Is GS OT part of the 'Manosphere'?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for loco145
#1 Posted by loco145 (11946 posts) -

Deep in the underbelly of the Internet is a hidden corner known as the "Manosphere"— a collection of websites, Facebook pages and chat rooms where men vent their rage and spew anti-women rhetoric.

Protected by the anonymity of the Internet, men feel free to post hateful and violent comments. Posts such as "I really wouldn't mind shooting a [expletive] dead in the face, they are evil, all of them," and "Women are the natural enemies of men" are commonplace on sites like "A Voice for Men," a Manosphere blog run by Paul Elam.

Elam told ABC News' "20/20" that while he may not agree with some of the comments that are made on his site, he believes men are society's victims and need a forum to vent.

"There has been a change in the world, especially in the last 50 years. Women's roles have changed drastically," he told "20/20." "What a lot of us in this area find is that men's roles have not changed very much. Many find now that they have to react."

Elam explained that men leave these comments in the Manosphere to get people to listen.

"It's ... very much designed to get someone like you to sit down and ask me questions," he told 20/20's Elizabeth Vargas. "We are addressing a group of problems that this society ignores."

Elam said institutions like marriage and corrupt family courts have become dangerous for men.

"Marriage has become unsafe ground for men, because we have corrupt family courts that practice bias against men and fathers routinely," he told 20/20. "And men are waking up to this, that they don't get a fair deal."

Source.

Avatar image for Fightingfan
#2 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I always imagined Gamespot as a whole bunch of Reddit rejects who are experts in all areas except women.

Avatar image for thegerg
#3 Edited by thegerg (18329 posts) -

no

Avatar image for ferrari2001
#4 Posted by ferrari2001 (17762 posts) -

Nah, we don't spout anti-women rhetoric. We just acknowledge that their proper place is the kitchen. And touching their shoulder is the best way to get their attention.

Avatar image for Fightingfan
#5 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

Nah, we don't spout anti-women rhetoric. We just acknowledge that their proper place is the kitchen. And touching their shoulder is the best way to get their attention.

I did that in bio class once, chick totally gave my eye contact. Think she wanted the....

Avatar image for Makhaidos
#6 Edited by Makhaidos (2162 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

I always imagined Gamespot as a whole bunch of Reddit rejects who are experts in all areas except women.

.

Avatar image for ferrari2001
#7 Edited by ferrari2001 (17762 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Nah, we don't spout anti-women rhetoric. We just acknowledge that their proper place is the kitchen. And touching their shoulder is the best way to get their attention.

I did that in bio class once, chick totally gave my eye contact. Think she wanted the....

Oh if you touched her should and she gave you eye contact you should have immediately proceeded to the broom closet.

Avatar image for Fightingfan
#8 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Nah, we don't spout anti-women rhetoric. We just acknowledge that their proper place is the kitchen. And touching their shoulder is the best way to get their attention.

I did that in bio class once, chick totally gave my eye contact. Think she wanted the....

Oh if you touched her should and she gave you eye contact you should have immediately proceeded to the broom closet.

Yeah, mane. I wanted to take her home.... to wash my clothes.

Avatar image for ferrari2001
#9 Posted by ferrari2001 (17762 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Nah, we don't spout anti-women rhetoric. We just acknowledge that their proper place is the kitchen. And touching their shoulder is the best way to get their attention.

I did that in bio class once, chick totally gave my eye contact. Think she wanted the....

Oh if you touched her should and she gave you eye contact you should have immediately proceeded to the broom closet.

Yeah, mane. I wanted to take her home.... to wash my clothes.

Smart putting the laundry machine in the kitchen... Where it belongs.

Avatar image for lostrib
#10 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

is that like SRS for men?

Avatar image for sukraj
#11 Posted by sukraj (27390 posts) -

no way man

Avatar image for Barbariser
#12 Edited by Barbariser (6785 posts) -

We certainly have members who are that misogynistic.

Avatar image for loco145
#13 Posted by loco145 (11946 posts) -

@Barbariser said:

We certainly have members who are that misogynistic.

We want names!

Avatar image for michael_1234576
#14 Posted by michael_1234576 (8631 posts) -

nah man OT is like 80% female

Avatar image for Capitan_Kid
#15 Edited by Capitan_Kid (6700 posts) -

OT is a paradise of equality and brotherly love. We don't judge. We don't insult. We don't even fart.

Avatar image for ferrari2001
#16 Edited by ferrari2001 (17762 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

OT is a paradise of equality and brotherly love. We don't judge. We don't insult. We don't even fart.

Hell I don't ever think I've actually seen an argument here. It's usually 20 pages of people agreeing and complimenting each other.

Avatar image for Fightingfan
#17 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@loco145 said:

@Barbariser said:

We certainly have members who are that misogynistic.

We want names!

http://www.gamespot.com/profile/Allicrombie/

Avatar image for dave123321
#18 Posted by dave123321 (35341 posts) -

Some members are. For the most part they are called out for it though.

Avatar image for gamerguru100
#19 Posted by gamerguru100 (12688 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

OT is a paradise of equality and brotherly love. We don't judge. We don't insult. We don't even fart.

This is probably the most bullshit comment on GS, but I love it. And wish it were true.

Avatar image for gamerguru100
#20 Posted by gamerguru100 (12688 posts) -

As for the topic, I've heard of men describing being with a woman nowadays is equivalent to castration, but I doubt that's true. Few things are worse than having your pee wee cut off.

Avatar image for Barbariser
#21 Posted by Barbariser (6785 posts) -

@loco145 said:

@Barbariser said:

We certainly have members who are that misogynistic.

We want names!

I'm pretty sure that discussing forum members in this way is not considered to be good form, even if I personally find them reprehensible.

Avatar image for Makhaidos
#22 Edited by Makhaidos (2162 posts) -

@gamerguru100 said:

As for the topic, I've heard of men describing being with a woman nowadays is equivalent to castration, but I doubt that's true. Few things are worse than having your pee wee cut off.

Really, if you want to be manly, you should have sex with men. It's twice the manliness with half the melodrama.

Avatar image for branketra
#23 Edited by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

Negative

Avatar image for xdude85
#24 Posted by xdude85 (6335 posts) -

I consider GameSpot to be a forgotten wasteland.

Avatar image for GreySeal9
#25 Edited by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

I'd say it's about half and half. Half of the users are well adjusted with normal, healthy attitudes towards women, the other half are manbabies with stupid/ignorant/bitter attitudes towards women.

I don't know if it's just me, but I've noticed more sexists, racists, and people with loony political beliefs in 2013 than the other years I've been here.

Avatar image for gamerguru100
#26 Posted by gamerguru100 (12688 posts) -

@GreySeal9 said:

I'd say it's about half and half. Half of the users are well adjusted with normal, healthy attitudes towards women, the other half are manbabies with stupid/ignorant/bitter attitudes towards women.

I don't know if it's just me, but I've noticed more sexists, racists, and people with loony political beliefs in 2013 than the other years I've been here.

Well, 13 is an unlucky number. :P

Avatar image for gamerguru100
#27 Posted by gamerguru100 (12688 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@gamerguru100 said:

As for the topic, I've heard of men describing being with a woman nowadays is equivalent to castration, but I doubt that's true. Few things are worse than having your pee wee cut off.

Really, if you want to be manly, you should have sex with men. It's twice the manliness with half the melodrama.

I'll pass, but thanks for the advice.

Avatar image for SolidSnake35
#28 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58790 posts) -

Deep in the heart of the manosphere, manly men discuss their manly ambitions to become King of Manopoly.

Avatar image for jun_aka_pekto
#29 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (23014 posts) -

Not to me. I don't have problems with women. I mean I sometimes think they're a piece of meat. But, hate them? Nope.

Grrr. Woof..... Mama.