Is there life in our universe?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TF626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TF626
Member since 2010 • 593 Posts

I've always been fascinated with the universe as a whole, and just find it's beauty, immeseaurable size, and scope just utterly breathtaking. It's been something humanity has been asking itself for quite sometime. With recent missions such as Kepler, which is finding more Earth-sized planets in our galaxy the number of planets out there could be astonisihing... and even life within our neighborhood could be pretty common given it's vast size. There could very well be intelligent beings, or bacteria, and other forms of life within our neighborhood, and this is something I believe.

I think given the vast and expanding size of the universe, life has to be common in our galaxy, and the universe as a whole. Looking up at the skies(and if you haven't seen the Milky Way at night, make sure once in your life you do, it's amazing), I can't help but believe that their are other beings out there.

Now if we ever find them during our lifetime could be a possibility, some NASA scientists believe we could find another Earth very soon... and just to put the size of our galaxy perspective, the nearest star Gliese 581g which some believe could harbor life or the closest canidate to harboring life couldn't be reached by Voyager 1(which is just leaving our solar system), traveling at 39,000mph for 300,000 years(the star is close in astronomical terms 20 light years, which is about 120 trillion miles). What's your beliefs?

stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts
Of course! One would have to be extremely foolish to think otherwise. The sheer size of our universe alone should be more than enough to imagine that we aren't the only forms of intelligent life out there.
ConBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ConBro
Member since 2005 • 531 Posts

To answer your question-- yes there is life in the universe. You and I are both alive, and we reside in the aforementioned universe. /thread

MarineXXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MarineXXII
Member since 2007 • 1583 Posts

Dude, most people dont pay attention to space because they simply think that it provides nothing to improve our lives. But they dont realize how much our own planet is in danger from the hostilities in the void of space and that this planet will eventually be destroyed and we need to leave it. Plus who knows what we can find on other bodies in space? New energy sources. New medical break throughs. New scientific/technology break throughs. Or even better, new life. The Milky Way alone MUST have life other than Earth in it because their are billions upon billions of other stars in the Milky Way ALONE! And there are billions upon billions of other galaxies, many of them being much larger than the Milky Way. Then what would really blow your mind is that there may be other universes besides just ours........

TF626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TF626
Member since 2010 • 593 Posts

Dude, most people dont pay attention to space because they simply think that it provides nothing to improve our lives. But they dont realize how much our own planet is in danger from the hostilities in the void of space and that this planet will eventually be destroyed and we need to leave it. Plus who knows what we can find on other bodies in space? New energy sources. New medical break throughs. New scientific/technology break throughs. Or even better, new life. The Milky Way alone MUST have life other than Earth in it because their are billions upon billions of other stars in the Milky Way ALONE! And there are billions upon billions of other galaxies, many of them being much larger than the Milky Way. Then what would really blow your mind is that there may be other universes besides just ours........

MarineXXII

Yes I've heard about "other" universes too which is interesting... also neat to think how many civilizations have passed on but ultimately killed off that we don't know off. If we don't destroy ourselves, Earth still has such a long lifespan left if we take care of it. This could lead to breakthrough technologys. Earth is still expected to harbor life for another 500 million-1.5 billion years many scientists believe.

Secret-Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Secret-Face
Member since 2011 • 223 Posts
Of course! One would have to be extremely foolish to think otherwise. The sheer size of our universe alone should be more than enough to imagine that we aren't the only forms of intelligent life out there.stevenk4k5
what i was about to type....
Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts

To answer your question-- yes there is life in the universe. You and I are both alive, and we reside in the aforementioned universe. /thread

ConBro
This, obviously.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts

I would be extremely dissapointed if there wasn't the universe is too big for the miniscule amount of life thatwas randomly generated on one tiny planet

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

my guess is the universe is absolutely crawling with it.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

btw, here is the drake equation if anyone is interested.

http://www.lifeinuniverse.org/Drakeequation-07-02.html

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Yes there should be other life forms in our universe. Will we see them ever? That's debatable.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

The universe is so unfathomably large that I would consider it unreasonable to assert that there is no extraterrestrial life out there.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#13 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

To quote the movie Contact.

"I don't know, Sparks. But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space."

I would love to see humanity venture further out into our solar system in my life time. Sadly, I doubt it will happen that soon. But you never know, after all,necessity is the mother of invention. We shall see just how much damage we can do to our planet.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

But they dont realize how much our own planet is in danger from the hostilities in the void of space and that this planet will eventually be destroyed and we need to leave it.

MarineXXII

Pipe dreams, unless you're specifically talking about us going to other planets within our solar system.

Travelling to worlds OUTSIDE of our solar system? Ridiculous. I'd might as well hope that someday science might allow me to be like Galactus or Superman.

Humanity began here, humanity is going to end here. I guarantee it.

DmadFearmonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 DmadFearmonger
Member since 2009 • 5169 Posts

Most of the Gliese 581 solar system is very likely to be inhabitable so I've heard. I'd reckon It's not unlikely for life to be there already.

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
Life is. EVERYWHERE.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrGeezer

To quote the movie Contact.

"I don't know, Sparks. But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space."

Namgis

The universe is already mostly empty anyway. And it's only gonna keep on getting emptier as the universe expands.

Furthermore, the very idea of "waste of space" sort of implies that the universe exists for the specific PURPOSE of containing life. I mean, there's space and there's life. If life suddenly disappeared and there was simply a never-ending expanse of dead space, then by what criteria would that be a "waste"?

Mr_Leonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mr_Leonis
Member since 2007 • 4615 Posts
"our universe"? ...possibly.
RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts
The universe is life. We are bits of the universe ourselves, recognizing itself. Carl Sagan was a poet.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Is there life in our universe? Yes, of course there is. We are here arent we?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrGeezer

The universe is so unfathomably large that I would consider it unreasonable to assert that there is no extraterrestrial life out there.

GabuEx

I would agree that it is unreasonable to assert that there is no extraterrestrial life out there.

I also think that it is unreasonable to state that there MUST be extraterrestrial life out there, without having any kind of supporting evidence whatoever.

I certainly BELIEVE that there's life on other worlds, but I take strong objection to the way that otherwise rational people treat aliens like God. Like something that has not been proven whatsoever, yet it's just "obvious". So anyone who doesn't follow the standard line of thinking is an idiot.

It just seems a lot like discrimination based on belief, with no one being able to show that their belief is RIGHT. You're just supposed to believe "just because", or else you're an idiot and the hell with you. And that don't sit right with me at all, because that makes discussions about aliens sound a HELL of a lot like discussions about freaking GOD. I suspect that Aliens may very well be on their way to becoming the new gods. I don't think I'm too far off the mark. Considering that we've seen cults who worshipped ALIENS as their gods, and considering that there are a hell of a lot of people who seem to think that traditional gods were real (but simply happened to be aliens instead of divine beings), then we're already well on the way to that.

I don't know who it was that said something like, "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Was that Arthur C Clarke? I think so, but I may be wrong. In any case, that very well rings true. I'm seeing a hell of a lot of people invoking MAGIC by trying to dress it up as "advanced technology". I'm seeing a hell of a lot of people trying to turn SCIENTIFIC matters into faith-based matters by making it something that's just "obvious" without anyone ever having to provide any proof whatsoever.

Do I believe in aliens? Sure.

But lots of people also manage to believe in god without acting like anyone who doesn't share the same belief is a total idiot.

But now, it seems like it's becoming a LOT more mainstream for "aliens" to just be a different name for "god".

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't any, intelligent life, or any within reach, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was either. I'm sure there is life though.

White_wolf_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 White_wolf_eye
Member since 2009 • 2886 Posts

I beilive that there is life out there but..........but what if where the only intelligent life in the universe, what if we somehow discover that earth us the only place that could sustaine life? Could it be the human race are the superior beings of the universe? If there is intelligent life besides us, then they must have found others vy now dont you think? I mean the human race must only be newborns when it comes to proccess compared to those other, could different beings have found eachother and formed some kind of....galactical empire or government or organization of some sort? Are we being watched right now to see if we are worthy to join or.........to be taken over? Its truely something to think about.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
Of course. You should be proud. The human race is going to see so many more wars in the future. It is what we are best at.
Sunsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sunsha
Member since 2005 • 20662 Posts
Of course. You should be proud. The human race is going to see so many more wars in the future. It is what we are best at.MgamerBD
The question then becomes...do we want them to beat us or do we want to be the winning race? Personally I'm not always so sure I would want the human race to be victorious.
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. Science doesn't know, so neither do I.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

according to statistics, and the newly found evidence of millions of earthlike planets in this galaxy alone, its like 99.999%

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
Fail title! But yes, according to probability other life most likely exists, as well as other sentient life.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Over 100 billion galaxies each with god knows how many solar systems and even more planets. I don't think there is any scientific argument to suggest that life cannot exist anywhere else in the universe.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Of course there has to be some kind of lifeform that equals our intelligence somewhere out there, it's quite cocky to think that Humankind is the only intelligent life form in the entire universe.
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Life as we know it is already a proven fact......therefore, life can also exist elsewhere in the universe (yeah it's a flawed argument.....I'm too lazy to type anything else...)

MarineXXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MarineXXII
Member since 2007 • 1583 Posts

Of course there has to be some kind of lifeform that equals our intelligence somewhere out there, it's quite cocky to think that Humankind is the only intelligent life form in the entire universe.Treflis

Also very ignorant to believe humans are the only intelligent life

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
100 billion stars in our galaxy with 80 billion possible galaxies out there...to asume we're all alone is just insane. What makes us so special and why would all that space just be wasted?
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#34 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
ofc there are...I just dont get why people think that they are super advanced and that they have flying saucers...I sometimes think that they are just like us, normal folks, wondering if there is more life in the universe, or hell, even cavemans who have not evolved....
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#35 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
ofc there are...I just dont get why people think that they are super advanced and that they have flying saucers...I sometimes think that they are just like us, normal folks, wondering if there is more life in the universe, or hell, even cavemans who have not evolved....
LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts

Of course there is other life in the Universe.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
To say that there is absolutely life outside of our planet because of the grand scope of the universe makes the assumption that it's easy for life to begin. In light of how untrue I believe that assumption to be, I am not quick to assume other life exists. Is there other life? Maybe. Are we alone? That could be true too. Until we either find life or determine that life is impossible to start apart from an intelligent creator then we'll never know for certain.
Avatar image for HeavyMetalKirby
HeavyMetalKirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HeavyMetalKirby
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts

Cant really vote on this cause I don't know for sure. But... I would love to meet an alien face to face one day if there is life out there. I would love to have a conversation about life as a different being and experences they had as extraterestreals.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts
i don't see how there can't be life elsewhere in the universe.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
we are in the universe
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Nope. Nothing exists. You are the only living thing in the universe and everything you see isn't real.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

[QUOTE="MarineXXII"]

But they dont realize how much our own planet is in danger from the hostilities in the void of space and that this planet will eventually be destroyed and we need to leave it.

MrGeezer

Pipe dreams, unless you're specifically talking about us going to other planets within our solar system.

Travelling to worlds OUTSIDE of our solar system? Ridiculous. I'd might as well hope that someday science might allow me to be like Galactus or Superman.

Humanity began here, humanity is going to end here. I guarantee it.

bookmarked.
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#43 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

I'm not sure because I have absolutely no way of finding out. The horizons of my perception is limited to this place, and out of 180.000 bits of data per second streamed to me from this place; I manage to keep an eye on roughly 48 of them. So you understand now that there is as good as no chance that I could definitely say yay or nay, or even make an educated guess about it. It's just out of my scope as a human being.

If you're into statistics based on largely theoretical data though, you'd be apt to say 'oh yes, definitely'.

djseebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 djseebee
Member since 2005 • 340 Posts

if u mean another place it would be HEAVEN OR HELL , coz its the next life