iPhone unlocked: AT&T loses iPhone exclusivity, August 24, 2007, 12:00PM EDT

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Thanatos465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Thanatos465
Member since 2007 • 436 Posts

It's high noon, Apple and AT&T -- we really hate to break it to you, but the jig is up. Last night the impossible was made possible: right in front of our very eyes we witnessed a full SIM unlock of our iPhone with a small piece of software. It's all over, guys.

The iPhoneSIMfree.com team called us up to prove their claim that they cracked Apple's iPhone SIM lock system, and prove it they did. (No, we don't have a copy of the unlock software, so don't even ask us, ok?) The six-man team has been working non-stop since launch day, and they're officially the first to break Apple's SIM locks on the iPhone. It's done. Seriously. They wouldn't tell us when and how they would release it to the public, but you can certainly bet that they'll try to make a buck on their solution (and rightly so). We can hardly believe the iPhone's finally been cracked. No, scratch that -- we just can't believe it took this long.

Again: we can confirm with 100% certainty that iPhoneSIMfree.com's software solution completely SIM unlocks the iPhone, is restore-resistant, and should make the iPhone fully functional for users outside of the US. Read on for details and links to our video, and check out the gallery of images below.

From Engadget

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts
yay now more people can experience the mediocraty that is the iphone:D
groovdafied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 groovdafied
Member since 2005 • 5012 Posts

For some reason, I'm finding this hard to believe. With Apple being overly portective with their stuff, you'd figure that such a site will be seeing law suits all over the place. Although I'm sure it's bound to to be hacked for other services such as Verizon and Sprint.

Peronally, if this is true, I still wont buy the iPhone, for I think it's a waste. There's total lack of hardware features that I love on my current phone. After 5 minutes of playing with the iPhone, I actually got bored of it.

Ranger_x8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Ranger_x8b
Member since 2002 • 5840 Posts
Interesting... Somewhere out there, you can hear AT&T screaming.
queenfan66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 queenfan66
Member since 2006 • 2737 Posts
awesome!
lugiemojeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lugiemojeed
Member since 2004 • 8785 Posts
cool, but i feel safer with AT&T
Ranger_x8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Ranger_x8b
Member since 2002 • 5840 Posts

For some reason, I'm finding this hard to believe. With Apple being overly portective with their stuff, you'd figure that such a site will be seeing law suits all over the place. Although I'm sure it's bound to to be hacked for other services such as Verizon and Sprint.

Peronally, if this is true, I still wont buy the iPhone, for I think it's a waste. There's total lack of hardware features that I love on my current phone. After 5 minutes of playing with the iPhone, I actually got bored of it.

groovdafied

Why would Apple care if the SIM is unlocked? That means more people can buy the iPhone. AT&T will have a problem with this.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
or, you could buy a cheaper clone.
Thanatos465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Thanatos465
Member since 2007 • 436 Posts

groovdafied
Verizon and sprint dont use GSM, so u cannot use there service, ur stuck with t-moble or Att for GSM service, ya Apple products are craptastic but this is going against them so I approve of this
sabru8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 sabru8
Member since 2003 • 4144 Posts

Interesting... Somewhere out there, you can hear AT&T screaming.Ranger_x8b

yeah that are definitely scrambling with this news coming out.

groovdafied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 groovdafied
Member since 2005 • 5012 Posts
[QUOTE="groovdafied"]

Ranger_x8b

Why would Apple care if the SIM is unlocked? That means more people can buy the iPhone. AT&T will have a problem with this.

Because it gives Apple a reason to sue the hacker for millions of dollars in damages and infringement...

[QUOTE="groovdafied"]

Thanatos465

Verizon and sprint dont use GSM, so u cannot use there service, ur stuck with t-moble or Att for GSM service, ya Apple products are craptastic but this is going against them so I approve of this

Oh well... That's apple's fault for not expanding their phone to other carriers to make even more money, instead they wanted to make this rediculous contract to get royalties, commissions, control and even more money.

frizzyman0292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 frizzyman0292
Member since 2007 • 2855 Posts
So its coming to Verizon Soon?
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts

Interesting... Somewhere out there, you can hear AT&T screaming.Ranger_x8b
i can hear them now :)

i would not get a iphone unless it was like $100, know whats going to happen is apple is going to release a new iphone just like the ipods.

Felix-Legions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Felix-Legions
Member since 2003 • 1194 Posts

or, you could buy a cheaper clone.Hewkii

It will probably be a better investment to get that anyways.