Is science running out of discoveries

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

With the Higgs boson being discovered and all past major discoveries in science, it's getting harder to find new discoveries and to find evidence for them. As we get closer to answers of the mysteries of life and the universe it's increasingly difficult to find the answers and all we are left with is a whole lot of speculation.

Science can only go so far to explain and discover things before it comes to a complete stand still. Do you agree? Or do you think science can go all the way to explain all the mysteries of life and death and the universe we live in?

Edit:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/04/140409-nobel-prize-physics-aging-scientists-string-theory-inflation/

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

No. Humans have barely existed a flicker.

Loading Video...

ScionGuy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 ScionGuy1
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

No. I don't think that Science can come to a complete stand still. Humanities ability to understand/control/use wisely said discoveries is what will cause a stalemate.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

No, science will not come to a complete stand still

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

Engineering is at a stand still, if not regressed a little. Basically, anything we have today is a smaller version of what we had before 1970, and a few things have been lost, such as sending humans past the moon. Electricity production still requires steam, engines still use fossil fuels and have regressed in mpg, nothing has replaced wood or steel for building, etc

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

lol the only way science will run out of discoveries is if the worlds explodes and everyone dies.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

I wouldn't say science as a whole is at a stand still but I do think physics has hit a bit of a road block - for the past few decades the most physics has seemed to achieve is the confirmation of things that we already knew were probably true - there hasn't been any real groundbreaking discoveries in recent time.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38671 Posts

@joehult said:

Engineering is at a stand still, if not regressed a little. Basically, anything we have today is a smaller version of what we had before 1970, and a few things have been lost, such as sending humans past the moon. Electricity production still requires steam, engines still use fossil fuels and have regressed in mpg, nothing has replaced wood or steel for building, etc

"just a smaller version" lol no. engines have gotten much more efficient with their use of fuel. the 787 for example is like 50% composite materials.. not steel and wood...

also, we never sent humans past the moon.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

If we knew the answer to this question, then the human race would be doomed.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

I don't believe so. There is still much we can answer and will answer in the coming years. We are still in the process of advancing in space travel, quantum physics, and medicine. We still need to find solutions to cancer, vaccine for AIDS, we still need to increase efficiency in food, resource, and water consumption as well as advance in the area of bioengineering for robotic parts. We still need to advance in Artifical Intelligence and we have to accomplish our "distant be soon" energy source known as FUSION. We still need to advance in areas of psychology to understand cures for mental illnesses through brain manipulation. We need to advance in the area of genetic engineering and cyberspace.

There still a lot more for us to learn and do. A lot of it dealing with stuff here on Earth. We're still a young species and technology has no limit.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

there was the Higgs boson discovery, then the gravity waves were infered in the polorized cosmic microwave background radiation, but those are big discoveries that make headlines, science is always making breakthroughs a little at a time it just doesn't make mainstream news, this stuff is published in academic journals and such

anyhow, any perception that science is hitting a sensational discovery wall isn't a reason to go looking for satisfaction with pseudoscience New Age gurus like Deepak Chopra

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

We will always be more than our thoughts.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

we still don't know what happened before the big bang, that's something left to discover.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

TC:

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ariabed

@lamprey263: @-Sun_Tzu-: @Boddicker: Lol!!!! Ouch!!

@suntzu I didn't say science is at a stand still I said could "it come to a stand still"? my friend.

@lamprey, deepak chopra only commented on biocentrism the founder of the hypothesis is a dr Lanza Robert Paul Lanza (born 11 February 1956) is an American medical doctor, scientist, Chief Scientific Officer of Advanced Cell Technology (ACT)[1] and Adjunct Professor at the Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine. I'm not saying and wasn't saying he's right just thought was an interesting concept.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

There will always be problems to solve on this planet, and we will always strive to get out to the stars. Once we can do that, there will be a whole new set of things to explore and discover.

If the time that we know everything comes, it won't be for thousands, if not millions of years.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ariabed

@4myAmuzumament: @RadecSupreme: I should have made clear which I now have in my opening statement, I know there will always be advances in technology and in medicine stuff like that but I'm talking about advances in finding out and answering the mysteries to the universe and life. Do you think science can take us all the answers?

@4myamusement, what if our science isn't strong enough to find out what happened b4 the Big Bang. I think there will come a point where science will hit a road block.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Nah.We still haven't even invented portals yet.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ariabed

@jimkabrhel: ok but will our science be able to solve/undersandatand and explain these new discoveries? is there a point at which science will not be sophisticated/advanced enough?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

@ariabed said:

@jimkabrhel: ok but will our science be able to solve/undersandatand and explain these new discoveries? is there a point at which science will not be sophisticated/advanced enough?

You are ignoring that scientific techniques are advancing very quickly. We have been able to observe single atoms, and even a single electron. We are still discovering other fundamental particles. I have no doubts that we will be able to advance our technology as we reach further and further out into space.

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

To be honest it's really up in the air. The vast distances of the universe is something we cannot overcome.

Despite no evidence of extraterrestrial life, I believe it's rather common in the universe. We could get a message right now and depending on the distance that civilization could long be extinct.

The universe is too large of a place, and were definitely not the only planet with life out there. Humans may never know the answer. Not to mention the resources required it's really a huge uphill battle for humanity, but who knows.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ariabed

@betamaxx83: yeah the universe is vast but we are able to see right to the edge of it and we can study and gather data on the most distant galaxies with infared/radio/multi wavelength telescopes. We just can't physically travel those distances.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

What if it is?

Science was generated out of the human species' innate curiosity about the world around them. I doubt there will be any limitation on things to look at for many generations to come (getting humans to Mars alone will open a thousand fold new avenues).

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

"Everything that can be invented has beeninvented"

Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. patent office, 1899

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ariabed

@surrealnumber5: uhuh there just making better versions of things that have already been invented, but I guess your saying that back in 1899 they thought that everything had been invented that will be invented, and look how much that has been invented since then. I know there will be lots more technological Advances in science medicine, tech things like that.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@ariabed said:

@betamaxx83: yeah the universe is vast but we are able to see right to the edge of it and we can study and gather data on the most distant galaxies with infared/radio/multi wavelength telescopes. We just can't physically travel those distances.

Nope

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chaoscougar1
@ariabed said:

@surrealnumber5: uhuh there just making better versions of things that have already been invented, but I guess your saying that back in 1899 they thought that everything had been invented that will be invented, and look how much that has been invented since then. I know there will be lots more technological Advances in science medicine, tech things like that.

So eloquent

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

On planet Earth? Maybe. Out there in the universe? Maybe after we build mass relays capable of sending out research teams to explore every nook and cranny of every galaxy with planet wide scanners capable of interpreting all form of life and matter on a planet would it become remotely possible to run out of things to discover......well that's excluding the cycle of evolution of course...

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ariabed

@chaoscougar1: ok we can see 13 billion light years into the past, where the light from galaxies is to far away to reach us yet so all we can see is the cosmic microwave background radiation, it's to the edge of what we can observe. Not the edge of the universe.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ariabed

@tocool340: @tocool340: it's funny you say that cos I was reading an article about scientist who are already thinking about FTL travel with warp drives, and things like that so the stuff of science fiction could become reality.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

what a silly question

Temesra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Temesra
Member since 2012 • 158 Posts

@joehult:

@joehult said:

I agree on the Engineering thing.

Personal automobiles like cars and trucks. Still travel at roughly the same speeds as 50 years ago, with some (minor very minor) tweaks and improvements in gas mileage and such.

Farming - roughly the same crop yields-per-acre as 50 years ago.

Building houses or apartments. Still done very much as it was done 50, or even 150 years ago. In many ways they built cheap now and way better before.

Airplanes - still traveling at roughly the speeds that were available 50 years ago, with some improvements in carrying capacity at the upper ends of commercial aircraft sizes. (Heck, we don't even have the Concorde flying anymore... )

Getting in space is bit cheaper than 50 years ago !! but still too costly for space mining or people living on the moon or mars.

Rocketry not really that much better than 50 years ago.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#33 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

@wis3boi:

Glad somebody said it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

No. In fact, it's the opposite. Each discovery leads to new possible discoveries to be made that were possible before.

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

@ariabed: We can only see the "observable" universe. It's much much bigger.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By chaoscougar1

@ariabed said:

@chaoscougar1: ok we can see 13 billion light years into the past, where the light from galaxies is to far away to reach us yet so all we can see is the cosmic microwave background radiation, it's to the edge of what we can observe. Not the edge of the universe.

I'm impressed!
But not 100% correct
Cosmic background radiation is still part of the electromagnetic light spectrum
That photo (Using infra-red light I believe)
Is used because it can permeate into the early universe through the extremely dense gas clouds where visible light was MIA
Its not that the galaxies are too far away that where the visible light hasn't reached us yet.
Its the fact that the further you look back in space, the further you look back in time
So the earliest visible light we can observe is about 300,000 years after the Big Bang

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ariabed

@Starshine_M2A2: @wis3boi: why is it a silly question? I actually got the idea for this thread from a very respectable scientific website, who posed the very same question, infact they had it in the form of a statement not a question. They were saying that the gaps of time inbetween major discoveries and noble prizes is steadily increasing and if it carries on no one will live long enough to win one. So I just took from that and posed it as a question on here to see if you guys agreed or not, that is all.

Don't be scared of what you don't understand.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ariabed

@chaoscougar1: @betamaxx83: yeh know I corrected my mistake a few comments after that lol

@chaoscougar, it's amazing that we can look back so close to the birth of our universe, mind blowing.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

Not even remotely close.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Starshine_M2A2

@ariabed:

It's a silly question because you're measuring scientific discoveries by how often they win a Nobel prize. Science has absolutely nothing to do with winning prizes or personal glory - it's about furthering mankind as a whole. New scientific discoveries are made every day in just about every field from animal science to genetic engineering and healthcare. Just because we haven't landed on Mars yet doesn't diminish their importance if they find a cure for cancer now, does it?

And I'm afraid you cannot disregard advancements in technology as not being breakthroughs in science since 90% of all science revolves around it. Hell, without breakthroughs in technology they wouldn't have found the Higgs Boson to begin with...

So, I think the only person who doesn't understand here is you.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ariabed

@Starshine_M2A2: oh what a surprise another annoying twat. Now I know you can read can't you let me tell you again you stupid person, I'm not measuring anything with anything I got the idea from this website

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/04/140409-nobel-prize-physics-aging-scientists-string-theory-inflation/

Now if people are reading this and wondering why I'm annoyed it's because I already told this stupid person in reply to him calling this thread silly that I got the idea for this thread from a website^^^

I told him that said website said the time gap between Nobel awards and major discoveries was getting bigger, you can all read it for yourselves it's here a few comments up from this one, then he sends me this "It's a silly question because you're measuring scientific discoveries by how often they win a Nobel prize"

Now as you now know I'm not measuring anything with anything, the website is the one running this topic, I just brought it here to discuss with you guys. What's up with this guy?

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ariabed

@Starshine_M2A2: so you don't understand sunshine you don't understand plain fucking English. Twat

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Hmm I don't think that as of now science has already come to a standstill. However, I do consider the possibility of it coming to a standstill in the future rather seriously. Science is the creation of the human species, a form of life that exists exclusively on planet earth. It is the product of the human mind, its capacities and composition, and the interaction of the aforementioned with both nature on earth and other human minds. You could say that this is the formula that created and maintains science. Nothing is infinite in that formula so it stands to reason that the output is not infinite either. In fact some of the inputs are not only finite, but could be said to be perishable/degradable too. So in a sense, science hitting a plateau in the future is not a worst case scenario. A worst case scenario would be that science becomes unable to maintain whatever volume or intensity it managed to reach, and be forced to undergo a devolution where the drive and desire to ascent will be replaced by the desperate want of avoiding descend. And after the advent of WMD, the notion that we may end up shooting ourselves in the foot is not far fetched at all. I conceive that science will only be able to secure itself and ensure an ever going ascent via terraformation which is unfortunately far from being within out reach right now.

Slightly off topic, I am positive that the world has been diminishing in intellect and virtue for some time now. That I can be assertive about.

The_Mancunian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 The_Mancunian
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I think this is a ridiculous question. There's no limit to how far science can go; there's still so much we don't know, and so many little discoveries and more knowledge every single day.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By chaoscougar1

@ariabed said:

@Starshine_M2A2: oh what a surprise another annoying twat. Now I know you can read can't you let me tell you again you stupid person, I'm not measuring anything with anything I got the idea from this website

Now if people are reading this and wondering why I'm annoyed it's because I already told this stupid person in reply to him calling this thread silly that I got the idea for this thread from a website^^^

I told him that said website said the time gap between Nobel awards and major discoveries was getting bigger, you can all read it for yourselves it's here a few comments up from this one, then he sends me this "It's a silly question because you're measuring scientific discoveries by how often they win a Nobel prize"

Now as you now know I'm not measuring anything with anything, the website is the one running this topic, I just brought it here to discuss with you guys. What's up with this guy?

rawwwwrrrrrrrrrr

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ariabed

@the_mancunian: tell these guys it's ridiculous

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Starshine_M2A2

@ariabed: Well, you're clearly in need of a major scientific breakthrough...

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ariabed

@Starshine_M2A2: oh really, says he who can't understand plain ass English, at the end of the day, you've made out that the comment about the awards and the discoveries are my comments when I clearly told you they are the comments from the web site.

You are not right in the head

Also the icing on the cake this guy is a moderator, so we have moderators on this site going around, provoking reactions out of people and then handing out violations, when he gets a rise out of them, great one

Please everyone my comment is 11 comments up from this one please read it, his reply is 3 comments down from that one.

I also posted a link to the website in my reply to his comment 10 comments up

I'll admit I could of handled it differently and not let it get to me, but he also could of handled things differently.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Starshine_M2A2

@ariabed:

And yet you stated that it was your idea given to you by this article...

Don't shift the blame, mate.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ariabed

@Starshine_M2A2: don't you dare call me mate, I bet you don't have any mates I CLEARLY!!! Told you that statement was from the website why can't you get that into your tiny brain, yes it was my idea to bring the topic to this forum but that's it.

As a moderator surely you're not supposed to get into arguments in threads, and here you are causing arguments.

Good job MATE!!