This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gonzafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Gonzafan
Member since 2008 • 1465 Posts

I am planning to visit Amsterdam this winter holidays, and while I am reading about this city, I heard that it has a river, that is called IJ. As if it is an acronym or initialism, pronounced I.J.

But no matter how hard I search on the internet (I googled), I could not get what the river's name "IJ" even stand for, unlike virtually all other acronyms I saw (such as ATP, UFO, TV, USA, etc.)

What does the name IJ even stand for?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 19996 Posts

@Gonzafan said:

I am planning to visit Amsterdam this winter holidays, and while I am reading about this city, I heard that it has a river, that is called IJ. As if it is an acronym or initialism, pronounced I.J.

But no matter how hard I search on the internet (I googled), I could not get what the river's name "IJ" even stand for, unlike virtually all other acronyms I saw (such as ATP, UFO, TV, USA, etc.)

What does the name IJ even stand for?

How hard did you google? :)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=amsterdam+ij+river

Found several hits that appear to contain the info you're looking for.

-Byshop

Gonzafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Gonzafan

Yep. I mean this river, the I.J. river in Amsterdam. But no matter I try, I could not get a reasonable decomposition of this acronym.

BTW (By the way), we know UFO is Unidentified Flying Object, TV is TeleVision, PS3 is Playstation Three, and ET Cetra (etc.) In fact, some words, such as laser, radar, and scuba became words of their own, and before they were just acronyms, i.e. LASER, RADAR, SCUBA. In which you pronounce the individual letters of this acronym.

Then IJ is indeed a weird acronym. Eye-Jay.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Byshop  Moderator

@Gonzafan said:

Yep. I mean this river, the I.J. river in Amsterdam. But no matter I try, I could not get a reasonable decomposition of this acronym.

BTW (By the way), we know UFO is Unidentified Flying Object, TV is TeleVision, PS3 is Playstation Three, and ET Cetra (etc.) In fact, some words, such as laser, radar, and scuba became words of their own, and before they were just acronyms, i.e. LASER, RADAR, SCUBA. In which you pronounce the individual letters of this acronym.

Then IJ is indeed a weird acronym. Eye-Jay.

I'm guessing you didn't stop to actually read the search results. The name is not an acronym. This is an excerpt from the first paragraph of the first result that came back from the link I posted:

"Its name is an obsolete Dutch word meaning "water", derived from the West Frisian word ie "stream, small river" (from Germanic *ahwō, "water") and is cognate with Dutch Aa/Ee names for bodies of water. The name consists of the digraph ij, which behaves like a single letter. Therefore, both letters are capitalized; cf. IJmuiden."

-Byshop

Gonzafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gonzafan

What?? I.J. is not an acronym??

Totally mind-blown that this IJ name doesn't stand for anything. But what could it stand for, before this name was created? How can anyone imagine that I.J. doesn't stand for anything, and that the name of this river is just I.J.?

Have you seen any acronyms or any name pronounced as if it is an acronym that does not stand for anything?

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 bfa1509
Member since 2011 • 1058 Posts

RLD is the only acronym you need to know...

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20140 Posts

Its not an acronym and you shouldnt write it as "I.J."

Its simply IJ

Edit: its pronounced as you would say "I" in english

Gonzafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gonzafan

IJwhat? IJ meaning International Junction? International Justice River? This is the silliest name you can give to a geographical region - an acronym that does not stand for anything.

Let's all go to the IJ!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator

@Gonzafan said:

IJwhat? IJ meaning International Junction? International Justice River? This is the silliest name you can give to a geographical region - an acronym that does not stand for anything.

Let's all go to the IJ!

It's not an acronym. It's just two letters that because of their origin in another language are supposed to be capitalized.

-Byshop

Gonzafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gonzafan

Then for foreigners, it would be pronounced I.J.

So, the Dutch should name this river the Ij if it is not an acronym (or historically so).

Gonzafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gonzafan

Imagine if DLC, TV, UFO, USA, IJPC (International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding if you don't know), G8, OMG aren't acronyms.

This is what IJ is trying to demonstrate!