If you could start your life all over again, would you?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll If you could start your life all over again, would you? (26 votes)

Yes 54%
No 46%

I think so, only because knowing what would/could happen would give me an advantage haha. How about you, OT?

• 
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

Absolutely, on the condition that I a.) have the knowledge I have now, and b.) live the same years.

I really enjoyed being a "90's kid", growing up in the pre-internet, pre-cell phone age.

And while I wouldn't say I have any outright regrets that make me want to restart my life over, I do think I could have done things differently to sort of optimize it.

I'd probably study computer science. Growing up in the 90's I had computers and I could have been "early" to tech in a way that would have made me not a pioneer, but having experience. I wouldn't pursue manual labor like I have; I've enjoyed my jobs, but they've taken a toll on my body and are ultimately dead-end jobs.

And of course there's the "cheats"; I'd obviously invest money in stocks I knew are going to be successful, would focus on certain relationships that could have been more fruitful, and so on and so forth.

But mostly I would focus on my health and not get fat 😋 It was way too easy to get fat and is way too hard to keep it off.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3453 Posts

Yeah, my life is quite lacklustre, boring and lonely. If I could go back in time, I would take it. There's more to life than money and education.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17640 Posts

That depends. Would it take the exact same course?

I'm severely chronically ill, was since twenty with a pretty horrific diagnosis. It's not something I'd care to repeat. If I could be the same person with the assurance that wouldn't befall me, yes.

OmegaBlueUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 OmegaBlueUp
Member since 2006 • 499 Posts

I have thought about this type of scenario more than I should in the past, and I don't believe I would. The main reason is because I don't think I could recreate the circumstances that led to me meeting my wife and having my children.

I think that even if I tried, knowing the things I know now I may come off as stalkerish, not have much to ask, or appear creepy.

The movie About Time shows an interesting theory that if you travel back to a time before having a child, any change you make will likely result in a birth of a different child. The reason is that your change would inadvertently changes what sperm would impregnate the egg.

I know that in theory I could get a "better" wife and kids, but I don't think I could love them the same.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38662 Posts

no.

I don't think people are properly understanding how fucked up it would be to be an adult or nearly an adult re-living life as a kid.

How would that even work? Are you going to be an infant with the ability to walk and talk like an adult since you retain all those memories? Are you going to have to somehow pretend to be an infant so no one is aware you are actually an infant with adult memories? Are you an expert in child development and know when you should be pretending to have new cognitive abilities arise as to not raise suspicion? You would need to spend YEARS that way. basically akin to torture.

You would likely be bored out of your mind having to repeat years and years of basic education. You wouldn't enjoy childhood activities the way you did the first time around. Basically nothing about a re-lived life would be the same as the first time you did it because YOU would not be the same.

If your plan is to just wow everyone with your intellect and future knowledge as a 1 year old, expect to at best be locked up and forced to make predictions for those in power, at worst, have your brain dissected.

i'll pass

that being said, would i take the opportunity to pop back into my high school or college self for a bit to enjoy being young and responsibility free with a pain free functional body? hell yes. I just don't want to live that way.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15970 Posts

Yes I would. I would have stayed in high school instead of dropping out.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 607 Posts

Oh yes,. Maybe with my current knowledge i could have been able to avoid my fucked up teenage years. Dropping out of highschool and then having to graduate by taking equivalence exams.

It made me the person that i am now, and i don't think I would have achieved half as much otherwise, but if could be the same person i am know and not go through that, i would take it

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8732 Posts

Not sure yet. Got a lot ahead of me, I suspect.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2020 Posts

Only if i keep the knowledge i have now

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#11 Peasly
Member since 2004 • 554 Posts

I'd re-do from 2017 onwards. Things went a bit pants from then on..

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

If I could start over again, I'd want to be the same way I am now. If that makes since I wouldn't change my life for the world, and I know bad things happen, but you can survive it hopefully and it makes you who you are today.

And I'm an over-achiever I don't want to give up on my success as a person.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#13 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6073 Posts

No. I was bullied and abused for a large part of my life,if I can change mostly everything in my life I would but if I had to live everything over the same way then definitely not. Don’t think I’m able to live my life again? I had it hard for nearly my whole life.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58647 Posts

Nope.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 GNS  Online
Member since 2015 • 917 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Absolutely, on the condition that I a.) have the knowledge I have now, and b.) live the same years.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23706 Posts

Nah, at least not on those exact terms, or right now.

If I could wait until I get on in years and then the reset just takes me back to being a teen with what I know? Maybe. Probably. Could be a regretful choice in many ways, but I think I'd roll the dice on it.

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 407 Posts

I honestly don't know how I'd change anything. I think I'd be the same person and just as conflicted lol.

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 InEMplease
Member since 2009 • 7461 Posts

**** no

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

Honestly I think a "groundhog day" cycle that lasted like 90 years (or one solid lifetime) would be pretty great for a few thousand years, under the terms that you could end it when you wanted to.

You're born, at age 3 or whatever you start learning and remembering at a rate so by the time you're 13 you remember all your previous lives. Then you can just get high school done in a couple years and college done in three years (if you wanted to). Then you can go live your life the second you hit 18 years old.

Your knowledge would compound, so even though you would live the same years (say, 1980 to 2070), you'd be able to profit from your knowledge so you'd likely be able to see a lot of technological advancements that you normally wouldn't see until like 2500 or what have you.

I mean imagine spending three lifetimes studying cloning. Then studying astrophysics. Or whatever. You could contribute so much. And you could make smart investments and leave notes for your parents to make smart investments lol.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#20 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Yea, I think so, but as others have said I'd need to have current knowledge otherwise i'd probably end up making the same mistakes again.

I don't have many regrets, but there are a few choices I'd do differently, would like to see the alternate timeline there lol. Would mainly love to avoid the concussion I had a few years back that has impacted my life in a pretty major way since.