I'm so sick of reverse racism in commercials

This topic is locked from further discussion.

murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 murlow12
Member since 2005 • 11109 Posts

For the last few years the trend has been to make a white guy look like a total moron, while at the same time making a black guy (or other minority or woman) look like a genius. This is just another example of reverse racism being acceptable in our society, and the white male having no voice. Before you scream "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?", take a look at these examples (I will continue to update this thread with new examples throughout the discussion):

1. Motel 6--Two sports announcers are talking about the motel. White guy is a total caffeine freak and black guy takes the cup ofcoffee from him.

2. Honda--white and black guy talking about how much they love their Civics. The white guy says things like "my Civic is cool. It's really fast!" The black guy says things like "it gets 30 miles to the gallon and has anti-lock brakes." In other words, the black guy is "in the know" while the white guy is a moron.

3. Southwest Airlines--white guy sitting next to a young black kid on a plane. White guy is perplexed by all the charges for amenities. After white guy fumbles around like an idiot for quite awhile, black kid says "is this your first flight?"

4. Avis Rental Car--black guy comes up to the counter and opens his mouth and music comes out. White guy is clueless and dumbfounded, and woman says she'll handle it, and her and black guy proceed to have a "conversation" in music.

5. Home Depot--black guy asks white worker several questions about Home Depot and its products. After white guy answers all the questions correctly, black guy puts on his vest to show that he is white guy's manager. It turns out black guy was quizzing white guy to make sure that he wouldn't screw up when dealing with customers. Black guy is very pleased that dumb white guy managed to get the questions right.

6. Cingular Wireless--every commercial has a dumb white guy and an intelligent asian guy.

7. Red Stripe beer--I almost forgot the worst offender. "Red Stripe--helping white people dance since..." Doesn't get more blatant than that. How about "Red Stripe-helping black people learn to swim since...?" Of course that one wouldn't fly. How can Red Stripe get away with these commercials?

8. Blockbuster--White woman has Blockbuster Total Access, black man has Netflix. Fat, disgusting, idiotic white man walks up and tells them both the endings to every movie. The white guy is such a moron!

I'm not just imagining this, because it seems like every commercial break there is another example. I am completely offended, but it doesn't seem like anyone cares. I think the reason this is so prevalent right now is because any other race/gender would speak out against that kind of portrayal on TV. White men are the only group with no voice, so it is "safe" to put them down over and over again. Your thoughts?

murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 murlow12
Also, feel free to add to this list if you think of others (which I'm sure you will).
Mudig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Mudig
Member since 2007 • 1567 Posts
We all know commercials won't change peoples' minds about who they think is the actual dumb one.
VetteMan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 VetteMan85
Member since 2005 • 8978 Posts
Nothing to add really. I have noticed the trend of making the token white guy look like a fool but the blacks look like geniuses in all the ads. Nothing really you can do. We live in a country where blacks are seen as unable to project racism and are can only receive it. Also now if they made a black person look stupid, it would be racist and the ad would be pulled. :roll:
geogo3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 geogo3r
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts
Theres nothing reverse about those, Its flatout Racism and Discrimination.
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 murlow12
We all know commercials won't change peoples' minds about who they think is the actual dumb one.Mudig
That's not the point (and for the record, I'm not asserting that any race/gender is "the dumb one"). The point is that it's innapropriate and degrading.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
It's just a coincidence. There are plenty of commercials where the white guy is the smart one, and the black guy is the dumb one. There's also that commercial were the black guy gets pulled over by a white cop. In the spanish version, a crazy hispanic gets pulled over by a white cop. :lol:
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 murlow12
It's just a coincidence. There are plenty of commercials where the white guy is the smart one, and the black guy is the dumb one. There's also that commercial were the black guy gets pulled over by a white cop. In the spanish version, a crazy hispanic gets pulled over by a white cop. :lol:DeeJayInphinity
I'm not sure what commercial you're talking about, but do you have any other examples. You say there are "plenty."
funnymario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 funnymario
Member since 2005 • 9122 Posts
There's no such thing as reverse racism.
VetteMan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VetteMan85
Infact, I've noticed an incredible increase in the appearance of blacks in ads period. They make up only 5% of the US population yet account for around 40-50% of commercials. And trust me, every race that is in an ad is CAREFULLY thought out and there for a reason.
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 murlow12
Infact, I've noticed an incredible increase in the appearance of blacks in ads period. They make up only 5% of the US population yet account for around 40-50% of commercials. And trust me, every race that is in an ad is CAREFULLY thought out and there for a reason.VetteMan85
I agree completely, but I just want to correct that they are actually about 10% of the population. But your point still stands.
Avatar image for freakyzeeky1986
freakyzeeky1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 freakyzeeky1986
Member since 2005 • 19711 Posts

It's not just in commercials... It's also on some TV shows.

Take the Simpsons for example... Lenny is not that bright, but Carl is smarter; he has a master's in Nuclear Physics. And Dr. Hibbert is a doctor for Homer, who is obviously dumb... :P

Mudig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mudig

[QUOTE="Mudig"]We all know commercials won't change peoples' minds about who they think is the actual dumb one.murlow12
That's not the point (and for the record, I'm not asserting that any race/gender is "the dumb one"). The point is that it's innapropriate and degrading.

Think about it this way...in American movies or cartoons it's usually the foreign guy specifically the French guy who is some short ugly smelly person who talks completely out of this world. The new movie Ratituoi(whatever, the Pixar movie), makes the head sheff guy look the exact image I just said and the American guy normal and smart etc...

VetteMan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VetteMan85
[QUOTE="VetteMan85"]Infact, I've noticed an incredible increase in the appearance of blacks in ads period. They make up only 5% of the US population yet account for around 40-50% of commercials. And trust me, every race that is in an ad is CAREFULLY thought out and there for a reason.murlow12
I agree completely, but I just want to correct that they are actually about 10% of the population. But your point still stands.

Yeah that's right. I was thinking asian which is at around 4-5%.
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 murlow12
Think about it this way...in American movies or cartoons it's usually the foreign guy specifically the French guy who is some short ugly smelly person who talks completely out of this world. The new movie Ratituoi(whatever, the Pixar movie), makes the head sheff guy look the exact image I just said and the American guy normal and smart etc...Mudig
We're not talking about foreigners here, we're talking about AMERICANS of different races. It's completely normal for a country to put down other countries in comedies and what not. What's not acceptable, though, is the racism being displayed on our own countrymen in commercials and TV.
xzemnes567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 xzemnes567
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
I don't care for racism to much/at all
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts

For starters, most of the people on TV are white.

There's that subway commercial that has the asian chick looking like a complete moron, and there's another commercial here for a Criminal Justice degree that has some black dude breaking into a car.

The commercial I was reffering to in my last post was for that Click It or Ticket thing here in Illinois.

Oh and I was just thinking about that Comcast commercial with the white guy that got a tiger tattoo. The guy on the phone has an asian accent and it makes the white guy look like an idiot. I love those ads.

Mudig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mudig

[QUOTE="Mudig"]Think about it this way...in American movies or cartoons it's usually the foreign guy specifically the French guy who is some short ugly smelly person who talks completely out of this world. The new movie Ratituoi(whatever, the Pixar movie), makes the head sheff guy look the exact image I just said and the American guy normal and smart etc...murlow12
We're not talking about foreigners here, we're talking about AMERICANS of different races. It's completely normal for a country to put down other countries in comedies and what not. What's not acceptable, though, is the racism being displayed on our own countrymen in commercials and TV.

Here you are complaining about racism and then saying what I said is normal...I don't really get what you mean but it seems that you really shouldn't bother with this subject at all since you're way off.

-MlKE-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 -MlKE-
Member since 2007 • 1796 Posts
I completely agree with you and I have been meaning to make a thread about this myself. It's really ridiculous now, almost every single commercial I see on TV is the while guy being an idiot and the black guy being smooth, calm and cool. It's really annoying. If the commercials were realistic they would show how the sports with the most black athletes (football and basketball) have the most players being arrested while the other sports (baseball and hockey) have virtually no arrests. Unfortunately, your going to be suspended for being racist and this thread will be locked.
sca321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sca321
Member since 2003 • 1903 Posts
I think there are more sexist commercials than racist ones. There are so many commercials where dad is a moron and mom is the only one that keeps things together. (There's one on tv in the background right now actually). Either that or the woman is in charge and the guy does everything she says and/or is afraid of her. There are never any the other way around.
cpo335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 cpo335
Member since 2002 • 5463 Posts
I think there are more sexist commercials than racist ones. There are so many commercials where dad is a moron and mom is the only one that keeps things together. (There's one on tv in the background right now actually). Either that or the woman is in charge and the guy does everything she says and/or is afraid of her. There are never any the other way around. sca321
That's because if they did that, then some person would see an opportunity to sue and get lots of money. I would do it. they'd get awa with it too
gun65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gun65
Member since 2004 • 3312 Posts
Well what can you do,these people that make the commercials are afraid to offend blacks,not sure why but they are
Avatar image for supermetroidfan
supermetroidfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 supermetroidfan
Member since 2004 • 19767 Posts

I DONT SEE ENOUGH ASIANS ON TV AHHHHH STUPID RACISM!!!!!!!

Honestly I don't give a ****

libthegod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 libthegod
Member since 2006 • 1517 Posts

Simple :

1. If white people were to make a commercial where the black guy is the stupid/dork/freak/addict/ignorant one, it would be racism.

I'm not being a racist, I'm just adding to the discussion with my humble opinion, I've seen this a lot, and some of my friends are black and they agree.

murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 murlow12
Unfortunately, your going to be suspended for being racist and this thread will be locked.-MlKE-
I don't think so. I'm not being disrepectful. There's no flaming going on here, and this is a completely legitimate topic. I'm pretty sure the mods won't lock this unless it gets out of hand. And I definitely won't get suspended for being racist, because this thread was made to speak out against racism, not promote it.
dreamdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dreamdude
Member since 2006 • 4627 Posts

Well what can you do,these people that make the commercials are afraid to offend blacks,not sure why but they aregun65

Because a majority of blackfolk are poor and will sue at any opertunity to get money.

But I don't see why white people complain about little things like commercial and ship. Most black's have to live in the **** that is the intercity. I lived there for a while and dear God I hope I never have to again.

camreeno360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 camreeno360
Member since 2005 • 6850 Posts
Yeah it's really noticable in commercials how they're trying to make black people feel good about themselves. More commercials are about black families because it seems like the companies are trying to show their acceptance of black people by putting them in their commercials. Kind of noticable but nothing much.
unknown-phenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 unknown-phenom
Member since 2006 • 1807 Posts
I honestly dont agree with you. Its just a commercial, there is alot worse going on in the actual world. Get out of your house and you might notice. :) I laugh at the commercials anyways.
supermetroidfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 supermetroidfan

I think there are more sexist commercials than racist ones. There are so many commercials where dad is a moron and mom is the only one that keeps things together. (There's one on tv in the background right now actually). Either that or the woman is in charge and the guy does everything she says and/or is afraid of her. There are never any the other way around. sca321

:|Big woop. There's more sexism towards woman in the media. Portrayed as sex objects and such.

unknown-phenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 unknown-phenom

[QUOTE="gun65"]Well what can you do,these people that make the commercials are afraid to offend blacks,not sure why but they aredreamdude

Because a majority of blackfolk are poor and will sue at any opertunity to get money.

IMO, If you want racism look at that.^

Multi-Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Multi-Alias
Member since 2003 • 254 Posts

I completely agree with you and I have been meaning to make a thread about this myself. It's really ridiculous now, almost every single commercial I see on TV is the while guy being an idiot and the black guy being smooth, calm and cool. It's really annoying. If the commercials were realistic they would show how the sports with the most black athletes (football and basketball) have the most players being arrested while the other sports (baseball and hockey) have virtually no arrests. Unfortunately, your going to be suspended for being racist and this thread will be locked.-MlKE-

lol so I just imagined Lou going crazy on the ref and the Atlanta Braves coach exploding in front of a large crowd.

But I agree with you guys, we're having a good discussion about this over at my other boards: www.07confederacy.com

lol reverse racism

camreeno360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 camreeno360
Member since 2005 • 6850 Posts
I don't know if you guys have noticed or not buy you can see they're trying to put an equal amount of each race to make America to make each individual group feel welcome. It's kind of dumb. I've seen a cable commercial with a hispanic family. A phone commercial with a black family. A car commercial with some asians. A bunch of commercials with whites etc.
supermetroidfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 supermetroidfan

I CANT BELIEVE HOW MANY OF THESE PEOPLE SIT AROUND COMING UP WITH COMMERCIALS THAT ARE SPECIFICALLY RACIST TOWARDS SOMEONE AND MADE TO DISCRIMINATE.

The caps show I'm highly serious.

dreamdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dreamdude
Member since 2006 • 4627 Posts
[QUOTE="dreamdude"]

[QUOTE="gun65"]Well what can you do,these people that make the commercials are afraid to offend blacks,not sure why but they areunknown-phenom

Dude and am black and its the damn truth.

lovemenow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 lovemenow
Member since 2005 • 8001 Posts
this thread is about as silly as 9/11 conspiracies.....i seen most of those commercials and your reading to much into them
zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts
Sure, its all subliminal advertising funded by the NAACP. Everyone knows that. >_>
unknown-phenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 unknown-phenom
[QUOTE="unknown-phenom"][QUOTE="dreamdude"]

[QUOTE="gun65"]Well what can you do,these people that make the commercials are afraid to offend blacks,not sure why but they aredreamdude

Dude, I dont care what color your skin is. Men are all equal. They have the same opertunities as each other. Look at sports, alot of the people in Basketball and Football are black. There are alot of business men who are black. Alot of actors who are black. Dont tell me the majority of black people are poor.
-MlKE-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -MlKE-
Member since 2007 • 1796 Posts
[QUOTE="-MlKE-"]I completely agree with you and I have been meaning to make a thread about this myself. It's really ridiculous now, almost every single commercial I see on TV is the while guy being an idiot and the black guy being smooth, calm and cool. It's really annoying. If the commercials were realistic they would show how the sports with the most black athletes (football and basketball) have the most players being arrested while the other sports (baseball and hockey) have virtually no arrests. Unfortunately, your going to be suspended for being racist and this thread will be locked.Multi-Alias
lol so I just imagined Lou going crazy on the ref and the Atlanta Braves coach exploding in front of a large crowd.

What does that have to do with anything?
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 murlow12

[QUOTE="sca321"]I think there are more sexist commercials than racist ones. There are so many commercials where dad is a moron and mom is the only one that keeps things together. (There's one on tv in the background right now actually). Either that or the woman is in charge and the guy does everything she says and/or is afraid of her. There are never any the other way around. supermetroidfan

:|Big woop. There's more sexism towards woman in the media. Portrayed as sex objects and such.

That's the fault of women as much as anything else. Nobody is forcing women to do porn or end up in Playboy. But that topic's for another day.
Flow4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Flow4U
Member since 2007 • 1529 Posts

Their just commercials get over it, life isn't fair :|

supermetroidfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 supermetroidfan
[QUOTE="dreamdude"][QUOTE="unknown-phenom"][QUOTE="dreamdude"]

[QUOTE="gun65"]Well what can you do,these people that make the commercials are afraid to offend blacks,not sure why but they areunknown-phenom

Dude, I dont care what color your skin is. Men are all equal. They have the same opertunities as each other. Look at sports, alot of the people in Basketball and Football are black. There are alot of business men who are black. Alot of actors who are black. Dont tell me the majority of black people are poor.

Actors and athletes in professional sports that are black counts for a very small percent of the black population. And I don't know about businessmen. I'm not saying most are, I'm just saying what you say does not disprove what he said.

unknown-phenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 unknown-phenom
[QUOTE="supermetroidfan"]

[QUOTE="sca321"]I think there are more sexist commercials than racist ones. There are so many commercials where dad is a moron and mom is the only one that keeps things together. (There's one on tv in the background right now actually). Either that or the woman is in charge and the guy does everything she says and/or is afraid of her. There are never any the other way around. murlow12

That's the fault of women as much as anything else. Nobody is forcing women to do porn or end up in Playboy. But that topic's for another day.

There is also sexism in the workplace. Women generally get paid lower wages that men.
cheeseboy1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cheeseboy1993
Member since 2004 • 622 Posts

there's this cinnamon toast crunch commercial where some caucasian girl's nose falls off and leads to some black kid eating his cereal and then she starts eating eat

funnymario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 funnymario
Member since 2005 • 9122 Posts
[QUOTE="unknown-phenom"][QUOTE="dreamdude"]

"Dude", im black and no it is NOT.

sca321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sca321
Member since 2003 • 1903 Posts

[QUOTE="sca321"]I think there are more sexist commercials than racist ones. There are so many commercials where dad is a moron and mom is the only one that keeps things together. (There's one on tv in the background right now actually). Either that or the woman is in charge and the guy does everything she says and/or is afraid of her. There are never any the other way around. murlow12

I didn't say it was a big woop. It's just a minor annoyance. People complain about sexism toward women all the time, I'm just saying that it goes both ways.

unknown-phenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 unknown-phenom
[QUOTE="unknown-phenom"][QUOTE="dreamdude"][QUOTE="unknown-phenom"][QUOTE="dreamdude"]

[QUOTE="gun65"]Well what can you do,these people that make the commercials are afraid to offend blacks,not sure why but they aresupermetroidfan

Actors and athletes in professional sports that are black counts for a very small percent of the black population. And I don't know about businessmen. I'm not saying most are, I'm just saying what you say does not disprove what he said.

I never said it did. All I am saying is that a black person can make there own way and get rich and live in all those fancy houses as well as white people. Personally, I dont like alotblack people, atleast were I live,but Im not letting that influence my way of thinking. Black people can think and do just as well as a white person.

supermetroidfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 supermetroidfan

:|Congratulations, you just destroyed the point of this thread. It's the fault of those white men. No one is forcing them to play dumb roles.

Flow4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Flow4U
Member since 2007 • 1529 Posts
[QUOTE="murlow12"][QUOTE="supermetroidfan"]

[QUOTE="sca321"]I think there are more sexist commercials than racist ones. There are so many commercials where dad is a moron and mom is the only one that keeps things together. (There's one on tv in the background right now actually). Either that or the woman is in charge and the guy does everything she says and/or is afraid of her. There are never any the other way around. supermetroidfan

:|Congratulations, you just destroyed the point of this thread. It's the fault of those white men. No one is forcing them to play dumb roles.

Nice one :)
libthegod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 libthegod
Member since 2006 • 1517 Posts
[QUOTE="murlow12"][QUOTE="supermetroidfan"]

You clearly have no idea what acting is all about these days (Press shift + 4 for a clue).

He's discussing what is with the producers making these commercials, it's sometimes sooooo obvious that it gets kinda funny.

Solution : Kill the TV