In 2012, every South Korean home will have a 1 Gbps internet connection

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/technology/22iht-broadband22.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

It's fairly pathetic what private "competition" has given U.S. citizens.

The "the U.S. is a big country" argument doesn't really work when you're talking about 200 times the average speed here.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts
The one problem with a free market is that the businesses are free to gouge your wallet without government oversight.
superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 superfluidity

The one problem with a free market is that the businesses are free to gouge your wallet without government oversight.Netherscourge

I'm not putting down free markets so much as I'm observing that the broadband market is actually very closed to competition here. We have a handful of giant, entrenched players, and that's it.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#4 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
"Setting the standard," huh?
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
South Korea earned my respect along time ago.
howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

I don't know how that would work in the US. With a 1Gb/sec download speed you could download 6GB of data in 1 minute. We're already having ISP's throttle people's bandwidth usage.

And yes "the US is a big country" DOES come into play. We have 5 times the population and our country is massive compared to their's. The cost to implement and maintain such infrastructure needed for those speeds would be staggering compared to South Korea.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
"South Korean homes now have greater Internet access than we do," President Obama said in his State of the Union address last month. Last week, Mr. Obama unveiled an $18.7 billion broadband spending program. Um... not sure if serious
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

What can I tell you, the free market is a joke.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Good for them?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Wow... and Canadian ISP's want to meter our internet to 25GB/month + $2/GB over limit. I'm becoming highly unattached to this country now, and can't wait to move somewhere else.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I'm jealous.
howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 howlrunner13

Wow... and Canadian ISP's want to meter our internet to 25GB/month + $2/GB over limit. I'm becoming highly unattached to this country now, and can't wait to move somewhere else.

foxhound_fox

:lol:

With a 1Gb/sec speed you could hit that cap in 4 minutes of continuous downloading.

With-Hatred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 With-Hatred
Member since 2009 • 926 Posts

The one problem with a free market is that the businesses are free to gouge your wallet without government oversight.Netherscourge
They also don't have to inprove things when the have the ability to, our connection speeds could be about 50x faster than now, but it costs money.....companies don't care

EntropyWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EntropyWins
Member since 2010 • 1209 Posts

I don't know how that would work in the US. With a 1Gb/sec download speed you could download 6GB of data in 1 minute. We're already having ISP's throttle people's bandwidth usage.

And yes "the US is a big country" DOES come into play. We have 5 times the population and our country is massive compared to their's. The cost to implement and maintain such infrastructure needed for those speeds would be staggering compared to South Korea.

howlrunner13

We also have a staggeringly large number of people compared to south korea. We just prefer to give the money to rich people and to blowing stuff up.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

I'm jealous.Lonelynight

Sums up OT overal respose well.

EDIT: Yes, I am in the jealous crowd too. Its 1000 times faster then my internet (literally, 1mbps)

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

The big country argument does work in this case. The bottom line is you have 50 states and over 3000 miles of country side from the east coast to the west coast and you really want to say that does not play a role? Do you know how much it coast to run fiber? Then take into consideration of the population. There are tons of reasons why we don't have a 1Gb internet speed here. It's really common sense.

howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 howlrunner13

[QUOTE="howlrunner13"]

EntropyWins

We also have a staggeringly large number of people compared to south korea. We just prefer to give the money to rich people and to blowing stuff up.

Yeah, I mentioned we have 5 times the population. :P

I'm not saying we couldn't improve our service or that we waste alot of money. I was just responding to the part of the original post that said the US is a big country argument doesn't come into play.

But if you were agreeing with me then nevermind. :P

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Sums up SW overal respose well.dercoo
System wars?
EntropyWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EntropyWins
Member since 2010 • 1209 Posts

[QUOTE="EntropyWins"]

[QUOTE="howlrunner13"]

howlrunner13

Yeah, I mentioned we have 5 times the population. :P

I'm not saying we couldn't improve our service or that we waste alot of money. I was just responding to the part of the original post that said the US is a big country argument doesn't come into play.

Reading my post over, I'm not sure if I made my point well, the size of the US should theoretically balance out compared to the amount of people paying taxes we have. Granted, in a lot of the more country areas, it may not be the case, but I think the point still stands that the free market has not done anything for the US internet besides restrict it with companies trying to limit bandwidth.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
That's disgusting /jealous. Vacation to South Korea just to see 1gb/s. Good thing my computer's only got a 100mb connection x.x. Also, an issue, what about harddrive write speeds? Unless you have a huge raid of hdd's or sdds, you can't write at 1gb/s... Guess it could be stored in memory for a little while.

[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]The one problem with a free market is that the businesses are free to gouge your wallet without government oversight.superfluidity

I'm not putting down free markets so much as I'm observing that the broadband market is actually very closed to competition here. We have a handful of giant, entrenched players, and that's it.

Really hate our 'competition' filthy oligopolies. And being so damn big with so much dead space between populated areas really doesn't help, however a difference like that is just madness.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Also, an issue, what about harddrive write speeds? Unless you have a huge raid of hdd's or sdds, you can't write at 1gb/s... Guess it could be stored in memory for a little while.Inconsistancy
Future-proofing. With the speed at which technology advances, it only makes sense to bring unaccessible bandwidths to everyone now then have to do it later (at possibly higher costs) when technology gets to the point where 1GB/s isn't enough to satisfy the general user.
Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts

It's only so they can crush the rest of us at Starcraft and Counterstrike even faster.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Younger countries and cities will obviously have a better infrastructure in many ways, although it is partially the fault of the government, gain comfort in that we don't have it any better in the UK
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Inconsistancy

It's only so they can crush the rest of us at Starcraft and Counterstrike even faster.

Enid_Green
O.o, what would your apm need to be to consume 1gb/s, or even 1% of it? 1021394923904832apm lol too much spam.
superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 superfluidity

What I think will be interesting is if soon we start seeing unique high-bandwidth services develop in some countries that people in the U.S. are completely unable to enjoy.

We could see a situation where ultra-HD video conferencing and telecommuting become the norm in other places while the U.S. is left using archaic technologies.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

[QUOTE="dercoo"]Sums up SW overal respose well.Lonelynight
System wars?

Now Fixed

Well they would be jealous too.

Jealousy is SW nature:P

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts
can what we have even be considered "broadband" anymore compared to that?
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
In a true 'free' market, that company would lose out to competitors that provide services that dont gouge your wallet.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Inconsistancy
can what we have even be considered "broadband" anymore compared to that? comp_atkins
Back to calling it 56k imo.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
Wow mine's barely 2.3 MBps.
berserker2389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 berserker2389
Member since 2010 • 4627 Posts
*moves to south korea*
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
That's insane. Do want.
gatorteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gatorteen
Member since 2005 • 2760 Posts

What I think will be interesting is if soon we start seeing unique high-bandwidth services develop in some countries that people in the U.S. are completely unable to enjoy.

We could see a situation where ultra-HD video conferencing and telecommuting become the norm in other places while the U.S. is left using archaic technologies.

superfluidity

What do you suggest we do?

xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts
haha they have any sort of caps, lol stupid Comcast with 250GB limit.....
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 comp_atkins

The big country argument does work in this case. The bottom line is you have 50 states and over 3000 miles of country side from the east coast to the west coast and you really want to say that does not play a role? Do you know how much it coast to run fiber? Then take into consideration of the population. There are tons of reasons why we don't have a 1Gb internet speed here. It's really common sense.

xscrapzx
do you know how much it cost to run concrete and asphalt? it was done.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]The one problem with a free market is that the businesses are free to gouge your wallet without government oversight.superfluidity

yeah, in my town we only have one provider, and it shows. They dont care, period: my friend lives half a mile outside city limits and hasnt had internet for thre years now because it isnt offered. If there were at least two companies, they'd be fighting to extend service out there.

outages are frequent, price hikes occur monthly and for no good reason.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 superfluidity

What do you suggest we do?

gatorteen

I would imagine invest in our infrastructure more and bust the ISP cartel we currently have.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="xscrapzx"]

comp_atkins

it was done for the military, first of all, so there wasnt much motivation needed.

second, running roads betweens cities and buildings is one thing, running a cable into each and every house and then under or overthe roads to the provider is quite another

third, considering how long it takes CalTrans to add a third lane on a highway, I am hesitant to even let the government bother putting up internet lines lol.

British_Azimio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 British_Azimio
Member since 2007 • 2459 Posts
If only Best Korea could have the same luxury.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]The one problem with a free market is that the businesses are free to gouge your wallet without government oversight.sonicare
In a true 'free' market, that company would lose out to competitors that provide services that dont gouge your wallet.

Or they can all just gouge you, spend extremely little on improving their services and still make a huge profit. You know. Like they do. It costs money to get into a business and even more to improve your service so that it's much better than the rest of the markets. Even then people are dumb and don't always go for the better service because something is unfamiliar. But goddamn 1gbps. That's amazing
superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 superfluidity

third, considering how long it takes CalTrans to add a third lane on a highway, I am hesitant to even let the government bother putting up internet lines lol.

mrbojangles25

I live in California as well. It took almost a year and a half for a freeway entrance to be built near where I live (as in from project beginning to end). We also recently had a street light put in on a local road, 4 months passed between the day they removed the stop sign and the day the light turned on.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

superfluidity

I live in California as well. It took almost a year and a half for a freeway entrance to be built near where I live (as in from project beginning to end). We also recently had a street light put in on a local road, 4 months passed between the day they removed the stop sign and the day the light turned on.

are you from the bay area by chance? is the new bay bridge done yet?

I Havent driven to San Francisco for years, but I remember that project starting like 7+ years agoo irrc.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 superfluidity

are you from the bay area by chance? is the new bay bridge done yet?

I Havent driven to San Francisco for years, but I remember that project starting like 7+ years agoo irrc.

mrbojangles25

I live Northeast of Sacramento in a newer development, so I've gotten to see a lot of snail paced projects here.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
That's disgusting /jealous. Vacation to South Korea just to see 1gb/s. Good thing my computer's only got a 100mb connection x.x. Also, an issue, what about harddrive write speeds? Unless you have a huge raid of hdd's or sdds, you can't write at 1gb/s... Guess it could be stored in memory for a little while.Inconsistancy
There's nothing saying that 1gb would be going to one device also 1gb is a good standard to future proof to. The more imediate impact of this is that businesses will no longer need to setup dedicated leased ethernet lines for high speed connections.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
How else are they going to dominate the world of Starcraft 2?
Atmanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Atmanix
Member since 2009 • 6927 Posts

How else are they going to dominate the world of Starcraft 2?sSubZerOo

I'm fairly sure most Koreans could still dominate me in SC2 using dial-up.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="Netherscourge"]The one problem with a free market is that the businesses are free to gouge your wallet without government oversight.Ace6301

Or they can all just gouge you, spend extremely little on improving their services and still make a huge profit. You know. Like they do. It costs money to get into a business and even more to improve your service so that it's much better than the rest of the markets. Even then people are dumb and don't always go for the better service because something is unfamiliar. But goddamn 1gbps. That's amazing

Generally in markets where there is competition there is also innovation and improvement. People are dumb, but they figure stuff out eventually. And there's always the people who will jump on the train upon arrival.

Anyway, I'd kill for a giga-bit/second.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 comp_atkins

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="xscrapzx"]

mrbojangles25

it was done for the military, first of all, so there wasnt much motivation needed.

second, running roads betweens cities and buildings is one thing, running a cable into each and every house and then under or overthe roads to the provider is quite another

rails were laid across this country, roads were laid across this country, electricity was wired to every home in this country, phone lines were attached to every home across this country.. of course it comes with expense but also has tremendous economic benefit
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Strange, I dont seem to care.

All I use the internet for is internet, daily Lp's on youtube (let plays), every other day video uploads, gamespot, and other stuff. And all of them run pretty fast with this pathetic DSL connection that I have. Sure I could go faster, but what would the point be? For multiple video and picture file uploads? Ha! My parents dont even know how to use social networks properly, and me and my brothers basicly hate social networks. My brother only uploads a single video every day or so, and that is basicly how it is done with most Lpers on youtube. And then for gaming, I'd imagine that 1 gig speed would be really helpful, in theory, but my 3 computers arent compatible with 1 gig a sec dowload speed and not to forget to mention that no one in my family PC games or even online multiplayer on the consoles. So if we were to get 1 gig a sec download speed connect (free or not) it would completely go to waste.