BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BboyStatix
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

So in my mind I think piracy/torrenting is equivalent to stealing, I know torrenting(as in torrenting stuff ur not supposed to torrent) is usually not illegal in most countries but I heard its classified as an ethical wrong.

But my friend asked me, if you buy a game and ur friends come over to play is that wrong? Is lending a game to someone wrong? If we put things this way, there seems to be no problem with torrenting. The seeder is just lending the game to everybody.

What do you guys think?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

In my mind it's stealing... if everyone did it then no money would be made by the developers/producers and in the end everyone would suffer. I have cousins who download pirated movies all the time and it annoys the sh** out of me.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

It's not ethical, but over the years I've learned that most people justify it by claiming that the owners of the pirated materials are rich and greedy and as a result deserve to be ripped off. I actually have more respect for pirates that will flat out say that they pirate because they are too poor or cheap to pay for the materials than the ones that use the excuse that they are screwing over the rich for pirating.

I could understand people that pirate in countries that otherwise have no other way to get the materials either due to extreme poverty or legal restrictions such as trade embargoes.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

Eh, I don't know what I feel about it honestly... I've never pirated a game, but I often stream movies. I've never downloaded or made copies of them, for some reason that part feels wrong to me, but I do watch a lot of movies online. I typically will buy the movies I feel are worth it.

I understand why people may view this as unethical but it seems weird to me that I'm just supposed to fork over my money for a product when I don't know if it will be any good or not. This way I buy a movie after I know it's good. In my eyes, it's kind of like if you could only buy a car after seeing a series of short videos about the car... then you're shit outta luck if it doesn't run well.

EDIT: Also, I don't see how anyone can think pirating is wrong but be okay with borrowing games or buying used games.... there isn't a difference when it comes to the content creators getting money for their work.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I pirate movies, games or music. I own many of them legally also. All depends on my savings, if i can afford to buy i buy, if not i pirate.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BboyStatix

@indzman: Are you okay with that? I mean you could just... I don't know...not buy the things you can't afford?

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Definitely is illegal. Most prevalent is in the music business, as most of you know. The law is just too far behind the technology to do anything about it.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@BboyStatix: The difference between a person lending out their copy of a game is that while it's lent out they themselves cannot play it.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BboyStatix

@MuD3: We have game demos for that sort of stuff. I don't see how that justifies pirating the entertainment product though. If there's no game demo, you just gotta try your luck. If a car owner doesn't let you go for a test drive it doesn't make it justified to steal the car for a test drive on your own.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BboyStatix

@Serraph105: Wow, can't believe I overlooked that. But at the same time, there's an issue. What if 3 friends decide to share the money for Arkham knight. The deal is that each person finishes the game and gives it to the next friend to finish. That's pretty messed up lol cuz none of them really lose anything by lending it out. They're done with the game already!

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By indzman

@BboyStatix said:

@indzman: Are you okay with that? I mean you could just... I don't know...not buy the things you can't afford?

Of course. No remorse. I buy original stuff too when i can afford, i don't feel gulity by pirating :)

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Serraph105

@Celldrax: I actually bought a clearly illicit copy of an old Disney show called Pepper Ann from a guy on a website. What else could I do? They don't sell the show on dvd or vhs and never have.

The show has a Thanksgiving episode that my girlfriend had a very bad copy of on VHS which broke while I was trying to get a digital copy from for her, and I actually begged several people from Disney for just that one episode, and amazingly they sent it to me. I suppose I could have begged them for the entire series, but that's not exactly a reasonable request.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BboyStatix

@indzman: Think about the children in Africa! Lol that was completely unrelated xD

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By indzman

@BboyStatix said:

@indzman: Think about the children in Africa! Lol that was completely unrelated xD

LOL

If i could, i'd definately love to send some of my money to Children in Africa lol. BTW i'm from india, a poor country and i'm a poor guy , its not possible for me to buy every games or movies or music, neither my government stops me from pirating stuff off internet. So i enjoy free stuff sometimes :)

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Serraph105

@BboyStatix said:

@Serraph105: Wow, can't believe I overlooked that. But at the same time, there's an issue. What if 3 friends decide to share the money for Arkham knight. The deal is that each person finishes the game and gives it to the next friend to finish. That's pretty messed up lol cuz none of them really lose anything by lending it out. They're done with the game already!

Again none of them could play it all at the same time.

I'm not going to play this game of what ifs with you because frankly I don't care if people torrent various types of media and in the case of low income areas (or 3rd world countries) actually support it. I say this due to the possibility of people coming up with new and beneficial concepts with the access of information they would otherwise not have. Take GazaAli for example (a gamespot user) who has used the internet to help teach himself English to better improve his existence. Who's to say watching torrented movies in english didn't directly contribute to a better understanding of the language?

The problem is in first world countries like ours where we live in an abundance of nearly everything there is just about no logical reason for torrenting (with the possible exception of having no legal method to obtain it). And again I don't actually if you do torrent various media, but don't try to logic your way into it being the right thing to do because there just isn't a scenario where it can really be justified.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

Uh...you guys do remember that admitting to illegal activities on this site is frowned upon, right?

It's one thing to discuss something that's illegal--it's something else altogether to admitting to it, hence the removed posts. If you continue to talk about how you pirate things off the internet, I'll have to close the thread.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Serraph105

@hallenbeck77: Is my admitting to buying something, let's say bad, outside the TOU? I'll remove it myself if it is.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BboyStatix

@Serraph105: No I don't torrent and I'm completely against it but im saying my friend brought up a logical point. I don't care how poor someone is and how piracy contributed to someone's well being or self improvrement. Stealing is stealing and that's that. But whether borrowing falls under that category that's what I'm asking people. I haven't borrowed any entertainment medium as of yet but I wanna know if it's wrong.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Serraph105

@BboyStatix said:

@Serraph105: No I don't torrent and I'm completely against it but im saying my friend brought up a logical point. I don't care how poor someone is and how piracy contributed to someone's well being or self improvrement. Stealing is stealing and that's that. But whether borrowing falls under that category that's what I'm asking people. I haven't borrowed any entertainment medium as of yet but I wanna know if it's wrong.

Try borrowing from the library. Anyways it's illegal, and people make up their own ethics so it's sorta whatever you want.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BboyStatix

@Serraph105: I wish we had a concrete set of ethics or morals :(

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

@Serraph105:

That's not as bad as openly admitting to pirating/torrenting, but still, shame! j/k.

I didn't moderate anyone, just simply removed the posts with no penalty.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Serraph105

@hallenbeck77: cool cool.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@BboyStatix said:

But my friend asked me, if you buy a game and ur friends come over to play is that wrong? Is lending a game to someone wrong? If we put things this way, there seems to be no problem with torrenting. The seeder is just lending the game to everybody.

lending a game to a friend and torrenting a game is not the same thing. The seeder is not lending the game to everybody.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts
@hallenbeck77 said:

Uh...you guys do remember that admitting to illegal activities on this site is frowned upon, right?

Well aware. But as I explained, it technically wasn't actually illegal.

Can't buy what isn't being sold.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 indzman

@hallenbeck77 said:

@Serraph105:

That's not as bad as openly admitting to pirating/torrenting, but still, shame! j/k.

I didn't moderate anyone, just simply removed the posts with no penalty.

Thanks for removing my posts Hallenbeck77. I really forgot GS TOS about admitting to piracy and stuff. Thanking you again for no penalty this time :)

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@hallenbeck77: ah i see, leaving no survivors!

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dylandr

@Iszdope said:

Aaaaaargh...pirates!

**** you.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dylandr

@Iszdope said:

@dylandr said:

@Iszdope said:

Aaaaaargh...pirates!

**** you.

But I don't wanna be a pirate.

Then i will have to shoot you land lubber!

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

It's wrong. You can't expect a company to spend millions for your entertainment and then you get it for free. Not only are you stealing but you are contributing to the downfall of something you like doing or listening to, which is a bit stupid. Then people complain about how money making is the main goal of companies rather than making a quality product, which is true to an extent, but it is probably influenced a little by some profits being lost to piracy.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dylandr

@Iszdope: me 'n gang will fok u up!

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dylandr

@Iszdope: this was the perfect moment for a matrix .GIF and you ruined your oppertunity, shame on you!

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dylandr

@Iszdope: disapproving nun disapproves!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#40 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

It's difficult to feel sorry for companies that actively treat the consumer like shit. When Ubisoft complains about 95% piracy rate, it;s kinda like a Pike complaining it's been caught by a fisherman.

On the other hand, you see people who try to make it sound like they are Robin Hood posting those stupid "piracy isn't stealing" pictures. refusing to take any responsibility to admit 1. It's easy 2. You can pretty much do it with little to no chance of repercussions.

To answer the qeastion: Yes, but when it comes to companies like Ubisoft, screw them.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dylandr

I'm a black wizard.

@Iszdope: I WILL SLAP THE BLACK OUT OF YOU!

Now you're gandalf the white!
Now you're gandalf the white!

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@BboyStatix said:

@MuD3: If a car owner doesn't let you go for a test drive it doesn't make it justified to steal the car for a test drive on your own.

Maybe not, but i'm not going to buy it unless I can drive it first. He'll never know I test drove it and if the drive is favorable he will make a sale he would not have otherwise.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dylandr

@Iszdope: It show's my power and that i am serious!

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Planeforger  Online
Member since 2004 • 19569 Posts

It's definitely illegal.

Whether it's unethical might entirely depend on a case-by-case basis.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dylandr

@Iszdope said:

@dylandr said:

@Iszdope: It show's my power and that i am serious!

You like to slap women do ya..?

Hmm.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dylandr

@Iszdope: