Is anyone else sick and tired of working for corporate America?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3106 Posts

I currently work for an IT company and I make decent money but I'm really unhappy with what I do.

I'm sick and tired of corporate America, I'm tired of the greed and short sightedness, I'm tired of the constant pressure to sell more and more services each year, I despise and roll my eyes at the greedy clueless executives (most of whom are old, fat, balding, terribly dressed, arrogant overpaid white guys), I'm just tired of all the same BS I would encounter even if I went to another company. The problem is that I make decent money but I don't like what I do, I have no confidence in the senior leadership, and again, none of this would change if I got another job doing the same thing (different company, same BS).

I have very little debt, I have enough money saved up to go without a job for 2 years, and I fantasize about quitting on the spot and finding something else to do but the common sense part of my brain prevents me from walking out.

HELP!!!!!

dbzee_cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dbzee_cool
Member since 2003 • 277 Posts

You need a holiday....

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Don't quit. Sit down and figure out what your options are based on your geography, from there choose a path to pursue that you feel you would be happier with, and financially secure enough to do and try to get a job doing that. Don't quit though, it's easier to get a job while you have a job (because that makes sense) than to get one while you are unemployed.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

You might be suprized what working for a company that has good leadership can do. I suggest you try somewhere else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60c6d07310a
deactivated-5b60c6d07310a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b60c6d07310a
Member since 2015 • 357 Posts

I completely hear you on corporate greed. It just seems to be getting more prevalent, especially considering recent events. Makes me remember that I agreed with Occupy Wall Street's core reason for existing, although their methods were absolutely wrong.

I work in IT too, but for the public sector. Workplace politics still exist here (probably more prevalent too), but there's no notion of greed because the higher-ups aren't in it for the money.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#6 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I would say find another job or maybe start your own business.

@dbzee_cool said:

You need a holiday....

and this

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Vote the current regime out and reboot the government.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

I sat down with a friend about a small internet sales business I just officially started. She went on to say that entrepreneurship, is really the only way to get rich. As oppose to working for someone else and making them rich.

I have to agree that in order to get wealthier beyond what a job's salary provides. You have to as TD Jakes said. Have multiple streams of income. Becoming an entrepreneur, and assuming all the risk and rewards that come from running your own business. Really could provide those means. But you need quite the blessing from the Lord. To give you the drive to be passionate about working for yourself, and prosper your business. As there's no one to tell you what to do and the deadlines for said assignments. And there's so much stuff (tax and legal things), that's generally automatically done by an employer, which you have to assume control of. So entrepreneurship is not for everyone. But there are some means out there where you can become less dependent on an employer. To provide you with a livable salary.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Weren't you the one who admitted you're extremely shallow and fake? You fit right in.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

weigh up the pros and cons of getting out. i wouldnt just quit your job but maybe try and find a lower pressure job with a better work/life balance even if it comes with a financial hit.

• are you thinking of trying to get into a different sector of IT or do you just want out? do you like the work you do (setting aside the office politics and such like)?
  • how much of a hair cut can you take to your finances?
  • what kind of lifestyle do you wish? would you be willing to give up holidays, new phones, nice car etc? do you want a family?
  • what kind of future will you be looking at? will you be able to get a mortage and buy a house? will you be stuck renting? how much of a bump in rent could you take before you get into trouble?
  • do you have kids and/or a partner that depends on you?

i used to work in IT too but i burned out (self inflicted wound). luckily the company i work for had another role which is a lot less stressful and it generally stays under the radar of office politics and gamesmanship. i still get to work with nice people which is also a major plus.. but it came with a financial hit (which is fair enough).

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

I can completely relate. I also work in IT and I've been on both sides of the equation: in-house IT and IT Services. I work for one of the big Managed IT Services companies (think offshore outsourcing) and I know how you feel.

I don't have to sell products, but I have to worry about my apps having enough in-flight and pipeline projects or I face the prospect of going to the bench for reassignment to another client. Spend a certain period of time on the bench, and you're terminated. It puts me in a compromised position because when our client asks for project estimates, I feel compelled, out of self-preservation, to overestimate to ensure that my resources (mostly offshore) and fully allocated for as long as possible.

Take a vacation. I've come to the conclusion that I'll likely never love something that I'm required to get up in the morning and do 5 days a week for the rest of my life...it's a job. It sounds like you're similar to me financially, and what keeps me going is the idea that I save so much money in retirement accounts that I'll be able to retire early.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

Well IT is considered one of the most boring and stressful jobs, having a bad day then printer doesn't work HULK SMASH.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Sell everything, and go work at a farm

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

I actually like the company I work for. They treat their employees better than anywhere I've ever worked.

Plus, we're the industry leader in semiconductors, which makes me feel better than everyone else. :)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I don't work for "corporate America" directly, but in a sense we all sort of do since they are the ones that can buy politicians, send in lobbyists, and essentially fight to pass laws that benefit them and not us.

So yes I am sick of it.

As for you specifically @GalvatronType_R, don't quit any job until you have another one lined up. It's still a damn competitive job market out there (I heard IT especially so), so maybe bide your time, pad your resume a bit more, and look for that sweet job.

And take a vacation!

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts

I agree with your sentiment. It would be much better to work for a bureaucratic government agency.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#19 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

It's alright. I'm good at what I do and I'm a good fit for the environment. The only thing that really bugs me is the continual creeping away of compensation/benefits.

"You've done great! Here's a raise. Note, however, that your pension is being removed, the company 401(k) contribution is being reduced, and we're getting rid of the PPO1 plan in lieu of a high deductible plan/HSA combination. Oh, and it looks Congress is looking to remove the tax advantaged status of your healthcare costs in the coming year. Congratulations!"

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

yes working sucks but being homeless would be even worse i think. you just have to tough it out and try to retire early to do a less stressful job were you dont need as much money to get by by down sizing on your lifestyle.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

This is my office.

Perhaps a change of career is in order if your current one dissatisfies you that much?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38676 Posts

corporate cog #3304922591 checking in...

there are pluses and minuses as far as working for a large, soul-sucking corporation. where i work at least there is plenty of opportunity to try different things. i recently got tied of an old assignment and was able to move to a different role pretty easily. those kinds of moves may be difficult in a smaller environment because people are pinched for resources. plus i get to work on some cool stuff that only a handful of companies in the world are doing.

i'm with you on the short shortsightedness though. i think that's a common attribute of most mature publicly traded companies. the pressure to deliver results for the next quarter or two far outweighs long-term objectives. the way the company is structured just breeds that way of thinking and there are very few out there that do a good job resisting it ( amazon is one i can think of that does seem to somewhat )

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

OP right now.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Work for corporate China instead

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts

i don't work. i'm a house dad.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@GalvatronType_R said:

I currently work for an IT company and I make decent money but I'm really unhappy with what I do.

I'm sick and tired of corporate America, I'm tired of the greed and short sightedness, I'm tired of the constant pressure to sell more and more services each year, I despise and roll my eyes at the greedy clueless executives (most of whom are old, fat, balding, terribly dressed, arrogant overpaid white guys), I'm just tired of all the same BS I would encounter even if I went to another company. The problem is that I make decent money but I don't like what I do, I have no confidence in the senior leadership, and again, none of this would change if I got another job doing the same thing (different company, same BS).

I have very little debt, I have enough money saved up to go without a job for 2 years, and I fantasize about quitting on the spot and finding something else to do but the common sense part of my brain prevents me from walking out.

HELP!!!!!

Find a new job.

If you do not love what you do, then go find another job if that is important to you.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts

I can relate to a certain degree. I worked for seven years in a university sponsored lab researching climate change. We ran out of money last year and I moved over to industry to a large company calibrating instruments. On the one hand the salary jump and opportunity for promotions is great. On the other hand, I'm coming close to being at this place for a year and the ugliness of industry is becoming more and more obvious. Managers and those above don't care about anything other than the bottom line and that machines make it out the door. But, they try to give the illusion that they do care by hosting parties and sending out "thank you" emails and such. It's totally bread and circus here and the rest of the employees eat it up (literally, as long as people are fed, they seem to be happily distracted).

I realize now that those seven years were a blissful period of my working life that I'll probably never get to experience again. With my student loans in full repayment mode, I cannot afford to take a huge pay step back. I miss my small lab team and how everyone in the building were working together for a common goal, not just a bottom line or a pay check.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@GalvatronType_R said:

HELP!!!!!

Could you be more specific about exactly what it is at your current job that has you dissatisfied? Greed, cluelessness, etc are great abstract concepts but what is the actual problem? Also, what is it that you do, specifically?

I also work in corporate IT. In my role, there are pros and cons but I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else. But then again, "corporate IT" can mean a lot of different things.

-Byshop

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Take a long vacation overseas somewhere... I hear Australia got really nice vacation spots. That will give you time to think about it, then come back.. Or not.

I'm tired of people at work but my job is just standard, enough for bills.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If you think the pastures abroad are greener, give it a shot. I know a few who actually tried it. They eventually came back here. There are also those who are doing well such as federal workers who have jobs at US bases. One who got a job at Misawa AB Japan, said it was heaven.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

If you have so much money, why don't you start your own thing or do a sabbatical?

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Account created today, first post is a necro, good job lol

Also, relevant

Byshop

Forum Posts