Im not hating on **** people but...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cee1gee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cee1gee
Member since 2008 • 2042 Posts

I just dont see how they can be "born" gay you choose what you want to like, its not a gene in your body to tell you "ok we like the same sex"

anyone agree?

Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

No I don't.

Genetics dude. They actually can decide your sexual orientation.

black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 black_cat19
Member since 2006 • 8212 Posts

I just dont see how they can be "born" gay you choose what you want to like, its not a gene in your body to tell you "ok we like the same sex"

anyone agree?

cee1gee

So did you choose to like the oposite sex, TC? Was it a consious decision?

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
were you born straight? I'm not arguing or agreeing with you, because I don't know if theres a genetic reason for people to like the same sex or not. I fully support gay people and see them as complete equals and would never demean them because of their sexual orientation, so it really doesn't matter to me if they're born gay or its an acquired thing. I don't know if i was born straight or acquired it, but I'd hope people would accept me either way.
cee1gee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cee1gee

[QUOTE="cee1gee"]

anyone agree?

black_cat19

it is instinct, i didnt have to think about it, it is natural
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

No. All evidence is pointing towards an inherited trait. I don't believe people woke up one day and flipped a coin to decide if they would find men or women attractive.

They've done studies and this unnamed "homosexuality" trait (that is often referenced) is much more clustered in families.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
I dont know. I have seen little kids that strike me as overly-feminine(if they have homo-sexual tendencies is beyond me). I dont know if one could be born that way. A gay gene make homo-sexuality sound like a disease (although it was considered one not too long ago), but enough about that. I dont know.
cee1gee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cee1gee
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]were you born straight? I'm not arguing or agreeing with you, because I don't know if theres a genetic reason for people to like the same sex or not. I fully support gay people and see them as complete equals and would never demean them because of their sexual orientation, so it really doesn't matter to me if they're born gay or its an acquired thing. I don't know if i was born straight or acquired it, but I'd hope people would accept me either way.

i support everyone, im just saying it doesnt make sense why they would say they were born that way
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
[QUOTE="black_cat19"]

[QUOTE="cee1gee"]

anyone agree?

cee1gee

It's normative, not necessarily natural.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XilePrincess
[QUOTE="cee1gee"][QUOTE="XilePrincess"]were you born straight? I'm not arguing or agreeing with you, because I don't know if theres a genetic reason for people to like the same sex or not. I fully support gay people and see them as complete equals and would never demean them because of their sexual orientation, so it really doesn't matter to me if they're born gay or its an acquired thing. I don't know if i was born straight or acquired it, but I'd hope people would accept me either way.

i support everyone, im just saying it doesnt make sense why they would say they were born that way

again, were you born straight?
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Saturos3091
[QUOTE="cee1gee"] i support everyone, im just saying it doesnt make sense why they would say they were born that way

Why wouldn't it? Surely you understand genetics and inheritance, correct? At what point in your life did you choose females over males?
cee1gee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cee1gee

[QUOTE="cee1gee"][QUOTE="black_cat19"]

Danm_999

if 2 beings that can mate is not natural...then what is? how is that normative

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts
Whether they were born gay or not is debatable, but all gays will tell you that they did not make a conscious decision to be gay and its not something they can willfully change.
cee1gee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cee1gee
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"][QUOTE="cee1gee"][QUOTE="XilePrincess"]were you born straight? I'm not arguing or agreeing with you, because I don't know if theres a genetic reason for people to like the same sex or not. I fully support gay people and see them as complete equals and would never demean them because of their sexual orientation, so it really doesn't matter to me if they're born gay or its an acquired thing. I don't know if i was born straight or acquired it, but I'd hope people would accept me either way.

i was born not knowing anything until i got older and instinct kicked in
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="cee1gee"] it is instinct, i didnt have to think about it, it is naturalcee1gee

if 2 beings that can mate is not natural...then what is? how is that normative

Natural means present in nature (biologically, what we take to mean the animal world, and to a limited extent our own). Both heterosexual and homosexual behaviour is observed in the 'natural' world. Therefore, both are natural. I call heterosexuality normative, because it is the norm, or standard. Just because homosexual behaviour in humans and animals is less common than heterosexual behaviour does not make it unnatural.
Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
I can't say I ever really remember choosing to like anything, I just did. I'd say that preferences are determined by a combination of genetic factors and experiences. While I don't believe you choose your preferences I will say that I believe choices you make may make you more open to preferring certain things.
cee1gee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cee1gee
Whether they were born gay or not is debatable, but all gays will tell you that they did not make a conscious decision to be gay and its not something they can willfully change. Tauruslink
so what about the people who liked the opposite sex at first, then felt the urge for the same sex, is that the genes? ofcourse not, because they would of been with the same sex from the start
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

I don't see why people can't accept this concept.

As a straight guy I could not imagine myself having sex with another man. I can admit if a guy is handsome and everything, but gay sex is a total turnoff for me and of course I just feel this immense poll to beautiful girls that is indescribable (I think everyone here knows what I am talking about. There are times where you would do anything to be with a person).

With gay people I see it as a simple change in that gene. Instead of being directed to the opposite sex they find themselves drawn to their own sex.

I also have to bring up the very valid point that in the world we live in now why in God's name would anyone CHOOSE to be gay It does absolutely nothing but complicate your life with the struggles the gay community faces in out society.

Oh and lets not forget what happened in the 50's where they treated gayness as a mental illness and tried numerous therapies to cure people of being gay none of which were successfull in the least.

MJoanne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MJoanne
Member since 2004 • 782 Posts

No! Did you ever have a crush on someone? Did you choose that person? Or did the feelings just happen? Think about it... why would anyone "choose" to be gay?

CaptRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CaptRex
Member since 2009 • 199 Posts

Still there's no explanation on this issue ^^.. maybe it's their choice.. to be gay ^^

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Saturos3091
[QUOTE="Tauruslink"]Whether they were born gay or not is debatable, but all gays will tell you that they did not make a conscious decision to be gay and its not something they can willfully change. cee1gee
so what about the people who liked the opposite sex at first, then felt the urge for the same sex, is that the genes? ofcourse not, because they would of been with the same sex from the start

Bisexuality and homosexuality are completely different. Don't compare the two.
smc91352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 smc91352
Member since 2009 • 7786 Posts

No! Did you ever have a crush on someone? Did you choose that person? Or did the feelings just happen? Think about it... why would anyone "choose" to be gay?

MJoanne

I don't think that's what he's saying.

He's just arguing that you aren't born that way.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 XilePrincess
[QUOTE="Tauruslink"]Whether they were born gay or not is debatable, but all gays will tell you that they did not make a conscious decision to be gay and its not something they can willfully change. cee1gee

Did your parents say/you witness someone else saying "Oh you'll have 3 girlfriends" when you failed to blow out said number of birthday candles? did you ever hear "youll have a wife when you're older" or "youll have a girlfriend"? straight has been the 'norm' for so long, people just automatically hammer it into their kids. That's why people have issues 'coming out', because it isn't the norm. They feel as though it's wrong, because straight has been forced on them from day 1. only people who don't identify as straight or are very sensitive to the whole subject speak with the words "partner" or "significant other" without including gender in it to their child.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
[QUOTE="black_cat19"]

[QUOTE="cee1gee"]

anyone agree?

cee1gee

I never thought about it either. Actually, I thought about it a lot, but it was pretty apparent to me, including after dates and sex with girls that I enjoyed those activities a lot more with guys
cee1gee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cee1gee
[QUOTE="cee1gee"][QUOTE="Tauruslink"]Whether they were born gay or not is debatable, but all gays will tell you that they did not make a conscious decision to be gay and its not something they can willfully change. Saturos3091

im comparing the fact that if its a gene problem, it would of happened since birth, not to whatever age they starting preferring
Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts

MJoanne

Seriously. Especially when gay's have been so harshly looked down on in our society for generations. If everyone just had the choice to be gay or straight, everyone would just choose to be straight so they can be accepted better... But no, that's not the case. There have always been gay's whether they liked it or not, it's not something they can control.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Danm_999
[QUOTE="cee1gee"][QUOTE="XilePrincess"][QUOTE="cee1gee"] i support everyone, im just saying it doesnt make sense why they would say they were born that way

No, it didn't. We're conditioned to be attracted to several things which aren't strictly natural. Concepts like monogamy or Western standards of beauty are learnt, not instinctual. Look at Victorian notions of beauty (the corsette for example). People found that innately beautiful; we don't. They were born instinctually with that lust, it was learnt.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

this seems odd considering all your religion threads. Don't you think God is behind all things? If so then why do you think it's impossible to be born gay?

Also more importantly consider this question,have you ever chosen to be attracted to somebody?

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
I don't remember choosing to be attracted to females; I'm sure it's the same with them.
Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Tauruslink

A lot of people repress their homosexuality to try to fit in and go to great lengths to do so, even hooking up with someone of the opposite sex. Eventually they cannot repress who they are and embrace (or at least acknowledge) their homosexuality.

In addition, some people are "confused" about their sexuality, especially at a young age when their sex drive has not fully kicked in, because society tells them that they should like the opposite sex, while their bodies hint at same sex attraction. This can lead to people initially thinking they are straight, and then realizing they are actually gay.

At any rate, human sexuality is something complex and not fully understood. Why are some people gay We do not know for sure yet; but what is certain is that it is not a choice.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Danm_999
[QUOTE="cee1gee"][QUOTE="Saturos3091"][QUOTE="cee1gee"] so what about the people who liked the opposite sex at first, then felt the urge for the same sex, is that the genes? ofcourse not, because they would of been with the same sex from the start

if its a gene problem,

For all your assurances you don't want to hate on homosexuals, you're language implicitly suggests an interpretation that wouldn't be out of place in the 50s.
cee1gee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cee1gee

this seems odd considering all your religion threads. Don't you think God is behind all things? If so then why do you think it's impossible to be born gay?

Also more importantly consider this question,have you ever chosen to be attracted to somebody?

Serraph105
ofcourse i did, i chose to like her personality, i chose to like her looks or whatever beauty she has...i dont just go say "oh im attracted to you, but i have no idea why"
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="cee1gee"] i was born not knowing anything until i got older and instinct kicked insmc91352

No, it didn't. We're conditioned to be attracted to several things which aren't strictly natural.

Concepts like monogamy or Western standards of beauty are learnt, not instinctual. Look at Victorian notions of beauty (the corsette for example). People found that innately beautiful; we don't. They were born instinctually with that lust, it was learnt.

But that's exactly what he's arguing. Its a psychological and not a genetic thing.

He's arguing that his attraction to women was instinct.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

I'm straight but it wasn't a decision. It's just the way I am. Now if it was predetermined from the day I was born I don't know but I certainly didn't choose my sexual orientation.

smc91352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 smc91352

[QUOTE="smc91352"]

[QUOTE="Danm_999"] No, it didn't. We're conditioned to be attracted to several things which aren't strictly natural.

Concepts like monogamy or Western standards of beauty are learnt, not instinctual. Look at Victorian notions of beauty (the corsette for example). People found that innately beautiful; we don't. They were born instinctually with that lust, it was learnt.Danm_999

But that's exactly what he's arguing. Its a psychological and not a genetic thing.

because of his surroundings. not because of birth.

gay people have that instinct because of their surroundings.

He's not arguing that gay-ness isn't natural; he's just saying genetics have nothing to do with it.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I don't completely buy the genetics argument, I think it can play into it but I don't think that's the only factor, but that doesn't mean it's a choice per se. There are many environmental factors that contribute to our psychological, social, and sexual development. I guess some people worry that some sort of social eugenics argument could be formed off of that, but these things aren't always things that you can just, "tweak." In Fruedian theory, for example, relationships with figures like your parents shape who you are. As a parent you could try to not raise a homosexual, but there are so many factors that parents aren't always in total control of and probably never could be in total control of so as to make such an insane idea as social eugenics, thankfully, unfeasible.

To address the TC a little more directly, everyone is born with certain urges. Why do male monkeys hump other male monkeys? It's not because of a need to procreate, it doesn't seem to be because of any social factors, it just seems to be an instinct, although not a universal one. Why do you like the foods you like? I guess in some ways environment contributes to it as you're probably going to develop a taste for the foods you eat on a regular basis, but have you ever tried something and just not liked it? Would you say that you didn't like it because you were socialized not to like it? I wouldn't think so. Homosexuality is a choice insofar as one can choose to repress their feelings or not, same as you could choose to eat a food you absolutely detested, but many times we cannot choose the base impulses that guide us, we can only choose how we let those impulses affect us.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Saturos3091

im comparing the fact that if its a gene problem, it would of happened since birth, not to whatever age they starting preferringcee1gee
Since you missed the whole point many others have made in this thread, I'll spell it out for you. Just like your genes (I'll call them genes for now. despite it being officially called an "inherited trait") tell you to like girls (and were present since birth), someone else' genes tell them to like guys. It won't come to fruition until a bit later, just like your preference for females didn't directly show until a few years later. It was always present from birth. There is no choice involved here, and like other people have said, why would anyone choose to be homosexual? So they could live a life filled with problems and not have any offspring? Where's the logic in that?

Bisexuality is a completely different story. It's a "learned" behavior rather than an inherited one. It's often present in people that are confused about their sexuality to the extent that they will go through several relationships of both sexes because their preference is leaning in one direction while societies stupid blanket morality is telling them that they're wrong.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LostProphetFLCL

[QUOTE="cee1gee"][QUOTE="Tauruslink"]Whether they were born gay or not is debatable, but all gays will tell you that they did not make a conscious decision to be gay and its not something they can willfully change. Tauruslink

A lot of people repress their homosexuality to try to fit in and go to great lengths to do so, even hooking up with someone of the opposite sex.

Great story concerning this. I know a gay guy who at one point in his life did attempt to try to play it straight and went to bed with a girl.

He ended up vomiting on her:lol:

If that isn't proof of how ingrained these things are into our genes and how little control we have over them, then I have no idea what is.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="smc91352"]

smc91352

He's not arguing that gay-ness isn't natural; he's just saying genetics have nothing to do with it.

Genetics? The jury may be out on that one. However, there are several empirical studies done on how biology affects sexual preference.
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LostProphetFLCL

[QUOTE="cee1gee"] im comparing the fact that if its a gene problem, it would of happened since birth, not to whatever age they starting preferringSaturos3091
Since you missed the whole point many others have made in this thread, I'll spell it out for you. Just like your genes tell you to like girls (and were present since birth), someone else' genes tell them to like guys. It won't come to fruition until a bit later, just like your preference for females didn't directly show until a few years later. It was always present from birth. There is no choice involved here, and like other people have said, why would anyone choose to be homosexual? So they could live a life filled with problems and not have any offspring? Where's the logic in that? Bisexuality is a completely different story. It's a "learned" behavior rather than an inherited one. It's often present in people that are confused about their sexuality to the extent that they will go through several relationships of both sexes because their preference is leaning in one direction while societies stupid blanket morality is telling them that they're wrong.

Yes we do tend to develope "types" that we go after.

I actually had a friend tell me (after I showed her a picture of the girl I had been chasing after) that she swears I have a tendency to go for girls who all had a similar face.

You will notice to how some people can unfortunately get stuck in and endless number of volitile relationships. Even when they try and change they can still find themselves ending up in the same sort of scenario over and over again....

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 theone86

[QUOTE="cee1gee"][QUOTE="XilePrincess"] again, were you born straight?Danm_999

No, it didn't. We're conditioned to be attracted to several things which aren't strictly natural. Concepts like monogamy or Western standards of beauty are learnt, not instinctual. Look at Victorian notions of beauty (the corsette for example). People found that innately beautiful; we don't. They were born instinctually with that lust, it was learnt.

I don't know that either position can claim superiority, people have been arguing about just such issues for centuries.

cee1gee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cee1gee

[QUOTE="Tauruslink"]

[QUOTE="cee1gee"] so what about the people who liked the opposite sex at first, then felt the urge for the same sex, is that the genes? ofcourse not, because they would of been with the same sex from the startLostProphetFLCL

A lot of people repress their homosexuality to try to fit in and go to great lengths to do so, even hooking up with someone of the opposite sex.

Great story concerning this. I know a gay guy who at one point in his life did attempt to try to play it straight and went to bed with a girl.

If that isn't proof of how ingrained these things are into our genes and how little control we have over them, then I have no idea what is.

you sure that was his genes? or just psychological? perhaps he might of been scared since it was his 1st time with a girl, alot of factors come into play
smc91352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 smc91352

[QUOTE="smc91352"]

[QUOTE="Danm_999"] He's arguing that his attraction to women was instinct.Danm_999

Genetics? The jury may be out on that one. However, there are several empirical studies done on how biology affects sexual preference.

well then that's what you should've started with; not "did you choose to be straight?"

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Tauruslink

[QUOTE="Tauruslink"]

[QUOTE="cee1gee"] so what about the people who liked the opposite sex at first, then felt the urge for the same sex, is that the genes? ofcourse not, because they would of been with the same sex from the startLostProphetFLCL

Yep, there you go. I've seen it happen myself too.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="cee1gee"] i was born not knowing anything until i got older and instinct kicked intheone86

I don't know that either position can claim superiority, people have been arguing about just such issues for centuries.

Even the concept of homosexual and heterosexual are modern social constructs. Before the modern age, your sexual identity didn't necessarily matter based on who you had sex with, but how you had sex. Case in point, Ancient Greece.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="smc91352"]

smc91352

well then that's what you should've started with; not "did you choose to be straight?"

Notice I didn't start with that.
smc91352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 smc91352

[QUOTE="smc91352"]

[QUOTE="Danm_999"] Genetics? The jury may be out on that one. However, there are several empirical studies done on how biology affects sexual preference.Danm_999

Notice I didn't start with that.

oh..sorry.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 theone86

[QUOTE="Tauruslink"]

Not necessarily, try eating something you find really disgusting but that others might find completely normal. When I was young someone brought squid to school and some kids liked it, one vomited it up. Does that mean he's genetically predisposed against squid? Not necessarily. I'm not saying there isn't research to suggest that genetics and biology don't play a part in it, although there is still not much substantial research on genetics, I'm just saying your example doesn't necessarily prove genetic involvement.