In your experience, what's the most frequent reason you see people join the military for?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mostly_Normal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll In your experience, what's the most frequent reason you see people join the military for? (22 votes)

Financial reasons 50%
They didn't know what else to do. 27%
They wanted to protect their country. 5%
They wanted to follow in a family member's/friend's footsteps. 9%
They like action and want to fight. 5%
Other 5%

I know there's been some surveys done on this before, but I just want to know your own experiences with this sort of thing.

• 
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#1 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I guess there's certain benefits? Like paying for school and stuff... I really don't know. I guess that would fall under financial reasons.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

If you go into a technical field, you'll come back to the civilian world with an impressive resume and a foot-in to a lot of high paying jobs.

That's why I joined.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@plageus900: that's the main reason I've noticed too, it's not in the poll.

A friend of mine has joined the military and has already attained his class 1 HGV licence and dangerous chemicals (ADR) licence.

So when he leaves he's in a good position for a high paying job.

This is just one example, I guess it would come under financial reasons, however there's more too it than that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

The majority of people I've come across who went into the armed forces... I'd say they did so because their family members have, and it's sort of a tradition thing that they already hold and view as being an important part of who they are.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

GI Bill for education.

I didn't vote because this is likely why most join and you didn't have that option. It's why I went in.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

financial reasons

which makes sense, I mean, it is a job. It has some nice perks if you're young and broke, too.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

financial reasons

which makes sense, I mean, it is a job. It has some nice perks if you're young and broke, too.

It's not just a job -- it is security. The military can't just fire you, you sign a contract for 4 or 6 years (for enlisted that is). The military can just let you go if you're an officer (kinda)

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Financial is a leading reason, it seems.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@dexintgames said:

i would love to join the army to get my us citizen if it was possible....

You would be allowed to expedite your US citizenship in the military. It gets even easier if you get your supervisor and commanding officer involved in the process. I remember helping out one sharp troop get his citizenship.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Financial. You have a job. Money for education. No worries over medical care.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

Many join to qualify for the GI Bill. Others join to get into a career field they like. Still others join so they can go places.

Some people also don't know what to do with their lives. So, they join to get out of the status quo. Some like it. Some don't. But, at least they get a taste of what it's like to not leech off their parents anymore and having some responsibilities.

In most instances, kids are forced to grow up when they join.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

We're on the verge of a major conflict with North Korea not to mention the other conflicts we've been involved with over the past 15 years. North Korea is no push over like Iraq. General Matis said if we go to war with them it would be the bloodiest conflict in a generation. You sure you want to join the military? just wait to be drafted.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

@thegerg said:

I joined to pay for school. From my experience, that's why good number go in. Because it's a job, and a pretty easy one on top of that.

I joined academy because I wanted to be a soldier and defend my country. I guess it's different when you're 12.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60c6d07310a
deactivated-5b60c6d07310a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5b60c6d07310a
Member since 2015 • 357 Posts

@Ovirew said:

The majority of people I've come across who went into the armed forces... I'd say they did so because their family members have, and it's sort of a tradition thing that they already hold and view as being an important part of who they are.

From my personal experience, this is what I've seen the most. I once had a boss with two sons that both went into the military.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@dexintgames said:

@jun_aka_pekto: Correct me if I am wrong. I am on a F1 Student Visa. I tried applying to the army and was rejected. They said the only way I can enlist is through the Mavni program. Are there another way? I've been living in American for 10 years.

I never dealt with someone with an F1 Student Visa. Perhaps, you should inquire to see if you can change your F1 Visa status to a permanent resident/resident alien, especially if you've been living in the US for 10 years.

If I was in your place, I would have inquired about it long ago.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

The people I know who joined never had a lot going on in their lives.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

The few people that I've known that joined the military didn't really have anything going for them in their lives. Almost all were just high school educated/drop-out, and they didn't want to work crap jobs the rest of their lives.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Depends on whether you're talking about someone from Arkansas or New York, enlisted or commissioned or fighter pilots or grunts. Most people I've encountered in my 7 years military service have varying reason why they join and often times different reasons why they stay or leave. But as far as American military is concerned I think the most common (I wouldn't say it's a majority) reason for joining is being part of something greater than themselves.

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts

Most of the people I knew who went into the military went in for financial reasons. Right when my friends and I were 18-20 the economy was collapsing. Living in the south didn't help anything, so everyone was already poor. Most of them have done really well for themselves when they otherwise wouldn't have had much of an opportunity to improve their lives.

I knew only one person who went in just to kill people. It was 2003 and he was a friend of a friend. I overheard him talking about how much he wanted to assault, kill, and burn everything in the middle east. To this day it still disturbs me the way he talked about it. He was there about 2 months before being shot and killed because he disobeyed commands. :S Not shocked considering this was the same dude who bragged about hurting/beating women regularly ...can't say I am torn up about his death.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Pretty much financial reasons. To pay for school and such. Or an opportunity to get out the hole they seem stuck in after high school.

Majority of them who joined from my HS, already left the service at this point.