Is it hard to live in California?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 AznKSor
Member since 2010 • 1400 Posts

I am 15 years old and plan on being a concept artist for SCEA companies or any companie that hires me.I live in Michigan and there arent really and top quality Art Colleges here.So i plan on going to Art Institute of Santa Monica.Why? Because its close to Naughty Dog,Santa Monica,and Insomniac.And i would luv to vist there and even ask questions.But i heard that in California....Taxes are through the roof! But how high?Can a guy like me live there?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Yes it is. It's EXTREMELY expensive to live here, the state is bankrupt and the job market and economy suck here.

MaxPred2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MaxPred2010
Member since 2010 • 547 Posts
Like a cereal, California is full of fruits, nuts and flakes. You should probably try another state.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

If you can make it here you can make it any where.

AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AznKSor

Like a cereal, California is full of fruits, nuts and flakes. You should probably try another state.MaxPred2010
So should i just work for comapnies out side california first.Then if i get hired by SCEA i can move there?Or one thing...Roommates?

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

Yes it is. It's EXTREMELY expensive to live here.

Pirate700
It would be very hard for to live there b/c of the politics and double standard when it comes to things like energy usage (they use a ton and will not build more/expand grids; preach going green but will not allow 'green' methods such as wind power b/c of how it looks)
Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jackboot343
Member since 2007 • 2574 Posts

If you can make it here you can make it any where.

gago-gago

Thought it was supposed to be New York

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

I am 15 years old and plan on being a concept artist for SCEA companies or any companie that hires me.I live in Michigan and there arent really and top quality Art Colleges here.So i plan on going to Art Institute of Santa Monica.Why? Because its close to Naughty Dog,Santa Monica,and Insomniac.And i would luv to vist there and even ask questions.But i heard that in California....Taxes are through the roof! But how high?Can a guy like me live there?

AznKSor
going to a college because its near those companies doesn't give you an edge, i say you look at places around Michigan
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

Like a cereal, California is full of fruits, nuts and flakes. You should probably try another state.MaxPred2010

i found that offensive.

California is amazing.

majwill24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 majwill24
Member since 2004 • 1355 Posts

From what I understand California is an expensive state with bad services and lots of racial tensions.

I wouldnt want to live there

buldog300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#11 buldog300
Member since 2003 • 2152 Posts
Not if you're rich and you can afford the protection of a gated and ac'd community. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend trying. My family lived there for a reasonable amount of time and we hated every second of it.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts
some parts of California I'm sure are pricier than others, probably expecting to pay more around Santa Monica I'd imagine there's a state income tax but I wouldn't sweat it if you're a student paying for school on student loans or a saved tuition fund, or if you're parents are paying for it, but if you're going to be working to pay for it then you'd have to take your income level into consideration and calculate the state income tax
PerfectCircles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PerfectCircles
Member since 2009 • 2359 Posts
I've heard its very expensive.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

As a Californian, it is difficult to be objective. I will try, though.

I make about 18k a year. I get by just fine, and live in a nice area that is a bit pricy but not too bad. Santa Monica would be insane, though; I strongly urge you not to go to Southern California if you are coming to California looking for a job (if you moved because you were offered, that'd be one thing).

The people here are generally very nice, though they do seem to get pissier and more defensive the further south you go. I do not recommend going any more south than Santa Barbara; that is the line for me, personally.

Do not let me deter you, though; I like people from LA and stuff just fine, I just feel the environment and culture they live in and around makes them cranky and vain.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
[QUOTE="AznKSor"]

Chris_Williams
going to a college because its near those companies doesn't give you an edge, i say you look at places around Michigan

It does, actually. If he can get an internship at one of those places while he's in school he'll be set for a good career. Anyway, OP, if you only go to California for school you don't have to worry about taxes, property values, etc. since you'll be living on campus most likely.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="AznKSor"]

gameguy6700

It does, actually. If he can get an internship at one of those places while he's in school he'll be set for a good career. Anyway, OP, if you only go to California for school you don't have to worry about taxes, property values, etc. since you'll be living on campus most likely.

not 100% sure, but pretty damn sure, out-of-state tuition adds up to a lot :(

flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts

Yes it is. It's EXTREMELY expensive to live here, the state is bankrupt and the job market and economy suck here.

Pirate700
lol I JUST got home from California on vacation and yeah it is pretty expensive to live there. You have to pay for parking anywhere you go and even if you have decent income you might end up living in a rundown apartment anyway. It's a great place with a lot of things to do, but you're going to need a lot of money or you're gonna end up on the streets.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 The-Apostle
If you're looking at going to college here be ready to pay those massive tuition bills because it increases every year. :cry:
ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
haha thats true dude.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="MaxPred2010"]Like a cereal, California is full of fruits, nuts and flakes. You should probably try another state.ReaperV7
haha thats true dude.

yea, but all that stuff is good for you :D

AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AznKSor

I really want to go to California. Why?When i went there to vist my Uncle he drove us on teh Highway and Streets of Santa Monica and Long Beach.Sun was setting and it was amazing.Warm,High winds,amazing sun set, got my vote :D Also The companies the are my top favorite.Other then Square Enix.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

The landscape and weather are beautiful. It's got high taxes but also lots of services - hence the high taxes. I think you may want to broaden your horizons, though, and look at other companies besides SCEA.

nelson415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 nelson415
Member since 2007 • 1807 Posts

not too hard, but not easy either.

astrozombie37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 astrozombie37
Member since 2010 • 2687 Posts

Well I live in socal and I live kinda close to Santa Monica, I don't find it too difficult because this is pretty much all I have ever known, but after going to other states, I realized how expensive things are here. I suggest trying to find a college somewhere in Michigan. :)

ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts

[QUOTE="ReaperV7"][QUOTE="MaxPred2010"]Like a cereal, California is full of fruits, nuts and flakes. You should probably try another state.mrbojangles25

haha thats true dude.

well the actual food items yes...but otherwise.....hell no
astrozombie37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 astrozombie37
Member since 2010 • 2687 Posts

[QUOTE="ReaperV7"][QUOTE="MaxPred2010"]Like a cereal, California is full of fruits, nuts and flakes. You should probably try another state.mrbojangles25

haha thats true dude.

Lol I guess I'd be a nut :P
fighter91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fighter91
Member since 2005 • 1293 Posts
I live in southern california and it really depends WHICH city you live in. If you live anywhere in or near Santa Monica, Los Angeles, or the San Diego area, then yes it will be quite difficult to make a living. However, in the inland valley cities (Riverside, Moreno Valley, San bernardino,etc) You can get by easily even with a low income. Even though those cities are not as glamorous as the other ones, they are very cheap to live in. Don't believe what others have said about people being cranky. People here are nice.
Raiden004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Raiden004
Member since 2009 • 1605 Posts

Its pretty hard out here. And i don't even have half to pay bills yet. We're sooooooooooooo bankrupt!

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

wuuuuuut? :?

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gameguy6700

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"] going to a college because its near those companies doesn't give you an edge, i say you look at places around Michigan mrbojangles25

not 100% sure, but pretty damn sure, out-of-state tuition adds up to a lot :(

Yeah, but out-of-state tuition costs don't just apply to CA colleges, they apply to every college outside the state you're a resident of so that's kind of a moot point. It also wouldn't matter at all if he was looking at a private university since in-state and out-of-state costs for private universities are the same in every case I'm aware of.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

I'm just saying you might want to get your degree somewhere else cheaper then move to California ( I can guarantee you will pay out the *** to come out of state for a California college).

A degree from any refutable college is pretty much equal across the US.

It (getting a good higher education job) really comes down to your portfolio ( demo of work, and side projects), and who you know.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

AznKSor

I live in California and I'm training to become a game artist at the Laguna College of Art and Design. I've lived in California all my life and I must say that it's a pretty difficult place to live because you may have to commute long distances to get between your place and work. It really depends on your location, but finding convenient locations to live is difficult. Mortgages and other house-related expenses are pretty expensive.

So you're going into concept art for games, eh? It's a very tough field in the game industry to get into because it's so competitive. How's your portfolio coming along?

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

It's a ****ing *****.

NintendoNite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NintendoNite
Member since 2010 • 728 Posts
dude. DO NOT go to the art insitute. They are nothing but a big SCAM! trust me.
AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AHUGECAT
Member since 2006 • 8967 Posts

Southern California (specifically L.A. County) is the worst region in the USA. I'll focus on L.A. County.

- Horrible traffic. Seriously, if you have to meet somewhere/one at like 5PM... go at 3PM. Sometimes that isn't an exaggeration.

- Gang members. Lot better than the 90's, but there are still a few sketchy areas.

- Expensive. Studios can go up to $900 a month, even in bad areas.

- Weather may suck for some. Little hot, no rain (so it's very yellow-grass here).

- Illegal immigrants. They are all over. The Government says there are only 11 million illegals but it feels like there is 11 million in LA County alone. Spanish IS practically required and learning Korean/Mandarin is recommended.

- It's too big and confusing too many people. NYC and Chicago are big but L.A. in terms of area is twice the size and has a very massive freeway system.

- Pollution. Don't come here if you have asthma. It's better than 10 years ago but did you know L.A. has more cars than all of Russia? Yeah, it's really polluted.

- Fake people who try to be cool and buy worthless stuff to look it.

Of course, it's not all bad...

- Diversity. Most people get along here, surprisingly most L.A. people are cool too. Every ethnicity has huge numbers here and get along pretty well (though illegal immigrants are changing that).

- Weather. If you hate rain and like sun this is perfect... it hardly rains here and it's almost always sunny. Basin is cooler than the Valley. Santa Monica has perfect weather pretty much (but too expensive).

- Shopping, movies, attractions. Only 20-30 minutes from Disneyland/Knotts Berry Farm/Magic Mountain (which is in L.A. county), Walk of Fame, Hollywood Sign, so much to do. Beverly Center is lame though avoid it!

- Beaches. Some of the best in the world and most unique. Venice is my favorite as well as Manhattan Beach.

AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AznKSor

[QUOTE="AznKSor"]

Shad0ki11

I live in California and I'm training to become a game artist at the Laguna College of Art and Design. I've lived in California all my life and I must say that it's a pretty difficult place to live because you may have to commute long distances to get between your place and work. It really depends on your location, but finding convenient locations to live is difficult. Mortgages and other house-related expenses are pretty expensive.

So you're going into concept art for games, eh? It's a very tough field in the game industry to get into because it's so competitive. How's your portfolio coming along?

Lol im only 15. But i say im pretty good.There are alot of people at my school who want to be in the gaming business.But only 2 want to be artist for games.1 is me and the other draws manga most of the time.But yah im working on it.Im pretty scared because Concept art is the most hardest job in games. I dont want to fail and not have a job.But if i keep drawing then ill pull it through.Its not just Concept art im interested in Character Art as well.Also good luck :D Might see you in the same studio.

AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AznKSor

dude. DO NOT go to the art insitute. They are nothing but a big SCAM! trust me. NintendoNite
Full Sail University?

SJGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SJGuy
Member since 2010 • 66 Posts

I lived most of my life in Florida (and a few years in Pennsylvania) and have only been living in California for about 6 years now. I think it's great and although the job market is bad, it's not as bad as Florida or many other states. The cost of living is high, but the jobs more than make up for it in my opinion. In Florida, my 1 room apartment was $800 and a typical mail room job (high school diploma type job) paid about $9.00/hr. In California, my 1 room apartment is about $1100, but those jobs pay around $14.00/hr. So when I first moved to California, I was instantly making about $800 more per month, even though my rent was only about $300 more per month. So I guess it depends on what you're accustomed to and what you're looking for. Another big plus that I like about California is public transportation. I've always had a car here and moved out here with one, but when I was working (I'm self employed now), I would still take the train to work. It was like $1.75 or $40 a month to get from one end of the city to the other, or less than $4.00 to go as far as a 40 minute drive would be. I saved a lot of money in gas doing that. It's very easy to get around California because there's buses and trains in most areas.

Note: I live in Northern California

Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
Repping that SM! Born and raised, what what
NintendoNite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NintendoNite
Member since 2010 • 728 Posts

[QUOTE="NintendoNite"]dude. DO NOT go to the art insitute. They are nothing but a big SCAM! trust me. AznKSor

Full Sail University?

I believe they are accredited so yes, thats a better choice
shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

Depends on where you live. From what I know Orange county and LA cost alot to live but if you live more inland from the beach (around where i living) its alot cheaper

Aspen706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Aspen706
Member since 2010 • 4560 Posts
Its nothing man, I have lived there almost my entire life.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

If i were you i'd find a place around michigan that has the same degree and go there. Michigan has some of the lowest housing prices in the country (you can actually buy a house for 30,000 if you don't mind fixing it up a bit). It doesn't need to be in Michigan, but the mid-west seems to have relatively low housing prices compared to the coastal cities. Only move to california if you are guaranteed a good paying job.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

[QUOTE="Shad0ki11"]

[QUOTE="AznKSor"]

AznKSor

Lol im only 15. But i say im pretty good.There are alot of people at my school who want to be in the gaming business.But only 2 want to be artist for games.1 is me and the other draws manga most of the time.But yah im working on it.Im pretty scared because Concept art is the most hardest job in games. I dont want to fail and not have a job.But if i keep drawing then ill pull it through.Its not just Concept art im interested in Character Art as well.Also good luck :D Might see you in the same studio.

lol. Yeah. You have quite a ways to go.

Let me give you some advice: Make sure you get your foundational skills down well, especially figure drawing and painting. When the time comes in 3-4 years from now when you're showing your portfolio to a good art school (one with a game art program), they're going to want to know that you can handle different mediums and styles. They're not going to accept just personal artwork (including concept art) unless you're some sort of child prodigy who just blows everyone else out of the water (which is unlikely in all honesty).

Long story short: Work on your foundational skills. They are vital if you wish to get into a good game art program. :)

judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#45 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
Depends on which part of California you live in, LA is really busy, other places are really calm and relaxing.
SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SpArKs424
Member since 2010 • 2203 Posts

Yes it is i live in southern California and where i live if your not 30 or have right experience you are not getting a job unemployment here in my county which is Riverside county is 11% which is high .

x-wing20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 x-wing20
Member since 2003 • 1293 Posts

I live in orange county a regular track home in a middle class neighborhood will set you back half-million easily. Second all of the businesses in California are moving to Nevada. The politicians can't get their act together and they like to tax you up @$$ with fees that aren'treally taxes but they're actually taxes, there are special electronic recycling fees, high income taxes, high property taxes, and then there are theoretical taxes like getting taxed for every mile you drive etc, etc.

On the bright side we have Disneyland and the beach and the mountains are nice too. Other than there's nothing special.

JetLag123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 JetLag123
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

I live in southern california and it really depends WHICH city you live in. If you live anywhere in or near Santa Monica, Los Angeles, or the San Diego area, then yes it will be quite difficult to make a living. However, in the inland valley cities (Riverside, Moreno Valley, San bernardino,etc) You can get by easily even with a low income. Even though those cities are not as glamorous as the other ones, they are very cheap to live in. Don't believe what others have said about people being cranky. People here are nice.fighter91

this. and alot of these places aren't too far away from where all the action is. I live in the riverside area and routinly take trips to LA and OC, even occasionally trek up more north to Santa Barbara. people really aren't too bad over here. hell, when I visited other states you wont believe the kind of discrimination I get when I say I'm from california... for some reason I am looked at as if I'm an alien when that's thrown out there. the heat is the only real issue, but other than that... its a really nice place to live and I can't imagine living anywhere else.

oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts

It's expensive for sure, but if you have the money to support life here it's no harder than anywhere else. As common sense would dictate :P.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

Pirate700

Uhh really? Cause i live in San Francisco and lived in San Jose bothcities are considered to be the most expensive in the state, and Ive payed for college, rent, concerts, games blah blah blah with no problem and with just a 10 dollar job.

Living in California is fun, and its not hard at all. But i would be lieing if I didn't say that things are overly expensive and you do have to make adjustments to your living style.