Is A Song of Ice and Fire any good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

I've gotten bored and need a new series to read. I've heard some pretty good things about these books but I wanted to know if they are actually good and if anybody could tell me a little about them. So thanks in advance I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Yes, they're probably the best fantasy series I've ever read.

How to describe A Song of Ice and Fire. Well, lots of war, lots of betrayal, lots of sex, what more do you really want? It's a pretty dark series, the heroes are not who you expect them to be, and the villains make you seethe.

If you don't like complex storylines, you won't like this book. It pretty much has three main story arcs going on at once.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Isn't the HBO series, Game of Thrones based off those series? Maybe check out a few episodes to make judgement. It's obviously, good if it's so popular.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
its an incredible series. arguably up there with lotr in the fantasy genre imo.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

My first thought was Pat Benatar...

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xeogua

Alright then, I guess I'll pick up the first one and if I like it buy the whole set hardback, I used to be an avid reader, but then I got an xbox. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I like it. But let me give you a warning. George R. R. Martin is neither concise nor is he able to wrap things up.

Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts
It's great. Definitely one of my favourite book series.
Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xeogua

Been looking up more stuff and so far I can't wait to pick this up. It seems to be really deep and not as cliche as most fantasy series.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

Isn't the HBO series, Game of Thrones based off those series? Maybe check out a few episodes to make judgement. It's obviously, good if it's so popular.

Blue-Sky
Game of Thrones is named after the first book in the series... I don't know how far into the book series it goes. I do know that book 5 is coming out next month, and it's the first new book in this series in 6 years (the HBO series has people talking about it again, so the timing is perfect). Working in a bookstore, I get that question a lot. >_>
black_tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 black_tempest
Member since 2008 • 2459 Posts
I've only watched the Game of Thrones, but I find it fantastic so I'd imagine the book series is as well
BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts

Some of my friends are in love with the books and/or the series. It's most likely very good, I'll probably read them this year.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

They are quite good, I was very impressed with them. I can't wait until the next one comes out.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Great series, love them. A word of advice, don't get too attached to any of the characters :P
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

MAILER_DAEMON

Game of Thrones is named after the first book in the series... I don't know how far into the book series it goes. I do know that book 5 is coming out next month, and it's the first new book in this series in 6 years (the HBO series has people talking about it again, so the timing is perfect). Working in a bookstore, I get that question a lot. >_>

The series covers the first book. Thoroughly enjoyed the series, but as a fan of the novels it only just does it justice.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

It's great. Definitely one of my favourite book series.Artekus

Same here. I haven't enjoyed a series of books like that since I read Lord of the Rings when I was wee.

pero2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pero2008
Member since 2005 • 2969 Posts

I'll probably start reading the series eventually too.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

[QUOTE="Artekus"]It's great. Definitely one of my favourite book series.Palantas

Same here. I haven't enjoyed a series of books like that since I read Lord of the Rings when I was wee.

Wow, that's quite high praise. I usually think of LoTR as the 'standard' by which I judge other fantasy novels. I'm reading Pillars of the Earth at the moment, and watching Game of Thrones as well. Trying not to mix up the characters in my head when switching between the two :P PotE is not fantasy, but it's medieval, so similar atmosphere in my head, when trying to remember the politics and people involved.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#19 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
Yes, his series and Steven Erikson's series brought me back to the genre. Not your typical David Eddings/Robert Jordan fantasy crap.
L1D3N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 L1D3N
Member since 2009 • 717 Posts

I enjoyed the series just as much as LOTR, the hobbit etc. Deep, rich characters which makes you get drawn deeper into Westeros and the storyline!

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Pillars of the EarthEngrish_Major

That's been recommended to me.

bachilders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 bachilders
Member since 2005 • 1430 Posts

It's a great series, but it's not done yet. I don't know that I could put it quite at the level of Wheel of Time, but it also doesn't take 2 years to read.

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Xeogua

Just looked up Wheel of Time for whoever mentioned that, and I might read those next.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts

Just looked up Wheel of Time for whoever mentioned that, and I might read those next.

Xeogua

I'd be careful with those. The first 5 books? Absolutely excellent.

From then on, it all goes downhill, with the author moving towards half-baked political plotlines, rather then exciting adventure and battle, and repetitively repeating actions of characters such as "Nynaeve pulled on her braid". (seriously. he uses that line 5-10 times each time the character is mentioned or involved). In the end, you read the whole series out of a sense of duty and to justify the 4000 pages you enjoyed in the first 5 books.

Aspen706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Aspen706
Member since 2010 • 4560 Posts
Their amazing dude, I just started reading the series for the first time, and I'm on the second book right now, pure reading gold!
Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lance_Kalzas
Member since 2007 • 2135 Posts

[QUOTE="Xeogua"]

majoras_wrath

From then on, it all goes downhill, with the author moving towards half-baked political plotlines, rather then exciting adventure and battle, and repetitively repeating actions of characters such as "Nynaeve pulled on her braid". (seriously. he uses that line 5-10 times each time the character is mentioned or involved). In the end, you read the whole series out of a sense of duty and to justify the 4000 pages you enjoyed in the first 5 books.

Eversince the new author took over, he's wrapping things up nicely and doing an excellent job of closing the series as well. I recommend reading the two Wheel of Time novels he's written.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"]

[QUOTE="Xeogua"]

Lance_Kalzas

Eversince the new author took over, he's wrapping things up nicely and doing an excellent job of closing the series as well. I recommend reading the two Wheel of Time novels he's written.

I've heard the same thing, but that would require finishing 8-11 :cry:

wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts
Fantastic series. Get it now.
Dan_Lero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 Dan_Lero
Member since 2006 • 7487 Posts
I've been watching Game of Thrones and i have been tempted to read the books too, i'll have to get round to it at some point
Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lance_Kalzas
Member since 2007 • 2135 Posts

[QUOTE="Lance_Kalzas"]

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"] I'd be careful with those. The first 5 books? Absolutely excellent.

majoras_wrath

I've heard the same thing, but that would require finishing 8-11 :cry:

We all must make sacrifices as well as suffer now and then. Books 8 to 11 aren't bad, granted they're not great either although Books 9 and 11 are the best out of those. Books 8 and 10 were the worst in the whole series.

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Xeogua

Picked up A Game of Thrones today, and it has to be one of the most confusing books I've ever read. I can't follow it all that well, but I can't put it down either. It is definately going to be a book I read multiple times to understand unless the different stories start coming together.