is Cyberpunk really dead?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

theprototype0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 theprototype0
Member since 2009 • 70 Posts

Im a big fan and admirer since ages ago!

but i cant really find anymore games or movies even novels that are related to cyberpunk in any way what so ever, which is a heart break for me :(

if you guys know anything that would revive my hope in cyberpunk, please do!

let me give you a taste of the things that i really enjoyed, perhaps it could give you an idea for suggestions

games: Deus ex series, shadow run, ffvii

movies: blade runner, the matrix, johnny mnemonic

novels: the sprawl trilogy , neal stephenson books

and ofcourse, William Michael's album CYBERPUNK..DUH!

anyways, thanks and have a nice day!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@theprototype0 said:

but i cant really find anymore games or movies even novels that are related to cyberpunk in any way what so ever, which is a heart break for me :(

let me give you a taste of the things that i really enjoyed, perhaps it could give you an idea for suggestions

It's out there, but you have to look pretty hard.

Games: Gemini Rue, Dex, TechnoBabylon, Republique, Jazzpunk, Transistor, Tesla Effect, the latest MGS games, the Flashback reboot, Farcry Bloodnet, Remember Me.

Also, there's Cyberpunk 2077, although we won't hear any more about that game for a long time. Also, Shadowrun got two full campaigns and a director's cut, plus a third campaign is on its way.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Byshop  Moderator

Movies: Ex Machina, The Machine, Automata.

Technically both the Robocop and Total Recall reboots qualify even if they are basically just mainstream action films. Elysium also, as well as Chappie. Vice, The Anomaly, the Dredd reboot, Strange Days, Existenz.

-Byshop

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Hard Reset has a Blade Runner-like setting.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#5 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Artists continue to produce cyberpunk media.

Ghost in the Shell: Arise is current. There is a new Deus Ex in production. Watch Dogs was released in 2014 and Robocop was rebooted that year. Chappie is a 2015 film and Metal Gear Solid V is releasing this year.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Byshop  Moderator

@BranKetra said:

Artists continue to produce cyberpunk media.

Ghost in the Shell: Arise is current. There is a new Deus Ex in production. Watch Dogs was released in 2014 and Robocop was rebooted that year. Chappie is a 2015 film and Metal Gear Solid V is releasing this year.

Now I feel dumb for leaving out the three GitS movies, the 52 episodes of the normal series, the four Arise eps, and the upcomming additional GitS content. I'm so happy they are making more. Best cyberpunk series ever.

-Byshop

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 branketra

@Byshop: Do not worry about it.

Ghost in the Shell is one of my favorite franchises.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Byshop  Moderator

@BranKetra said:

@Byshop: Do not worry about it.

Ghost in the Shell is one of my favorite franchises.

Agreed. I've seen every ep in the series at least twice and the only reason I haven't watched all of Arise is because I'm slowly working my way through it to make it last.

-Byshop

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By branketra

@Byshop: I have as well. Everything except Ghost in the Shell 2.0 has been watched by me. If I understand it, correctly, there is more coming for the Arise series. It is a high quality show. Without meaning to spoil anything, the attention to detail in the artwork of Arise is noteworthy.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Such themes tend to come in waves in popularity, At the moment we're moving from Post Apocolyptic themes being popular within movies and games. Perhaps Cyberpunk will get popular again in some years down the line, or Steampunk.

That said there is E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy and Remember Me ,which I can't see has been mentioned regarding the whole Cyberpunk theme.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Byshop  Moderator

@BranKetra said:

@Byshop: I have as well. Everything except Ghost in the Shell 2.0 has been watched by me. If I understand it, correctly, there is more coming for the Arise series. It is a high quality show. Without meaning to spoil anything, the attention to detail in the artwork of Arise is noteworthy.

Yeah, the "2.0" version of the original movie is just the movie with some jarring CGI edited in (think Star Wars Special Edition version of GitS) and there are two "movies" of the series which are basically season 1 and 2 each edited down into a roughly 2 hour movie version each. There's no real new content in either, so you'd just be watching what you've already scene. Stick with GitS 1, 2, Solid State Society, the two seasons of the show and Arise until the actual new stuff comes out.

-Byshop

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By branketra

@Byshop: Okay, so you have seen it all. I enjoyed the progression of the Laughing Man and Individual Eleven story arcs more in the show than as isolated stories. I might watch 2.0, anyway, because I would like to see the updates.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I mean games wise you have the newest Deux Ex ones.

Novels are a bit trickier. I don't really read cyberpunk anymore, so I don't know if it's still its own category or if it has just been absorbed into techno-thrillers.

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

If you want something hyper realistic, watch Texhnolyze. It's an anime, but it really isn't anime-ish at all. Zero fanservice and stupid slapstick humor.

Be warned though, it's extremely bleak and dark, and comes off as nihilistic to the average viewer. It's not gratuitous though. Has the most thought-provoking story I've encountered yet in any medium.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@Byshop said:

Also, there's Cyberpunk 2077, although we won't hear any more about that game for a long time.

-Byshop

I wouldn't say that, I think we're definitely going to see Cyberpunk 2077 this generation.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Byshop  Moderator

@BattleSpectre said:

I wouldn't say that, I think we're definitely going to see Cyberpunk 2077 this generation.

I didn't mean eons. I mean "a couple years" (i.e. 2017, when CD Project Red specifically said was approximately when they would shift their focus from Witcher 3 to their new IP).

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-dev-not-planning-to-discuss-cyberpunk-20/1100-6427589/

"CD Projekt Red, developer of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, has said it isn't planning to talk about its next game,Cyberpunk 2077, until 2017 at the earliest."

2017 "at the earliest". As much as I want this game, it's going to be a while.

-Byshop

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts

You might want to check out Alfred Bester's novels, and particularly The Stars My Destination. It pre-dates actual cyberpunk by a few decades, but it's wondefully pulpy, cybernetically-enhanced fun.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@Byshop said:
@theprototype0 said:

Also, there's Cyberpunk 2077, although we won't hear any more about that game for a long time.

-Byshop

LOL watch, it doesn't actually come out until 2077. :P

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Byshop  Moderator

@gamerguru100 said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

LOL watch, it doesn't actually come out until 2077. :P

INORITE?

No news until 2017 doesn't even necessarily mean it'll come out in 2017. They will "shift focus" to the game in 2017, so a release could still be another year or two off from that. We all might be "full cyborg" by then, at which point the game will be quaint and nostalgic.

-Byshop