Is it legal to kill someone for invading your house?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Immortalica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Immortalica
Member since 2008 • 6309 Posts
Does it matter? If you feel the need to kill someone for breaking into your house, and they pose a threat to your safety, do it.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I would blow his brains out if he´s armed or if he is taking something I really like. If not I would shoot somewhere close to him... he´ll panic and crap his pants and run... or cry in his knees while I call the police :twisted:

unrealtron

Or he'll pull out his own gun (or take yours from you) and kill you. If you're going to shoot then shoot to kill.

Guaracy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 Guaracy-
Member since 2010 • 653 Posts

It's only legal unless you feel that your life is being threatened.

arad96
You can always say you did. Who's gonna be there to say otherwise?
Guaracy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Guaracy-

[QUOTE="unrealtron"]

I would blow his brains out if he´s armed or if he is taking something I really like. If not I would shoot somewhere close to him... he´ll panic and crap his pants and run... or cry in his knees while I call the police :twisted:

worlock77

Or he'll pull out his own gun (or take yours from you) and kill you. If you're going to shoot then shoot to kill.

Or neutralize. Believe me, if you're shot exactly in the knee or in the upper shoulder, you won't do anything before your assailant notices.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
No, it's illegal. I can't imagine any property I have being worth more than a human life either, so that makes sense to me. Using proportionate force in a situation where life was in danger would be legal though.
darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
No, it's illegal. I can't imagine any property I have being worth more than a human life either, so that makes sense to me. Using proportionate force in a situation where life was in danger would be legal though.jimmyjammer69
So I'm going to steal your computer cause my life is worth more than it. Don't you try to hurt me now my life is precious. Can you take the monitor to my car and and Ill get the desktop?
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#60 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
whether it's legal or not....you break into my house and put my family in danger you're not walking out......
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]No, it's illegal. I can't imagine any property I have being worth more than a human life either, so that makes sense to me. Using proportionate force in a situation where life was in danger would be legal though.darkfox101
So I'm going to steal your computer cause my life is worth more than it. Don't you try to hurt me now my life is precious. Can you take the monitor to my car and and Ill get the desktop?

How about I threaten you with a baseball bat or not see you. You won't have a gun because burglars here don't carry guns, so I'm not afraid for my life. Your computer is worth so much to you that you'd kill someone for it?
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

Can't people just use air guns to defend themselves? Aren't they less dangerous?

T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]No, it's illegal. I can't imagine any property I have being worth more than a human life either, so that makes sense to me. Using proportionate force in a situation where life was in danger would be legal though.darkfox101

I don't know how you've done this but damn, it's awful.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Omni-Slash

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]whether it's legal or not....you break into my house and put my family in danger you're not walking out......thegerg

Breaking into a house is different than breaking into a house and presenting a threat to life.

you'll have to excuse me...I'm not gonna have a conversation with the person or persons that break into my house to discover their intentions.....if I'm there with my family I'm gonna assume the worst......to give somone the benefit of the doubt with my wife and kid's lives in the balance.....not gonna happen......
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#66 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]whether it's legal or not....you break into my house and put my family in danger you're not walking out......thegerg

Breaking into a house is different than breaking into a house and presenting a threat to life.

He did say "put family in danger". I feel the same way.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="thegerg"]

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]whether it's legal or not....you break into my house and put my family in danger you're not walking out......killerfist

He did say "put family in danger". I feel the same way.

Yeah, but then he said he's not going to bother finding out whether it's some guy running from gangsters or a burglar or what - he's going to shoot any intruder on the spot.
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#68 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
[QUOTE="thegerg"]

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]whether it's legal or not....you break into my house and put my family in danger you're not walking out......Omni-Slash

you'll have to excuse me...I'm not gonna have a conversation with the person or person't that break into my house to discover their intentions.....if I'm there with my family I'm gonna assume the worst......to give somone the benefit of the doubt with my wife and kid's lives in the balance.....not gonna happen......

Really? The last time I had an invader in my home, I stopped him by the stairs and said, "Pardon me, my good sir. But are you here today for theft or to cause bodily harm?" The kind stranger replied that he had no intention of harming anyone and that he just wanted to steal some valuables. Thanks to this pleasant exchange I knew that I needed only to grab my bat as opposed to my combat shotgun. Are you saying that it doesn't usually go this way, Omni?
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Omni-Slash
Yeah, but then he said he's not going to bother finding out whether it's some guy running from gangsters or a burglar or what - he's going to shoot any intruder on the spot.jimmyjammer69
yes..becausee it's a constant problem in the US that innocent people are being shot dead while breaking into other's houses becase they are hididng from gangsters.....
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Yeah, but then he said he's not going to bother finding out whether it's some guy running from gangsters or a burglar or what - he's going to shoot any intruder on the spot.Omni-Slash
yes..becausee it's a constant problem in the US that innocent people are being shot dead while breaking into other's houses becase they are hididng from gangsters.....

Yeah, who knows what those dead guys were doing there, huh? I mean... it's not like you can ask them.... ... ... . ... .

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Omni-Slash
Really? The last time I had an invader in my home, I stopped him by the stairs and said, "Pardon me, my good sir. But are you here today for theft or to cause bodily harm?" The kind stranger replied that he had no intention of harming anyone and that he just wanted to steal some valuables. Thanks to this pleasant exchange I knew that I needed only to grab my bat as opposed to my combat shotgun. Are you saying that it doesn't usually go this way, Omni? megagene
:lol:....you know gene...I must not be enlightened enough to ever have tried.....god I'm just a cold and hearltess soul...thanks for putting me on teh straight and narrow....:lol:... best post of the day gene...
quetzalcoatI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 quetzalcoatI
Member since 2010 • 627 Posts

You know they made these things called search engines just for questions like this.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Omni-Slash
Yeah, who knows what those dead guys were doing there, huh? I mean... it's not like you can ask them.... ... ... . ... .jimmyjammer69
yup..they are just poor innocent dead chaps.....bodies piling up by the thousands... do you actually believe the stuff you type?....
Guaracy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Guaracy-

[QUOTE="Guaracy-"] Or neutralize. Believe me, if you're shot exactly in the knee or in the upper shoulder, you won't do anything before your assailant notices.thegerg

You should never shoot in an attempt to maim. You never so much as point a gun at someone unless you want to kill them and when you fire you aim to hit center mass.

It might be your only option of stopping the subject. Otherwise, you'd shoot to kill, kill, then get charged as homicide because the PD felt he didn't present a threat to your life. I'm not saying I wouldn't shoot to kill. If I had a gun I'd just shoot, adrenaline would probably get the best of me. But if I somehow managed to stay cool, I'd definitely take a shot at the limbs, or maybe balls. Although I'm not sure if a bullet to the balls will kill you or not...
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Yeah, who knows what those dead guys were doing there, huh? I mean... it's not like you can ask them.... ... ... . ... .Omni-Slash
yup..they are just poor innocent dead chaps.....bodies piling up by the thousands... do you actually believe the stuff you type?....

That many, many people who didn't deserve to die have been shot in America? Yes. ... ... ... ... (ad nauseam)
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Omni-Slash
[QUOTE="thegerg"]

No one ever said anything about having a conversation with them, but you don't always have to conversate with someone to determine their intent. If you find someone kicking in your back door in the middle of the night it's not unreasonable to assume that they may be a threat. If you find an intruder leaving through the back door with an arm full of goodies it's clear that he's there for your things, and not your life.

and what happens when my 5 year old stumbles upon the innocent harmless guy stealing the stereo...do I assume that this outstanding member of my community will jsut pat him on the head and tuck him back in...or decide he doesn't need any witnesses to a theft?.....
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Omni-Slash
That many, many people who didn't deserve to die have been shot in America? Yes. ... ... ... ... (ad nauseam)jimmyjammer69
...if you are dumb enough to break into somone's house...you do deserve to die if it happens...you made the decision to do it....sucks to be you...
Guaracy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Guaracy-

[QUOTE="Guaracy-"] It might be your only option of stopping the subject. Otherwise, you'd shoot to kill, kill, then get charged as homicide because the PD felt he didn't present a threat to your life. I'm not saying I wouldn't shoot to kill. If I had a gun I'd just shoot, adrenaline would probably get the best of me. But if I somehow managed to stay cool, I'd definitely take a shot at the limbs, or maybe balls. Although I'm not sure if a bullet to the balls will kill you or not...thegerg

Whenever you point a gun at someone and pull the trigger you are shooting to kill. I pray that you are not a gun owner. I urge you to take some gun safety classes and do some research into the topic.

I don't own any guns but I think they're interesting. I don't like violence or war by any means, I guess my love for games got me interested in firearms. But you seemed to ignore my comment altogether. There are a million political and legislative issues to take into account if you intend to kill someone. So it's better to just stop them. If the subject stole your things, for example, and you have a sniper rifle, but he's already out of the house, would you intend on killing him? No. I'd shoot him in the legs to make him stop running, then call the police.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Omni-Slash
You should publish your opinions. I imagine there's a huge Fox viewing crowd who'd be willing to buy The... Dumb... Deserve... To... Die, by Omni-Slash.jimmyjammer69
I guess that was supposed to be an insult?....very clever?....
Guaracy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Guaracy-
[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]That many, many people who didn't deserve to die have been shot in America? Yes. ... ... ... ... (ad nauseam)jimmyjammer69
...if you are dumb enough to break into somone's house...you do deserve to die if it happens...you made the decision to do it....sucks to be you...

You should publish your opinions. I imagine there's a huge Fox viewing crowd who'd be willing to buy The... Dumb... Deserve... To... Die, by Omni-Slash.

Well, you really can't blame anyone but yourself if it happens, right?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="unrealtron"]

Guaracy-

Or neutralize. Believe me, if you're shot exactly in the knee or in the upper shoulder, you won't do anything before your assailant notices.

Shooting to maim works wonderfully in the movies and on TV. In reality not so much. If you're aiming at an arm or a leg you stand a much, much greater chance of missing. Even beyond that the bullet doesn't stop until it hits enough mass. Say you miss and the bullet hits an innocent bystander. This is exactly why police are trained to aim for center-of-mass, shoot to kill.

Guaracy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Guaracy-
[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]You should publish your opinions. I imagine there's a huge Fox viewing crowd who'd be willing to buy The... Dumb... Deserve... To... Die, by Omni-Slash.Omni-Slash

I got what the joke was... And it was pretty clever lol but I still favor you in this argument. Sort of.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Omni-Slash

I'd say that an intruder within arm's reach of your child presents a threat. Am I correct in that assumption? As I said earlier, there is a difference between someone breaking in and someone breaking in and posing a threat.

thegerg
abnd what I'm saying..as a parent..anyone breaking into my hosue is a threat....a threat to my families well being....you can;t tell somone's intention...you're right...maybe the only want your stereo...but maybe the want your stereo..and the cash in the safe in my bedroom...or mayeb the want my wife's jewlery....or my kid's DS..I don't knwo that..nor do I want to take the risk of finding out and having something bad happen to them...sorry...if it's jsut me..I can risk it..my family...I'm not taking the time to find out a life story....
Guaracy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Guaracy-

[QUOTE="Guaracy-"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

Shooting to maim works wonderfully in the movies and on TV. In reality not so much. If you're aiming at an arm or a leg you stand a much, much greater chance of missing. Even beyond that the bullet doesn't stop until it hits enough mass. Say you miss and the bullet hits an innocent bystander. This is exactly why police are trained to aim for center-of-mass, shoot to kill.

I suppose, yeah. There's always bullet penetration though. And I was thinking midnight stuff, like a guy breaks into your house. There wouldn't be anyone there to get hurt. I'd rather keep trying and wasting bullets if I had to than catch a year in prison.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Omni-Slash
[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]You should publish your opinions. I imagine there's a huge Fox viewing crowd who'd be willing to buy The... Dumb... Deserve... To... Die, by Omni-Slash.Guaracy-

I got what the joke was... And it was pretty clever lol but I still favor you in this argument. Sort of.

I got the joke...it was just the normal boringly lame left wing crap that these boards are known for....
quetzalcoatI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 quetzalcoatI
Member since 2010 • 627 Posts

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"] and what happens when my 5 year old stumbles upon the innocent harmless guy stealing the stereo...do I assume that this outstanding member of my community will jsut pat him on the head and tuck him back in...or decide he doesn't need any witnesses to a theft?.....thegerg

I'd say that an intruder within arm's reach of your child presents a threat. Am I correct in that assumption? As I said earlier, there is a difference between someone breaking in and someone breaking in and posing a threat.

The only scenario I could think of where this is not the case is shooting a guy in the back as he runs out of your house.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Omni-Slash
The only scenario I could think of where this is not the case is shooting a guy in the back as he runs out of your house. quetzalcoatI
exaclty...I'm not gonna gun somone down if I catch him as he's running out my door....that's just rediculous....
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
My views on this have changed dramatically since becoming a parent. I don't own a gun, but I will probably do whatever it takes to protect my fsmily from any intruder. I will automatically assume that anyone who breaks into my house is hostile.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="quetzalcoatI"] The only scenario I could think of where this is not the case is shooting a guy in the back as he runs out of your house. Omni-Slash
exaclty...I'm not gonna gun somone down if I catch him as he's running out my door....that's just rediculous....

What if he's running with a family member in each hand, Omni? We all know what these intruders are like.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
You know, a general observation here and in regards of similar topics clearly indicates paranoia. For instance many apparantly would shoot someone trying or who has broken into their home because they assume they have a firearm on them and will kill them rather then turn and flee which is what is usually done when a criminal realizes he's been discovered. Granted the circulation of firearms are high in the US and many have one, but at the end of it it doesn't seem like most feel safe at home because if an armed criminal comes around then it's simply a matter of who manages to shoot the other one first. Nor does it seem like there's much faith in the law enforcement. But this is just my observation and food for thought.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Omni-Slash
What if he's running with a family member in each hand, Omni? We all know what these intruders are like.jimmyjammer69
no no no..you're mistaken...these intruders are all family men...who have jsut lost their job because the Man has closed the plant they have been working at for the last 30 years. Now they have a wife, 2 kids a dog and a cat that they can't feed......and did I mention his yongest son now has cancer?...because he does.....now this poor guy who haf no alternative but to steal in order to provide for his family is shot dead by some heartless rich guy who has had all these wonderful belongings just given to him because this pathetic rich guy didn't take the time to learn his life story....*tear*
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]What if he's running with a family member in each hand, Omni? We all know what these intruders are like.Omni-Slash
no no no..you're mistaken...these intruders are all family men...who have jsut lost their job because the Man has closed the plant they have been working at for the last 30 years. Now they have a wife, 2 kids a dog and a cat that they can't feed......and did I mention his yongest son now has cancer?...because he does.....now this poor guy who haf no alternative but to steal in order to provide for his family is shot dead by some heartless rich guy who has had all these wonderful belongings just given to him because this pathetic rich guy didn't take the time to learn his life story....*tear*

Wow, it's like you've broken into my mind, man. I've seen the light. Some people are just born spawn of satan and, failing exorcism, deserve to be shot - no questions asked.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Guaracy-"] Or neutralize. Believe me, if you're shot exactly in the knee or in the upper shoulder, you won't do anything before your assailant notices.Guaracy-

I suppose, yeah. There's always bullet penetration though. And I was thinking midnight stuff, like a guy breaks into your house. There wouldn't be anyone there to get hurt. I'd rather keep trying and wasting bullets if I had to than catch a year in prison.

Sure. And while we're putting together idea fantasy scenearios I'm thinking that the burgler will, upon seeing me, just stop, apoligize, set down while I call the police and wait until the police arrive.