This topic is locked from further discussion.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Given that all creeds know right and wrong, do we need god anymore?

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

IMO, no....

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

Who am I gonna curse at when something goes wrong in my life??

Avatar image for cynical_buzzard
Cynical_Buzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Cynical_Buzzard
Member since 2013 • 226 Posts

God is not your enemy my friend, do not let society corrupt your mind.

byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

Creeds created by uninspired men who voted on them. I'm looking at you nicene Creed!

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 bob_toeback
Member since 2006 • 11287 Posts

if we were created by a god, then I'd say they are very much needed. In the sense of morality, everyone has a definition, and god isn't going to change that. If anything it quite often leads to rifts, because everyone thinks their right. With that being said, even without god people are still going to come up with their own moral codes. It's all up in the air.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#8 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

@BossPerson said:

Who am I gonna curse at when something goes wrong in my life??

Steve Buscemi.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

@thegerg said:

We don't know whether or not a god exists or what role it might play in what we need. There's simply no way for us to know.

We don't know whether or not unicorns and fairies exist or what role they play in what we need.

You see how that works?

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

considering we create our own realities no. anyways we all are god.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bob_toeback

@junglist101 said:

@thegerg said:

We don't know whether or not a god exists or what role it might play in what we need. There's simply no way for us to know.

We don't know whether or not unicorns and fairies exist or what role they play in what we need.

You see how that works?

It's a tad different. First off, unicorns and fairies are actual physical things, where as god is something on a different plain (supposing it exists)
Also, that is absolutely true that unicorns and fairies may exist, and we have not yet found them.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

we don't need tenaka

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

@bob_toeback said:

@junglist101 said:

@thegerg said:

You see how that works?

It's a tad different. First off, unicorns and fairies are actual physical things, where as god is something on a different plain (supposing it exists)

Also, that is absolutely true that unicorns and fairies may exist, and we have not yet found them.

You're all over the place with that post. It isn't a tad different, it's not different at all.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bob_toeback

@junglist101 said:

@bob_toeback said:

@junglist101 said:

@thegerg said:

You see how that works?

You're all over the place with that post. It isn't a tad different, it's not different at all.

Let me try to explain.

Unicorns and Fairies. By what we know about these things, we can say that if they exist, they are physical beings. We have not seen them, therefor how do we know they exist? Their existence may lead to the discovery of bones for example.

God. By what we know about this, we can say that if it exists, it is something that is watching us from somewhere, which we cannot see. A heaven, or something. How do we know it exists? It's not like there is much physical existence we'd be able to point to (unless someone wants to say our existence is proof, which is kind of silly)

One of them is able to be proven on sight (If I see a unicorn, I'm goddam gonna believe it exists). And the other ones existence cannot really be proven (beyond personal experience, I'd say)

Now, just because we have not seen unicorns or fairies, does not mean they do not exist. If we are talking 'logic' then that view is flawed. The world used to be flat too.

Either way, to know god exists with 100% conviction, is maybe a stretch, as I personally don't see it that way. However, same with knowing with 100% conviction that god (or unicorns for that matter) do not exist. How can we be sure of anything.

People can and will believe what makes sense to them.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@tenaka2 said:

Given that all creeds know right and wrong, do we need god anymore?

That is not really a given.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

@bob_toeback said:

@junglist101 said:

@bob_toeback said:

@junglist101 said:

@thegerg said:

You see how that works?

Let me try to explain.

Unicorns and Fairies. By what we know about these things, we can say that if they exist, they are physical beings. We have not seen them, therefor how do we know they exist? Their existence may lead to the discovery of bones for example.

God. By what we know about this, we can say that if it exists, it is something that is watching us from somewhere, which we cannot see. A heaven, or something. How do we know it exists? It's not like there is much physical existence we'd be able to point to (unless someone wants to say our existence is proof, which is kind of silly)

One of them is able to be proven on sight (If I see a unicorn, I'm goddam gonna believe it exists). And the other ones existence cannot really be proven (beyond personal experience, I'd say)

Now, just because we have not seen unicorns or fairies, does not mean they do not exist. If we are talking 'logic' then that view is flawed. The world used to be flat too.

Either way, to know god exists with 100% conviction, is maybe a stretch, as I personally don't see it that way. However, same with knowing with 100% conviction that god (or unicorns for that matter) do not exist. How can we be sure of anything.

People can and will believe what makes sense to them.

That's a lot of typing to ultimately say nothing.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

I'm doing fine without god, so no, not needed.
It's up to the person I suppose.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

What do you mean is God needed? If you believe in God then you regard him as an almighty and omnipotent being that created the universe for a set of time as a trial for all sapient and sentient beings who will be judged in this universe in an eternal afterlife. If you don't believe in God then you think all of this is non-existing bullshit to begin with.

I'm failing to see the rationale in such a question.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

As God does not simply create all that exists but sustains that creation to say that we are not in need of God presumes a desire to not even exist. Apart from God we would not even be capable of having this conversation. If you presume that a creator God exists then the creation is dependent upon that creator.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#22 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Only if you choose to need him.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

No, if fact, from my experience, the belief in god seems to make alot of people into a holes.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Eh, certainly not needed in my life.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#26  Edited By THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

EHHHH, depends on what your needs are. If you need to believe in Chernobog to think your mushroom garden will flourish, then fine.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Some old dude said that god is dead a hundred and thirty years or so ago