Is Luke Cage good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nathanbats
Member since 2016 • 1057 Posts

I loved Daredevil,so I was wondering if this is worth a watch and if it's as good as DD.Does it have a great story and top-notch action scenes?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

It's okay. It has it's moments. It's a little slow in places but overall worth a watch. Plus if you plan on watching Defenders you should probably acquaint yourself with all the individual stories.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nathanbats

@LJS9502_basic: good!gonna do a marathon tommorow

Yeah, I am. A huge comic fan like me must watch the defenders.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#4 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Well, it could have used a lot more action. It's more on the intellectual side. Lots of dialogue, story, character development. Even when Luke Cage is fighting, sometimes he just doesn't seem as strong as he really is.

slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 slateman_basic
Member since 2002 • 4142 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

It's okay. It has it's moments. It's a little slow in places but overall worth a watch. Plus if you plan on watching Defenders you should probably acquaint yourself with all the individual stories.

That sounds similar to my Jessica Jones experience.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

It is REALLY good!

Forgetting the whole race thing (which is not NEARLY as big a deal as the right-wing sensitives would have you believe), it's a fun show! Villains you love to hate, good background story to all the characters, decent action. Great music! And while I have never been to New York, let alone Harlem, I'd like to think they're portraying it well.

It never really get's crazy, the whole show is a long simmer, not a boil, and frankly I kind of like that better.

Now, as for the race thing, I went into it with an open mind and the first episode I was kind of like "Meh...they're making me a little too aware of this" but then when you relax and realize that it is a celebration of black culture--and not a condemnation of society, or even all that much social commentary (though there is a bit)--it is a fun show!

Give it a try. I think it is the one of the best marvel products, television or big screen, to have come out thus far. The show has a lot of character, good acting, good story, and offers up a lot of culture and history. Honestly I think Americans are becoming allergic to culture, it's nice to be reminded that it's out there, and it is fun!

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@mrbojangles25:

You people need to start watching sports.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Meh. It drags on a little after halfway through but it was interesting overall. I'd still recommend it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

It's good, not the best Marvel show out there but decent it it's own right.

Snowywonders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Snowywonders
Member since 2013 • 115 Posts

How did people keep watching after the first episode? Maybe the actor sucks, but luke cage has to be one of the most boring characters I have ever seen. Super strength, undestructible, super moral compass, super humble. The perfect recipe to make someone super boring.

Add to that the ending scene where he decides to throw the guy through the window. Why the **** would you break a nearly wall height window of people you're supposedly protecting when you could have easily just punched the guy.

Flodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Flodiac
Member since 2006 • 193 Posts

So far it's better then Daredevil season 2

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrbojangles25

@PSP107 said:

@mrbojangles25:

You people need to start watching sports.

no thanks. Boring, and most of the athletes of renown end up disappointing you.

Except college sports, that's usually fun to watch. But even that's being infested with the corporate bullshit that makes NBA, NFL, etc so boring.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic

@Flodiac said:

No it's not. DD is the best Marvel Netflix show. And season 2 was fantastic.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PSP107

@mrbojangles25:

What about baseball, soccer and hockey?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mrbojangles25

@PSP107 said:

@mrbojangles25:

What about baseball, soccer and hockey?

I don't know, man. I love playing sports; I was a swimmer, baseball player, played soccer, football, water polo, and I still love lifting weights (though thats more of a hobby to me, not a sport)... but watching? No thanks.

Baseball is boring. Hell I went with a diehard Giants fan to a game, even he spent most of his time talking, drinking, and not watching the game. I'm fine with sports as a reason to meet together and drink and have fun, but not as the focus.

Soccer was probably my favorite sport growing up, but to watch? Nah, boring. I know the sport well enough, it just lacks the tempo I enjoy.

Hockey I always forget to watch, but I think I might enjoy. I went to a Sharks game once, that was insanely fun. I think hockey fans are some of the craziest (in a good way) fans out there, though I haven't been to a European soccer game before so I might be wrong.

I like sports, I just don't like watching them *shrug*

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PSP107

@mrbojangles25: "I like sports, I just don't like watching them *shrug*"

Fair enough but TV has been awful since 1999/2000.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nathanbats

@mrbojangles25: that's encouraging!cant wait for tonight!

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@nathanbats said:

I loved Daredevil,so I was wondering if this is worth a watch and if it's as good as DD.Does it have a great story and top-notch action scenes?

It started off really good but after a while the series starts to drag on, maybe it gets better again , I don't know but I started watching the strain which is also extemely good but it also starts to get boring after a while.

I didn't really have this with other series but luke cage and the strain seem like they would be better off as a mini series or movies. Now I went back to star trek tos, I'm already at season 3, don't know what I'm going to watch after that.

I didn't really like daredevil, never liked the character either. I've always been a fan of marvel and luke cage made me forget about daredevil (which is pretty much the only superhero I don't like from marvel television/movies). I haven't watched the avenger series though, I don't know, maybe superheroes are better for movies instead of series.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@nathanbats:

It's good.

Pacing can bee kind of bad sometimes.

The soundtrack is excellent.

I liked Daredevil and Jessica Jones better but I have not finished the season yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Flodiac said:

No it's not. DD is the best Marvel Netflix show. And season 2 was fantastic.

I thought season 2 was really disappointing. It had great moments but Daredevil came across as a complete dick and his character development didn't make any sense.

Luke Cage didn't have as many great moments, but it didn't irritate me as much so maybe it's a tie.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mrbojangles25

@nathanbats said:

@mrbojangles25: that's encouraging!cant wait for tonight!

yep!

And!!! they just uploaded the next season of Arrow; I know the quality of the DC shows are not as good as the Marvel ones, but I love them all the same. So entertaining, and while they can be serious, they just have a funner, more light-hearted feeling to them that is as equally enjoyable as the "epic'ness" and seriousness of Marvel's shows.

Lots of good shows out there if you know where to look.

@PSP107 said:

@mrbojangles25: "I like sports, I just don't like watching them *shrug*"

Fair enough but TV has been awful since 1999/2000.

Yeah it has definitely been on the decline. But, I Feel if you took away all of the reality TV shit (documentaries and documentary-style stuff excluded), the repetitive stuff (i.e. the thirty shows about aliens the History channel has), you might end up with good television.

It's tough to call a lot of the shows I like "TV" because they're either incredibly niche one- or two-season shows, they're on channels no one has so they put it on the web, and so forth. I don't actually subscribe to any TV services, I just use Netflix, Amazon Prime, and my roomie's Hulu

But yeah when I go to see my folks and watch TV I'm generally disgusted. The only show I still hold my breath for is SNL, but even that is pushing it's luck.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nathanbats

@mrbojangles25: I hate arrow,but I love the flash.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mrbojangles25

@nathanbats said:

lol yeah I find myself rolling my eyes fairly often, the show can be campy and the acting a bit underwhelming, but I still enjoy it. Guilty pleasure I guess...

Flash is dope, was disappointed they didn't cast him as The Flash in the upcoming movie, he really does the role well imo

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nathanbats

@mrbojangles25: I was disappointed,too.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic

@mrbojangles25 said:
@nathanbats said:

lol yeah I find myself rolling my eyes fairly often, the show can be campy and the acting a bit underwhelming, but I still enjoy it. Guilty pleasure I guess...

Flash is dope, was disappointed they didn't cast him as The Flash in the upcoming movie, he really does the role well imo

TV actors and movie actors are different. Plus The Flash isn't going to be portrayed the same in the movie. I'm glad they didn't cast Gustin for the movie. Love the show.....but I don't want to watch it on the big screen.