Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I'm so old I remember....

• Using a telephone booth
  • When Gamestop was Babbage's
  • Joe Camel controversy
  • Watching OJ Simpson live on tv police chase
  • Renting the SNES censored version of Mortal Kombat
  • Watching Airwolf in the 80's at my Grandpas house
  • Drinking a HI-C ector cooler aka slimer from GhostBusters everyday at the lunchtable in school
  • Being hyped to get Reebok pumps
  • Looking forward to Friday because of ABC TGIF shows
  • Almost everybody my age including myself having a Bart Simpsons don't have a cow T-shirt
  • When Nirvana played live on MTV for a new year's eve show
  • When skateboards went from one tail to twin tail
Mike1964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Mike1964
Member since 2021 • 50 Posts

Probably some 70s or 80s baby... If not, don't talk about music... No offence but your generation grew up with crap regarding music.

I'm so "old" I remember What's Going On back in 1971, Stevie Wonder's prime from 1971-1976, seeing Muhammad Ali's boxing matches on BBC.

That's a few things you little Gen X babies born in the 70s can't relate since you all weren't born yet.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@warmblur said:

• Joe Camel controversy
  • Drinking a HI-C ector cooler aka slimer from GhostBusters everyday at the lunchtable in school
  • Almost everybody my age including myself having a Bart Simpsons don't have a cow T-shirt

We must be around the same age (I'm 37), I remember all of that.

To add to the list:

• the first Gulf War
  • Floppy discs...not the rigid floppy discs, I'm talking actual floppy discs, the 5.25" ones.
  • Using MS-DOS
  • Windows 4.1
  • Those sweaters where when you breathed on them they changed color
  • Slap bracelets
  • The flavored chapstick phase all the girls went through
  • Using collect calls to send people messages without them having to accept charges, i.e. "You have a collect call from 'Dad come pick me up'. Would you like to accept the charges?"
  • And, perhaps most significantly, I remember NO INTERNET! NO SOCIAL MEDIA! NO SMART PHONES! And while cell phones did exist, they were the size of a toaster and only existed in movies.
  • The evolution of VHS to Laserdisc to DVD to Bluray and Digital
  • The evolution of cassette to CD to digital (and ironically back to vinyl...)
  • We used to measure file size in kilobytes, and a megabyte was a large size. Like when digital storage for music and stuff came out and you had a 512 mb zip drive, woh baby that was a biiiiiiiiiig drive you must be a millionaire.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:

• Joe Camel controversy

We must be around the same age (I'm 37), I remember all of that.

To add to the list:

• the first Gulf War
  • Floppy discs...not the rigid floppy discs, I'm talking actual floppy discs, the 5.25" ones.
  • Using MS-DOS
  • Windows 4.1
  • Those sweaters where when you breathed on them they changed color
  • Slap bracelets
  • The flavored chapstick phase all the girls went through
  • Using collect calls to send people messages without them having to accept charges, i.e. "You have a collect call from 'Dad come pick me up'. Would you like to accept the charges?"
  • And, perhaps most significantly, I remember NO INTERNET! NO SOCIAL MEDIA! NO SMART PHONES! And while cell phones did exist, they were the size of a toaster and only existed in movies.
  • The evolution of VHS to Laserdisc to DVD to Bluray and Digital
  • The evolution of cassette to CD to digital (and ironically back to vinyl...)
  • We used to measure file size in kilobytes, and a megabyte was a large size. Like when digital storage for music and stuff came out and you had a 512 mb zip drive, woh baby that was a biiiiiiiiiig drive you must be a millionaire.

Yep, I'm a few years older then you great list man what a time to grow up in that era.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Antenna TV (no cable)
Cassette tapes
Floppy disk
Macintosh computers (Kid Pix!)
Netscape web browser (at school)
No cell phones
No internet (at home)
VHS
Walkman

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

Being scared of Mortal Kombat II as a kid, begging my cousins to teach me the fatalities also.

Life before internet (before multiplayer games), and then playing Counter-Strike for 6 hours a day.

Floppy disks, VHS, learning how to use a Macintosh in school.

I was a bit too young to remember grunge, but I remember the height of Pop punk/emo, and 90’s Rap.

I remember 9/11 as well.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mrbojangles25

@lonewolf604 said:

Being scared of Mortal Kombat II as a kid, begging my cousins to teach me the fatalities also.

Life before internet (before multiplayer games), and then playing Counter-Strike for 6 hours a day.

I was a bit too young to remember grunge, but I remember the height of Pop punk/emo, and 90’s Rap.

I remember 9/11 as well.

This has been a happy thread so far, but yeah...I remember 9/11 like it was yesterday.

Also Columbine. I know there had been school shootings before that (living 15 minutes outside of Oakland I had heard of teachers and students getting shot by kid gang members) but this was the first I think anyone had heard of kids just shooting up a place for whatever reason.

I look back on those times and the relative innocence of our society (at least, relative to now) and there really were some things I wish we could return to. I never recall there being so much animosity towards people you disagree with back then. It seemed like we could always agree to disagree.

And school shootings. I miss when that was not even a nightmare people conceived of.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Rotary dial telephones - I'm not really that old, but they were still around in my country in the 80's, so I say I got you on this one :)

Cassette tapes, VHS

Actual printed magazines (that had some serious hype)

Italia '90 quarter finals penalty shootout.

Pretty much everything else from the 80's and 90's others listed.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

Ordering a Sinclair ZX81 computer with 1K of RAM, no sound, no colour, no storage apart from a cassette player, and spending hours on end copying lines of BASIC program code from “Your Sinclair” magazine so I could watch a 4x4 pixel move left and right when I pressed a totally flat keypad.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@mrbojangles25 said:
@lonewolf604 said:

I remember 9/11 as well.

This has been a happy thread so far, but yeah...I remember 9/11 like it was yesterday.

Also Columbine. I know there had been school shootings before that (living 15 minutes outside of Oakland I had heard of teachers and students getting shot by kid gang members) but this was the first I think anyone had heard of kids just shooting up a place for whatever reason.

I look back on those times and the relative innocence of our society (at least, relative to now) and there really were some things I wish we could return to. I never recall there being so much animosity towards people you disagree with back then. It seemed like we could always agree to disagree.

And school shootings. I miss when that was not even a nightmare people conceived of.

America never really felt the same after 9/11 there was much optimism going in 2000 minus the Y2k bug of course lol. To me the 90's felt like a party decade bad shit happened of course like Columbine and the Oklahoma city bombing etc.. but even with those horrible events America still felt optimistic once 9/11 happened I equate it to the country losing it's innocence like you mentioned and the 90's party vibe ending. For me it just felt like tragedy after tragedy in this world and it's just getting darker I would do anything to have a time machine to go back to the 90's and have fun without the world feeling like it's crumbling.

Mike1964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mike1964

Man... You 70s and 80s babies have no idea what you missed out regarding the 1970s then lol.

Amazing films, music, boxing was at its best, TV shows, the golden age of vinyl LPs, 8 track tapes, when ticket prices were actually cheap, we didn't stay indoors and just played video games (which unfortunately that has been happening since the 90s), we actually remember life before internet boom happened in the 90s. So many more to mention

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25

@mike1964 said:

Man... You 70s and 80s babies have no idea what you missed out regarding the 1970s then lol.

Amazing films, music, boxing was at its best, TV shows, the golden age of vinyl LPs, 8 track tapes, when ticket prices were actually cheap, we didn't stay indoors and just played video games (which unfortunately that has been happening since the 90s), we actually remember life before internet boom happened in the 90s. So many more to mention

Yeah I never saw the sun until I was like 19. What a terrible existence it was growing up in the 80s and 90s. I never played sports, listened to music, went outside, smelled fresh air, camped under the stars, played with friend....I just stayed inside and played video games all day. Woe is me.

Mike1964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mike1964

@mrbojangles25: growing up in the 80s? Little boy. You're 37... You didn't grow up in the 80s. You were a baby crapping yourself in pampers.

Terrible reply. The trolling is not working.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Calling Nintendo hotline when stuck on a game abd making my parents go crazy with the phone bill.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@mike1964: Word of advice. Be nice, unlike your posts here now, or see yourself banned.

@lonewolf604 said:

I remember 9/11 as well.

You didn't play GoldenEye with friends?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@horgen said:

@mike1964: Word of advice. Be nice, unlike your posts here now, or see yourself banned.

@lonewolf604 said:

I remember 9/11 as well.

You didn't play GoldenEye with friends?

I played the hell out of Goldeneye's campaign, never care for its MP as I rarely had any friends to come over...but when Halo CE release, that all change that for me.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 horgen  Moderator

@davillain- said:

I played the hell out of Goldeneye's campaign, never care for its MP as I rarely had any friends to come over...but when Halo CE release, that all change that for me.

Halo... I skipped CE for some reason.

My brother and I wore out 4 N64 controllers because we played GoldenEye with friends. The cheat you could get in second stage is the only one I never got I think.

Avatar image for deactivated-64fbf588222fb
deactivated-64fbf588222fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-64fbf588222fb
Member since 2021 • 1253 Posts

I'm 40+ and i miss the good moments while growing up.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

@mike1964 said:

Settle down and let the past go, Uncle Rico.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
  • VHF and UHF stations on televisions. I used to watch Red Dwarf at like 6AM on school days on a UHF station.
  • Analog cable boxes (boxes with physical sliding switches to change channels).
  • Turning the dial on the TV to channel 3 to play video games and flipping the switch on the RF box.
  • The announcement of the Challenger disaster when I was in grade school.
  • Learning to drive on a standard transmission car (rare in the US these days, at least).
  • Gaming on a PC that was only capable of 4 colors (if you counted black and white among the colors) and 1 channel sound and that had no hard drive.
  • Double density 5.25" floppy disks that stored 360k of data.
  • Getting Compute! magazine and transcribing pages and pages of BASIC language games so I could play games like Laser Chess.
  • Playing Carmen Sandiego and Oregon Trail on Apple IIes in the computer lab at school.
  • Token ring and other co-axial cable networks.
  • When networking wasn't necessarily built into the OS of computers (pre Windows 3.11, DOS) and using software like Novell Netware.
  • Using memory managers to leverage more than the first 640k of "conventional" RAM in a computer, such as the next 384k of "shadow" ram and converting anything beyond that from "extended" to "expanded" RAM.
  • Using boot disks to play games.
  • A time where there wasn't anything even resembling the internet in spite of the fact that literally everything I do professionally is entirely reliant on it.
Mike1964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mike1964

@heathen75: Your response doesn't make any sense... Considering what this thread is about?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Man, '76 baby here. The 80's were the best time to grow up. Bestest cartoons, music, tv shows and toys.

Also:

• Nerf Wars
  • Bottle Rocket Wars
  • That Saturday morning ritual
  • Being out of the house and unreachable
  • After-school cartoons
  • Everybody knew the FM DJs
  • Quarter arcade

Mike1964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mike1964

@br0kenrabbit:

The last great decade for music the 1980s. Michael Jackson, Metallica, U2, George Michael, Prince, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Sade, The Police, Rakim and so much more.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 br0kenrabbit

@mike1964 said:

@br0kenrabbit:

The last great decade for music the 1980s. Michael Jackson, Metallica, U2, George Michael, Prince, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Sade, The Police, Rakim and so much more.

I'm more Black Flag, Jane's Addiction, Dead Milkmen...

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@mike1964 said:

@mrbojangles25: growing up in the 80s? Little boy. You're 37... You didn't grow up in the 80s. You were a baby crapping yourself in pampers.

lol. are you gatekeeping age?

Mike1964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mike1964

@comp_atkins: is not gate keeping if it's the truth. He stated he's 37 which means he would have been born in 84. How are you an 80s kid and you missed out on the decade? Born the same year when Prince peaked with Purple Rain

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mrbojangles25

@comp_atkins said:
@mike1964 said:

lol. are you gatekeeping age?

Nah, he's just a troll. His name might be Mike1964 but he acts like Mike2007.

Mike1964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mike1964

@mrbojangles25: so I'm a "troll" for telling the truth lol?

A 37 year old claiming to have grown up in the 80s despite being 5 years old in 89?

Jesus... What has happened to the days when people could accept facts. I wasn't born in 2007...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mrbojangles25

@mike1964: whatever dude, you're 49 posts into your account and all you've done between this thread and others is talk shit about how life was best in the 60's 70's and 80's and how everyone else "missed out" or is a "baby".

You're a troll.

@mike1964 said:

@mrbojangles25: ... I wasn't born in 2007...

I was implying you act like you were, like you're some 13-14 year old troll.

See:

@mike1964 said:

Probably some 70s or 80s baby...

@mike1964 said:

...don't talk about music..

@mike1964 said:

...your generation grew up with crap regarding music.

@mike1964 said:

That's a few things you little Gen X babies born in the 70s can't relate since you all weren't born yet.

I know this is the internet and I shouldn't expect much, but grow up, kiddo.

Mike1964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mike1964

@mrbojangles25: 60s? I never mentioned anything about how life was great in the 60s. How would I know and I wasn't even around then lol?

Not my fault you were claiming to be a child of an era you weren't alive to have experienced, despite being 5 in 89.

Next time... Think before posting little man.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Yup, I remember when the globes at our school had USSR right on it.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts
  • People owning a Nokia 3310
  • Having a dial-up internet connection that interrupted my parents on the phone
  • Renting DVDs, VHS and video games at Blockbuster
  • Zidane headbutted Materazzi at the 2006 World Cup Final
  • Manchester United winning the treble in 1999
  • The Pokemon boom in 1999
  • Watching Dragonball and Pokemon before and after school
  • Using the iMac G3 in school

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@omegamaster said:

pfft. 8260 is where it's at

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-64fbf588222fb

@mike1964 said:

@mrbojangles25: 60s? I never mentioned anything about how life was great in the 60s. How would I know and I wasn't even around then lol?

Not my fault you were claiming to be a child of an era you weren't alive to have experienced, despite being 5 in 89.

Yo mike , just a advise be respectful to other fellow users as you are new here. @mrbojangles25 himself is one of the most easy going and freindly user around here from what i've observed.Don't get modded now for all the wrong reasons.

Anyways, enjoy your stay here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-64fbf588222fb

@br0kenrabbit said:

Man, '76 baby here. The 80's were the best time to grow up. Bestest cartoons, music, tv shows and toys.

Also:

• Nerf Wars
  • Bottle Rocket Wars
  • After-school cartoons
  • Quarter arcade

How could you forget the comics Wabbit? *Angry*

80's had some great DC/Marvel comics :)

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@kazumakiryu21 said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Also:

• Nerf Wars
  • Bottle Rocket Wars
  • After-school cartoons
  • Quarter arcade

Never got into comics, was too into AD&D to care.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-64fbf588222fb

@br0kenrabbit said:
@kazumakiryu21 said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Also:

• Nerf Wars
  • Bottle Rocket Wars
  • After-school cartoons
  • Quarter arcade

Never got into comics, was into AD&D.

Still angry :P

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 horgen  Moderator

Something doesn't make sense here

@mike1964 said:

Probably some 70s or 80s baby... If not, don't talk about music... No offence but your generation grew up with crap regarding music.

I'm so "old" I remember What's Going On back in 1971, Stevie Wonder's prime from 1971-1976, seeing Muhammad Ali's boxing matches on BBC.

@mike1964 said:

Stop trolling. Or as you say: Next time... Think before posting little man.

bronzeheart92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bronzeheart92
Member since 2017 • 129 Posts

I was born in 90s myself and I can remember stuff like the first PlayStation and CRT tvs at least.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

@comp_atkins said:
@omegamaster said:

pfft. 8260 is where it's at

Oh, I remember that too. Another popular phone back then.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

Life before smart phones

Saw a funny video about this recently. Ask someone under 20 to hold up an imaginary phone to their head lollll

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

I am so old I remember:

The Apollo moon landing

Life before computers

The first pocket calculators

When Pong was awesome and amazing

When Nike sneakers did not exist

When Dark Side of the Moon was released

Watching Vietnam updates on the nightly news

When our black and white TV only got two channels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@SUD123456 said:

I am so old I remember:

The Apollo moon landing

Life before computers

The first pocket calculators

When Pong was awesome and amazing

When Nike sneakers did not exist

When Dark Side of the Moon was released

Watching Vietnam updates on the nightly news

When our black and white TV only got two channels

Nice!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

When OT was busy.

When classic rock wasn't classic.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Wachovia Bank.

LaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LaP
Member since 2002 • 17786 Posts

@mike1964: Sorry but the 80ies to early 90ies were great years for music. The alternative and grunge rock movement was awesome. There was still some very good punk rock back then too. Even early 2k had Linkin Park you can hate them but they were awesome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@LaP said:

@mike1964: Sorry but the 80ies to early 90ies were great years for music. The alternative and grunge rock movement was awesome. There was still some very good punk rock back then too. Even early 2k had Linkin Park you can hate them but they were awesome.

Funny I actually use to hate them back in the day but in the last few months I started listening to them and now they are one of my favorite bands of all time RIP Chester. I really can relate to him I have a clinical depression so alot of the lyrics hit home also agree that the grunge movement was awesome.