Is it weird seeing cops from other countries?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

For me, seeing cops from England just freaking blows my mind. I know they are movies, but I know its just like real life, cause American cops are just like in movies. One I watched, they out for a warrant, and 10 cars pull up, and what is in their hands coming out of the cars to the suspect, freaking flash lights. They let everyone walk into the paddy wagon.

That shit is weird to me. So I'm wondering, for anyone British or similar, do you find it weird as hell, seeing American cops always packing handguns, shotguns, swat, etc. Cuffing people like hogs, and throwing them in back of cars like what I consider normal people?

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Mister-Man
Member since 2014 • 616 Posts

American Police don’t carry themselves as public servants, they wear the perspective that they are out to catch “bad guys” and kick ass, hardly any honor in how they carry themselves and carry out their work. In America, there is growing civil unrest towards our police force

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

@mister-man: Plenty of police are Serpico, they just put the 1 mistake on news, out of thousands of decisions they make in a career. The problem with idealistic ideas, like "the criminals will cooperate" and "just walk into back of my car without resisting" so they don't need guns or need to use force, that shit just doesn't happen. Of course the movie I watched was an old disney movie, so maybe British cops do whack their knees to get a little cooperation, I don't know how they do it. Hot Fuzz is about all I know about their use of force.

To me, you're suppose to be afraid of cops, that they will kill you where you stand, Old West style, even if you've done nothing wrong, as in the guy who walks up to a Police Officer with a machete and doesn't listen, you get a clip in your body, it isn't wrong, cause everyone knows the rules. I'm not saying giving these trained professional immunity or that using excessive force to keep people in line is proper, but it's just how things work, even if killing someone is essentially judge/jury/executioner. The problem is, if they weren't out beating people up and shooting criminals, then the criminals would be out there beating up civilizations and shooting cops. It's not like the police showed up to antagonize everyone and rule with iron thumb, it is what it is cause of the criminal element, and they evolve as the criminal element evolves.

A lot of my interest is why I wanted opinions from people who don't live in the wild west like myself. I'm interested in things like what keeps the civilians from breaking the law, when anyone could just beat them up. I can't imagine how they handle gangs and shit. Sort of want to find a video or book about how they do things in non-gun environments.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I live in Arizona which is part of the "Wild West." Cops were the first one to arrive when my old mother-in-law (RIP) suddenly lost consciousness and collapsed. They stabilized her enough so that when the paramedics arrived, she was ready to be loaded to the ambulance and driven to the hospital.

Also, I was flagged down by a cop for speeding on the way to the hospital after my pregnant wife went into labor. When the cop realized what was going on, he actually lead us to the hospital with siren and flashers on.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

As for cops from other countries..... We're polite folks whenever we visited other countries as tourists. We had no reason to fear the cops there. Even in Turkey, the cops there smiled and waved at us.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

It does feel weird to see armed police all over a city, but I suppose I understand why they need guns - to protect themselves and others against other people with guns. It still feels weird though, lol.

In general the police in Britain aren't too badly regarded by the public... in general. There have been a few scandals in the news over recent years involving abuse of power by undercover officers - you know, using restricted information to e.g. form relationships, marry, get women pregnant and then just disappear. I think that's the kind of stuff that would maybe feel shocking in some places but I don't know, maybe not.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

It blows my mind how civil and respectful Cops from other countries are.

Here in the states, too many soft yolked herbs with itchy trigger fingers and wannabe jackboot thugs join the police force thinking they're going to ride around like Judge Dredd.

I still remember how bad the NYPD was during the Stop and Frisk years. I had Cop cars follow me home from the train station all because I had the misfortune of being an Afro-Latino kid with a hoodie in Harlem. I never committed a crime and I was never the type to loiter outside but they still decided to single me out because I fit the description of their favorite prey. Even now, NYPD still feels like a military occupying force with their Ford Explorers that look like Polar bears rolling down the street.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that there are a lot of LEOs that actually respect the law, their uniform and the citizenry they work with. I've met a handful of them over the years. But there needs to be a massive overhaul in the way LEOs are trained, and if the human element continues to be a problem that can't be fixed, then I wouldn't mind machines taking their spot. At least when a machine shoots me, I know there were several safeguards that it had to go through before it decided it needed to use lethal force on me. ??‍♂️

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@saltslasher said:

For me, seeing cops from England just freaking blows my mind. I know they are movies, but I know its just like real life, cause American cops are just like in movies. One I watched, they out for a warrant, and 10 cars pull up, and what is in their hands coming out of the cars to the suspect, freaking flash lights. They let everyone walk into the paddy wagon.

That shit is weird to me. So I'm wondering, for anyone British or similar, do you find it weird as hell, seeing American cops always packing handguns, shotguns, swat, etc. Cuffing people like hogs, and throwing them in back of cars like what I consider normal people?

From Australia yes, but in the US every second person is carrying so it's to be expected to some extent.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

Seeing French cops walking around with f*cking sub machine guns in the Paris metro was pretty rad.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I guess it depends on where you live. I grew up on southern Ontario Canada (Niagara, Toronto) so my view of a police officer is the standard baby blue shirt, dark blue pants/jacket, black boots/cap. I think they phased out the red pant stripe for darker blue or black. It’s pretty much the North American standard.

UK cops always seem out of the norm. They got that pointy helmet thing, white shirt, and I think there’s a bit of yellow in their uniform. I’m not sure I’d go to them for help. Maybe helping me cross the street? Maybe...

Mexican cops are bad ass. They look like they’re ready for war. And given the amount of crime that country has - they’re appropriately dressed.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

We live in a simulation no not really but maybe would be cool though.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

I have been to Ireland once and it blows my mind how courteous and respectful Cops can be from there. In the USA, it is the complete opposite. I honestly don't give cops any attitude when I get pulled over because I comprehend that the cops are just doing their "job" but they still give you an attitude especially when you are a minority.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Not really. But I remember travelling in Europe when I was young (during the 1990s) and seeing armed soldiers walking the streets. That always seemed a little weird to me, but whatever.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

I think its weird to see German police. They look more like park rangers than cops, with green jackets and tan trousers. Also, dress code is so much more relaxed....you see guy cops with long ponytails and I just cant take them seriously.

Worst are the French cops. Arrogant, unhelpful and aggressive. I found US cops to be quite ok....but as Brits, we should fall down on our knees every day in thanks for the incredible force we have.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

I'm not sure what is weird about it TBH............

ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts

The sirens always throw me off when I’m different countries.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I was in Tanzania for a few months some years ago on a volunteering work program, and remember seeing the police officers in Tanga carrying kalashnikovs. Not that I felt uneasy about that of course, just people doing their jobs and was a similar feeling I had while visiting Belfast at a young age.

Suppose it just feels a bit surreal for people not used to ever seeing real guns up close, like most of us here in the UK. Speaking of cops from other countries, the Canadian mounties look weirdly wonderful and super friendly. :D