Introducing a 6-year old to metal

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

45413

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45413 Posts

How to do it? If you had a six-year old son or daughter or niece or nephew, how would you do it, metalheads of Gamespot?

I love metal, but a lot of it is vulgar. Some of it might not be vulgar, but it's dark. A lot of it is really intelligent, but morbid. A lot of it is dumb yelling, but that doesn't really set a good standard.

Is there a happy medium of somewhat intelligent, serious-but-not-too-serious, non-swearing metal out there? The kid has good taste already, listening to Tool and Portishead and Jack White already. I think they'd gravitate to metal very well and I'd like to share it with them.

So, what are some good metal bands for the "youth"?

Avatar image for horgen
Horgen

122050

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 122050 Posts

Dimmu Borgir is a good place to start. /s

Why not try out some classic bands? Iron Maiden, Metallica?

I like Trivium... Or well used to at least. I haven't heard a song from them in ages. =/ Yes I know it is only a few clicks away on spotify or youtube...

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

45413

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45413 Posts

@horgen said:

Dimmu Borgir is a good place to start. /s

Why not try out some classic bands? Iron Maiden, Metallica?

I like Trivium... Or well used to at least. I haven't heard a song from them in ages. =/ Yes I know it is only a few clicks away on spotify or youtube...

THat's a good suggestion. I started listening to Metallica before I was 10; they also incredibly talented musicians and great song writers.

I'll have to check out Trivium too.

Avatar image for horgen
Horgen

122050

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4 Horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 122050 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@horgen said:

Dimmu Borgir is a good place to start. /s

Why not try out some classic bands? Iron Maiden, Metallica?

I like Trivium... Or well used to at least. I haven't heard a song from them in ages. =/ Yes I know it is only a few clicks away on spotify or youtube...

THat's a good suggestion. I started listening to Metallica before I was 10; they also incredibly talented musicians and great song writers.

I'll have to check out Trivium too.

Trivium is trash metal. Not a lot of swearing if I remember correctly.

And you agreed that Dimmu Borgir is a good suggestion, right? RIGHT? :P

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

45413

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45413 Posts

@horgen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@horgen said:

Dimmu Borgir is a good place to start. /s

Why not try out some classic bands? Iron Maiden, Metallica?

I like Trivium... Or well used to at least. I haven't heard a song from them in ages. =/ Yes I know it is only a few clicks away on spotify or youtube...

THat's a good suggestion. I started listening to Metallica before I was 10; they also incredibly talented musicians and great song writers.

I'll have to check out Trivium too.

Trivium is trash metal. Not a lot of swearing if I remember correctly.

And you agreed that Dimmu Borgir is a good suggestion, right? RIGHT? :P

Absolutely. Might throw some Gorgoroth and Cannibal Corpse in there too for balance.

Avatar image for horgen
Horgen

122050

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 122050 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Absolutely. Might throw some Gorgoroth and Cannibal Corpse in there too for balance.

Awesome!

Avatar image for heathen75
HEATHEN75

985

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 985 Posts

Little Heathen grew up on a steady diet of AC/DC and Black Sabbath. I consider them my gateway to Metal.

Avatar image for horgen
Horgen

122050

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8 Horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 122050 Posts

@heathen75 said:

Little Heathen grew up on a steady diet of AC/DC and Black Sabbath. I consider them my gateway to Metal.

Would you say it led you to a highway to hell?

Avatar image for heathen75
HEATHEN75

985

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#9 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 985 Posts

@horgen:

Avatar image for iwilson1296
iwilson1296

2502

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By iwilson1296
Member since 2005 • 2502 Posts

Megadeth - rust in peace

Avatar image for jeezers
jeezers

3940

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#11 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 3940 Posts
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Avatar image for DEVILinIRON
DEVILinIRON

5354

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#12 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts

Faith No More

Avatar image for heathen75
HEATHEN75

985

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#13 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 985 Posts

@jeezers: S.O.D. and Gwar would be a little too much for a 6 year old. I remember one Gwar song where they mention performing anal sex with a frozen turd.

On a side note, have you ever checked out Gwar's catalog of cover songs? They do some Kansas, Pet shop Boys and Cyndi Lauper that I saw. I'm sure there is more as well.

Avatar image for npiet1
npiet1

2951

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#14 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 2951 Posts

My nephews and nieces all listened to metal from the get go, my brother is a huge metal head.