Is picking your race wrong?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

Just in general do you think it's wrong to want to live in an area that's all white if you're white? Or in an all black neighborhood if you're black...and so on?

Or maybe not going to a specific area or club or Church because the majority don't share your skin color?

That kind of thing...know what I mean?

Asking because I heard this guy on the radio saying that, that was a racist attitude but it seems to me that people flock to what's familiar to them.

What do you think?

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#2 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Or flock away from what is a threat to them.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

In the US, it isn't wrong if your are Hispanic or African American.

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Emil_Fontz
Member since 2014 • 799 Posts

No. It's normal.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BSC14

@Master_Live said:

In the US, it isn't wrong if your are Hispanic or African American.

Trying to figure out your meaning here.

Are you suggesting that it's a double standard and only acceptable for minorities?

Or do you really find it racist only of you're white or one of the other races not mentioned?

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@BSC14 said:

to want to live in an area that's all white if you're white? Or in an all black neighborhood if you're black...and so on?

No it's not wrong.

@BSC14 said:

not going to a specific area or club or Church because the majority don't share your skin color?

Yes. It's wrong.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

@alim298 said:

@BSC14 said:

to want to live in an area that's all white if you're white? Or in an all black neighborhood if you're black...and so on?

No it's not wrong.

@BSC14 said:

not going to a specific area or club or Church because the majority don't share your skin color?

Yes. It's wrong.

They are pretty much the same thing......

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BSC14

@alim298 said:

@BSC14 said:

Yes.

@BSC14 said:

No.

That is strange imo.

I would have leaned more the opposite direction being that your home is where you spend most your time and most people tend to want their homes surrounded by similar people.

On the other hand, not going to Church, restaurant etc because it has a large population of people that are a different color than you...well I think that's kind of crappy.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@BSC14: Yeah sorry I edited my post : $

@LJS9502_basic said:
@alim298 said:
@BSC14 said:

No it's not wrong.

@BSC14 said:

Yes. It's wrong.

They are pretty much the same thing......

Living with people in a neighborhood is 365 days. Going to a church is once a week.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11  Edited By whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@BSC14 said:

Just in general do you think it's wrong to want to live in an area that's all white if you're white? Or in an all black neighborhood if you're black...and so on?

Or maybe not going to a specific area or club or Church because the majority don't share your skin color?

Asking because I heard this guy on the radio saying that, that was a racist attitude but it seems to me that people flock to what's familiar to them.

What do you think?

I wouldn't say it's wrong to want to live in an area where most people are ethnically and racially similar to you. There are a lot of factors that come into play, not just prejudices, but also legitimate concerns about crime rates and property values. Morally speaking it might be wrong to want to live in a neighborhood where there aren't large numbers of people of a certain race based on their race alone, but I don't think government should get involved here and try to forcibly diversify neighborhoods against the will of their residents. You shouldn't force unwanted neighbors on people.

As far as not going to a specific area or club, it's tough to say. In the U.S. at least, areas that have a lot of black or Hispanic people tend to be rough, and poor neighborhoods. Same thing with clubs. I think people have good reason to avoid certain areas or clubs, because there could be a legitimate safety concern, or people might feel awkward being the only white person in a club or the only black person in a club. Avoiding areas because you look down on the residents because of their race or income level, and feel superior to them, would be morally wrong.

However, not going to a certain church because of the race of most of its congregants/parishioners (or the church not welcoming you based on your race) would be wrong. The Bible is quite clear that there should not be partiality based on social status or ethnicity in the church. If a person doesn't want to worship in the same church as other people of other races/ethnicities, then that is going against the teaching of Christianity. Other religions however might not have the same teachings on this matter and may be more ethnically centered, though I do think Islam is similar to Christianity in this regard.

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Emil_Fontz
Member since 2014 • 799 Posts

@thegerg said:

no

Would you be my neighbor, Greg?

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

I don't think it's racist at all to choose housing in neighborhoods that share the same "color" as you. Ideally, I'd like to get into a predominantly white neighborhood eventually. I just get a sense of better values from whites over Hispanics and Blacks. In my experience, white families take pride in their properties and maintaining them, they're generally more polite, and have a mutual respect for their neighbors.

Granted, I'm sure this isn't how it is in all areas, but where I live the example above pretty much sums it up for better neighborhoods - my ideal living situation and final destination once I get my finances in order.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#15 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Here is a question:

Is it right?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I wouldn't really take into account the race, id be more interested in how safe the area seems and things like that. I don't like making the separation in the first place, people are people.

Of course that just what my thought process would be when picking a neighborhood to move into, I'd consider other factors than race of the population there.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Since humans are tribal by nature, no, it's not wrong.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

No.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#19 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I wouldn't do it since I don't really see much difference of values and attitudes between people with one skin colour or another...I notice differences mostly between cultures and education levels.

And no, I don't think it's wrong if you want to live on an all-white neighborhood, but if you decide you want to kick out all black people out of your neighborhood so it becomes all-white, then yeah...it's wrong.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

How does one pick their race? Last I heard, we were born into them.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

Don't stoop down to thegerg's level now.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Don't stoop down to thegerg's level now.

The exact response I expected.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Is this what the american discuss all the time??? pfffttt

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#24 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

don't have that issue here, we pretty much have much of everything and there aren't any places that a lot of immigrants live or just native norwegians live

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I do it all the time in RPG's.

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaJuicyMan
Member since 2010 • 3557 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: Sounds nice

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I thought this topic was going to be about mix people and if its right if they pick one side of their race and dismiss the other.

Is it wrong to want to live in a white neighborhood if youre white, cuz thats the people you rather be around you when it comes to neighborhood life? no thats fine, as long as you dont say that the reason you move to an all white neighborhood is becuz you can stand X people and hate this and that about those X people, thats where you start to sound like a dick.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#28 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

If someone wants to live in a neighborhood where most people share their skin color, I don't necessarily see a problem with that. Being the only white person or the only black person (or the only whatever person) in a neighborhood could potentially be uncomfortable.

If someone wants to live in a neighborhood that's "all white" or "all black" or "all (insert race)," that seems pretty racist to me. IMO, it suggests that a person doesn't want to encounter other races.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GreySeal9
@thehig1 said:

I wouldn't really take into account the race, id be more interested in how safe the area seems and things like that. I don't like making the separation in the first place, people are people.

Of course that just what my thought process would be when picking a neighborhood to move into, I'd consider other factors than race of the population there.

Wise post is wise.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

I do it all the time in RPG's.

LMFAO

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GreySeal9

@whipassmt said:

@BSC14 said:

What do you think?

I wouldn't say it's wrong to want to live in an area where most people are ethnically and racially similar to you. There are a lot of factors that come into play, not just prejudices, but also legitimate concerns about crime rates and property values. Morally speaking it might be wrong to want to live in a neighborhood where there aren't large numbers of people of a certain race based on their race alone, but I don't think government should get involved here and try to forcibly diversify neighborhoods against the will of their residents. You shouldn't force unwanted neighbors on people.

As far as not going to a specific area or club, it's tough to say. In the U.S. at least, areas that have a lot of black or Hispanic people tend to be rough, and poor neighborhoods. Same thing with clubs. I think people have good reason to avoid certain areas or clubs, because there could be a legitimate safety concern, or people might feel awkward being the only white person in a club or the only black person in a club. Avoiding areas because you look down on the residents because of their race or income level, and feel superior to them, would be morally wrong.

However, not going to a certain church because of the race of most of its congregants/parishioners (or the church not welcoming you based on your race) would be wrong. The Bible is quite clear that there should not be partiality based on social status or ethnicity in the church. If a person doesn't want to worship in the same church as other people of other races/ethnicities, then that is going against the teaching of Christianity. Other religions however might not have the same teachings on this matter and may be more ethnically centered, though I do think Islam is similar to Christianity in this regard.

^This is a great post BTW.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#33 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@DaJuicyMan said:

@The_Last_Ride: Sounds nice

It is, we got selected as the best country to live in by the UN

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

@BSC14: lol, no, it's not "racist" to be black and want to live in a "black" area. yes, prejudice is not racism.

not wanting to go to some location because of your color is neither racism or prejudice.

it's called intelligence, depending, lol.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

@BSC14: "I would have leaned more the opposite direction being that your home is where you spend most your time and most people tend to want their homes surrounded by similar people"

"Similar people" WTF man people are people what the **** does it matter what colour their skin is? As long as they are decent good PEOPLE that's all that should matter.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with wanting to be in an area predominantly composed of your peers, however, going so far as to exclude others you consider outside your "peer group" is wrong.

Crime is not a problem of race, it's a problem of economics. Crime is much more prevalent; whether the area is mostly white, black, or brown; where poverty persists.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By udUbdaWgz1

@bforrester420: lol at "peer group." i can go and do anything i want without prejudice for my decision. if i don't want to be around white guys who dunked on black players when they played, it's no big deal.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BSC14

@xeno_ghost said:

@BSC14: "I would have leaned more the opposite direction being that your home is where you spend most your time and most people tend to want their homes surrounded by similar people"

"Similar people" WTF man people are people what the **** does it matter what colour their skin is? As long as they are decent good PEOPLE that's all that should matter.

Simmer down, hotrod.

Most people want to be surrounded by similar people. Being the type of people they are probably accustomed to and probably grew up with.

There are cultural differences between all colors of people that some might not appreciate. While we may all be equal and should be treated so, we may not want to be surrounded by these cultural differences.

There was a middle eastern family down the street from me that when they cooked you could smell it all the way down the street. They were in fact very nice people and better neighbors than most white families (when they were not making music in the house with their doors open) but some might not want to be surrounded by this all the time...and I don't see anything wrong with that.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bforrester420

@udubdawgz1 said:

@bforrester420: lol at "peer group." i can go and do anything i want without prejudice for my decision. if i don't want to be around white guys who dunked on black players when they played, it's no big deal.

I have no idea what this means. Are you agreeing or disagreeing?

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 udUbdaWgz1

@bforrester420: economics and "peer group?" lol, THAT'S your "argument?"

crime is not merely a problem or race, money or bubble bath. or, economics.

poverty exists where poverty is accepted.

my "peer group" point is that nobody but weak mindedness cares about "peer group" unless weak-minded is an attribute.

you're trying to argue crime and money and i'll just keep my "race" point, as well.

lol.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

@BSC14: True.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

I would say it is wrong. In order to become a colorblind society we have to integrate with other who are different races. As long as people keep segregating themselves so that they are only around people who look like them, people will always see color.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bforrester420

@udubdawgz1 said:

@bforrester420: economics and "peer group?" lol, THAT'S your "argument?"

crime is not merely a problem or race, money or bubble bath. or, economics.

poverty exists where poverty is accepted.

my "peer group" point is that nobody but weak mindedness cares about "peer group" unless weak-minded is an attribute.

you're trying to argue crime and money and i'll just keep my "race" point, as well.

lol.

I didn't realize you made a point in your incoherent rambling. Go back to class and learn how to elucidate your "point".

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

I think people should live where they want to live. Who cares? Just live where you want to and live and let live.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I'll go and do as I please no matter the demographics. Doesn't matter to me.

But I am proud to be white. Apparently that's somehow quite racist. No trouble that blacks can have their BET, yet if there were a WET station everyone would be screaming KKK at the top of their lungs.

Hypocrites.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bforrester420

@MirkoS77 said:

But I am proud to be white. Apparently that's somehow quite racist. No trouble that blacks can have their BET, yet if there were a WET station everyone would be screaming KKK at the top of their lungs.

Hypocrites.

There are other TV networks that, for all intents and purposes, are WET. They're called NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC, HGTV, etc, etc, etc...

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

@thegerg:

If you move to a neighborhood you like and it just happens to be white, then there is nothing wrong with that. But if a person moves to neighborhood for the sole reason that it is black or white then that is wrong.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@bforrester420 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

Hypocrites.

There are other TV networks that, for all intents and purposes, are WET. They're called NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC, HGTV, etc, etc, etc...

Actually those networks are more racially diverse than anything, especially the liberal networks.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

No its not racist at all. People will flock to areas that they personally fit in with and feel comfortable with. I live in a beach city area, where most people are white and tanned and love to surf, this is not the kind of area where you would find black or asian people in because in general, its not the kind of thing that they are into.

People will try their hardest to make it seem as though its racist, but they are dry out of all topics and want to bring a bit of attention to themselves.