Is Rick and Morty considerably overrated in your opinion?

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I bought the three Blu-rays, because I don't have TV. I'm a few episodes into season 3 now. I like it, but I find myself rather watching wholesome kid's cartoons, like Batman and Samurai Jack (the other shows I'm watching). R&M feels sometimes like it's trying too hard to be edgy and out there. A lot of the vulgar jokes fall flat for me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

Season 5 of Samurai Jack most definitely isn't a kids cartoon.

But yea, I watched a few seasons of Rick and Morty and it didn't really do anything for me. Same with Family Guy. Stuff like the original 3 seasons of the Simpsons and pretty much all of King Of The HIll I love.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#3 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

This is a show I want to watch. I’ve heard Steven Universe is great too. But, I’m so behind on my backlog of things to watch these’ll Just have to wait.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56065 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:

I bought the three Blu-rays, because I don't have TV. I'm a few episodes into season 3 now. I like it, but I find myself rather watching wholesome kid's cartoons, like Batman and Samurai Jack (the other shows I'm watching). R&M feels sometimes like it's trying too hard to be edgy and out there. A lot of the vulgar jokes fall flat for me.

To me, Rick & Morty has some pretty clever writing to it. I really like it. It's twisted, creative, and has great dialogue and it kind of amuses me how Morty is a bit of a player lol. I don't think it's overrated to say the least, just happens to be a really good cartoon show and so much better then let's say Family Guy, American Dad, or Bobs Burgers.

The only cartoon I think is overrated is The Boondocks but that's just my opinion.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

Rick and Morty is great. Twisted and smart, with incredible social commentary that manages to be both unbiased and not preachy. It simultaneously pushes the limits, but doesn't break them. It jumps from heart breaking to witty to gross to WTF?

I've watched all the seasons about four times at this point. I've only done that with Futurama, King of the Hill, and...that's about it.

Very very very rarely is there ever a show that is almost as good the fifth time you've seen it as it was the first time, and Rick and Morty is one of those shows.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Rick and Morty is great. Twisted and smart, with incredible social commentary that manages to be both unbiased and not preachy. It simultaneously pushes the limits, but doesn't break them. It jumps from heart breaking to witty to gross to WTF?

I've watched all the seasons about four times at this point. I've only done that with Futurama, King of the Hill, and...that's about it.

Very very very rarely is there ever a show that is almost as good the fifth time you've seen it as it was the first time, and Rick and Morty is one of those shows.

Yeah, it's great. The quality of the writing is what does it for me. There's edge to it, but it's not edgy for edgy's sake unless you count the generally nihilistic outlook of the show. Morty is the moral compass of the show (most of the time) but every time he tries to intervene to circumvent Rick's amoral actions he invariably makes things worse. The show is great at subverting expectations, which is one of the main things I look for in any show is something that can keep me guessing.

@davillain- said:

To me, Rick & Morty has some pretty clever writing to it. I really like it. It's twisted, creative, and has great dialogue and it kind of amuses me how Morty is a bit of a player lol. I don't think it's overrated to say the least, just happens to be a really good cartoon show and so much better then let's say Family Guy, American Dad, or Bobs Burgers.

Yeah, I totally agree. I enjoy those other three shows but Rick and Morty is a different level. Not surprising though considering it's Dan Harmon and how awesome Community was. You and I are absolutely on the same page!

@davillain- said:

The only cartoon I think is overrated is The Boondocks but that's just my opinion.

I loved The Boondocks. Not every episode was gold but the good ones were hilarious. "Attack of the Killer Kung-Fu Wolf Bitch" ft Aisha Tyler was one of my favorites and was a precursor to the kind of voice acting fun we'd get from her in Archer. Granddad's internet blind date was awesome.

Loading Video...

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#7 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@ezekiel43: I think the first two seasons of Rick and Morty were pretty great, but it was at some point in season 3 that it really had lost momentum. I still like the show, it just doesn't feel the same now.

I think part of it is, I kind of became a fan of R&M before it became really popular. I remember in 2015 I was watching episodes and really liking the show, after it got promoted on a podcast I was listening to. At that point people just weren't talking about it. But about a year later it had finally caught on enough and become a big hit. I think the creators of the show were kind of caught off-guard by the phenomenon, and struggled with the show keeping its edge after it had cemented a big fan-base.

It doesn't help that the new seasons take lengthy timespans to produce. People were itching for season 3 well before it unveiled, and especially after the interest-generating surprise April Fool's Day launch of the first episode of the new season. And then there was a lull and wait until the rest of that season aired. Now we've gone over a year without a brand new season or episode - and no, the Bush World Adventures short doesn't count!

I think some of the other shows mentioned in this thread - The Simpsons, Futurama, King of the Hill, and even South Park are still more enduring adult cartoons. But maybe Rick and Morty is edgy or unpredictable enough to strike some new ground when the fourth season finally does come along.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Byshop  Moderator

@Ovirew said:

@ezekiel43: I think the first two seasons of Rick and Morty were pretty great, but it was at some point in season 3 that it really had lost momentum. I still like the show, it just doesn't feel the same now.

I think part of it is, I kind of became a fan of R&M before it became really popular. I remember in 2015 I was watching episodes and really liking the show, after it got promoted on a podcast I was listening to. At that point people just weren't talking about it. But about a year later it had finally caught on enough and become a big hit. I think the creators of the show were kind of caught off-guard by the phenomenon, and struggled with the show keeping its edge after it had cemented a big fan-base.

It doesn't help that the new seasons take lengthy timespans to produce. People were itching for season 3 well before it unveiled, and especially after the interest-generating surprise April Fool's Day launch of the first episode of the new season. And then there was a lull and wait until the rest of that season aired. Now we've gone over a year without a brand new season or episode - and no, the Bush World Adventures short doesn't count!

I think some of the other shows mentioned in this thread - The Simpsons, Futurama, King of the Hill, and even South Park are still more enduring adult cartoons. But maybe Rick and Morty is edgy or unpredictable enough to strike some new ground when the fourth season finally does come along.

Rick and Morty burns pretty brightly, but it may end up lasting less time than those other shows because of that.

-Byshop

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Yes, I think it is overrated. Specially Season 1, I couldn't believe how many of the episodes dragged on. I really thought I wasn't going to make it to Season 2 (my policy is to finish a Season once I have started it no matter what). And then this happened:

Loading Video...

If not for this episode and the last episode I would have never made it to Season 2 (which in my opinion started slow again).

But I like the series and I'm looking forward to Season 4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I think the show is good, and considering we no longer have a Star Trek Animated show or Futurama, I can see why people are drawn to it.

But I do think their fanbase is too hardcore. Like that whole McDonalds sauce thing was whack sauce.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#11 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Everything is overrated.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#12 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@ezekiel43:

It relies on having a pretty lenient sense of humor. If you're easily offended by certain jokes then the rest of the show falls flat. I personally love it.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@ezekiel43:

It relies on having a pretty lenient sense of humor. If you're easily offended by certain jokes then the rest of the show falls flat. I personally love it.

I'm not offended.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts
@Byshop said:

Rick and Morty burns pretty brightly, but it may end up lasting less time than those other shows because of that.

-Byshop

It's gonna be around for awhile despite not airing as frequently as other shows--Adult Swim picked up the show for an additional 70 episodes last May.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Byshop  Moderator

@hallenbeck77 said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

It's gonna be around for awhile despite not airing as frequently as other shows--Adult Swim picked up the show for an additional 70 episodes last May.

I love the show, and I'd love another 70 eps, but compared to Simpsons, Family Guy and American Dad that's not much. I don't see the show lasting anywhere near as long as these others shows, partially because the quality is so high. I can't imagine Rick and Morty maintaining that level for hundreds of episodes.

-Byshop