Is marijuana prohibition going down?

• 134 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by MrGeezer (59344 posts) -
It's awesome also because for people like myself who aren't your typical pot smokers, we'll be able to come home and decompress from a hard day at work like people do all the time with a beer.Yusuke420
Did prohibition ever really prevent you from being able to do that? Don't get me wrong...I'm not for or against legalization. I don't care one way or the other. But it's not as if marijuana prohibition is really stopping anyone from going home and getting stoned after a hard day at work. That has nothing to do with marijuana's legal status, people who want to do that have pretty much always (for the last few decades at least) been able to do that anyway.
#52 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]It's awesome also because for people like myself who aren't your typical pot smokers, we'll be able to come home and decompress from a hard day at work like people do all the time with a beer.MrGeezer
Did prohibition ever really prevent you from being able to do that? Don't get me wrong...I'm not for or against legalization. I don't care one way or the other. But it's not as if marijuana prohibition is really stopping anyone from going home and getting stoned after a hard day at work. That has nothing to do with marijuana's legal status, people who want to do that have pretty much always (for the last few decades at least) been able to do that anyway.

Sure, and I do on occation but now that I have a son, I have to worry about my neighbors if they smell it calling the law, then I have to worry about the law contacting CPS, and then I have to worry about CPS taking my kid away because I got high on my balcony at midnight after he was asleep. Once it's legal all of those worries vanish and I can do as I chose freely without threat of persecution from busybody's or overzealous law enforcement officials. 

#53 Posted by MrGeezer (59344 posts) -
Yusuke420
Exactly how close do your neighbors live, and/or how freaking much are you smoking? And do your neighbors happen to be bloodhounds? I mean...I don't smoke weed. But when/if I ever did, I can tell you that getting busted in the comfort of my own home was dead last on my list of paranoid fears. Either you're growing it yourself, you're going out to get it, or someone else is bringing it to you. And all of those things are FAR more risky than the simple act of smoking a joint at home. If THAT is such a concern, if you're so afraid that the neighbors will smell you smoking and call the cops, then you'd be far better off worrying about how the weed got into your home in the first place. Nearly everyone (not including dealers and producers) who gets caught with this stuff gets caught with it outside the home. People don't get caught for smoking weed in their homes, they get caught for having weed outside their homes. Once you're home, you've pretty much got off scott free absent the miniscule chance that the police have a warrant to saearch your home for either drugs or some other offense.
#55 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

Geezer I don't know if you own your own home or not, but in apartments, people can be noisy as all hell because they can be. I have been bombed on by the cops in my own spot before when I was younger (never now because I take precausions) and it was janky as hell. Just legalize and we can all chill about this minor thing. Businesses can before formed and thrive with a new economy created by growing and selling marijuana. Governments can get some much needed revenue and I can go to the corner store and pick up an OZ for much cheaper then I do now because there's zero risk factor driving up costs. 

#56 Posted by MrGeezer (59344 posts) -

Geezer I don't know if you own your own home or not, but in apartments, people can be noisy as all hell because they can be. I have been bombed on by the cops in my own spot before when I was younger (never now because I take precausions) and it was janky as hell. Just legalize and we can all chill about this minor thing. Businesses can before formed and thrive with a new economy created by growing and selling marijuana. Governments can get some much needed revenue and I can go to the corner store and pick up an OZ for much cheaper then I do now because there's zero risk factor driving up costs. 

Yusuke420
Are you serious? Try it. Try calling the cops and tell them that you smell weed coming from your next door neighbor's apartment, then tell me how long it takes before they bust that jackass' door down. You're gonna be waiting FOREVER because cops have better things to do than raid peoples' apartments just because a neighbor claims he smelled weed. Just about no one gets arrested for smoking weed in their homes. They might get EVICTED. They might get arrested for TRANSPORTING weed. They might get arrested for SELLING weed. People do NOT get their homes raided because a neighbor thought they smelled weed coming from that particular apartment. I don't know if it is the weed that is making you overly paranoid, but cops seriously have far better things to do than respond to claims that "I think I smell weed being smoked in my neighbor's apartment".
#57 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19198 posts) -

I have a college friend who gets straight A's and everything, and he always smokes pot after a long time. He's my age and a lot more successful than I am currently... and I hardly smoke weed.

#58 Posted by cheese_game619 (13317 posts) -
[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

MrGeezer
Are you serious? Try it. Try calling the cops and tell them that you smell weed coming from your next door neighbor's apartment, then tell me how long it takes before they bust that jackass' door down. You're gonna be waiting FOREVER because cops have better things to do than raid peoples' apartments just because a neighbor claims he smelled weed. Just about no one gets arrested for smoking weed in their homes. They might get EVICTED. They might get arrested for TRANSPORTING weed. They might get arrested for SELLING weed. People do NOT get their homes raided because a neighbor thought they smelled weed coming from that particular apartment. I don't know if it is the weed that is making you overly paranoid, but cops seriously have far better things to do than respond to claims that "I think I smell weed being smoked in my neighbor's apartment".

yeah you would have to have real cvnts of neighbours unless you were knocking on their door and blowing it in their face
#59 Posted by MrGeezer (59344 posts) -
[QUOTE="cheese_game619"] yeah you would have to have real cvnts of neighbours unless you were knocking on their door and blowing it in their face

Never mind the neighbors, the COPS would have to be just about the most bored cops on the planet to even waste their time responding to that $***.
#60 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15220 posts) -

Are you serious? Try it. Try calling the cops and tell them that you smell weed coming from your next door neighbor's apartment, then tell me how long it takes before they bust that jackass' door down. You're gonna be waiting FOREVER because cops have better things to do than raid peoples' apartments just because a neighbor claims he smelled weed. Just about no one gets arrested for smoking weed in their homes. They might get EVICTED. They might get arrested for TRANSPORTING weed. They might get arrested for SELLING weed. People do NOT get their homes raided because a neighbor thought they smelled weed coming from that particular apartment. I don't know if it is the weed that is making you overly paranoid, but cops seriously have far better things to do than respond to claims that "I think I smell weed being smoked in my neighbor's apartment". MrGeezer

I've known two people recently who got busted for smoking up in their apartment and the neighbor told the manager who called the cops. It most definately does happen.

#61 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

[QUOTE="cheese_game619"] yeah you would have to have real cvnts of neighbours unless you were knocking on their door and blowing it in their faceMrGeezer
Never mind the neighbors, the COPS would have to be just about the most bored cops on the planet to even waste their time responding to that $***.

Damn for a guy named geezer you are pretty damn naive about this subject lol. 

#62 Posted by Guybrush_3 (8308 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]Are you serious? Try it. Try calling the cops and tell them that you smell weed coming from your next door neighbor's apartment, then tell me how long it takes before they bust that jackass' door down. You're gonna be waiting FOREVER because cops have better things to do than raid peoples' apartments just because a neighbor claims he smelled weed. Just about no one gets arrested for smoking weed in their homes. They might get EVICTED. They might get arrested for TRANSPORTING weed. They might get arrested for SELLING weed. People do NOT get their homes raided because a neighbor thought they smelled weed coming from that particular apartment. I don't know if it is the weed that is making you overly paranoid, but cops seriously have far better things to do than respond to claims that "I think I smell weed being smoked in my neighbor's apartment". br0kenrabbit

I've known two people recently who got busted for smoking up in their apartment and the neighbor told the manager who called the cops. It most definately does happen.

I also know people that this has happened to. Appartement complexes can be dangerous places to smoke. (obviously the dangerousnesss varies drastically from one complex to another)

#63 Posted by tumbIew33d (370 posts) -

[QUOTE="jdc6305"]

It's the same with alchol you can't go set up a stil in your basement.

br0kenrabbit

You most certainly can.

Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 7

(a)  Notwithstanding the provisions of this part, a private individual in the person's own home may manufacture and possess wine or beer in an amount not in excess of that amount annually permitted as of January 1, 1997, by federal statutes and regulations relative to household manufacture and consumption; provided, that the wine or beer is for personal consumption by members and guests of the household.

To be fair, he was talking about distilling, and while that's not illegal at a national level, it does mean meeting numerous criteria and paying excise: 26 USC Chapter 51. Furthermore, individual states may, and do (see Alabama), prohibit homebrewing.
#64 Posted by MrGeezer (59344 posts) -

br0kenrabbit
Well then I stand corrected. Regardless, if your manager is enough of an ass to call the cops because you're smoking weed, then don't pretend like his attitude is just gonna change once it's legalized. Now instead of getting arrested, you're getting kicked out. If you want to smoke weed, you do it on your own property.
#65 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

MrGeezer

Well then I stand corrected. Regardless, if your manager is enough of an ass to call the cops because you're smoking weed, then don't pretend like his attitude is just gonna change once it's legalized. Now instead of getting arrested, you're getting kicked out. If you want to smoke weed, you do it on your own property.

What would be the reason for being kicked out? The only reason the cops were called was because it was a crime to smoke weed. Once legal, it would be like kcking your tenant out for having a beer, something that never happens. 

#66 Posted by MrGeezer (59344 posts) -
What would be the reason for being kicked out? The only reason the cops were called was because it was a crime to smoke weed. Once legal, it would be like kcking your tenant out for having a beer, something that never happens. Yusuke420
That might be true if weed was something you drink. It's not, you smoke it. And people most certainly do get kicked out for smoking.
#67 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15220 posts) -

That might be true if weed was something you drink. It's not, you smoke it. And people most certainly do get kicked out for smoking. MrGeezer

I've never heard of apartments that don't allow you to smoke. I've seen some houses for rent that won't allow it, and I'm not saying that there are no such apartment complexes, only that they are the exception.

Besides, you most certainly CAN make pot tea.

#68 Posted by MrGeezer (59344 posts) -

I've never heard of apartments that don't allow you to smoke. I've seen some houses for rent that won't allow it, and I'm not saying that there are no such apartment complexes, only that they are the exception.

Besides, you most certainly CAN make pot tea.

br0kenrabbit
Plenty of apartments and houses don't allow smoking. It's really no surprise, the owners don't want people funking up the place and making it reek. It's the exact same reason why you wouldn't let someone smoke in your car. And I'm wagering that there are probably some ways of ingesting weed that don't give off a significant funk. If you really want to just get high, I'm sure you could find some way of doing so (not smoking) that minimizes the amount of stink that's emanating from your home.
#69 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15220 posts) -

Plenty of apartments and houses don't allow smoking. It's really no surprise, the owners don't want people funking up the place and making it reek. It's the exact same reason why you wouldn't let someone smoke in your car. And I'm wagering that there are probably some ways of ingesting weed that don't give off a significant funk. If you really want to just get high, I'm sure you could find some way of doing so (not smoking) that minimizes the amount of stink that's emanating from your home.MrGeezer

Some weed you can smell from the road, before you even fire it up!

Good weed has a very floral smell, I don't see how anyone can be offended. But when you rent, you do as pappy says.

Fortunately for me, I own my home and have quite a bit of yard separating me from other houses and the road. Nonetheless, people do make it to my door unannounced from time-to-time and I know for a fact you can smell this $hit outside my door if I'm actively smoking.

Making it legal would ease my nerves about the whole getting caught thing. Sure, I don't keep enough on me to ever warrant anything but a misdemeanor, but I have a clean record and would like to keep it that way.

#70 Posted by LJS9502_basic (163226 posts) -
I don't see it being legalized any time soon if that is what you are asking.
#71 Posted by cheese_game619 (13317 posts) -
you need a volcano vaporizer, son no smell and its better for you you can smoke it inside
#72 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15220 posts) -

you need a volcano vaporizer, son no smell and its better for you you can smoke it insidecheese_game619

Like smoking a cigarette in the dark, I don't get as much satisfaction out of it if I don't see a huge cloud of smoke upon exhalation. Besides, it just tastes soooo much better in glass.

#73 Posted by cheese_game619 (13317 posts) -
everything you just said is the r-word and you still see the 'smoke'
#74 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15220 posts) -

everything you just said is the r-word and you still see the 'smoke'cheese_game619

Yeah you see some, but it's not the full roboust cloud that you get from a bowl. I enjoy smoking, cigs or weed, and I enjoy the ACT of smoking. Vaps just doesn't do it for me.

I don't like joints, though...such a waste.

#75 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -

[QUOTE="cheese_game619"]you need a volcano vaporizer, son no smell and its better for you you can smoke it insidebr0kenrabbit

Like smoking a cigarette in the dark, I don't get as much satisfaction out of it if I don't see a huge cloud of smoke upon exhalation. Besides, it just tastes soooo much better in glass.

For me, if I smoke tobbacy at night, what I do is put on a light outside and sit right in that light. The light really enhances the smoke for me, but I smoke cigars so it may be different with cigs.
#76 Posted by KHAndAnime (17565 posts) -
Yes, it is going down. It's already legal where I live (Washington). The predicted tax income is supposedly enormous for the states of Washington and Colorado. There are some predictions that it will raise Washington's GSP by 5%. Once the industry is in place, the other states may get envious of that extra income as well as get tired of increasing regulations (due to the increasing amount of marijuana grown from within country).
#77 Posted by KHAndAnime (17565 posts) -

[QUOTE="cheese_game619"]you need a volcano vaporizer, son no smell and its better for you you can smoke it insidebr0kenrabbit

Smoke tastes like dung compared to vapor. And typically when vaporizing you do get huge clouds of vapor upon exhalation. Really, after using a vaporizer, I'm beginning to view smoking as quite a disgusting habit. It's unhealthy, has too much residual smell, and stains materials. Not only that, but you're wasting the herb.
#78 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -
[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="cheese_game619"]you need a volcano vaporizer, son no smell and its better for you you can smoke it insideKHAndAnime

Smoke tastes like dung compared to vapor. And typically when vaporizing you do get huge clouds of vapor upon exhalation. Really, after using a vaporizer, I'm beginning to view smoking as quite a disgusting habit. It's unhealthy, has too much residual smell, and stains materials. Not only that, but you're wasting the herb.

Agreed. I really want a volcano, but I can't justify spending that much money on a device used solely for getting high :P
#79 Posted by KHAndAnime (17565 posts) -

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

chrisrooR

Agreed. I really want a volcano, but I can't justify spending that much money on a device used solely for getting high :P

I want one too, but there are other devices than the Volcano, you know :). One of the most recommended vaporizers on the internet is Da Buddah and it's typically around $150. And if you enjoy 'herb', using a vaporizer will save you money in the long run because they're more efficient at utilizing the 'herb' than traditional methods of consumption. My usage was actually cut in half once I started using mine. 

Particularly useful if you like to be indoors and in front of your computer while you 'partake', because smoke isn't very good for electronics!

#80 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -
OHHHHH LAWD. Ok you guys all have to watch this. It is very relevant to this thread. And it's awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Znpt_Umixcs#!
#81 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

Isn't Obama against legalization? I'm pretty sure he'll end up fighting against legalization which sucks considering his past stance.

#82 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"]OHHHHH LAWD. Ok you guys all have to watch this. It is very relevant to this thread. And it's awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Znpt_Umixcs#!

Bump so people see this.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
#83 Posted by deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d (7914 posts) -
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"]OHHHHH LAWD. Ok you guys all have to watch this. It is very relevant to this thread. And it's awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Znpt_Umixcs#!

Bump so people see this.

i can tell the video is suppose to be funny, just wasn't hilarious. marijuana just has so many rumors and myths. you ask any pot head how does it feel to get high and every one of them will have a different opinion
#84 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -
Pot should be legal like beer.
#85 Posted by Boston_Boyy (4103 posts) -

Isn't Obama against legalization? I'm pretty sure he'll end up fighting against legalization which sucks considering his past stance.

leviathan91

He's against it but he's declined to fight Colorado or Washington on the issue.  He may not personally be willing to sign a bill that would take it off the federally-banned substance list, but I have a feeling his opposition doesn't run any deeper than that. 

#86 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -

leviathan91
rofl, funny too since he was one of the biggest potheads I've heard of.
#87 Posted by MrPraline (21351 posts) -
[QUOTE="leviathan91"]

Rich3232

hah yes. enjoy
#88 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -
[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="leviathan91"]

MrPraline

hah yes. enjoy

Fantastic rant. Saved.
#90 Posted by chaoscougar1 (37597 posts) -
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"]OHHHHH LAWD. Ok you guys all have to watch this. It is very relevant to this thread. And it's awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Znpt_Umixcs#!

Bump so people see this.

Loved it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QXioouB5Jw&list=FLY3wUkDYUzXFfLoihG7W0bw&feature=mh_lolz Wifey
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
#91 Posted by The_Gaming_Baby (6402 posts) -

It makes no sense to be so strict on marijuana when they are so lenient on other substances and even certain aspects of our society which have a much worse effect on us

#92 Posted by worlock77 (22552 posts) -

if everyone listened to joe rogan's podcast it would be legal by nowJustSignedUp

I doubt it.

#93 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
[QUOTE="cheese_game619"]you need a volcano vaporizer, son no smell and its better for you you can smoke it inside

Baked goods with weed in them also don't have much a of a smell IIRC
#94 Posted by MrPraline (21351 posts) -
if everyone listened to joe rogan's podcast it would be legal by nowJustSignedUp
Joe Rogan < 3
#95 Posted by Riverwolf007 (26023 posts) -

I don't see it being legalized any time soon if that is what you are asking.LJS9502_basic
http://healthland.time.com/2012/11/07/two-u-s-states-become-first-to-legalize-marijuana/

#96 Posted by MrPraline (21351 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I don't see it being legalized any time soon if that is what you are asking.Riverwolf007

http://healthland.time.com/2012/11/07/two-u-s-states-become-first-to-legalize-marijuana/

Good thing, let's increase that number. Obeyme's DEA goons can probably handle 2 states but 50?
#97 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

It seems like it, but very, very slowly. Give it a decade or two until it's more or less a nationwide thing.

#98 Posted by Riverwolf007 (26023 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I don't see it being legalized any time soon if that is what you are asking.MrPraline

Good thing, let's increase that number. Obeyme's DEA goons can probably handle 2 states but 50?

my guess is those two states are going to find themselves without federal funding for things like infrastructure pretty soon.

you know there is some kind of force on it's way in order to get those two states back under control  and as an example to the rest.

#99 Posted by Nibroc420 (13571 posts) -

Thought I'd post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFC2IZe04EY

#100 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]http://healthland.time.com/2012/11/07/two-u-s-states-become-first-to-legalize-marijuana/

Riverwolf007

my guess is those two states are going to find themselves without federal funding for things like infrastructure pretty soon.

you know there is some kind of force on it's way in order to get those two states back under control  and as an example to the rest.

probably. Although I do wonder whether the new revenues/saved costs will help to offset that loss in funding.