IP viewing my HDD contents?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TheMonthlyDaily
TheMonthlyDaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 TheMonthlyDaily
Member since 2005 • 508 Posts
I just got a notice from my IP that I have copyrighted material on my computer, and can't have my internet back until I remove it. To be honest, I don't know what it is, and they won't tell me. I'm not a big downloader, but I don't want to delete everything I have. Is there any way to block a part of my HDD to keep them from viewing it? Hell, is it even legal for them to scan my HDD for things?
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#2 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts
Pretty interesting. Who's your IP, just incase?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
Wait, how are you posting this if your internet access has been revoked?
Oblivionfan10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 Oblivionfan10
Member since 2008 • 6327 Posts
I don't think so. What is on there you don't want them seeing
majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts
It's most likely that they saw you going on download sites, and reacted based on what you downloaded. That whole thing is a new policy to stop pirates. Good for them, I say.
Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts
Woah. Really? I'd tell them to F.O. and cancel my internets with them instantly.
Oblivionfan10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Oblivionfan10
Member since 2008 • 6327 Posts
It's most likely that they saw you going on download sites, and reacted based on what you downloaded. That whole thing is a new policy to stop pirates. Good for them, I say.majoras_wrath
If this is the case then you have nothing to b nervous about, if you are nervous
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

How did they say that they would verify you did what they asked?

This doesn't sound like the whole story.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

For the record, all arrests made for illegal file sharing were made by tracking uploads or downloads; I don't believe there's any way for an IP to (legally) scan your hard drive for copyrighted files. And, even if they could, how could they know they were there illegally? I have copyrighted files on my hard drive, but that's because I bought MP3 albums from Amazon.

I get the sense that some miscommunication has occurred at some level here.

andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
I got a letter from charter who got a letter from HBO telling me I would have to take entourage off my computer lol. I think it's just to scare you, I took it off my computer just in case. They actually showed me the exact file I had on my computer so I knew it was pretty legit
rh06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 rh06
Member since 2004 • 473 Posts
I've had this happen to me three times. They tell me that I have copywrighted material on my computer and a P2P program. They tell me to delete the file and disable my file sharing program. You just have to call them, they give you a slap on the wrist, and you get your internet turned back on. No big deal... for me anyways. Btw I have Cox Communications.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
Stop using P2P and illegally downloading music and stuff? Really its not that hard to quit...and besides, I like waking up every day not worrying about whether or not I'm going to be sued for $5,000 or whatever it is these days...
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
I just got a notice from my IP that I have copyrighted material on my computer, and can't have my internet back until I remove it. To be honest, I don't know what it is, and they won't tell me. I'm not a big downloader, but I don't want to delete everything I have. Is there any way to block a part of my HDD to keep them from viewing it? Hell, is it even legal for them to scan my HDD for things?TheMonthlyDaily
Solution: Stop illegally downloading copyrighted material.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
I got a letter from charter who got a letter from HBO telling me I would have to take entourage off my computer lol. I think it's just to scare you, I took it off my computer just in case. They actually showed me the exact file I had on my computer so I knew it was pretty legit andyboiii
they are serious. Some think its a joke but if you wouldnt have taken action, it would of been worst. Also, I dont like this whole ISP spying. This is a first ive heard of it.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
what is a guys defense if this was to happen to any of you? Can IPs be easily changed or used by another?
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
Of course IP's can be used by others, your computer can be used by other people to do whatever they wish if it isn't secure. As for a defense? I'm not sure there is one as they go after the people sharing the stuff or who download insane amounts of content per month. Fact of the matter is, thanks to the patriot act and a few other laws passed by congress your ISP can monitor whatever it wants in terms of your internet usage. Thankfully, most don't, but that doesn't mean you can download whatever you want any longer. As I said above...just don't do it. 1 or 2 songs are not worth a $5,000 fine and all of the legal fees associated with it.
BBwlovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BBwlovers
Member since 2008 • 126 Posts
Im sorry but this is so hard to believe, is this with every ISP? or just the big named ones? I need some proof before i start freaking out and craping my pants.