Is it moral for people with "bad" genes to reproduce?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topraman517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 topraman517
Member since 2005 • 823 Posts

I am very hairy and (oh the irony) have also begun to lose the hair on my head recently, this being when I am a young adult in college. Both traits are inherited from my dad. Obviously, I have to work with what I'm given, and I'll make it through life fairly happily. It's not like I have a choice.

But it made me think: wouldn't it be selfish and immoral to pass on these traits? Making my kids suffer through something they have no control over just doesn't sit well with me. This is an extreme comparison, but it's like that transgender man, Thomas Beatie, who got pregnant and had a baby. That kid didn't have a choice to have a normal dad, and if he/she is not okay with it, sucks for him/her.

This probably isn't the best forum for such discussion, but I've seen some pretty intelligent conversation here so I hope to get some good insight.

Jekken6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jekken6
Member since 2008 • 2642 Posts

It could just be your bad jeans.....

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
i think being hairy isnt a major thing.. now people with gentic disorders passing down is the real thing
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

Eugenics is a dangerous road.

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#5 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

Morally no. Every human has the right to reproduce.

GC4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GC4ever
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts

hey if people want to have kids let them have kids
if they have HIV or AIDS i can see a problem there
my g/f has all sorts of medical issues but she can't stop talking bout having kids in the future
now i'm all fine inmedical terms and i hope my kids will be balanced in terms of medical condition

there are people perfectly fine who have special needs kids or some very rare disease
you just have to make do

my_mortal_coil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 my_mortal_coil
Member since 2009 • 2839 Posts

Is it moral to tell someone that they don't have the right to reproduce simply because they have "bad" genes? Nobody has perfect genes, so who gets to decide what "bad" means? We have laws in place for incest, but past that, I don't see a clear way to define anything.

NaiveChild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 NaiveChild
Member since 2008 • 416 Posts

People can be born into any kind of family with any kind of conditions regardless of genes. Because there's uncertainty in all cases, you might as well ban everyone from reproducing. And you give Thomas Beattie as an example ... in any case, what if a child would have prefrerred a smarter mother, or a more athletic dad, or a skinnier brother (vs. a "normal dad")? I just don't think the argument makes sense, because there's no reasonable place to draw the line.

Shhadow_Viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shhadow_Viper
Member since 2009 • 2300 Posts

I think one could be much worse off than just being hairy and balding, at least you are in college. I think restricting destitute people from reproducing would be an easier sell.

Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts

br0kenrabbit

I agree - who decides what is "bad" anyway

LeGoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LeGoofyGoober
Member since 2009 • 3168 Posts

well my dad is short, my mom is short, so i'm short. wish i was taller, but oh well, i deal with it. luckily i am healthy, with no mental illness, or crippling disability.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
But since every human should have control over what they want or not, what happens if a kid doesn't want a transgendered Dad or to be adopted by a homosexual couple?
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
As with abortions, having a child is their choice. Nobody else has the right to say what someone can or cannot do with their body.
BadBrain21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BadBrain21
Member since 2009 • 27 Posts

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

Fandangle

I agree - who decides what is "bad" anyway

How about diseases that slowly kill you for starters? You think it's fine and dandy for people with AIDS, for example, to have kids?
BadBrain21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BadBrain21
Member since 2009 • 27 Posts
But since every human should have control over what they want or not, what happens if a kid doesn't want a transgendered Dad or to be adopted by a homosexual couple? th3warr1or
The homosexual couple should put the kid up for adoption again and see if he likes it better.
Shhadow_Viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shhadow_Viper
Member since 2009 • 2300 Posts
[QUOTE="th3warr1or"]But since every human should have control over what they want or not, what happens if a kid doesn't want a transgendered Dad or to be adopted by a homosexual couple? BadBrain21
The homosexual couple should put the kid up for adoption again and see if he likes it better.

That is brutally calllous. And mildy funny.
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

I am very hairy and (oh the irony) have also begun to lose the hair on my head recently, this being when I am a young adult in college. Both traits are inherited from my dad. Obviously, I have to work with what I'm given, and I'll make it through life fairly happily. It's not like I have a choice.

But it made me think: wouldn't it be selfish and immoral to pass on these traits? Making my kids suffer through something they have no control over just doesn't sit well with me. This is an extreme comparison, but it's like that transgender man, Thomas Beatie, who got pregnant and had a baby. That kid didn't have a choice to have a normal dad, and if he/she is not okay with it, sucks for him/her.

This probably isn't the best forum for such discussion, but I've seen some pretty intelligent conversation here so I hope to get some good insight.

topraman517

goodwins lawl NAZIS LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

No. It just means you are a really shallow person.

Avatar image for illegalimigrant
illegalimigrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 illegalimigrant
Member since 2008 • 1402 Posts
No matter what you can't argue that life has to be the best trait any human has. We can talk about how horrible it must be to have a certain handicap but that depends on perspective. And if you are not alive then you have no perspective. I saw a guy with no arms but he had hands. But is it horrible for him? I mean the only reason he might want arms is because everyone else has them. But he can do anything that we that have arms can. I saw him get into his car and drive home. I was amazed. But regardless of how it happens its better to be alive and defective than not. And defective depends on the view which we are seeing life. If you can do everything you want in life are you really missing anything?
topraman517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 topraman517
Member since 2005 • 823 Posts

Is it moral to tell someone that they don't have the right to reproduce simply because they have "bad" genes? Nobody has perfect genes, so who gets to decide what "bad" means? We have laws in place for incest, but past that, I don't see a clear way to define anything.

my_mortal_coil

I didn't mean that people with "bad" genes shouldn't have the right to reproduce. What I meant is that people should at least take into consideration what their child may have to go through. For most people the only concern is whether they can financially/emotionally support the child.

However, I realize that, in my argument, I make a non-scientific assumption: that if one is not born into the consciousness of one body, one will be born into the consciousness of another body. With that assumption, I was thinking that it would perhaps be better for my potential offspring to instead be born from someone else, thus avoiding my genetic flaws.

But it's more likely that one only comes into a singular existence, or doesn't. On a biological level, this is the reality. On a spiritual level, I have no clue, being of agnostic atheist beliefs. If this is the true nature of life, then my argument is pretty much null. Any reasonable existence is better than no existence, and if parents want to have a child and can support the child, I say go for it. I have a new appreciation for my parents now.

And with that, I'm heading off to bed, so don't expect me to post again any time soon. Thanks for all the responses and feel free to add more.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I don't want to get all sentimental, but a large part of life's beauty lies in its flaws. To deny bringing someone into the world on the basis that life will treat them harshly due to "bad" genes, is IMO, very immoral.

monkeyd_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 monkeyd_93
Member since 2007 • 6848 Posts
didnt this occur during WWII where they didnt allow people with bad genes to reproduce? personally i think everyone has a right to reproduce, even if they have bad genes. plus think in 20 years or so when everyone has perfect kids, and doing perfect jobs, the economy is pretty much screwed, theres a reason why we arent all perfect