This topic is locked from further discussion.

zinder5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 zinder5
Member since 2006 • 43 Posts

An acquaintance wants to sell me their iPhone. I want to try the iPhone. But I was wondering if in the event that I dont like it, do most of the applications (like the calculator and calender) on the iPhone still work even if you no longer have a phone contract? I don't want to end up having an expensive paper weight.

Also, can I use a previously bought iPhone to get a new phone contract or do I have to buy a new iPhone from the store when I sign up for a new phone contract?

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
If you don't have your phone connected to AT&T, you can do everything besides phone calls. Just connect to wi-fi, and you even have all the apps and such.
Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

just because your buying the phone doesn't mean your buying the apps. the first time you sync it with itunes it will get rid of them

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts

just because your buying the phone doesn't mean your buying the apps. the first time you sync it with itunes it will get rid of them

Vinegar_Strokes
wow that is terrible
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
don't buy that one, just get the iphone 4
Avatar image for playstation_wii
playstation_wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 playstation_wii
Member since 2007 • 5271 Posts
Just buy a contract that gets a free phone. Then switch the SIM card out and put it into your iPhone.
Avatar image for playstation_wii
playstation_wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 playstation_wii
Member since 2007 • 5271 Posts
don't buy that one, just get the iphone 4lonewolf604
but then you would have to buy the plan...
Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
Get the Droid incredible instead. AT&T kills the iPhone.
paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
[QUOTE="Vinegar_Strokes"]

Brainkiller05
wow that is terrible

Ok? What do you expect them to do? The purchases are tied to accounts cause if they aren't people would be able to just pirate the purchases much more.
zinder5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 zinder5

Vinegar_Strokes
What will it do when it syncs to itunes, and is it automatic? Wipe out all the apps or clear out everything in the phone? I don't plan on ever using itunes.
zinder5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 zinder5
Just buy a contract that gets a free phone. Then switch the SIM card out and put it into your iPhone.playstation_wii
Do you mean get a non-iPhone contract, then put the new SIM card into my iPhone? Would I need to go to the store and re-activate it for the iPhone or anything?
Avatar image for BeanTownBrown86
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BeanTownBrown86
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts

[QUOTE="playstation_wii"]Just buy a contract that gets a free phone. Then switch the SIM card out and put it into your iPhone.zinder5
Do you mean get a non-iPhone contract, then put the new SIM card into my iPhone? Would I need to go to the store and re-activate it for the iPhone or anything?

you cant do that, you HAVE to set up an iphone to your itunes, once you do that you HAVE to agree to a 2 year contract extension and get a data plan. no getting around it, unless you jailbreak it (i think)

Meat_Wad_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Meat_Wad_Fan
Member since 2002 • 9054 Posts

zinder5

What will it do when it syncs to itunes, and is it automatic? Wipe out all the apps or clear out everything in the phone? I don't plan on ever using itunes.

if you don't ever use itunes then you won't be able to add apps or new music, which makes having an iphone kinda pointless

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

An acquaintance wants to sell me their iPhone. I want to try the iPhone. But I was wondering if in the event that I dont like it, do most of the applications (like the calculator and calender) on the iPhone still work even if you no longer have a phone contract? I don't want to end up having an expensive paper weight.

Also, can I use a previously bought iPhone to get a new phone contract or do I have to buy a new iPhone from the store when I sign up for a new phone contract?

zinder5
yes you can use it on wi fi and everything still works on it besides the phone and yes you can start a new att plan without signing a contract or buying a new phone(dont let the reps try to tell you otherwise) but you will still have to have a voice and data plan
IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

Vinegar_Strokes

You don't actually need to sync it if you're not downloading any new apps.
You can turn off the syncing of only music, and manually add your music.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

zinder5

it'll just wipe the phone and register it to your itunes account. cant download new apps without doing that unless you know the previous owner's password