I am, derailing another thread...shutting up now =X

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

He's not a hero, but not a monster either. I can understand why he did what he did, and could even see myself contemplating similar action in his place, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't face the legal repercussions for his actions. Every choice has consequences and he will have to live with the consequences of his. Hopefully it was worth it to him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@davillain-: Why am I being included in that? I wasn't the one who mentioned India. Although, I am sick, just not in that particular aspect.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 elkoldo
@davillain- said:

@elkoldo said:
@korvus said:

@elkoldo said:

Go where, Pedro ? India ? You're afraid I might get pregnant ?!

Good lord!!! You guys are sick!

Ain't we all, dude ?!

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#39 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

The rapist should have been put on trial. As it stands, he is a murderer. Although I can sympathize with his reasons, it is what it is.

Whenever men take the law into their own hands, the loser is the law. And when the law loses, freedom languishes.

- Robert Kennedy

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MrGeezer

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

The rapist should have been put on trial. As it stands, he is a murderer. Although I can sympathize with his reasons, it is what it is.

Whenever men take the law into their own hands, the loser is the law. And when the law loses, freedom languishes.

- Robert Kennedy

How could he have been put on trial when the rape was never even reported? I could maybe sympathize with the dad if the rape was reported and then the police never even investigated it. But it's pretty hard to buy into the "he thought he had no other choice" excuse when he didn't even TRY resolving this through legal means. Sure, MAYBE the cops would have done nothing if he'd reported the rape, but the police DEFINITELY aren't gonna do anything when no one even bothers to tell them that a rape has taken place.

jsolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jsolidus
Member since 2011 • 171 Posts

What if he didnt do it? what if the girl got knocked by someone else and she decided to blame another person for it and say it was rape. I know this is India and maybe they wouldn't of gotten any real form of justice, but this is why people go to court and have to be proven guilty. Now if he killed the guy after seeing him in the act, I wouldn't fault this guy. If the guy went to court and got off because he payed to get off and the father took justice in his own hands, i might not fault him.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

@korvus said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@korvus said:

If I found a guy trying to rape my daughter I can't say I wouldn't knock a few of his teeth loose before turning him to the cops but kidnapping a guy, torturing him and murdering him? How can that ever be ok? "He deserved it" is never an excuse for torture or murder.He wasn't even thinking of his daughter when he did that...how exactly did he help his daughter if he spends half of the rest of his life in prison and leaves his wife to raise the 6 kids alone?

Sorry I was on my mobile and couldn't quote.

Whynot to the underlined?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@MirkoS77: Because there is a right and a wrong way to go about things. If he committed a crime and you use that as an excuse to commit another, how exactly do you have the moral ground to dispense "justice"? Also, torture and murder is a worse crime than rape (and no, I'm not saying rape is not a serious crime), so in the end, who's the biggest animal? Torture is a way of you feeling better about things you can't change, there's nothing justified about it...

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I don't think anyone can ever be labeled a hero or a generally good person if they commit torture.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

He's a murderous hero.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

Well yeah. Can't say I feel for the rapist though.

thatnordicguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 thatnordicguy
Member since 2014 • 150 Posts

Hey, I'd do the same... Probably even worse.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 top_lel

@MrGeezer said:

First of all, I'm dubious of your claim that there's no law. For starters, according to this article, that dad is going to be tried for murder, because the law says that you can't just torture and murder a dude because you think he's guilty. Secondly, as far as the rapists in that bus incident, they actually were convicted and sentenced to death, and are currently undergoing appeals. That doesn't sound a lot like "there's no law there."

But for the sake of argument, let's assume that there is no law there. How does it make things BETTER when, in addition to the rapes, there are also people going around murdering and torturing their neighbors? Give this dad a pass, and you're condoning a system in which you can straight up murder and torture a dude and then get let off the hook by retroactively claiming rape. That just makes things MORE lawless there.

And don't talk to me with this "if you lived there, you'd feel different" bullshit. There already seem to be enough problems over there. If I had to live there, I wouldn't want the added problem of my neighbors feeling like they can get away with straight up torturing and murdering my ass by simply throwing out the totally unverified claim that I raped someone. Is that something that YOU are comfortable with? Would you like to live somewhere where anyone who has a beef with you can straight up murder you, and then get away with it by claiming that you are a rapist?

The dad is going to be tried for murder simply because he has the 'undivided' attention of media now. The same was the case with that bus incident. Things are way more fishy than you can contemplate. Let's posit that media stop making a fuss over rape everyday. Now the only thing that'll happen is; the court will feel free. It will do nothing. Only bribery, power, interceding from some powerful politician or landlord and getting the media to focus on it again will make those fatasses sitting in the court get their bums in gear again. A man living in the slums has no power to do all that. That is yet another source of frustration for those poor fellas.

One more thing that you're taking wrong here. In each one of my posts, I was proceeding on the assumption that the rapist really was the rapist and the father had concrete evidence for him being the criminal. If there was no proof, or no concrete evidence then it's simply a murder. Now before you raise the question that if the father did had the evidence, why didn't he contact the police? well, it's not so simple. Most of the times, those rapist gangs or people have underground contacts with the police. Hell, sometimes it's the police doing the rape. The common folks are totally overwhelmed by those criminal parties. And let's just say the criminal didn't had any contacts with the police, even then it wouldn't be so simple. There are a lot of radical groups in India and especially in Indian slums who are crooked enough to support something like this. In the end, the most quickest and the efficient way to serve yourself justice, is to do it with your own hands.

I already told you, live in their shoes and you'll know. A father living in a country where by some parties women are already looked down upon and once they're raped, they completely lose any dignity that they've left and can never hope to get married; that father won't think twice if someone rapes his daughter. He will go for the kill. It's the culture difference. Things aren't that simple that you can understand neither too simple for me to do justice inditing them.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

If you're going to kill someone there is no reason to torture. If the guy really did rape the young girl then I am entirely okay with him being gone. But I am not okay with heating metal and then burning his testicles.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MrGeezer

@MirkoS77 said:

@korvus said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@korvus said:

If I found a guy trying to rape my daughter I can't say I wouldn't knock a few of his teeth loose before turning him to the cops but kidnapping a guy, torturing him and murdering him? How can that ever be ok? "He deserved it" is never an excuse for torture or murder.He wasn't even thinking of his daughter when he did that...how exactly did he help his daughter if he spends half of the rest of his life in prison and leaves his wife to raise the 6 kids alone?

Sorry I was on my mobile and couldn't quote.

Whynot to the underlined?

Because that's too subjective and too subject to personal bias to be a justification for criminal acts. Some people think that gays deserve to die. Some people think that women deserve to be raped. And so on. It's up to SOCIETY to determine what punishment a criminal deserves, it's not up to the individual.

But more to the point...just because "this scumbag deserved to die", that doesn't mean that I have a justification to give him the punishment that he deserves. Even if someone deserves to be tortured or murdered, then it still stands that not just any random asshole has the authority to torture or murder him. There are rules and procedures involving this, in order to avoid a Total Anarchy situation in which everyone does whatever the hell they want to and then justify it under the basis of "well, he deserves it." Even if a dude does deserve to be tortured or killed, that job is designated for the state sanctioned executioner. Not the random dude on the street. Most people don't have that authorization. This is not a weird concept. If I get a job working the cash register at Wal-Mart, and I think that Wal-Mart isn't ordering enough of a certain product, I don't get to just order more of that product on the company tab. Whether or not that product was ACTUALLY needed is irrelevant. The point is that only management has authorization to take that action, and by doing it myself I have overstepped my bounds and deserve to be punished.