Illegal to show public swastika?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jessenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jessenator
Member since 2005 • 678 Posts
The other night I was driving home from work and I saw a new subdivision with about 8 flags at the entrance that all said the name of the real estate company. Thats when I got the idea to switch those flags with pirate flags. Over the past day or so it has evolved into a plan to fly Nazi flags instead of the real estate ones. I'm not a nazi, i just like to piss people off. Will this be considered a hate crime? Other than the probable theft/vandalism charges will there be anything else I should be afraid of? Is it even legal to show a nazi sign on public property? Edit: Alright, suppose I erect (hehe) my own flag pole with a nazi sign in it and put it next to the other flags. No harm is done, no vandalism occurs. if they don't like it they can take it away. I'll make a stand for it so it won't make a hole. What will they charge me with, littering?
Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts
If you're not a Nazi then why would you want to do it? Kinda dicey as to if it's a hate crime or not. Could be considered vandalism. You'll make the news that's for sure. And if you get caught you'll surely be arrested. Not worth it even if you were a Nazi. There are better was to piss people of then some insensitive crap such as this.
delol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 delol
Member since 2005 • 8793 Posts
Not in the USA
Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts
Nazi emblems aren't considered funny in any way, they'll surely call the cops right away, whether it's illegal or not.
ShamrockRovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ShamrockRovers
Member since 2006 • 1441 Posts

It is Germany so I heard.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
People find that offensive so I'm sure alot of people would be pissed off.
GettingTired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GettingTired
Member since 2006 • 5994 Posts
Doubt you'll get in any trouble. Just do it.
Scarker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Scarker
Member since 2008 • 1433 Posts
You know, I would just, not recommend it...
luisen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 luisen123
Member since 2006 • 6537 Posts

I'll say go for it, If you're caught most likely you'll just get some time for vandalism..

Avatar image for Manly-manly-man
Manly-manly-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Manly-manly-man
Member since 2006 • 3477 Posts

It shouldn't be. The swastika is a symbol thousands of years old, and one culture, a relatively recent one, has ANY negative connontations. It has been a symbol of luck, fortune, and peace for far longer than it has symolized hate, so unless you are wearing it for the prupose of expressing you being a Nazi, none should be offended. And even if you ARE, it is not illegal, just don't try to express your views strongly in public.

Edit: After reading your post, I have this to say: You are a little dumbass. What you are planning on doing has absolutely no purpose other than wanting to get attention, and using a symbol that many find offensive, and they very well should, is something you should be ashamed of. If you do go through with this, I sincerely hope you get arrested AT LEAST, and in my opinion you deserve considerably worse than a few hours in jail until your parents bail you out.

Montaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Montaya
Member since 2005 • 4269 Posts
Stick with the pirate flags, a nazi flag is very disgraceful.
H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 H8sMikeMoore
Member since 2008 • 5427 Posts

The other night I was driving home from work and I saw a new subdivision with about 8 flags at the entrance that all said the name of the real estate company. Thats when I got the idea to switch those flags with pirate flags. Over the past day or so it has evolved into a plan to fly Nazi flags instead of the real estate ones. I'm not a nazi, i just like to piss people off. Will this be considered a hate crime? Other than the probable theft/vandalism charges will there be anything else I should be afraid of? Is it even legal to show a nazi sign on public property?Jessenator

flying a nazi flag is technically no more illegal than switching it with pirate flags, however an emotional judge might make the sentence harder

TheHimura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheHimura
Member since 2005 • 9297 Posts

It isn't illegal to show a swastika sign as far as I know. After all, there are shirts with the swastika sign on it.

Image:Nancy Spungen.jpg

;)

omfg_its_dally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 omfg_its_dally
Member since 2006 • 8068 Posts
I'd stick with the Jolly Roger. :D
Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts

It's not illegal to show a swastika in public, but you won't be very popular for doing it as I'm sure you're aware. Depending on the interpretation of the person it might be hate crime (as in it seems like you're trying to spread some sort of neo-nazi messge) or just vandalism.

If it were my place that got a Nazi flag put on it, I'd be a bit freaked out and think someone hateful put it there tbh. I'd also wonder why since I'm not Jewish, Slavic, or homosexual.

Really, unless it's accompanied by other Hindu symbols, I'd stay out of that territory since it's such a stigma in our society, not to mention unfunny.

Though I'd discourage this asinine prank altogether, I'd say stick with the pirate flag since that'd at least be kinda funny. I mean, I'd lol if I routinely passed by there and saw that, but if I was visiting from out of town and saw it for the first time, I'd just be kinda "wtf?!"

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

It's a very offensive symbol, even if you're joking. It is legal in some countries, such as the U.S. but showing it in Germany can get you in a lot of trouble.

Unless the swastika is used for religious purposes (like Hinduism) then it's alright.

D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 D3nnyCrane
Member since 2007 • 12058 Posts
The displaying of a political emblem is not illegal. However, if I read your post right (and apologies if I didnt) it was a residential complex? Tampering with anything there may be prosecuting you with anything from breach of peace to criminal nuisance to trespassing. Up to you if you wanna do it, just be aware that there can be legal ramifications.
joeytentz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 joeytentz
Member since 2008 • 754 Posts
Not illegal in USA, but very much immoral.
Avatar image for Mythbuster4ever
Mythbuster4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mythbuster4ever
Member since 2007 • 2846 Posts

Imagine a hatefull oppressive regime that has killed hundreds of thousands of people for being Jewish, Homosexual, and Slavic, and who wanted to dominate the world using a picture of 3 lines and an X through them. Now, would you want someone with a flag with 3 lines and an X through them living next door?

On a side note, some of these symbols are being used in a different manner. the triangle was used in concentration camp to identify homosexuals, now, its become a symbol many gays are proud of, so it can go either way.

Mystery-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mystery-
Member since 2007 • 2144 Posts
Not in the US or Canada...
StephenHu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 StephenHu
Member since 2003 • 2852 Posts
If you're going to piss people off, why not wear a shirt with the swastika so people know who to get pissed off at.
The_Mac_Daddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_Mac_Daddy
Member since 2008 • 2401 Posts
Put Mexican flags up. That will get everyone all jacked up.
Jessenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jessenator
because it's funnier when people think that it's a Nazi subdivision. Also, one post got me thinking: A gay pride flag. that wouldn't be quite as bad, would it?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Let's put it this way...I don't think you're gonna be conicted of a hate crime if you're not committing a crime. But if you're committing a crime, hate crime charges are possble.

As in, calling a black person "that word" isn't a crime, so you won't get charged with a hate crime.

But andalism is a crime. So if you decide to andalise a black church by leaing a burning cross on the front lawn, you're probably gonna get in some serious trouble. It's a crime anyway, and the fact that it was hate-related makes it a potential hate crime.

So...I guess you could put up a Nazi flag next to the other flags. But you'd better make DAMN sure that you put the Nazi flag on your own property. If someone else owns the property, it's technically illegal for you to put ANYTHING there. And to break a law while giing the impression that what you're doing is race-related is just...stupid. Not just stupid, but INCREDIBLY stupid.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Let's put it this way...I don't think you're gonna be conicted of a hate crime if you're not committing a crime. But if you're committing a crime, hate crime charges are possble.

As in, calling a black person "that word" isn't a crime, so you won't get charged with a hate crime.

But andalism is a crime. So if you decide to andalise a black church by leaing a burning cross on the front lawn, you're probably gonna get in some serious trouble. It's a crime anyway, and the fact that it was hate-related makes it a potential hate crime.

So...I guess you could put up a Nazi flag next to the other flags. But you'd better make DAMN sure that you put the Nazi flag on your own property. If someone else owns the property, it's technically illegal for you to put ANYTHING there. And to break a law while giing the impression that what you're doing is race-related is just...stupid. Not just stupid, but INCREDIBLY stupid.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

No, it's not illegal. Stupid, but not illegal. Frankly, I think even wanting to do that kind of makes you an idiot...

Anyway, kind of pointless side note:

The Swastika existed in Hinduism, Buddhism, and some other religions long before the it became associated with the Nazi party. While it is pretty much invariably associated with Nazism in most Western countries, don't assume that is has that sort of connotation everywhere.

Jessenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jessenator

MrGeezer
I think your "v"key is stuck.
Adonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Adonymous
Member since 2008 • 1664 Posts

only in germany.

btw you should do it.

The Swastika is not a symbol of hate.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts
Am I the only one who read the topic title as Illegal to show pubic swastika?