Is picking your race wrong?

  • 57 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for BSC14
#1 Posted by BSC14 (4187 posts) -

Just in general do you think it's wrong to want to live in an area that's all white if you're white? Or in an all black neighborhood if you're black...and so on?

Or maybe not going to a specific area or club or Church because the majority don't share your skin color?

That kind of thing...know what I mean?

Asking because I heard this guy on the radio saying that, that was a racist attitude but it seems to me that people flock to what's familiar to them.

What do you think?

Avatar image for SolidSnake35
#2 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58756 posts) -

Or flock away from what is a threat to them.

Avatar image for thegerg
#3 Posted by thegerg (18279 posts) -

no

Avatar image for Master_Live
#4 Edited by Master_Live (18815 posts) -

In the US, it isn't wrong if your are Hispanic or African American.

Avatar image for emil_fontz
#5 Posted by Emil_Fontz (799 posts) -

No. It's normal.

Avatar image for BSC14
#6 Posted by BSC14 (4187 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

In the US, it isn't wrong if your are Hispanic or African American.

Trying to figure out your meaning here.

Are you suggesting that it's a double standard and only acceptable for minorities?

Or do you really find it racist only of you're white or one of the other races not mentioned?

Avatar image for alim298
#7 Edited by alim298 (2747 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

to want to live in an area that's all white if you're white? Or in an all black neighborhood if you're black...and so on?

No it's not wrong.

@BSC14 said:

not going to a specific area or club or Church because the majority don't share your skin color?

Yes. It's wrong.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#8 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161966 posts) -

@alim298 said:

@BSC14 said:

to want to live in an area that's all white if you're white? Or in an all black neighborhood if you're black...and so on?

No it's not wrong.

@BSC14 said:

not going to a specific area or club or Church because the majority don't share your skin color?

Yes. It's wrong.

They are pretty much the same thing......

Avatar image for BSC14
#9 Posted by BSC14 (4187 posts) -

@alim298 said:

@BSC14 said:

to want to live in an area that's all white if you're white? Or in an all black neighborhood if you're black...and so on?

Yes.

@BSC14 said:

not going to a specific area or club or Church because the majority don't share your skin color?

No.

That is strange imo.

I would have leaned more the opposite direction being that your home is where you spend most your time and most people tend to want their homes surrounded by similar people.

On the other hand, not going to Church, restaurant etc because it has a large population of people that are a different color than you...well I think that's kind of crappy.

Avatar image for alim298
#10 Edited by alim298 (2747 posts) -

@BSC14: Yeah sorry I edited my post : $

@LJS9502_basic said:
@alim298 said:
@BSC14 said:

to want to live in an area that's all white if you're white? Or in an all black neighborhood if you're black...and so on?

No it's not wrong.

@BSC14 said:

not going to a specific area or club or Church because the majority don't share your skin color?

Yes. It's wrong.

They are pretty much the same thing......

Living with people in a neighborhood is 365 days. Going to a church is once a week.

Avatar image for whipassmt
#11 Edited by whipassmt (15375 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

Just in general do you think it's wrong to want to live in an area that's all white if you're white? Or in an all black neighborhood if you're black...and so on?

Or maybe not going to a specific area or club or Church because the majority don't share your skin color?

That kind of thing...know what I mean?

Asking because I heard this guy on the radio saying that, that was a racist attitude but it seems to me that people flock to what's familiar to them.

What do you think?

I wouldn't say it's wrong to want to live in an area where most people are ethnically and racially similar to you. There are a lot of factors that come into play, not just prejudices, but also legitimate concerns about crime rates and property values. Morally speaking it might be wrong to want to live in a neighborhood where there aren't large numbers of people of a certain race based on their race alone, but I don't think government should get involved here and try to forcibly diversify neighborhoods against the will of their residents. You shouldn't force unwanted neighbors on people.

As far as not going to a specific area or club, it's tough to say. In the U.S. at least, areas that have a lot of black or Hispanic people tend to be rough, and poor neighborhoods. Same thing with clubs. I think people have good reason to avoid certain areas or clubs, because there could be a legitimate safety concern, or people might feel awkward being the only white person in a club or the only black person in a club. Avoiding areas because you look down on the residents because of their race or income level, and feel superior to them, would be morally wrong.

However, not going to a certain church because of the race of most of its congregants/parishioners (or the church not welcoming you based on your race) would be wrong. The Bible is quite clear that there should not be partiality based on social status or ethnicity in the church. If a person doesn't want to worship in the same church as other people of other races/ethnicities, then that is going against the teaching of Christianity. Other religions however might not have the same teachings on this matter and may be more ethnically centered, though I do think Islam is similar to Christianity in this regard.

Avatar image for emil_fontz
#12 Posted by Emil_Fontz (799 posts) -

@thegerg said:

no

Would you be my neighbor, Greg?

Avatar image for thegerg
#13 Posted by thegerg (18279 posts) -

@emil_fontz said:

@thegerg said:

no

Would you be my neighbor, Greg?

It depends.

Avatar image for jasean79
#14 Posted by jasean79 (2593 posts) -

I don't think it's racist at all to choose housing in neighborhoods that share the same "color" as you. Ideally, I'd like to get into a predominantly white neighborhood eventually. I just get a sense of better values from whites over Hispanics and Blacks. In my experience, white families take pride in their properties and maintaining them, they're generally more polite, and have a mutual respect for their neighbors.

Granted, I'm sure this isn't how it is in all areas, but where I live the example above pretty much sums it up for better neighborhoods - my ideal living situation and final destination once I get my finances in order.

Avatar image for branketra
#15 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

Here is a question:

Is it right?

Avatar image for thehig1
#16 Posted by thehig1 (6180 posts) -

I wouldn't really take into account the race, id be more interested in how safe the area seems and things like that. I don't like making the separation in the first place, people are people.

Of course that just what my thought process would be when picking a neighborhood to move into, I'd consider other factors than race of the population there.

Avatar image for gamerguru100
#17 Posted by gamerguru100 (12686 posts) -

Since humans are tribal by nature, no, it's not wrong.

Avatar image for AmazonTreeBoa
#18 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

No.

Avatar image for korvus
#19 Posted by korvus (10684 posts) -

I wouldn't do it since I don't really see much difference of values and attitudes between people with one skin colour or another...I notice differences mostly between cultures and education levels.

And no, I don't think it's wrong if you want to live on an all-white neighborhood, but if you decide you want to kick out all black people out of your neighborhood so it becomes all-white, then yeah...it's wrong.

Avatar image for SaintLeonidas
#20 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26735 posts) -

How does one pick their race? Last I heard, we were born into them.

Avatar image for gamerguru100
#21 Posted by gamerguru100 (12686 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas said:

How does one pick their race? Last I heard, we were born into them.

Don't stoop down to thegerg's level now.

Avatar image for SaintLeonidas
#22 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26735 posts) -

@gamerguru100 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

How does one pick their race? Last I heard, we were born into them.

Don't stoop down to thegerg's level now.

The exact response I expected.

Avatar image for hippiesanta
#23 Posted by hippiesanta (10299 posts) -

Is this what the american discuss all the time??? pfffttt

Avatar image for The_Last_Ride
#24 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

don't have that issue here, we pretty much have much of everything and there aren't any places that a lot of immigrants live or just native norwegians live

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#25 Posted by foxhound_fox (96695 posts) -

I do it all the time in RPG's.

Avatar image for DaJuicyMan
#26 Posted by DaJuicyMan (3555 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: Sounds nice

Avatar image for Nengo_Flow
#27 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10644 posts) -

I thought this topic was going to be about mix people and if its right if they pick one side of their race and dismiss the other.

Is it wrong to want to live in a white neighborhood if youre white, cuz thats the people you rather be around you when it comes to neighborhood life? no thats fine, as long as you dont say that the reason you move to an all white neighborhood is becuz you can stand X people and hate this and that about those X people, thats where you start to sound like a dick.

Avatar image for GreySeal9
#28 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

If someone wants to live in a neighborhood where most people share their skin color, I don't necessarily see a problem with that. Being the only white person or the only black person (or the only whatever person) in a neighborhood could potentially be uncomfortable.

If someone wants to live in a neighborhood that's "all white" or "all black" or "all (insert race)," that seems pretty racist to me. IMO, it suggests that a person doesn't want to encounter other races.

Avatar image for GreySeal9
#29 Edited by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -
@thehig1 said:

I wouldn't really take into account the race, id be more interested in how safe the area seems and things like that. I don't like making the separation in the first place, people are people.

Of course that just what my thought process would be when picking a neighborhood to move into, I'd consider other factors than race of the population there.

Wise post is wise.

Avatar image for indzman
#30 Posted by indzman (27377 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

I do it all the time in RPG's.

LMFAO

Avatar image for GreySeal9
#31 Edited by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

@whipassmt said:

@BSC14 said:

Just in general do you think it's wrong to want to live in an area that's all white if you're white? Or in an all black neighborhood if you're black...and so on?

Or maybe not going to a specific area or club or Church because the majority don't share your skin color?

That kind of thing...know what I mean?

Asking because I heard this guy on the radio saying that, that was a racist attitude but it seems to me that people flock to what's familiar to them.

What do you think?

I wouldn't say it's wrong to want to live in an area where most people are ethnically and racially similar to you. There are a lot of factors that come into play, not just prejudices, but also legitimate concerns about crime rates and property values. Morally speaking it might be wrong to want to live in a neighborhood where there aren't large numbers of people of a certain race based on their race alone, but I don't think government should get involved here and try to forcibly diversify neighborhoods against the will of their residents. You shouldn't force unwanted neighbors on people.

As far as not going to a specific area or club, it's tough to say. In the U.S. at least, areas that have a lot of black or Hispanic people tend to be rough, and poor neighborhoods. Same thing with clubs. I think people have good reason to avoid certain areas or clubs, because there could be a legitimate safety concern, or people might feel awkward being the only white person in a club or the only black person in a club. Avoiding areas because you look down on the residents because of their race or income level, and feel superior to them, would be morally wrong.

However, not going to a certain church because of the race of most of its congregants/parishioners (or the church not welcoming you based on your race) would be wrong. The Bible is quite clear that there should not be partiality based on social status or ethnicity in the church. If a person doesn't want to worship in the same church as other people of other races/ethnicities, then that is going against the teaching of Christianity. Other religions however might not have the same teachings on this matter and may be more ethnically centered, though I do think Islam is similar to Christianity in this regard.

^This is a great post BTW.

Avatar image for The_Last_Ride
#33 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@DaJuicyMan said:

@The_Last_Ride: Sounds nice

It is, we got selected as the best country to live in by the UN

Avatar image for udubdawgz1
#34 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (633 posts) -

@BSC14: lol, no, it's not "racist" to be black and want to live in a "black" area. yes, prejudice is not racism.

not wanting to go to some location because of your color is neither racism or prejudice.

it's called intelligence, depending, lol.

Avatar image for xeno_ghost
#35 Posted by Xeno_ghost (990 posts) -

@BSC14: "I would have leaned more the opposite direction being that your home is where you spend most your time and most people tend to want their homes surrounded by similar people"

"Similar people" WTF man people are people what the **** does it matter what colour their skin is? As long as they are decent good PEOPLE that's all that should matter.

Avatar image for bforrester420
#36 Edited by bforrester420 (3480 posts) -

I don't see anything wrong with wanting to be in an area predominantly composed of your peers, however, going so far as to exclude others you consider outside your "peer group" is wrong.

Crime is not a problem of race, it's a problem of economics. Crime is much more prevalent; whether the area is mostly white, black, or brown; where poverty persists.

Avatar image for udubdawgz1
#37 Edited by udUbdaWgz1 (633 posts) -

@bforrester420: lol at "peer group." i can go and do anything i want without prejudice for my decision. if i don't want to be around white guys who dunked on black players when they played, it's no big deal.

Avatar image for BSC14
#38 Edited by BSC14 (4187 posts) -

@xeno_ghost said:

@BSC14: "I would have leaned more the opposite direction being that your home is where you spend most your time and most people tend to want their homes surrounded by similar people"

"Similar people" WTF man people are people what the **** does it matter what colour their skin is? As long as they are decent good PEOPLE that's all that should matter.

Simmer down, hotrod.

Most people want to be surrounded by similar people. Being the type of people they are probably accustomed to and probably grew up with.

There are cultural differences between all colors of people that some might not appreciate. While we may all be equal and should be treated so, we may not want to be surrounded by these cultural differences.

There was a middle eastern family down the street from me that when they cooked you could smell it all the way down the street. They were in fact very nice people and better neighbors than most white families (when they were not making music in the house with their doors open) but some might not want to be surrounded by this all the time...and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Avatar image for bforrester420
#39 Edited by bforrester420 (3480 posts) -

@udubdawgz1 said:

@bforrester420: lol at "peer group." i can go and do anything i want without prejudice for my decision. if i don't want to be around white guys who dunked on black players when they played, it's no big deal.

I have no idea what this means. Are you agreeing or disagreeing?

Avatar image for udubdawgz1
#40 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (633 posts) -

@bforrester420: economics and "peer group?" lol, THAT'S your "argument?"

crime is not merely a problem or race, money or bubble bath. or, economics.

poverty exists where poverty is accepted.

my "peer group" point is that nobody but weak mindedness cares about "peer group" unless weak-minded is an attribute.

you're trying to argue crime and money and i'll just keep my "race" point, as well.

lol.

Avatar image for xeno_ghost
#41 Posted by Xeno_ghost (990 posts) -

@BSC14: True.

Avatar image for helwa1988
#42 Posted by helwa1988 (2157 posts) -

I would say it is wrong. In order to become a colorblind society we have to integrate with other who are different races. As long as people keep segregating themselves so that they are only around people who look like them, people will always see color.

Avatar image for bforrester420
#43 Posted by bforrester420 (3480 posts) -

@udubdawgz1 said:

@bforrester420: economics and "peer group?" lol, THAT'S your "argument?"

crime is not merely a problem or race, money or bubble bath. or, economics.

poverty exists where poverty is accepted.

my "peer group" point is that nobody but weak mindedness cares about "peer group" unless weak-minded is an attribute.

you're trying to argue crime and money and i'll just keep my "race" point, as well.

lol.

I didn't realize you made a point in your incoherent rambling. Go back to class and learn how to elucidate your "point".

Avatar image for Strakha
#44 Posted by Strakha (1824 posts) -

I think people should live where they want to live. Who cares? Just live where you want to and live and let live.

Avatar image for MirkoS77
#45 Posted by MirkoS77 (12559 posts) -

I'll go and do as I please no matter the demographics. Doesn't matter to me.

But I am proud to be white. Apparently that's somehow quite racist. No trouble that blacks can have their BET, yet if there were a WET station everyone would be screaming KKK at the top of their lungs.

Hypocrites.

Avatar image for thegerg
#46 Edited by thegerg (18279 posts) -

@helwa1988 said:

I would say it is wrong. In order to become a colorblind society we have to integrate with other who are different races. As long as people keep segregating themselves so that they are only around people who look like them, people will always see color.

"I would say it is wrong."

I think we need to look at the reason that the person wants to live there. For example, the area where I am planning to move is mostly white, and I'm white. Why would me wanting to move into a "white" neighborhood be bad?

Avatar image for bforrester420
#47 Posted by bforrester420 (3480 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

I'll go and do as I please no matter the demographics. Doesn't matter to me.

But I am proud to be white. Apparently that's somehow quite racist. No trouble that blacks can have their BET, yet if there were a WET station everyone would be screaming KKK at the top of their lungs.

Hypocrites.

There are other TV networks that, for all intents and purposes, are WET. They're called NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC, HGTV, etc, etc, etc...

Avatar image for helwa1988
#48 Posted by helwa1988 (2157 posts) -

@thegerg:

If you move to a neighborhood you like and it just happens to be white, then there is nothing wrong with that. But if a person moves to neighborhood for the sole reason that it is black or white then that is wrong.

Avatar image for jasean79
#49 Posted by jasean79 (2593 posts) -

@bforrester420 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

I'll go and do as I please no matter the demographics. Doesn't matter to me.

But I am proud to be white. Apparently that's somehow quite racist. No trouble that blacks can have their BET, yet if there were a WET station everyone would be screaming KKK at the top of their lungs.

Hypocrites.

There are other TV networks that, for all intents and purposes, are WET. They're called NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC, HGTV, etc, etc, etc...

Actually those networks are more racially diverse than anything, especially the liberal networks.

Avatar image for mesomorphin
#50 Posted by Mesomorphin (903 posts) -

No its not racist at all. People will flock to areas that they personally fit in with and feel comfortable with. I live in a beach city area, where most people are white and tanned and love to surf, this is not the kind of area where you would find black or asian people in because in general, its not the kind of thing that they are into.

People will try their hardest to make it seem as though its racist, but they are dry out of all topics and want to bring a bit of attention to themselves.