Is mass mass psychosis really possible?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for tryit
#1 Edited by TryIt (11999 posts) -

like on a national scale?

what about 'brainwashing' for the lack of a better term.

Lets talk about our more crazy theories

I think it absolutely is possible, I just dont understand why so many are so susceptible to it

(mods if this should be in political, then I can move it or you can or whatevers)

Avatar image for pcmasterrace69
#2 Posted by Pcmasterrace69 (304 posts) -

modern feminism is psichotic. woman hating all men with arguments that in 2018 are mostly delusional.

Avatar image for theone86
#3 Posted by theone86 (22134 posts) -

@pcmasterrace69 said:

modern feminism is psichotic. woman hating all men with arguments that in 2018 are mostly delusional.

Does this answer your question, TC?

Avatar image for tryit
#4 Posted by TryIt (11999 posts) -

@theone86 said:
@pcmasterrace69 said:

modern feminism is psichotic. woman hating all men with arguments that in 2018 are mostly delusional.

Does this answer your question, TC?

yes.

I guess to be honest I knew the answer to my own question other than the part of 'how do these people fall for this absurdaity'

I should finish watching 'Brainwashed my Dad' really good thus far

Avatar image for MirkoS77
#5 Posted by MirkoS77 (13291 posts) -

Of course. Look at the enablement that led to the Holocaust. If an assembly line of mass murder by a national population that had been brainwashed by continual propaganda isn't indicative of mass psychosis, I don't know what is.

Avatar image for MrGeezer
#7 Posted by MrGeezer (59597 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

Of course. Look at the enablement that led to the Holocaust. If an assembly line of mass murder by a national population that had been brainwashed by continual propaganda isn't indicative of mass psychosis, I don't know what is.

Please explain.

Seriously, I don't see how psychosis applies. You can definitely use propaganda to get people to support some awful stuff, but that's got nothing to do with psychosis.

Avatar image for Random_Matt
#8 Posted by Random_Matt (3416 posts) -

Tons of psychology documentrys explaining brain washing, check them out.

Avatar image for tryit
#9 Posted by TryIt (11999 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Of course. Look at the enablement that led to the Holocaust. If an assembly line of mass murder by a national population that had been brainwashed by continual propaganda isn't indicative of mass psychosis, I don't know what is.

Please explain.

Seriously, I don't see how psychosis applies. You can definitely use propaganda to get people to support some awful stuff, but that's got nothing to do with psychosis.

psychosis: 'a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality'

yes...getting an a large segment of a population behind something like lets say racial genocide would qualify as a mass psychosis

Avatar image for MirkoS77
#10 Edited by MirkoS77 (13291 posts) -

@tryit said:
@MrGeezer said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Of course. Look at the enablement that led to the Holocaust. If an assembly line of mass murder by a national population that had been brainwashed by continual propaganda isn't indicative of mass psychosis, I don't know what is.

Please explain.

Seriously, I don't see how psychosis applies. You can definitely use propaganda to get people to support some awful stuff, but that's got nothing to do with psychosis.

psychosis: 'a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality'

yes...getting an a large segment of a population behind something like lets say racial genocide would qualify as a mass psychosis

It comes down to defining what a severe mental disorder is, but I'd like to know how supporting an assembly line of the slaughter of millions of men, women, and children is NOT a severe mental disorder, propaganda or otherwise. People are fucking deranged and mentally sick beyond hope if they can even humor supporting such a thing.

Avatar image for tryit
#11 Edited by TryIt (11999 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:
@tryit said:
@MrGeezer said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Of course. Look at the enablement that led to the Holocaust. If an assembly line of mass murder by a national population that had been brainwashed by continual propaganda isn't indicative of mass psychosis, I don't know what is.

Please explain.

Seriously, I don't see how psychosis applies. You can definitely use propaganda to get people to support some awful stuff, but that's got nothing to do with psychosis.

psychosis: 'a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality'

yes...getting an a large segment of a population behind something like lets say racial genocide would qualify as a mass psychosis

It comes down to defining what a severe mental disorder is, but I'd like to know how supporting an assembly line of the slaughter of millions of men, women, and children is NOT a severe mental disorder, propaganda or otherwise. People are fucking deranged and mentally sick beyond hope if they can even humor supporting such a thing.

the fact that we are having a national debate over the right of private citizens to own miltiary grade weapons specifically design for mass killing and the topic of 'to protect me from the government' almost never comes up is in my mind friggin mass hysteria and a total disconnect from reality..yup yup

Avatar image for SUD123456
#12 Edited by SUD123456 (5142 posts) -

Every election

Avatar image for henrythefifth
#13 Posted by henrythefifth (1746 posts) -

No. Its just government mumbo jumbo that was conjured up to explain ufo sightings and other unexplainable phenomena that involved more than one person.

Like you have situation where hundreds of people clearly saw ufo, right. And you cannot explain it away by saying it was a new type of test plane or a weather balloon. Well, what you do is you say there was mass psychosis event! All those people were hallucinating the exact same thing due to some chemical in the tap water or whatever.

Well, from medical point of view that is not possible. It is not possible for several people to have the exact same hallucination. Even drug induced hallucinary state differs from person to person, meaning the same drug would give different people different hallucinations.

Just to explore the issue from one point of view...

Avatar image for MrGeezer
#14 Posted by MrGeezer (59597 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

It comes down to defining what a severe mental disorder is, but I'd like to know how supporting an assembly line of the slaughter of millions of men, women, and children is NOT a severe mental disorder, propaganda or otherwise. People are fucking deranged and mentally sick beyond hope if they can even humor supporting such a thing.

The key point is "losing contact with reality". NOTHING about supporting or engaging in genocide inherently says anything about the participants' ability to understand reality.

Never mind whether or not genocide requires "mental illness" in order to support it (and I don't believe it does, because there are purely rational reasons to support it such as SELF-BENEFIT), psychosis is a SPECIFIC mental illness.

You do realize that mental illness is a wide spectrum, right? Someone who is completely incapable of feeling empathy or compassion for other human beings might indeed kill other people, but that doesn't make them PSYCHOTIC. Someone who is clinically depressed is mentally ill, but that doesn't mean they're going to jump on board the genocide train.

Stop throwing around words willy-nilly. These words have MEANINGS. Psychosis doesn't just mean that someone is willing to do horrible shit, psychosis is an inability to understand reality. That has nothing inherently to do with genocide. There were plenty of people who supported the holocaust and knew EXACTLY what they were doing. But they did it anyway because they stood to make money off of it or they wanted to avoid making themselves a target or they just plain AGREED with the Nazi agenda.

It doesn't work that way, and white-washing the meanings in this way diminishes the effect of what actually happened. Again, psychosis doesn't vaguely mean "f***ed up in the head in some way." It's a word applied to people who can't distinguish reality from non-reality. That kind of thing is used in DEFENSE of a person's actions. Saying that the Holocaust has to be mass-psychosis implies that HITLER had to be psychotic. That's actually saying that Hitler's blame is DIMINISHED because he didn't know what he was doing.

Is that what you're saying?

You do realize that in courts, mental illness is used as a DEFENSE because then their actions were the result of their ILLNESS, right? That actually takes at least partial blame away from the perpetrator. If supporting genocide is necessarily a mental illness, and specifically a mental illness that keeps the people involved from knowing what's real, then that's an easy out. We can wash away their role by saying that it wasn't their faults. They didn't know what they were doing, they were mentally ill.

But we know damn well that that isn't the case. There were plenty of people who disagreed with it but were too damn scared to oppose it. And we also know damn well that plenty of people knew EXACTLY what they were doing and did it for money or just plain because they agreed with the agenda. I don't like to throw around this word a lot, but can we agree that not all "evil" people are unaware of the reality of their actions? A lot of them know EXACTLY what they are doing, and they LIKE IT.

Avatar image for Jag85
#15 Edited by Jag85 (12039 posts) -

Mass hysteria - a condition affecting a group of persons, characterized by excitement or anxiety, irrational behavior or beliefs, or inexplicable symptoms of illness.

Avatar image for KungfuKitten
#16 Edited by KungfuKitten (25829 posts) -

Of course that is possible. It happens and there are examples.

My country believes many things that aren't real, even if it's simply a twist of the truth by the media. For instance almost anyone here believes that standard dental checkups are covered by their insurance but it's not true. Media spreading misinformation is a very easy way to (accidentally) deceive people and make them believe something is real that isn't real. Or look at the amount of bots people buy to appear popular and then become popular as a result. People are thinking they must be popular so they start liking them. But there were no real people. In some instances people on a global scale don't know what's real anymore. They'll need to learn that follower counts are next to meaningless.

Cults have had success in 'brainwashing' (wwim: high degree of successful manipulation of) groups of people. Enough so to inspire them to commit group suicides. And that includes people who were full of life, not just people on an edge.

That's a thing I've always been interested in so I've read a lot about it and practiced some of it to study it.

I hope I didn't kill the thread.

Avatar image for MrGeezer
#17 Posted by MrGeezer (59597 posts) -

@KungfuKitten said:

Of course that is possible. It happens and there are examples.

My country believes many things that aren't real, even if it's simply a twist of the truth by the media. For instance almost anyone here believes that standard dental checkups are covered by their insurance but it's not true. Media spreading misinformation is a very easy way to (accidentally) deceive people and make them believe something is real that isn't real. Or look at the amount of bots people buy to appear popular and then become popular as a result. People are thinking they must be popular so they start liking them. But there were no real people. In some instances people on a global scale don't know what's real anymore. They'll need to learn that follower counts are next to meaningless.

That doesn't sound like mass-psychosis to me, that just sounds like deception and mis-information.

Or let's put it this way...there are lots of myths in pop culture (why the show Mythbusters was so popular) and with the amount of "information" being bombarded at people daily it's inevitable that some bullshit gets through. Hopefully someone running a professional journal does their fact checking, but the normal guy just hearing stuff on the street doesn't have time for that and often believes things that aren't true. That doesn't sound like mass psychosis to me, that seems more like just plain misinformation.

Hell, even professional journals sometimes screw up on their fact checking and accidentally post bullshit. That doesn't make them PSYCHOTIC, it just means that they screwed up on their fact checking.

Avatar image for bush_dog
#18 Posted by Bush_Dog (294 posts) -

The correct answer is "Who knows?".

Avatar image for ilspeiera
#19 Posted by IlSpeieRa (7 posts) -

Yes, of course