Is depression a legitamite reason to turn to drugs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

halo9424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 halo9424
Member since 2007 • 326 Posts

I truly believe that most anti depressants do not work very well prescribed by doctors

and can lead some people to be mentally unstable, or worsen there condition.

Some people only find enjoyment to go on in life searching for there next "fix".

do you believe people with major depression should turn to drugs to keep them from suicidingly kill themselves or

just live in complete misery?

AGSUser12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 AGSUser12
Member since 2007 • 66 Posts
I personally believe chronic depression, or the chemical imbalance type of depression, is rare. I think depression is way to overprescribed. I mean, if your life is ****, then of course you're going to be depressed all the time. It has nothing to do with a chemical imbalance. But doctors seem to think they can just fix it with pills. If you're depressed, and there's reason, then try and take care of it. Pills won't do any good.
Shadow_Spinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shadow_Spinner
Member since 2004 • 2320 Posts
they really only intensify the depression the way I see it
Avatar image for instantdeath999
instantdeath999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 instantdeath999
Member since 2007 • 3470 Posts
I've never done drugs, so I can't say. But honestly, if it helps your depression, I don't see anything wrong with it. As long as you don't hurt anyone else, and it helps you, then theres nothing wrong with it, in my opinion at least.
blooddemon666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blooddemon666
Member since 2003 • 22587 Posts
there are better ways of dealing with depression than doing drugs.
halfnaked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 halfnaked
Member since 2005 • 1450 Posts
sertraline works, about as addictive as caffeine ( not very addictive)
Fortier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fortier
Member since 2004 • 7728 Posts
No. Anti-depressants are the most moronic concept since rappers started performing with country stars to invent "hick hop". It just shifts your mindstate temporarily to release more endorphins into your brain to make you feel happier. But this doesn't attack the root of why you're depressed in the first place, and is therefore completely worthless.
blooddemon666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blooddemon666
Member since 2003 • 22587 Posts

No. Anti-depressants are the most moronic concept since rappers started performing with country stars to invent "hick hop". It just shifts your mindstate temporarily to release more endorphins into your brain to make you feel happier. But this doesn't attack the root of why you're depressed in the first place, and is therefore completely worthless.Fortier

people are too afraid to actually attack the source of the problem. they think that they're fine, its their brain that's messed up.

Well 99% of your feelings you can control.

RiSkyBiZ-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 RiSkyBiZ-13
Member since 2007 • 1448 Posts
When you're talking about drugs, 'legitamite reason' should not be in the same sentence. Is depression a reason that some people turn to drugs? Of course! Saying it's a legitamite reason makes it sounds like it would be socially accepted due to those circumstances.
Paper_Knife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Paper_Knife
Member since 2006 • 1592 Posts
people who are depressed want to be depressed. its a state of mind that you can fix.
RiSkyBiZ-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RiSkyBiZ-13
[QUOTE="halo9424"]

I truly believe that most anti depressants do not work very well prescribed by doctors

Some people only find enjoyment to go on in life searching for there next "fix".

do you believe people with major depression should turn to drugs to keep them from suicidingly kill themselves or

ironman1714

lol

lmao how'd i miss that?

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Is schizophrenia a weakness of mind? Is that person a loser? Pills very much help those with that disorder and allow many people to function and live prosperous lives. Go figure. :o Have any of you actually known a schizophrenic or a bi-polar person? I once had a friend that was bi-polar and he could go from laughing one minute to sobbing the next with no reason whatsoever, and then back again. It was hard to watch.

I do agree that anti-depressants are over-prescribed though, and I also think that relying on pills alone without therapy is not a solution. I believe the reason people think that A.D.s are a joke and for "losers" think so because it reinforces their idea that they are stronger compared to those that have to take them. On the contrary, people that have to deal with serious mental illness on a constant basis are the truly strong ones.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts
Legitamte but not a great choice....Always. Although some with depression have actually turned their life around with LSD.
RiSkyBiZ-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RiSkyBiZ-13
I missed the point of this thread in my original post, my appologies. I thought the question was drugs such as heroine, cocaine, etc (since that is a common practice among the depressed). Perscription pills is legitimate, if perscribed for someone who really does have a problem. I do, however, think that we are coming up with too many excuses for ourselves these days. It seems like everyone has a problem that's perscription-worthy. Have you heard the latest: "Seasonal Bipolar Disorder." I don't believe it.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wemhim
people who are depressed want to be depressed. its a state of mind that you can fix.Paper_Knife
Nope, I don't want to be horny, I don't want to want food, I don't want to want games, if I could I'd be happy with nothing, but my brain just isn't, that's not true at all, it's not a choice.
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen so much ignorance at one time all in the same thread. :|
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wemhim
No, people just take them for attention, because their losers already.ecamped
Dumbest thing I've ever read. "For attention" you clearly have no understanding of drugs. Most people don't, actually, people don't use LSD to act cool...
RiSkyBiZ-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RiSkyBiZ-13

Legitamte but not a great choice....Always. Although some with depression have actually turned their life around with LSD.wemhim

And my cousin is in an insane assylum because of LSD, don't promote that crap.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wemhim

[QUOTE="wemhim"]Legitamte but not a great choice....Always. Although some with depression have actually turned their life around with LSD.RiSkyBiZ-13

And my cousin is in an insane assylum because of LSD, don't promote that crap.

Some people are affected badly, others are not... I'm not saying he should do it. I'm saying what has happened. Some people might go crazy, some people might feel much better, I'm not biased for or against it.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Is schizophrenia a weakness of mind? Is that person a loser? Pills very much help those with that disorder and allow many people to function and live prosperous lives. Go figure. :o Have any of you actually known a schizophrenic or a bi-polar person? I once had a friend that was bi-polar and he could go from laughing one minute to sobbing the next with no reason whatsoever, and then back again. It was hard to watch.

I do agree that anti-depressants are over-prescribed though, and I also think that relying on pills alone without therapy is not a solution. I believe the reason people think that A.D.s are a joke and for "losers" think so because it reinforces their idea that they are stronger compared to those that have to take them. On the contrary, people that have to deal with serious mental illness on a constant basis are the truly strong ones.

Rekunta

Yep. Simply having any kind of mental illness is looked down upon. The unfortunate downside being that a lot of people who SHOULD seek medical and chemical help refuse to do so because it's humiliating.

And honestly, that's ****ed up. Would you insult a cancer patient for getting chemotherapy?

But as soon as someone starts getting treated for depression, that means that they're "crazy" and "weak".

Weslii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Weslii
Member since 2007 • 2309 Posts
To be honest,
I started doing drugs while I was depressed and things only got worse.
I'm still in my depression and it's much deeper then where I was before I done drugs.
So don't find your help on drugs. Of course you feel very very good while on drugs but when you know the "perfect feeling" everytime you strave to happiness you are searching for that feeling so you won't experience real happinness anymore . It's been a year now and I stopped doing drugs a few months ago. Pretty hard to get back to my old self again.

Never knew I would write this stuff in an off topic forum on a gaming site :P

Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#25 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
I don't think so. They shouldn't be so easily obtainable. It doesn't take much for a prescription.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wemhim
[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

MrGeezer

Yep. Simply having any kind of mental illness is looked down upon. The unfortunate downside being that a lot of people who SHOULD seek medical and chemical help refuse to do so because it's humiliating.

And honestly, that's ****ed up. Would you insult a cancer patient for getting chemotherapy?

But as soon as someone starts getting treated for depression, that means that they're "crazy" and "weak".

It's because people that are happy are too arrogant to step in another's shoes, so they just assume things, without actually know what it is like to have something like that.
-R3Volation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -R3Volation
Member since 2007 • 657 Posts
Depression is an excuses, kids not being able to live the poster boy rockstar life style that they all would like to live, makes them 'depressed'.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wemhim
Depression is an excuses, kids not being able to live the poster boy rockstar life style that they all would like to live, makes them 'depressed'.-R3Volation
That's very untrue, suicide rates are very high among the eldery, AKA older than your parents probably. Please, these statements are ridiculous. I find it funny how depression is now some emo fad exclusive to kids.
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts

Anti-depressants are frikin' awesome, I use to be so suicidal but now the drugs have fixed the chemical imbalance I had, I use 'effexor' and it works great, hell I'm actually not depressed anymore.

Drugs lead to more depression anyway, that would be so stupid. Get a depressed person some good counseling or just someone to talk to and there you go, boom, depression over with...ok it takes a little while but it ****ing works! Also, the anti-depressent's aren't "happy pills" they are for people who don't produce correct amounts of certain chemicals in the brain, I think mine didn't produce enough seratonin..at least...that's what I remember the doctor saying.

Now my chemicals are all balanced out, and I've had EXCELLENT counseling, no drugs for me. Well, at least non-perscription drugs. Lol.... I'm like a living paradox.

Viedric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Viedric
Member since 2003 • 949 Posts
Sure why not. I smoke the green stuff all the time, so I wouldn't care if someone that is depressed pops some pills.
MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#31 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
i wouldnt say it is. imo it is never cool to take substances out of depression. use only to have fun but do not become relient on them.
lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lucas_kelly
Member since 2005 • 5783 Posts
Its a reason but not a ligitimate reason.
iArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 iArab
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts
No, drugs will only make things worse.
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

halo9424

Now what do you think? Some people can have biological reasons for their depression and they just can't help it.

Putzwapputzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 Putzwapputzen
Member since 2005 • 4462 Posts
i agree, anti-depressants dont really work at all :(
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wemhim
Anyways, I wasn't suggesting that you use drugs either. Nobody get a misconception, I was just stating that they're not exclusive to dumb arses. But yes, don't use drugs.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Yup, alcohol is wonderful.
H3llstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 H3llstrike
Member since 2006 • 1877 Posts
I personally believe chronic depression, or the chemical imbalance type of depression, is rare. I think depression is way to overprescribed. I mean, if your life is ****, then of course you're going to be depressed all the time. It has nothing to do with a chemical imbalance. But doctors seem to think they can just fix it with pills. If you're depressed, and there's reason, then try and take care of it. Pills won't do any good.AGSUser12
35 million Americans suffer from major depression, please go tell them it's rare. i suffer from a variety of Mental illness and trust me it's far from rare. Depression is overprescribed mind backing that up with some facts? That's just your uninformed opinion which is okay but it frustrates me to read these statements by somebody who definitely doesn't have a clue what's going on. I believe from experience with Major depression and other mental illness issues and prior drug use when I was younger and being counseled on why we self-medicated. It's the worst thing you can do. Now depression can be brought on by all kinds of things i.e chemical imbalance, stress, a traumatic incident so drug use harm will vary depending on why you suffer Depression. I personally find smoking marijuana eases my Anxiety and helps me sleep and I do not condone illegal drug use. I'm a medical marijuana user and I don't want to give the perception of promoting drug use in any manner unless prescribed by a professional.
H3llstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 H3llstrike
Member since 2006 • 1877 Posts
No. Anti-depressants are the most moronic concept since rappers started performing with country stars to invent "hick hop". It just shifts your mindstate temporarily to release more endorphins into your brain to make you feel happier. But this doesn't attack the root of why you're depressed in the first place, and is therefore completely worthless.Fortier
Not true whatsoever. Anti-depressants are mostly SSRI inhibitors, Serotonin replacements not endorphins where do you guys get this crap. All it's doing is replacing the Serotonin in your brain that should be there but is not. Endorphins are what's released when you work out and that is good for depression. I agree with attacking the root of the problem statement but seeing a therapist and in conjunction with anti-depressants can if done correctly makes a huge difference in many ways. It has been proven in mental health studies, Therapy actually changes you brain waves and just so you know anti-depressants do not temporarily change your brain. It takes up to 2 months for them to work and to wane yourself off hardly temporary but it's not permanent .Also to say Anti-depressants are completely worthless is YOUR opinion not based in reality that millions of Americans and people all over the world have been helped immensely by anti-depressants including myself.
AGSUser12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AGSUser12
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Rekunta"]

wemhim

It's because people that are happy are too arrogant to step in another's shoes, so they just assume things, without actually know what it is like to have something like that.

I love that assumption that we've all been happy and have never experienced depression. And you accuse me of assuming things. Good game.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wemhim
[QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Rekunta"]

AGSUser12

I love that assumption that we've all been happy and have never experienced depression. And you accuse me of assuming things. Good game.

I wasn't talking about you... I was talking about people who say people are crazy and weak for taking meds.
AGSUser12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AGSUser12
[QUOTE="AGSUser12"][QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Rekunta"]

wemhim

I wasn't talking about you... I was talking about people who say people are crazy and weak for taking meds.

>_>
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wemhim
[QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="AGSUser12"][QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Rekunta"]

AGSUser12

>_>

What?
AGSUser12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AGSUser12
[QUOTE="AGSUser12"][QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="AGSUser12"][QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Rekunta"]

wemhim

>_>

What?

My apologies.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wemhim

My apologies.
AGSUser12
Oh. That's fine.
Loonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Loonie
Member since 2003 • 3455 Posts

It seems to me that half the people in this thread think that by 'drugs' you mean crack cocaine.

However I think that anti-depressants are prescribed for a reason, and that is they can have a very real benefit for a depressed person.

I do also think that they can be prescribed unnecessarily, sometimes there are much simpler ways to fix depression, like going out and meeting people or doing some exercise.

Anti-depressants alone wont solve a problem but they can be very helpful to some people who need them.

Fatality4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#47 Fatality4u
Member since 2003 • 3289 Posts
I think a lot of depression is mental and if you can get through your head that you will be fine...you will be.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#48 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
lol if thats how you need to justify it...
goldenpony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 goldenpony
Member since 2007 • 254 Posts
Simply put, NO!