Is there a double standard when it comes to racism?

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/08/02/new-york-times-stands-by-new-tech-writer-sarah-jeong-after-racist-tweets-surface.amp.html

To no surprise the NYT will not fire her and fully supports her. I guess it's odd if a white person said half that their careers would be over. What are your thoughts on this.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@blackhairedhero: shes hot, she can be cruel to me when im old.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#4 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Of course there are double standards, there are about everything.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@blackhairedhero said:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/08/02/new-york-times-stands-by-new-tech-writer-sarah-jeong-after-racist-tweets-surface.amp.html

To no surprise the NYT will not fire her and fully supports her. I guess it's odd if a white person said half that their careers would be over. What are your thoughts on this.

its really not because the baseline is radically different.

calling a person a cracker and firing them is a FAR cry from hanging them from a tree

so moral equivalency on this is out the window

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7266 Posts

There is a double standard, but this particular instance is not a great example. She was counter trolling in response to some racist stuff people were tweeting at her. She was up front about this during the interview process with the NYT and they felt she adequately explained herself.

And really, if you can't figure out this is a joke, I don't know what to tell you.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@tryit said:
@blackhairedhero said:

calling a person a cracker and firing them is a FAR cry from hanging them from a tree

What does hanging people from a tree have to do with anything?

I was about to question whether the NYT had ever fired a white person for saying something like this on Twitter. Because what someone else would have done in this situation doesn't reflect on the NYT. It could really only be called "a double standard" if the NYT acted inconsistently. But then I see that the NYT actually did previously fire a white person for old racist tweets. So yeah, that's at least arguably a double standard, since the NYT previously set the standard for themselves and isn't acting upon it consistently.

I'll say this much, though...if this lady is smart, she'd better watch what she says and get the f*** off of social media. Especially since the decision to keep her is being justified with what amounts to "she doesn't do that any more", she'd better be expecting people to be watching her for the tiniest slip-up.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TryIt

@MrGeezer said:
@tryit said:
@blackhairedhero said:

What does hanging people from a tree have to do with anything?

I was about to question whether the NYT had ever fired a white person for saying something like this on Twitter. Because what someone else would have done in this situation doesn't reflect on the NYT. It could really only be called "a double standard" if the NYT acted inconsistently. But then I see that the NYT actually did previously fire a white person for old racist tweets. So yeah, that's at least arguably a double standard, since the NYT previously set the standard for themselves and isn't acting upon it consistently.

I'll say this much, though...if this lady is smart, she'd better watch what she says and get the f*** off of social media. Especially since the decision to keep her is being justified with what amounts to "she doesn't do that any more", she'd better be expecting people to be watching her for the tiniest slip-up.

because white people throw up the SJW snowflake racism card whenever someone calls them a cracker (this is an example)

but they forget that they used to kill black people

so no..the playing field is not the same

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@tryit: She didn't call them a cracker. She said " they should be wiped out". Also I don't recall asians being targets of the KKK ever. But its amusing to me you bring up shit from 100 years ago to justify the "baseline". You are a far left loon though so it doesn't surprise me.

Also no white person alive use to kill black people for the KKK.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TryIt

@blackhairedhero said:

@tryit: She didn't call them a cracker. She said " they should be wiped out". Also I don't recall asians being targets of the KKK ever. But its amusing to me you bring up shit from 100 years ago to justify the "baseline". You are a far left loon though so it doesn't surprise me.

its STILL not as bad as actually killing people.

sorry but my answer stands.

White people really dont have much room to complain about words given what they did. sorry but nope...

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Blackhairedhero

@tryit: lol god dam this is hilarious !

Let me get this clear. So people of color can say and do whatever they want because 100 years ago a small group of white people killed black people?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TryIt

@blackhairedhero said:

@tryit: lol god dam this is hilarious !

Let me get this clear. So people of color can say and do whatever they want because 100 years ago a small group of white people killed black people?

it wasnt small but sounds pretty equitable when you add segregation, low funded schools, and recent shootings.

WORDS is the least of the things black people have to live with when it comes to racism, so I would suggest whites grow some short and curly and stop crying

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blackhairedhero

@judaspete: Ohhh so it's ok because it's a joke?

So white people can tell racist jokes and keep their jobs? As long as it's a joke?

Lmao!

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@tryit: Black people kill whites at a far higher rate then blacks kill whites. Matter a fact it's not remotely close.

So explain how that justifies anything?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TryIt

@blackhairedhero said:

@tryit: Black people kill whites at a far higher rate then blacks kill whites. Matter a fact it's not remotely close.

So explain how that justifies anything?

i find that hard to believe.

never the less, whites need to get over getting hurt by words and be more aware of things that actually matter instead of silly minor stuff by comparison.

if you want to talk about black people killing whites then have at it, but some tweet by a random nobody? not so much

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TryIt

@nibbin1191 said:

@tryit:

People have killed people for thousands of years.

What exactly are your parameters for an entire race deserving vengeance for something that the majority weren’t even alive for?

Is it just priviliged Americans? Does the Rhodesian farmer get a pass because he watched his children get their tongues cut out in the bush war? Exactly how much suffering must a collective go through before they’re all allowed to be a dick?

Racism is racism, maybe if we stopped with the petty identity wars, we could get something done in the world.

because

1. it hasnt been long enough

2. what happened was a lot more serious then words spoken by a random nobody on twitter.

3. it makes moral equivalency between words spoken to that which the black race suffered in just one lifetime ago and that is inappropriate.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TryIt

@nibbin1191 said:

@tryit:

Everyone suffers, it’s up to all of us to try and reduce that suffering as a community.

not equally true remotely.

and THAT is the problem.

you are making equivalency between what my grandfather experienced as a white man to that of what a black son of a slave experienced, its not remotely the same thing

and if you think its ridiculous then stop complaining about the random tweet from a nobody

how long is reasonable to you? a week? a month? you tell me

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrGeezer

@tryit said:
@nibbin1191 said:

@tryit:

What exactly are your parameters for an entire race deserving vengeance for something that the majority weren’t even alive for?

Is it just priviliged Americans? Does the Rhodesian farmer get a pass because he watched his children get their tongues cut out in the bush war? Exactly how much suffering must a collective go through before they’re all allowed to be a dick?

Racism is racism, maybe if we stopped with the petty identity wars, we could get something done in the world.

because

2. what happened was a lot more serious then words spoken by a random nobody on twitter.

3. it makes moral equivalency between words spoken to that which the black race suffered in just one lifetime ago and that is inappropriate.

Uh, dude, no one's equating words spoken to the suffering committed upon blacks. They're comparing words spoken by one NYT editor who got to keep her job to words spoken by a DIFFERENT NYT editor who got fired for it.

That is LITERALLY the "double standard" that's being discussed. It's being called a double standard because those situations are comparable. No one is bringing slavery or lynchings into the discussion of this particular double standard. No one's saying that one person saying mean stuff on twitter is comparable to slavery or lynchings. Slavery and lynchings, as bad as they are, have NOTHING to do with the current topic. There is no equivalency, that's precisely WHY that's irrelevant to this topic.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TryIt

@MrGeezer said:
@tryit said:
@nibbin1191 said:

@tryit:

because

Uh, dude, no one's equating words spoken to the suffering committed upon blacks. They're comparing words spoken by one NYT editor who got to keep her job to words spoken by a DIFFERENT NYT editor who got fired for it.

That is LITERALLY the "double standard" that's being discussed. It's being called a double standard because those situations are comparable. No one is bringing slavery or lynchings into the discussion of this particular double standard. No one's saying that one person saying mean stuff on twitter is comparable to slavery or lynchings. Slavery and lynchings, as bad as they are, have NOTHING to do with the current topic. There is no equivalency, that's precisely WHY that's irrelevant to this topic.

the problem with your line of logic is the 'double standard' part

what is the 'standard' in question exactly?

the 'standard' the 'complaint' the very reason the issue of racism exists at all whatsoever is because of why? because black people were called a name? no...

because black people were killed, enslaved, thrown into a cycle of poverty that they could not get out of THAT is the 'standard' you are refering to which is why its not a doube standard.

so the 'standard' as you like to call it is not name calling.

that is not the 'standard' that black communities are pressing people on about.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@tryit: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-09-29/race-and-homicide-in-america-by-the-numbers%3fcontext=amp

Lol you find it hard to believe that blacks kill whites far more then whites kill blacks? Lol read the link and learn. Although it's hardly surprising with the leftwing media bubble.

Whites need to stop being offended by words....... LMAO! Bahahaha! Really?

Whites in general don't give a shit about words what we care about is the hilarious double standard. People claiming to fight for equality will gladly make sure you lose your job and well being for a few words but at the same time feel they should be able to say whatever they want.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TryIt

@blackhairedhero said:

@tryit: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-09-29/race-and-homicide-in-america-by-the-numbers%3fcontext=amp

Lol you find it hard to believe that blacks kill whites far more then whites kill blacks? Lol Ross the link and learn. Although it's hardly surprising with the leftwing media bubble.

Whites need to stop being offended by words....... LMAO! Bahahaha! Really?

Whites in general don't give a shit about words what we care about is the hilarious double standard. People claiming to fight for equality will gladly make sure you lose your job and well being for a few words but at the same time feel they should be able to say whatever they want.

while I read that maybe you can reply to the other thread regarding me quoting what you originally said.

I notice you never do

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@tryit: I did reply

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrGeezer

@tryit: Wth are you talking about? The "standard" in question here is about the NYT's standards regarding racist tweets by NYT employees. That is literally what the entire original post is about: the premise that it's a "double standard" for the NYT to fire a white employee for old racist tweets that get brought up, but not fire a non-white employee for old racist tweets that got brought up.

Now, you may not agree that it is indeed a double standard. Regardless, that's what is being referred to when calling it a double standard. No one is saying that anything about this story is as bad as slavery or lynchings. The "double standard" in question concerns the NYT's supposedly inconsistent employment standards. Slavery and lynchings literally have NOTHING to do with this.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TryIt

@nibbin1191 said:

@tryit:

I’m disagreeing with the premise that certain behaviour is permitted because “white people killed black people”.

the ENTIRE essence of the issue of racism in this country, the entire 'standard' as you call it, the entire baseline, the entire essence of it and what is measured against it, is 100% related to slavery and segregation.

even the term 'the N word' is a direct reference to slavery

THAT is the 'standard' by which all other actions of racism are baselined against.

@MrGeezer above is my response to you as well

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TryIt

@nibbin1191 said:

@tryit: The standard in question is the definition of racism.

It’s a defined term.

You make out that racism began with black and white in the Americas.

We’ve been massacrering each other based on racial make up (and a dozen other things) for millennia....

no its not that.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@tryit: Are you racist? Sounds like you got something against white people. My parents/grandparents/great grandparents were never part of that stuff you mentioned, and I'm white. Don't compare my race with those people that did the heinous acts you mentioned. That's racist.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TryIt

@joshrmeyer said:

@tryit: Are you racist? Sounds like you got something against white people. My parents/grandparents/great grandparents were never part of that stuff you mentioned, and I'm white. Don't compare my race with those people that did the heinous acts you mentioned. That's racist.

yes I am a racist.

we already had that conversation several months ago.

but what I am saying is that the question of racism and what is or is not a 'double standard' is not rooted in words, its rooted in actions and not actions of simple inconvenience but actions that have large impactful consequences

what people are trying to do is to widdle down that into something similar to proper dinner time manners in hopes (it appears) people will not pay attention to police shootings and the like and even if they do make moral equivalence between a police shooting and someone being called a name and then ask 'its there a double standard'

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TryIt

@nibbin1191 said:

@tryit:

I couldn’t disagree with you more. That’s not the baseline for racism. America isn’t the world and the slave trade of America is a tiny drop in an ocean of despicable things the human race have enacted upon each other.

Was it awful? Most definitely! Utterly abhorrent.

But it doesn’t suddenly mean that Black Americans own racism.

As I said, it’s been happening for millennia.

As has segregation.

As has slavery. It wasn’t invented a few hundred years ago.

well then we disagree.

but one thing...humans are a species not a race.

I know its a common term but man does it make my skin crawl when I read it

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TryIt

@nibbin1191 said:

@tryit:

They’re actually interchangeable seeing as that form of the word “race” holds its roots in “razza” which means Species, kind or sort.....

which is even creepier then to talk about 'racism' and asking if one is ' a racist'

so given I am a racist does that mean I see blacks as a different species?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TryIt

@nibbin1191 said:

@tryit:

On a fundamental, basic level; sort’ve yes.

But that’s not the point.

Everyone is entitled to their views. That’s the great thing about a free thinking society but I’m failing to see what, precisely, you disagree with.

That slavery has been around for millennia?

Or that racial discrimination (and discrimination of all kinds) has been around for millennia.

No one should be made to feel guilty about something that’s out of their control.

guilt is one thing

trying to twist racism into being morally outraged that someone is racist toward you without it being anywhere remotely close to the same level of impact and then try to suggest implicitly that it is the same...is completely different! by a long shot.

well anyway, I am not a specieists, I dont think blacks are a different species. so fix it please, two different words for those two different things, unless one is trying to suggest blacks are a different species from human which very well maybe the orgin of the use of the word

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TryIt

@nibbin1191 said:

@tryit:

I’m not outraged, I’m saying you can’t have one rule for some and another for others in regards to racism ....

EXACTLY!

because its NOT the same.

a black man being shot by a police officer is not the same as a black man calling you a cracker (for example).

the moral equivalency is a tactic of the alt right to make a protest about police shooting a black man equal to a protest of a city removing a statue of a confederate. cities to this day still have areas called 'Wards' do you know the history of that? did you know that prisions have 'wards'. so this history is not old

its not racially equivalent

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

There are double standards to everything in life. Life isn't fair. Never was, never will be.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
@judaspete said:

There is a double standard, but this particular instance is not a great example. She was counter trolling in response to some racist stuff people were tweeting at her. She was up front about this during the interview process with the NYT and they felt she adequately explained herself.

And really, if you can't figure out this is a joke, I don't know what to tell you.

Another example of a double standard would be getting upset at her for not taking the high road when she was attacked online by racist trolls, but not also being at least equally upset about the fact that she was attacked online by racist trolls...

-Byshop

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TryIt

@nibbin1191 said:

@tryit:

But there you are trying to play victim stakes again. It doesn’t achieve anything.

so you ARE trying to make moral equivalence and lessen the importance of the radical difference.

I can see right thru you now

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@judaspete: Totally agree with you about it being a troll response to being trolled.

Now replace the word white in her tweets with black, and ask yourself if she would still have her job if she wasn't Asian.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Yes.

It's always been this way, though. Nothing new among tribalists.

The individual is the greatest minority.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TryIt

@nibbin1191 said:

@tryit: I thought we were having a worthwhile discussion but apparently we aren't.

Racism is wrong, no matter who it's aimed at. It has never been ok in my view and will never be ok.

no sorry the degree of it does matter

in fact racism is fine, its the action one takes that matters.

shooting a person because of their race is in fact worse then thinking a person is stupid because of their race. they are NOT the same

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7266 Posts

@blackhairedhero said:

@judaspete: Ohhh so it's ok because it's a joke?

So white people can tell racist jokes and keep their jobs? As long as it's a joke?

Lmao!

In this case, she is responding to racism with humor. I don't know of an equivalent situation happening to a white person, but if you do, post a link and I will concede. Not sure what the equivalent slurs against whites would be, "toothless hick high on Denny's" or something?

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Blackhairedhero

@judaspete: Did you read all the tweets? Some of those don't sound like jokes and no there is no proof of her responding to anyone harassing her.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Yes, there's a double standard to be sure these days. But I wish we could all just forget race and remember that we are all just one species (a pipe dream). Hell we are all more closely related than the finches in the Galapagos Islands, who can't even breed successfully.