Is the 2010s the worst decade for music? (1960s on)

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 the_plan_man
Member since 2011 • 1664 Posts

Think about all of the decades and the music available for music. Even though there was bad music in every decade, this decade seems as though every genre has been "dance" and "pop"-ified. Guitars have kind of disappeared for a large part from music, and a lot of the music has not withstood the test of time as they have before. What do you think?

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Too early to tell since the decade isn't even finished.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I can't say much for pop overall. My impression is that Gaga, Perry etc. are about as good as their counterparts in the 80's. But rock is completely dead, buried and rotted away. Whatever the **** they call it, indie-alt-synth rock and all that shit, is completely worthless. That's my view of foreign music, in my own country there's not much worthwhile, the only thing that still makes success in the industry is Gospel music.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#4  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

For most people, music was always the best around the time they were born and then went downhill.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

@korvus: Yep. People complaining about the new generation of music. History repeats itself.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

You are too close to the forest to see the trees.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#7 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@one_plum: "Back in my generation we knew how to be decent people...these new generations though..." =P

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Popular =\= what's available.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

@Masculus: Haha. That "indie-synth-alt rock shit" is probably my favorite. This whole new-wave/post-punk revival is the best thing that's ever happened to me.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shmiity

@the_plan_man: A large part of guitar-oriented music from 2000-now has been this big new-wave/post punk revival thing. Lots of bands taking cues from late 70's and 80's bands like The Smiths, U2, Depeche Mode, Television, The Cure, Psychedelic Furs, and that sort of thing. (Example, The Killers, The Strokes, ect). Lots of danceable, disco-y rock out there. Newer bands (2010-now) that are decent would be The Drums, Two Door Cinema Club, The 1975, and others.

I'm big into this new-wave thing, so the bands right now are awesome for me. But people looking for classic rock stuff have nothing to buy or look forward to in popular music.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

Uhh no,that's silly. Music is still incredible relevant and just because its not about rock music anymore (which is sad) doesn't make it any less important.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Rock still exists....

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

I think there are still a lot of quality rock bands out there but you just have to dig a little deeper than you had to in the past. I like Queens of the Stone Age, Nick Cave, Japandroids, Parquet Courts, Ty Segall, Thee Oh Sees, Oblivians, Eagulls, etc

The National are my favorite band but I have a feeling they'd be grouped in with that indie shit or whatever

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shmiity

@LJS9502_basic: You are correct.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Metal is not dead .... Only fake metal like babymetal, emometal popmetal, powerpop (lol) is dead with Nsync and backstreetboys

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Eh, I haven't minded the explosion of dubstep personally and the techno infusion has at least made pop a bit more interesting.

In terms of rock though, it has had some real bright spots. Cage the Elephant is one of the best rock bands to hit the radio in quite sometime. On top of that, both Muse and Linkin Park managed to stop their sucking streaks with their most recent albums and it even sounds like Linkin Parks upcoming album might be quite badass.

On top of that, Avenged Sevenfold released their second best album (IMO) in 2010 (granted their most recent one sucked ass) and we still have bands like Opeth and Dillinger Escape Plan around.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

You can find good music if you know where to look. I've got no inherent hate for pop-music but hearing the same top songs day after day really makes me hate some stuff. I like listening to the college radio stations as they're always playing new music from various lesser known artists, if I find something I like then I make note of it and go looking for other music by them.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

You can find good music if you know where to look. I've got no inherent hate for pop-music but hearing the same top songs day after day really makes me hate some stuff. I like listening to the college radio stations as they're always playing new music from various lesser known artists, if I find something I like then I make note of it and go looking for other music by them.

I don't listen to new music, but this is a very good point.

Keep in mind WHY I stopped listening to music. It wasn't because I think that new music is shit, it's because there was all this new music that was so easily accessible and I decided I wasn;t willing to put in the effort to sort through that massive amount of content in order to find stuff I liked.

And that's sort of the big point. When it comes to being able to make music and making it available for a shitload of people to hear it, the barrier to entry is lower than it has ever been at any point in history. This means...1) we end up hearing a lot more crap, and 2) logic dictates that you're going to have a shitload of extremely talented people making music.

In other words, the barrier of entry has gotten lowered so much that being really fucking good isn't good enough. This means that there's a lot more trash getting widespread exposure, it also means that there's a lot more great shit flying under the radar because being great isn't sufficient for it to be culturally relevant.

Bottom line: the lowered barrier to entry means that in all probability there is more great music available now than there has ever been at any point in human history. The only problem is that people have to work harder to find it since there's also now a lot more trash.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

I don't think modern music is necessarily bad, there's just a ton of garbage to sift through to find the gems. It has been like that through much of history so not much has changed.

I enjoy the likes of Charlie Parker, Duke Ellington, and Django Reinhardt; not too much in the way of swing or big bands nowadays though.

I prefer making my own music! That way if it's crap I have no one to blame but myself :) Just started on the violin 3 days ago, will see how that goes.

RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By RushKing
Member since 2009 • 1785 Posts

@the_plan_man said:

Think about all of the decades and the music available for music. Even though there was bad music in every decade, this decade seems as though every genre has been "dance" and "pop"-ified. Guitars have kind of disappeared for a large part from music, and a lot of the music has not withstood the test of time as they have before. What do you think?

There's oceans of guitars. This is just some local music I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxPZh-uRHdE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj4yKzYfY0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDZvkr7_Tf8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DhoOtGtUIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDMb7v0UhJg

I think this may turn out to be my favourite decade. The metal scene around here is exploding.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

no way to answer that objectively..

dominer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dominer
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

Lol, no the early 2000's. All that angsty hard rock and nu-metal garbage, no thanks. Rap wasn't doing so good either until Kanye came around.

TheGromble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 TheGromble
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

It definitely seems that way, off the top of my head the only modern artist I listen to are Action Bronson,Death Grips,Ghost BC,Tame Impala,and of course Lil B. It could also be an illusion though as nostalgia often distorts reality, we've always had shitty music but as time passes those artist and bands dwindle into obscurity.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

music is getting worse and worse.

on top of that.

nobody writes their own music

nobody sings their own music

the industry is a joke. That's why I pirate everything. Cause **** those guys.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts

I think mainstream music has been getting worse, imo. There's still good music, too, you just gotta look for it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

on top of that.

the industry is a joke.

You obviously listen to the wrong music.....

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

on top of that.

the industry is a joke.

You obviously listen to the wrong music.....

it's basically all pop and rap. I don't listen to it.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#30 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@hippiesanta: 2010's has had some great metal albums, most have been from older bands still active. Iroundbound by Overkill is there best album in my opinion(and most will agree its at least one of their best) same goes for Iced Earth with Dystopia and Anthrax with Worship music.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Probs not

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

I'd say 2000s are worse. The internet has exposed a lot of really talented people, who just don't hear it on the radio. One of my new personal favorites is Of Monsters and Men.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#33 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

I think some of my favorite albums have come out in the last couple of years. Channel Orange was just....fantastic. And Oneriology was awesome to.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

every decade has been called the worst decade for music. every decade has been called the best decade for music.

music is subjective, so you will never get a definitive answer as to whats good or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

looking back, 70s, 90s, 80s, 60s, and 2000, in that order.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Considering the albums released by Byzantine ("Byzantine"), Fleshgod Apocalypse ("Labyrinth"), Suffocation ("Pinnacle of Bedlam"), The Ocean ("Pelagial"), Immolation ("Kingdom of Conspiracy"), Carcass ("Surgical Steel"), Black Sabbath ("13"), Battlecross ("War of Will"), Children of Bodom ("Halo of Blood"), Black Dahlia Murder ("Everblack") and Inquisition ("Obscure Verses for the Multiverse")... just in 2013, I think you are incredibly incorrect.

Metal has never been better.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@thehig1 said:
Loading Video...

finger licking Goood