Is it hard to get a good career in computer graphics design?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chocobo7000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chocobo7000
Member since 2008 • 737 Posts

If I were going to try, I guess my plan would be get a bachlor's in business, an associate's in computer graphics, and try to eventually work my way up to art director. Is that a good plan?

When would I finally start getting paid a decent amount?

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

I'm not sure. To be honest, I don't think so, because look at everything that uses Graphic Design. Almost everything now uses CGD.

I just graduated sophmore year, and I've seriously been considering looking into this field.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

I believe Computer Graphics design is one of the great up and coming fields. IT would be smart to get into. Do you have any idea how much money people make through website design? They make 1000's of dollars per site.

LK-47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 LK-47
Member since 2009 • 1167 Posts
You have to be extremely good at designing, and can't have many weaknesses when it comes to graphic design. I know a couple friends that are trying to do this, and they've told me it's not easy. If you get good at it and really want to do it, then shoot for it. :)
carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

I believe Computer Graphics design is one of the great up and coming fields. IT would be smart to get into. Do you have any idea how much money people make through website design? They make 1000's of dollars per site.

BumFluff122

More like 1000's of dollars per page in some cases...

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

BumFluff122
My sister just got offered 3800 pounds to make a website :shock:. It's certainly a lucrative business.
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts
I build some websites, I do it for cheap because it's not my main source of income and I really give good deals to my customers because professionals charge them an arm and a leg. I'd have to say that one skill that would really help me is graphics. I can do enough to make a pretty sleek interface, but someone who is really skilled in that field would really take a website to a whole new level. If you have solid XHTML, CSS, and Javasript skills coupled with skills in computer graphics you could do some really nice websites.
trubluah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 trubluah
Member since 2002 • 3678 Posts
I don't think it's hard get get into the career, but there is a lot of competition in field especially with people looking for decent wages. But a lot of the companies are looking for designers though.
shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#9 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

I'd think it is hard.

Cenerune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Cenerune
Member since 2008 • 588 Posts

Speaking as graphic designer myself, it's an extremely competitive field and you will definitely need some sort of specialized education via college or university into it if you want a steady paying job. Just being good with a computer and photoshop mean nothing, you need a solid grasp on a load of softwares as well as knowledge in various stuff related to it.

One thing that is important to know is that this kind of job can get extremely tedious and it's pretty rare to see people doing this kind of job for most of their life, unless you really are passionate about it. I've been doing it for 3 years and i'm already getting tired of it, currently part timing it mixed with illustration and working on getting into the game industry instead.

Another sad reality of this job is that you need to accept you won't always produce satisfying work and you still need to sell this work, it's a big bag of mystery as sometime to live out of it, you will need to do crappy and boring jobs. The vast majority of clients will come to you with crappy budget and you need to pull something decent out of it respecting your hourly wage or contract. If you go with a big firm and work on big projects, then you will have to worry about fighting for your spot as it's extremely dynamic and they won't hesitate to replace you with fresh people if you aren't innovative enough.

If you want your own business, be ready to spend a good bit of money on softwares, hardware, publicity and so on.

In short if it's your passion, go ahead, if you are in for the money, forget it.