If the world had drugs legal.

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts

what would u see the world as if all drugs were legal? (weed, crack, cocain, metheidmy)

i could see the world crazy. people would just steel from people. the world would be poor because they would be spending all of thier money on drugs.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
Believe me,as I said before,though I have never done it I have been around quite a few long term hard drug users in my 31 years,and let me tell you that is not a world I would want to live in.
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

what would u see the world as if all drugs were legal? (weed, crack, cocain, metheidmy)

i could see the world crazy. people would just steel from people. the world would be poor because they would be spending all of thier money on drugs.

iam2green
You just basically stated what's happening right now....
allnamestaken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 allnamestaken
Member since 2003 • 6618 Posts
I used to do weed, but then I learned that doing marijuana is not a good thing if your family lineage has a history of mental illness. So I stopped.
Darth_Tyrev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Darth_Tyrev
Member since 2005 • 7072 Posts
I doubt things would change much. People who want to do drugs already do them.
Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

iam2green
Well in Amsterdam, almost everything is legal, and things are fine. Also if drugs were legal, they would be a lot cheaper because they would be easier to make.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

If all drugs were legal, prices would plummet; the government would reap tons of revenue from taxing their legal, regulated sale; people who are addicted wouldn't have to steal tons of money just to get their next hit; and people wouldn't have to worry about getting thrown in jail just because they happen to be in possession of some drug.

But, of course, that's far too positive an outcome for it to ever be considered by politicians.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Alcohol is legal and causes people to go crazy too. Saying the world will fall apart because narcotic substances, which are currently illegal, being made legal is a complete fallacy. People go crazy when things become illegal... look at prohibition and how that turned out.

Humanity has been chewing on plants and smoking narcotics for long before we settled down in cities and towns... if we could stay a working and prosperous community then, we would still be able to do it now.
freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
nothing. people who use drugs now will use em. people who dont still wont
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#11 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts
I think if drugs were legal worldwide, expect real life zombies.
links136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 links136
Member since 2004 • 2400 Posts

If all drugs were legal, prices would plummet; the government would reap tons of taxes from their legal, regulated sale; people who are addicted wouldn't have to steal tons of money just to get their next hit; and people wouldn't have to worry about getting thrown in jail just because they happen to be in possession of some drug.

But, of course, that's far too positive an outcome for it to ever be considered by politicians.

GabuEx

they'd rather spend taxpayers money throwing them in an overpopulated jail.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GabuEx
they'd rather spend taxpayers money throwing them in an overpopulated jail.links136

Of course, because as we all know, banning things completely eliminates their use off the face of the planet. Just look at Prohibition.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
I think anyone who's ever met real life junkies wouldn't really want to see an open market and falling prices of heroin.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GabuEx

I think anyone who's ever met real life junkies wouldn't really want to see an open market and falling prices of heroin.jimmyjammer69

Anyone who really wants to get their hands on heroin is perfectly able to do so today; making it legal would just bring it above ground and make it easier for those people both to get help and not to turn to crime. I'm a firm believer in the idea, evidence in favor of which is received from the Rat Park experiment, that drug use is a symptom, not a problem unto itself, and that the root problem is a life within which people feel they need drugs to escape. Making drugs illegal helps nothing.

garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts

The law was made subconsciously for the interests of rebels.

If drugs were legal, they'd be boring like cigarettes. Though the human race would probably be insanely stupid by the end of the century because of all the brain cells they would have lost. Street dealers would lose their customers. There would be a higher annual murder count because of the increased number of people taking mentally influential drugs, causing them to kill without use of their own free will...

Poedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Poedon
Member since 2002 • 2594 Posts
So TC you are saying the only reason you don't do drugs is because it's illegal? A lot of people wouldn't touch hard drugs becuase it wouldn't be so taboo if it were legal.
links136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 links136
Member since 2004 • 2400 Posts

If drugs were legal, they'd be boring like cigarettes. Though the human race would probably be insanely stupid by the end of the century because of all the brain cells they would have lost. Street dealers would lose their customers. There would be a higher annual murder count because of the increased number of people taking mentally influential drugs, causing them to kill without use of their own free will...

garathe_den

the number of people wouldn't increasee. Its actually likely to have the death toll go down without all the drug deals.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foxhound_fox
I think anyone who's ever met real life junkies wouldn't really want to see an open market and falling prices of heroin.jimmyjammer69

The illegal heroin market is supplying most of the financial support for the Taliban. If the illegal market disappears, then the Taliban run out of money, Afghani farmers make a proper income and the government can regulate and tax the substance. It is win-win for absolutely everyone but the bad guys... why this hasn't happened yet is beyond me.
Poedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Poedon
Member since 2002 • 2594 Posts
[QUOTE="garathe_den"]

I think there would be less muder. Just think of all the gangs that kill over drug and drug territory. It would eliminate the drug sector of the black market. or reduce it at the very least.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]I think anyone who's ever met real life junkies wouldn't really want to see an open market and falling prices of heroin.GabuEx

Anyone who really wants to get their hands on heroin is perfectly able to do so today; making it legal would just bring it above ground and make it easier for those people both to get help and not to turn to crime.

I really don't think that's true, people tend not to want to wade through the deluge, given the choice. creating a legal and open market would mean allowing sellers to create a desire that very often currently isn't there.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GabuEx

I really don't think that's true, people tend not to want to wade through the deluge, given the choice. creating a legal and open market would mean allowing sellers to create a desire that very often currently isn't there. jimmyjammer69

If heroin were legalized, it would be strictly regulated just as cigarettes are today. There is no evidence whatsoever in favor of the idea that making heroin legal would suddenly make everyone go out and become a heroin junkie.

People turn to heroin because of the state of their lives, and that will be the case regardless of whether heroin is legal or illegal. You want to lessen drug use, then improve the lives of those who use drugs; making the drug illegal just makes those people's lives even worse, all while empowering organized crime, too.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]I really don't think that's true, people tend not to want to wade through the deluge, given the choice. creating a legal and open market would mean allowing sellers to create a desire that very often currently isn't there. GabuEx

If heroin were legalized, it would be strictly regulated just as cigarettes are today. There is no evidence whatsoever in favor of the idea that making heroin legal would suddenly make everyone go out and become a heroin junkie.

People turn to heroin because of the state of their lives, and that will be the case regardless of whether heroin is legal or illegal. You want to lessen drug use, then improve the lives of those who use drugs; making the drug illegal just makes those people's lives even worse, all while empowering organized crime, too.

So you don't believe that the banning of nicotine would cut the number of smokers either? People turn to heroin for many reasons but ione of the key reasons is that it's available. Cutting off that availability should be the first priority in preventing drug abuse. Improving the lives of drug users really just means sanctioning their addiction. Don't know about you, but I don't want a nation of victims.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 foxhound_fox
So you don't believe that the banning of nicotine would cut the number of smokers either? People turn to heroin for many reasons but ione of the key reasons is that it's available. Cutting off that availability should be the first priority in preventing drug abuse. Improving the lives of drug users really just means sanctioning their addiction. Don't know about you, but I don't want a nation of victims.jimmyjammer69

It is that exact attitude to why there are so many misconceptions surrounding illegal substances. Nicotine/tobacco and alcohol do a lot more harm than many recreational drugs... yet they are highly regulated and perfectly legal.
gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gobo212
Member since 2003 • 6277 Posts
There are a multitude of reasons that drugs should legalized but the overriding one for me is that I simply don't believe that the government has any right to tell me what I can put into my body.
gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gobo212
Member since 2003 • 6277 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]I really don't think that's true, people tend not to want to wade through the deluge, given the choice. creating a legal and open market would mean allowing sellers to create a desire that very often currently isn't there. jimmyjammer69

So you don't believe that the banning of nicotine would cut the number of smokers either? People turn to heroin for many reasons but ione of the key reasons is that it's available. Cutting off that availability should be the first priority in preventing drug abuse. Improving the lives of drug users really just means sanctioning their addiction. Don't know about you, but I don't want a nation of victims.

So we criminalize the victims and throw them in jail for years and years instead?
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]So you don't believe that the banning of nicotine would cut the number of smokers either? People turn to heroin for many reasons but ione of the key reasons is that it's available. Cutting off that availability should be the first priority in preventing drug abuse. Improving the lives of drug users really just means sanctioning their addiction. Don't know about you, but I don't want a nation of victims.foxhound_fox

It is that exact attitude to why there are so many misconceptions surrounding illegal substances. Nicotine/tobacco and alcohol do a lot more harm than many recreational drugs... yet they are highly regulated and perfectly legal.

Maybe you'd like to answer the question then: do you think that nicotine addiction would increase or decrease if tobacco was banned? We're on the way to an outright smoking ban in all public places in much of Europe, and something tells me Philip Morris and the BAT aren't going to emerge as seedy street corner peddlers if tobacco is completely banned.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GabuEx

So you don't believe that the banning of nicotine would cut the number of smokers either?jimmyjammer69

Not substantially. Same as Prohibition - there's obviously no hard numbers on the subject, but really, anyone who wanted to get a drink during Prohibition could get one. And thank you for bringing up cigarettes, as well - by your logic, since nicotine is addictive and legal, shouldn't we have a nation of smokers on our hands? Because I'm not exactly seeing a huge problem there. In fact, now that cigarettes are commonplace and everyone is aware of the harm of smoking by this time, cigarette use has gone way down - and all without banning a single cigarette.

People turn to heroin for many reasons but ione of the key reasons is that it's available. Cutting off that availability should be the first priority in preventing drug abuse. Improving the lives of drug users really just means sanctioning their addiction. Don't know about you, but I don't want a nation of victims.jimmyjammer69

How do you propose cutting off availability? Making it illegal? It already is illegal. Making it more illegal? Well, that's what the War on Drugs has been all about, and here we are, with billions upon billions of dollars wasted, tons of people in prison just for using drugs, and no improvement of the root situation in sight whatsoever. The War on Drugs has been, bar none, the biggest sham of the entire 20th century. It was brought in for the noblest of intentions, but it has been a complete and utter failure in every possible regard, just like Prohibition. It's really about time we tried something new.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 foxhound_fox
Maybe you'd like to answer the question then: do you think that nicotine addiction would increase or decrease if tobacco was banned? We're on the way to an outright smoking ban in all public places in much of Europe, and something tells me Philip Morris and the BAT aren't going to emerge as seedy street corner peddlers if tobacco is completely banned.jimmyjammer69

It would increase. There is a certain thrill to doing something illegal, especially if it makes you feel good on top of it. If all drugs were legal and restricted to the privacy of your own home, then there would be no illegal markets, no violent crime associated with either the selling or buying of the substances and use would drop significantly.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]So you don't believe that the banning of nicotine would cut the number of smokers either?GabuEx

Not substantially. Same as Prohibition - there's obviously no hard numbers on the subject, but really, anyone who wanted to get a drink during Prohibition could get one. And thank you for bringing up cigarettes, as well - by your logic, since nicotine is addictive and legal, shouldn't we have a nation of smokers on our hands? Because I'm not exactly seeing a huge problem there. In fact, now that cigarettes are commonplace and everyone is aware of the harm of smoking by this time, cigarette use has gone way down - and all without banning a single cigarette.

Maybe you'd disagree with this, but I'd say that almost a quarter of American men smoking isn't a massive achievement. Hopefully, we'll have some statistics from Europe to compare with if we ever successfully force a full smoking ban over here.

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]People turn to heroin for many reasons but ione of the key reasons is that it's available. Cutting off that availability should be the first priority in preventing drug abuse. Improving the lives of drug users really just means sanctioning their addiction. Don't know about you, but I don't want a nation of victims.GabuEx

How do you propose cutting off availability? Making it illegal? It already is illegal. Making it more illegal? Well, that's what the War on Drugs has been all about, and here we are, with billions upon billions of dollars wasted, tons of people in prison just for using drugs, and no improvement of the root situation in sight whatsoever. The War on Drugs has been, bar none, the biggest sham of the entire 20th century. It was brought in for the noblest of intentions, but it has been a complete and utter failure in every possible regard. It's really about time we tried something new.

I can't really comment on how the war on drugs was conducted, without reading up a bit but as far as I'm aware, a lot of it involved private contracted militia, which is kind of laughable. You're right that I can't offer an easy solution, but a sincere approach to eradication at source or even leaving things in their current state are infinitely better than legalization.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 foxhound_fox
I can't really comment on how the war on drugs was conducted, without reading up a bit but as far as I'm aware, a lot of it involved private contracted militia, which is kind of laughable. You're right that I can't offer an easy solution, but a sincere approach to eradication at source or even leaving things in their current state are infinitely better than legalization.jimmyjammer69

Eliminating the source would be exponentially more costly than what the current method of "prevention" entails. Not only financially but economically... it would make several nations completely collapse.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]I can't really comment on how the war on drugs was conducted, without reading up a bit but as far as I'm aware, a lot of it involved private contracted militia, which is kind of laughable. You're right that I can't offer an easy solution, but a sincere approach to eradication at source or even leaving things in their current state are infinitely better than legalization.foxhound_fox

Eliminating the source would be exponentially more costly than what the current method of "prevention" entails. Not only financially but economically... it would make several nations completely collapse.

But cocaine and opium can hardly be seen as acceptable cash crops for the US to trade, can they?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 foxhound_fox
But cocaine and opium can hardly be seen as acceptable cash crops for the US to trade, can they?jimmyjammer69

The world wide cocaine market is worth over 70 billion dollars.
Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
I don't think it would that much different than it is now. I mean, right now anyone wo wants those drugs can get them fairly easy...making it legal wouldn't change much.
TheWakingArmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheWakingArmy
Member since 2009 • 73 Posts

GabuEx

You logic leaves much to be desired. I must admit, I would find it hard to take what you've said seriously with a straight face.

I am not here to debate whether or not making such a drug legal would turn everyone into addicts. We both know that this would never be the case. There are two sides to every coin and this is where your argument persists. Both sides are clearly defined but as we can clearly see, there is something in between. An area of grey so to speak. I speak of the undecided. Those kids who have a lapse in judgement for only a moment. Legalizing heroin would greatly increase attainability. You cannot deny the simple logic here. I assure you, you would think twice about leaving a loaded gun in front of a child. I fail to see the difference in this case. All it would take is a careless adult and a child. I am not going so far as to say that this is an impossibility as of right now, it surely isn't.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts
Well, there would definitely be less crime.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GabuEx

You logic leaves much to be desired. I must admit, I would find it hard to take what you've said seriously with a straight face.

I am not here to debate whether or not making such a drug legal would turn everyone into addicts. We both know that this would never be the case. There are two sides to every coin and this is where your argument persists. Both sides are clearly defined but as we can clearly see, there is something in between. An area of grey so to speak. I speak of the undecided. Those kids who have a lapse in judgement for only a moment. Legalizing heroin would greatly increase attainability. You cannot deny the simple logic here. I assure you, you would think twice about leaving a loaded gun in front of a child. I fail to see the difference in this case. All it would take is a careless adult and a child. I am not going so far as to say that this is an impossibility as of right now, it surely isn't.

TheWakingArmy

Sure, I would think twice about leaving a loaded gun in front of a child.

I would not make guns illegal as a consequence.

What you're arguing is in favor of the strict regulation of drugs like heroin, just like cigarettes are regulated today. Not their full-out illegality. Making heroin legal does not exactly necessitate handing it out to kids at carnivals.

shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts
medical marijuana ^_^
TheWakingArmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheWakingArmy
Member since 2009 • 73 Posts
[QUOTE="TheWakingArmy"]

GabuEx

Sure, I would think twice about leaving a loaded gun in front of a child.

I would not make guns illegal as a consequence.

What you're arguing is in favor of the strict regulation of drugs like heroin, just like cigarettes are regulated today. Not their full-out illegality. Making heroin legal does not exactly necessitate handing it out to kids at carnivals.

You are dancing around the point. My point solely rests on the degree of attainablity. If you saw a kid smoking a cigarette, you would not think twice. It is really rather common. This is the nature of your argument, you go so far as to say that this kind of legalization is alright. Permittting heroin to the extent that cigattes are. This is where I find great flaw in your argument.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 foxhound_fox
You are dancing around the point. My point solely rests on the degree of attainablity. If you saw a kid smoking a cigarette, you would not think twice. It is really rather common. This is the nature of your argument, you go so far as to say that this kind of legalization is alright. Permittting heroin to the extent that cigattes are. This is where I find great flaw in your argument. TheWakingArmy

The only flaws in this discussion are your arguments. You base your entire position on the "if it's illegal it must be bad" idea. Both alcohol and tobacco present more health effects than many of the illegal substances... hell, even morphine, a legal opiate, is as addictive if not more so than heroin.

Saying people will do it just because its legal doesn't make any sense whatsoever. There is evidence to suggest that regardless of its legality, there are people that are going to do it.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
Well in The Netherlands some drugs ("softdrugs") are legalized. Nothing other than less convictions is the difference.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GabuEx

You are dancing around the point. My point solely rests on the degree of attainablity. If you saw a kid smoking a cigarette, you would not think twice. It is really rather common. This is the nature of your argument, you go so far as to say that this kind of legalization is alright. Permittting heroin to the extent that cigattes are. This is where I find great flaw in your argument.

TheWakingArmy

I really don't know what you're saying here. Of course, if you treated heroin like cigarettes, there would inevitably be some kids who get their hands on it. But here's the thing: nicotine is as addictive as either heroin or cocaine. That is a hard, scientific fact. By your logic, therefore, we should be banning cigarettes to keep them away from kids.

The fact of the matter is this, however: when minors get a cigarette in that manner, they are already doing so illegally. Kids are not obtaining cigarettes legally any more than people are obtaining heroin legally. Needless to say, this all comes back to the question of whether making the acquisition of a drug illegal really impedes someone from getting it who wants it.

Besides that, as well, the benefits of legalizing heroin are numerous:

- Heroin use will become above-ground, making it much less problematic for addicts to find help.

- Heroin prices will plummet, making addicts not need to resort to crime just to get their next fix.

- Large amounts of government revenue will be gleaned from the regulated sale of heroin.

- Heroin users will no longer be pointlessly put in jail, an act that renders their life only more messed up and makes them more likely to continue their heroin use.

- A major pillar of funding for both terrorism and organized crime - the drug trade - will completely vanish overnight.

You're welcome to assert that we should keep heroin 100% illegal because if we don't then people will get their hands on it and we'll have all these addicts on our hands, but the facts don't weigh that out. Amsterdam has legalized marijuana, and one might expect their rates to be huge as a result, right? Wrong: marijuana use in Amsterdam is estimated to be half of that in America, where marijuana is 100% illegal.

Meanwhile, in Switzerland, a study was done in which the government prescribed heroin to long-time addicts to monitor the effects of such a thing. They found a number of interesting facts:

1. Over the course of the study, the health of the addicts improved dramatically.

2. Heroin itself appeared to cause few problems when administered in a controlled fashion and in hygenic conditions.

3. The addicts' cravings were not insatiable; when offered nearly unlimited amounts of heroin, the addicts naturally regulated their doses.

The study was so successful at improving the situation, in fact, that it swayed people who were previously opponents to approve a broadening of the program.

If you want to bring weight to your argument that we should continue to ban all drugs and that that will produce the best outcome for society, you're really going to have to start coming up with facts and figures of your own - an argument cannot be sustained indefinitely purely on unsubstantiated assertions.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#43 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts
...an argument cannot be sustained indefinitely purely on unsubstantiated assertions.GabuEx
The type of dialogue you are currently promoting is NOT the off-topic that i have come to know and cherish during the past few months! *hmpf!* :(
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
[QUOTE="TheWakingArmy"]

GabuEx

I really don't know what you're saying here. Of course, if you treated heroin like cigarettes, there would inevitably be some kids who get their hands on it. But here's the thing: nicotine is as addictive as either heroin or cocaine. That is a hard, scientific fact. By your logic, therefore, we should be banning cigarettes to keep them away from kids.

The fact of the matter is this, however: when minors get a cigarette in that manner, they are already doing so illegally. Kids are not obtaining cigarettes legally any more than people are obtaining heroin legally. Needless to say, this all comes back to the question of whether making the acquisition of a drug illegal really impedes someone from getting it who wants it.

- Heroin use will become above-ground, making it much less problematic for addicts to find help.

- Heroin prices will plummet, making addicts not need to resort to crime just to get their next fix.

- Large amounts of government revenue will be gleaned from the regulated sale of heroin.

- Heroin users will no longer be pointlessly put in jail, an act that renders their life only more messed up and makes them more likely to continue their heroin use.

- A major pillar of funding for both terrorism and organized crime - the drug trade - will completely vanish overnight.

You're welcome to assert that we should keep heroin 100% illegal because if we don't then people will get their hands on it and we'll have all these addicts on our hands, but the facts don't weigh that out. Amsterdam has legalized marijuana, and one might expect their rates to be huge as a result, right? Wrong: marijuana use in Amsterdam is estimated to be half of that in America, where marijuana is 100% illegal.

Meanwhile, in Switzerland, a study was done in which the government prescribed heroin to long-time addicts to monitor the effects of such a thing. They found a number of interesting facts:

1. Over the course of the study, the health of the addicts improved dramatically.

2. Heroin itself appeared to cause few problems when administered in a controlled fashion and in hygenic conditions.

3. The addicts' cravings were not insatiable; when offered nearly unlimited amounts of heroin, the addicts naturally regulated their doses.

The study was so successful at improving the situation, in fact, that it swayed people who were previously opponents to approve a broadening of the program.

If you want to bring weight to your argument that we should continue to ban all drugs and that that will produce the best outcome for society, you're really going to have to start coming up with facts and figures of your own - an argument cannot be sustained indefinitely purely on unsubstantiated assertions.

And you say you're not worthy of the Pianist award.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#45 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts
And you say you're not worthy of the Pianist award.aliblabla2007
zomg dont say stuff like that, itll go straight to his head! :P
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="TheWakingArmy"]

GabuEx

Well, of course making drugs illegal impedes somebody who wants it from getting it. Back to the comparison with murder: do you think that there would be no significant rise in the number of killings if murder was made legal? I think that nicotine is an excellent case in point (thank you for bringing that one up ). Close to 25% of American males are smokers - I think most who've tried it will agree it's a pretty pointless but highly addictive and costly habit. And why did most smokers start? Because smoking was sanctioned by the state, becauseit was legal and available.

The benefits of legalizing heroin (I can't believe I even have to argue this with somebody) are illusiory in the real world.

1) The idea that being above ground means that heroin addicts will get help more easliy

Do you know how few addicts ever recover from their addictions? Rehab is a joke, only being effective in a tiny number of cases after the spending of enormous amounts of money. The other "help" is the doling out of methadone, which is just as addictive as heroin.

2) Heroin prices will plummet, so addicts will no longer need to resort to crime to feed their habit

This is true, but it will also increase the spectrum of users. It will make smack addiction a realistic possibility for everyone. If you've met junkies before, you'll probably agree that a nation full of addicts wouldn't be so far off the zombie invasion posters used to posts about so often.

3) Addicts self-regulate their dose. Build up of tolerance is universal.

Higher doses are required by the user, who, contrary to the impression given in your argument, is not a responsible physician, carefully medicating the ills of society, but a pathetic will-less animal. In short, the study proves that the state could successfully keep heroin addicts supplied with heroin, but what does that achieve? Who is supposed to pay for the heroin you propose flogging to them, because believe me, heroin addicts aren't going to work to support their habit.

It's no solution at all,it's the last, desperately inhumaine move of a suicidal capitalist economy.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="aliblabla2007"]And you say you're not worthy of the Pianist award.BiancaDK
zomg dont say stuff like that, itll go straight to his head! :P

He definitely is, but like a proud barrister he seems to get the most satisfaction fighting for the obviously guilty party.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
It would be even worse than the current situation.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

If the drugs were legalized some of its "prestige" (if you wanna cll it that) will be gone; because a thing that makes people do drugs is that it's something forbidden (not the only factor for sure).

So if they are legalized we would deffinetely have higher crime rates, not necessarily out of being poor as the TC said, but if you are "high" on drugs you don't control yourself and you might start having criminal behaviour.

DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DrSponge
Member since 2008 • 12763 Posts
Let me put it this way: I don't avoid drugs (the kind of drugs you're talking about) because they're illegal.