In America, can you marry two people?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by thattotally (3842 posts) -

Can you get married to more than one person? Is this where the issue of Polygamy comes from?

In the States, I believe getting married means you get tax benefits or something from the government? How is a marriage recognized and can there be more than one? This is purely from the financial perspective and how it affects income and the place where you live.

#2 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Not legally no. :?

#3 Posted by LJS9502_basic (162444 posts) -
No, it's illegal.
#4 Posted by X360PS3AMD05 (36303 posts) -
What about 2 animals?
#5 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

What about 2 animals?X360PS3AMD05
I think they're legalizing that in Kali but not yet.

#6 Posted by k16campbell (660 posts) -

It depends if one finds out about the other. Then you would have a problem!

#7 Posted by Diametraphine (1148 posts) -

Yep.

My right hand.

And my left hand.

#8 Posted by mhh91 (446 posts) -
It might be illegal in the US,but it's perfectly fine (and legal) where I live
#9 Posted by thattotally (3842 posts) -

You can't get the tax benefits or you can't perform the action?

#10 Posted by Talldude80 (6321 posts) -

1 wife would be too many if u ask me. 2 would just be 2 times as much complaining. wives are expensive, so if the rich people want 2 why not let them?

edit:

and NO you can not be married to 2(or more) people at the same time legally. The US government requires you to be single before you can be married to another single person.

#11 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

You can't get the tax benefits or you can't perform the action?

thattotally

Of course not......

#12 Posted by mrbojangles25 (39763 posts) -

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]What about 2 animals?Pirate700

no, not yet. My neighbor has been married to her dog for like five years, but they have an "open" relationship andtheyve been trying to bring another partner into their marriage (this time a kitty) and The Man just keeps 'em down. A damn shame, really

#13 Posted by 3KindgomsRandy (15488 posts) -

1 wife would be too many if u ask me. 2 would just be 2 times as much complaining. wives are expensive, so if the rich people want 2 why not let them?

edit:

and NO you can not be married to 2(or more) people at the same time legally. The US government requires you to be single before you can be married to another single person.

Talldude80

Seems like the govt tends to look the other way though, as long as you aren't involving minors or applying for undo benefits.

#14 Posted by FUBAR24 (12185 posts) -
you can marry as many people you want... ...just not at the same time
#15 Posted by needled24-7 (15902 posts) -

okay, you guys are saying it is illegal to be married to more than 1 person. can you do it illegally? are there people that can get people married, even if they already are (they'd have to do it illegally, of course)? like, can you be married to more than 1 person until some authorities find out, then you get in trouble?

#16 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

okay, you guys are saying it is illegal to be married to more than 1 person. can you do it illegally? are there people that can get people married, even if they already are (they'd have to do it illegally, of course)? like, can you be married to more than 1 person until some authorities find out, then you get in trouble?

needled24-7

Marriage is only recognized legally so no you can't do it illegally unless it doesn't get noticed that you are already married which does happen.

#17 Posted by LJS9502_basic (162444 posts) -

[QUOTE="needled24-7"]

Pirate700

Marriage is only recognized legally so no you can't do it illegally unless it doesn't get noticed that you are already married which does happen.

However, it would not be a legal marriage.
#18 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="needled24-7"]

LJS9502_basic

Well if it doesn't get noticed it is and it isn't legal. It's official but technically not legal. :P

#19 Posted by LJS9502_basic (162444 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Marriage is only recognized legally so no you can't do it illegally unless it doesn't get noticed that you are already married which does happen.

Pirate700

Well if it doesn't get noticed it is and it isn't legal. It's official but technically not legal. :P

It's actually considered a crime.
#20 Posted by needled24-7 (15902 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]What about 2 animals?mrbojangles25

no, not yet. My neighbor has been married to her dog for like five years, but they have an "open" relationship andtheyve been trying to bring another partner into their marriage (this time a kitty) and The Man just keeps 'em down. A damn shame, really

she sounds weird, is she?

#21 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] However, it would not be a legal marriage.LJS9502_basic

I know it is. I'm just saying if it didn't get caught it would still be considered legitimate in the mean time.

#22 Posted by LJS9502_basic (162444 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Well if it doesn't get noticed it is and it isn't legal. It's official but technically not legal. :P

Pirate700

I know it is. I'm just saying if it didn't get caught it would still be considered legitimate in the mean time.

Well I understand what you are saying......but it would never technically be a legitimate marriage.
#23 Posted by jeremiah06 (7215 posts) -
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Well if it doesn't get noticed it is and it isn't legal. It's official but technically not legal. :P

Thats the way law is technically everything is considered good until proven bad.
#24 Posted by thattotally (3842 posts) -

Now that we've answered the what, it's time to answer the why. How come you aren't allowed to marry more than one person at the same time? Would it cripple the US's economy?

#25 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Now that we've answered the what, it's time to answer the why. How come you aren't allowed to marry more than one person at the same time? Would it cripple the US's economy?

thattotally

Because it wrong in our society. :|

#26 Posted by Anti-Venom (5646 posts) -
Id marry 3 chicks at the most...4 and above is too much
#27 Posted by dontshackzmii (6026 posts) -

many churchs in america try to do it anyways like in islam . but the goverment only likes it one way .

#28 Posted by grape_of_wrath (3756 posts) -

thattotally
What? :? most western countries prohibit polygamy...
#29 Posted by toast_burner (24787 posts) -
[QUOTE="thattotally"]

grape_of_wrath

But why? :P
#30 Posted by weezyfb (14703 posts) -
marrige can be recognized culturally and religiously etc.
#31 Posted by iowastate (7922 posts) -

just about anything goes in some parts of California but that is only because the local law enforcement closes their eyes. and you can only get married a second time if you are divorced from your first wife. Polygamy was never legal in this nation at the federal level and only in Utah before they became a state I believe. Freedom of religion does not extend that far, Cassius Clay found that out before he changed his name to Muhammad Ali and pretended that fighting was against his religion.
#32 Posted by xXDrPainXx (4001 posts) -
[QUOTE="grape_of_wrath"][QUOTE="thattotally"]

toast_burner

Think about all the people a guy could claim on his taxes with 3 wives and like 10 kids. Polygamy used to be legal at one time but The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints renounced polygamy in 1890 to allow Utah to become a state. There are still fundamentalist Mormons out that practice polygamy to day.
#33 Posted by coylenintendo (13713 posts) -

why would you even want to..?

#34 Posted by Xx_Hopeless_xX (16562 posts) -

No you can't legally marry two people as far as i know..

#35 Posted by Talldude80 (6321 posts) -

you can't marry two people in America because its against the law. and the law was set up because the country was founded on Christian beliefs. and Christians (usually) believe 1 man 1 woman. Not 1 man and 3 women, or a man and a man etc etc.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but thats just probably WHY the law was made in the first place....

#36 Posted by Theokhoth (36799 posts) -

Well, that's cool. As long as they don't let gays marry; got to protect the sanctity of marriage.
#37 Posted by LJS9502_basic (162444 posts) -

you can't marry two people in America because its against the law. and the law was set up because the country was founded on Christian beliefs. and Christians (usually) believe 1 man 1 woman. Not 1 man and 3 women, or a man and a man etc etc.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but thats just probably WHY the law was made in the first place....

Talldude80
Very few countries allow for more than one marriage partner.:|
#38 Posted by poptart (7113 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]What about 2 animals?mrbojangles25

I guess that would make your neighbour a kitty fiddler. Or a Petophile.

#39 Posted by MoonMarvel (8249 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Talldude80"]

Not only that, only the UK will recognize it on any level in the europe. Its illegal in pretty much all western nations and even some eastern ones. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_polygamy
#40 Posted by II_Seraphim_II (20535 posts) -
No but that doesnt mean I wont try :twisted:
#41 Posted by hiphopballer (4059 posts) -

What about 2 animals?X360PS3AMD05

animals
?!?!?!

WTF?

#42 Posted by scorch-62 (29763 posts) -
Polygamy is illegal. No.
#43 Posted by iowastate (7922 posts) -
[QUOTE="xXDrPainXx"][QUOTE="toast_burner"][QUOTE="grape_of_wrath"] What? :? most western countries prohibit polygamy...

Think about all the people a guy could claim on his taxes with 3 wives and like 10 kids. Polygamy used to be legal at one time but The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints renounced polygamy in 1890 to allow Utah to become a state. There are still fundamentalist Mormons out that practice polygamy to day.

fewer of them all the time though. arrests for polygamy and child abuse, especially after forcing marriages on underage girls has reduced their ranks in the latter parts of the 20th century and 21st century. for a long time Utah was willing to let them be so long as they did not bother anyone else but report of how they treated the children began surface and some of the more famous have revealed many of the polygamist communities to be cultlike. I believe their time is limited.
#44 Posted by JustBeingFrank (735 posts) -
Legally it is not possible, we have laws to prevent it.
#45 Posted by legend26 (16010 posts) -

In United States, you marry two people...

In Soviet Russia 2 PEOPLE MARRY U!

#46 Posted by one_plum (6506 posts) -

[QUOTE="Talldude80"]

LJS9502_basic

Wikipedia's polygamy page gives me a list of many countries where polygamy is recognized under civil law.

#47 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24606 posts) -
It is a crime to use that hideous font.
#48 Posted by MoonMarvel (8249 posts) -
[QUOTE="one_plum"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Talldude80"]

Wikipedia's polygamy page gives me a list of many countries where polygamy is recognized under civil law.

Mostly in africa and the middle east. In the western hemi and europe no.
#49 Posted by Candy-Star (4378 posts) -

edit:

Talldude80
Generalizing FTL.