Is it just me or is alot of UFC (MMA) fans really annoying, snobbish?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chansaet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 chansaet
Member since 2003 • 6281 Posts

Ok so I know alot of people who like MMA. They are espcialyl UFC fans. Like all they talk about is UFC. If you mention any other sport just as NBA, NFL they act like those sports are for qoute "girls" and that MMA is the only real man's sport. I said that I thought the the last fight between Dos Santos and Valasquez was lame because it was only one minute. There answer was that I should get a life. Is this just the people I know or are alot of UFC fans like this?

I'm mostly thinking its just the people I know but I just want to see other peoples experiance

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
It's not just you. I said something really similar last time there was an MMA thread made here and a few people agreed.
3eyedrazorback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#3 3eyedrazorback
Member since 2005 • 16380 Posts
Just look at the clothes they like to wear. It screams snobbish.
iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

I thought most of them were rednecks. :?

3eyedrazorback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 3eyedrazorback
Member since 2005 • 16380 Posts

iloverikku11
Rednecks? Where does that idea come from? How many rednecks do you see in MMA?
chansaet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chansaet

iloverikku11
I would have thought that was WWE. mostly due to south park. MMA to me are those "EXTREME!!!!" people.
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

MMA fighter.

UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 UniverseIX
Member since 2011 • 989 Posts

majority of fans for any type of sport aren't my cup of tea

[QUOTE="iloverikku11"]

3eyedrazorback

Rednecks? Where does that idea come from? How many rednecks do you see in MMA?

he's talking about the fans not the competitors. and he's right.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

What's really funny is when people say things like "Hey man, I do UFC. Don't **** with me."

Like UFC is a martial art :lol: Also funny is that because a lot of them watch it they think they're tough.

So yeah, a lot (but like in anything, not ALL) of the fans are extremely irritating. Not that I don't like the sport though, I just don't watch it often.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#10 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

What's really funny is when people say things like "Hey man, I do UFC. Don't **** with me."

theuncharted34
We had a self-proclaimed UFC fighter come into our gym for some Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu training a few days ago. He talked a lot of crap early on, so we spent an hour of training throwing him into arm bars and choking him out. Good times.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
some are, some aren't ...but the ones that are are usually very easy to spot as they be wearing something similar to this +5 internets if you guess what is in the spoiler [spoiler]  [/spoiler]
shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

Snobbish isn't the right word. It comes from a latin abbreviation translated as "without [noble] tittle". So a snobbish person would boast about things considered a high class would enjoy - opera, wine etc.

And MMA resembles ancient gladiator fights for plebeians rather than a good concert:P

The word you're looking for is a douchebag

LiftedHeadshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LiftedHeadshot
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts
MMA is cool but I'm bothered by the ones who douse themselves in "Tap Out" merchandise
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
a lot of people are really annoying.
Gokuja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gokuja
Member since 2005 • 3767 Posts
I would agree that some MMA fans are...hell even my bro. Last weekend my g/f had her mom over and my bro was watching the fights and my friend commented that she didn't like it or something like that. My bro rolled his eyes and said something like how it was the best sport or something. But then again thats how my bro is anyway...either with or w/o MMA lol
chansaet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chansaet
So I was talking to some of my friends who love mma. I said I thought the Dos Santos fight was lame because it lasted only 1 min. Didn't even get into the fight or anything and it was already over. There reaction as astonisihing. It was like I said something so outragous something someone should never ever say. Is it really that outragous or something? Seriously? Is it just these guys or is it alot of MMA fans.
RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts
Honestly, I don't know a single MMA fan. Need any fashion advice while I'm here?
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

They aren't real mma fans. They are "ufc" fans. Big difference. Those are the type of people that wear tapout but don't know a thing about submissions or anything about mma for that matter. But really every sport has this so there is no need to point it out.

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#20 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

Not that I've noticed. I'm a huge MMA fan but I don't watch any other sport. It's not because I think they are 'girly' or anything like that, they just aren't for me.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#21 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

They aren't real mma fans. They are "ufc" fans. Big difference. Those are the type of people that wear tapout but don't know a thing about submissions or anything about mma for that matter. But really every sport has this so there is no need to point it out.

SouL-Tak3R
They should actually be appreciating other types of martialarts as well and not just mauy thai. After all it is mixed. I doubt this person is an mma fan.
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SouL-Tak3R

[QUOTE="SouL-Tak3R"]

shadowchronicle

They should actually be appreciating other types of martialarts as well and not just mauy thai. After all it is mixed. I doubt this person is an mma fan.

What? Who, the ufc fans should appreciate other types of martial arts? I'm confused. What I think you are saying is that ufc fans all watch it for the stand up fighting and that's it. That is why I respect people more who don't say "i love ufc" but the people that say" i love mma" because they know ufc isn't the sport it's an organization for the sport.

But I myself love mma. I watch all of em. Ufc, Bellator, Bamma, Strikeforce. I've even been training for around a year and a half now.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

I haven't met any, but i'm sure they're out there. I chuckle to myself when I see joes wearing Tap Out and Affliction shirts when they quite clearly are trying to showcase their manliness that they don't have.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

There's definitelya meathead aspect amongst some ofthe fans. I'm basing this entirely on my experiences of watching PPVs in bars. Lot more tight T-shirts and short haircuts in the bar during a UFC fight, versus say, a Colts game.

some are, some aren'trawsavon

This, really. With the exception of major boxing matches, you see better dressed crowds at UFC events than just about any other popular sport. (I'm not counting stuff like the Kentucky Derby.)

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I chuckle to myself when I see joes wearing Tap Out and Affliction shirts when they quite clearly are trying to showcase their manliness that they don't have.

Optical_Order

But...but...Optical, how will everyone know how tough I am if I don't wear my Affliction shirt?? :(

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
Sure. Plenty of them are d-bags, but plenty of them aren't. For me, MMA is just one sport that I like (in addition to the NFL, NHL, NBA :(, college basketball, soccer, tennis...). I just appreciate MMA for its different aspects...for the things I don't get on an NFL Sunday for instance. And, yeah. I have two Dan Henderson shirts and I wear them. If people think down on me for supporting my favorite fighter then they can eat a bag of d***s, because they're just looking for a reason to criticize anyone who likes MMA and are as narrowminded as the very people they dislike from the get-go.
Blue_Shield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blue_Shield
Member since 2010 • 2610 Posts

To me, that description could fit any sport, not just UFC or MMA.

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts

rawsavon
Ha! I knew it, that's another +5 points for me :)

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

My biggest problem with some of them is their total disrespect for traditional martial arts.

greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 greenskittles
Member since 2011 • 661 Posts

Generalizations are exactly that though so I can't say whether or not they are more annoying then soccer, basketball, football etc. Every sport can have their annoying set of fans, with vice versa having a great set of them at the same time.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

I typically roll my eyes when I see people with tap out shirts

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I love UFC and boxing as much as the next guy, but I'm not like that. I understand why many people don't like UFC; the fights are either too short or long and boring. Few are actually long and entertaining enough for the casual viewer to enjoy. However, I myself still enjoy short fights, even if they're only 20 seconds long. That's just a part of MMA. Fights can stop with one punch, and they often do.
deathtarget04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#35 deathtarget04
Member since 2009 • 2266 Posts

[QUOTE="one_plum"]

My biggest problem with some of them is their total disrespect for traditional martial arts.

thegerg

You seem to be confused. I'm an MMA fan, you're talking about me here. I do not disrespect martial arts, and neither do any of the other fans I know.

That's why he said "some" fans

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

There's many things I associate MMA fans with. Being snobby is not one of them.

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SouL-Tak3R

[QUOTE="SouL-Tak3R"]

[QUOTE="shadowchronicle"] They should actually be appreciating other types of martialarts as well and not just mauy thai. After all it is mixed. I doubt this person is an mma fan.thegerg

What? Who, the ufc fans should appreciate other types of martial arts? I'm confused. What I think you are saying is that ufc fans all watch it for the stand up fighting and that's it. That is why I respect people more who don't say "i love ufc" but the people that say" i love mma" because they know ufc isn't the sport it's an organization for the sport.

But I myself love mma. I watch all of em. Ufc, Bellator, Bamma, Strikeforce. I've even been training for around a year and a half now.

Why do you not respect someone simply because the like an organization?

You misunderstood. I did not say anything about not respecting someone because they like an organization. I'm saying I don't care for people who call themselves fans but think the sport is ufc. And if you mention "mma" they have no idea what you are talking about.

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Just look at the clothes they like to wear. It screams snobbish.3eyedrazorback
Couldn't agree more.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

MMA fighter.

cd_rom

you stole my pic!

Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Papadrach
Member since 2008 • 1965 Posts

Ever since UFC became big like 2-4 years ago, ppl at my school always wear tapout shirts n that crap and think they can UFC fight and beat the crap out of everyone. Its pathetic.

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts

Snobbish isn't the right word. It comes from a latin abbreviation translated as "without [noble] tittle".shinian
Excuse me? This is the first I am hearing of this.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#43 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Can't speak for everyone, but I find alot of MMA fans to just be a bunch of wannabe tough guys who just want to pretend to be cool. Hell I knew one guy who though he was SO tough that he got a MMA trianer and thought he was going to be a good fighter and all that, but he got his ass kicked in the first round and he broke his hand. Yeah your real tough arn't ya :roll:

I can't speak for everyone though of course, but MMA isn't really my thing. I like martial arts and stuff but it goes against the philosphy of many of them by not fighitng for self defense, sure there is sparring but that's a bit different. But whatever that's just me.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Less snobbish, more obnoxious.

pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
i just don't like the TAPOUT clothing line.
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

Me and my roommates watch UFC all the time but none of us wear those stupid tapout shirts or anything like that. I do know some people that are like what you described though but I'm thinking that is a minority

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
its a bro thing. i still like the sport, but yeah. yeah they are.