Is it against the rules to wear earplugs as a Golfer?

#1 Posted by IsraeliJoshua (80 posts) -

Rory is pissed that drunk fans verbally abuse him and taunt his wife's name. Other golfers (Tiger) cannot be disrupted during the swing itself.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/22811719/rory-mcilroy-says-limiting-alcohol-sales-necessary-calm-abusive-fans

Can a golfer elect to wear ear plugs? i mean the caddy is the only one he really needs to communicate with, and they can just talk in close range.

#2 Posted by korvus (10999 posts) -

Never bothered watching golf but I didn't imagine it to be the place where the crowd would be shouting at the players...maybe I had the wrong idea...obviously I have no idea what the rules say about earplugs but I don't see the problem.

#3 Posted by DaVillain- (28383 posts) -

The idea is to not make any loud noise while the Golfer is getting ready to take the shot, but I never heard of a rule saying you can't use earplugs, I see no other reasons why it would be an issue.

#4 Posted by brimmul777 (3535 posts) -

Don't know? But it's not a bad idea.

#5 Posted by Nuck81 (6981 posts) -

Not during competition.

PGA rules are surprisingly strict

Rory wouldn’t be taunted if he wasn’t a baby about it.

#6 Posted by IsraeliJoshua (80 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

Not during competition.

I see, if you are thin skinned like rory, best to grow wax in your ears.

yeah, i like Tiger's approach to this... he basically says to fans go ahead get pissdrunk and curse at me all you want, but don't even think about making a peep during the swing

#7 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (5011 posts) -

I agree that abusive fans (screaming taunts and personal stuff) should be immediately kicked out. However, golf is like the only decently big sport where the players complain if it isn't almost silent while they play. I get that they want the portrayal of the sport to be "classy", but if an NBA player can go up to the free throw line with thousands of opposing fans screaming and waving around to try to make him miss I think golfers can deal with a little noise.

#8 Edited by Nuck81 (6981 posts) -
@israelijoshua said:
@Nuck81 said:

Not during competition.

I see, if you are thin skinned like rory, best to grow wax in your ears.

yeah, i like Tiger's approach to this... he basically says to fans go ahead get pissdrunk and curse at me all you want, but don't even think about making a peep during the swing

The PGA crowd has definitely gotten rowdier the last 10-15 years, but for the most part they are still 100% respectful and follow etiquette.

#9 Posted by theone86 (21310 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

Not during competition.

Surprisingly? Sometimes I think the only enjoyment some people get out of golf is enforcing/following arbitrary rules.

And yeah, they should just suck it up. Time was people were wondering whether or not golf could survive as a sport, now they're attracting more fans and they're pissed that they're louder than usual. You decide, guys, do you want more fans or not?

Funnily enough, I've been reading a book about baseball and one of the things the guy mentions is that golfers throw a fit if someone sneezes during their backswing, but the crowd is encouraged to be as loud as possible while an opposing hitter is trying to hit a moving target as opposed to a stationary one.

#10 Posted by GTR12 (12957 posts) -

@theone86 said:
@Nuck81 said:

Not during competition.

Surprisingly? Sometimes I think the only enjoyment some people get out of golf is enforcing/following arbitrary rules.

And yeah, they should just suck it up. Time was people were wondering whether or not golf could survive as a sport, now they're attracting more fans and they're pissed that they're louder than usual. You decide, guys, do you want more fans or not?

Funnily enough, I've been reading a book about baseball and one of the things the guy mentions is that golfers throw a fit if someone sneezes during their backswing, but the crowd is encouraged to be as loud as possible while an opposing hitter is trying to hit a moving target as opposed to a stationary one.

Completely agree with this, all sports should be loud, isn't that the point of it? lets just silently cheer for our favourite player/team, yeah get stuffed.

That's why I dislike watching tennis in person, you have to stay quiet, **** off officials, I'll cheer as loud as I like.

#11 Posted by foxhound_fox (97010 posts) -

Suck it up, buttercup.

People here in Winnipeg during Jets (hockey) games will chant the opposing team's goalie's name. Almost 15,000 people, in unison, calling out a goalie has to be intimidating, regardless of who you are.

It's part of sports, stop being a baby.

#12 Posted by lamprey263 (35013 posts) -

Wherever the line is drawn, golfers are upity elitist pricks and I hope one day a real life Happy Gilmore comes along to mess up the decorum so those people have to pull out the sticks buried deep into their asses.