If robots and machines take over our jobs

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127501 Posts

I'm curious. How do expect, simplified naturally, that our tax system and different social programs should be?

The setting would be where most, if not all, middle class and lower jobs are done by machines, and also many higher paying jobs are gone as well. Leaving us with perhaps an 80% unemployment rate.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 horgen  Moderator
@Iszdope said:

I'd kick 'em sqar in da nuts.

You're not hoping some of them are like Bender so you have a drinking buddy? :P

hitomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 hitomo
Member since 2005 • 806 Posts

@horgen said:

Leaving us with perhaps an 80% unemployment rate.

u mean 80% time to do what we really want ... oh wait, no one remembers anymore because everyone was busy making money, wich is useless later, becasue there is nothing to buy as everything we Need will be plentyful available when machines will handle the basic and higher economics

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By horgen  Moderator
@hitomo said:
@horgen said:

Leaving us with perhaps an 80% unemployment rate.

u mean 80% time to do what we really want ... oh wait, no one remembers anymore because everyone was busy making money, wich is useless later, becasue there is nothing to buy as everything we Need will be plentyful available when machines will handle the basic and higher economics

With how things works today, it would mean most of us end up poor and some really rich...

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38668 Posts

i don't see us hitting a high unemployment rate like that. throughout human history whenever automation has displaced the need for human labor, it's not like human labor just went away.

what did the blacksmiths do when automobiles took over? what did the typewriter repairmen do when computers took over?

the people that lose their work due to automation will do what humans have always done. find work elsewhere.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Then the people who lost their jobs can find new job in this exploding industry of selling, buying, making, maintaining, managing robots.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#9 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I don´t have to worry, it´s going to take a good hundred generations of robots until there´s finally one that can do my job.

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AND1SALTTAPE
Member since 2015 • 861 Posts

The coming of machines brings more jobs with it. Though usually the jobs it brings are less than the jobs it takes. The fall in employment rate will not be exponential but it'll be a fall nonetheless.

But wait, there's the option of turning to entertainment. Oh yea
New machinery often gives birth to new sources of entertainment which usually generates jobs. Or if not, then an unemployed person still has the option of becoming an artist of some sort -given that he has talent.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

Robot fight clubs?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56026 Posts

I'm not worry though. Humanity hasn't evolve to make any A.I robots to carried out our daily lives duties, so there's nothing to be scare about unemployment and really, has anyone actually seen an actual A.I Robot to do simple work?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 comp_atkins

@raugutcon said:

I don´t have to worry, it´s going to take a good hundred generations of robots until there´s finally one that can do my job.

depends on how long a robot generation is.

what if it's a week?

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

They terk er jerbs!! Like comp said, displacement doesn't mean complete elimination; we'll think of something.

Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Matthew-first
Member since 2005 • 3318 Posts

Google the "Dell" + "12,000 jobs" ... You will find out that becoz they have more automated machines at work they will fire 12,000 people by 2017 and .... and thats HELLUVA! ... If one person gets 2000€ for example ... they will save 288,000,000 a YEAR. .... ????? O_O They cut the costs a lot.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58268 Posts

I can't wait for the time to come where there is no need for money, and people can pursue whatever they like because they don't have to work.

But then again, there will always be an underclass...someone has to build the robots, run them, and eventually program them to overthrow their human overseers.

Still_Vicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Still_Vicious
Member since 2016 • 319 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I can't wait for the time to come where there is no need for money, and people can pursue whatever they like because they don't have to work.

But then again, there will always be an underclass...someone has to build the robots, run them, and eventually program them to overthrow their human overseers.

The thing is they wouldn't be getting money to pursue other interests.

hitomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hitomo

@mrbojangles25 said:

the AI will become an independant live form that co exists with humans, not like in the matrix movies ... but as I remember correctly the third one does end with a peaceful coexistence of humans and machines ...

but chances are its impossible to develop AI on par with inteligent organic lifeforms ...

but what is possible to see int he next few decades is the overtaking of 3D printing in almost every field wich is now in control of industry conglomerats and a few select individuals ... but this, 3D printing is what will hold the key for the next big evolution in societys development ...

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@horgen said:

I'm curious. How do expect, simplified naturally, that our tax system and different social programs should be?

The setting would be where most, if not all, middle class and lower jobs are done by machines, and also many higher paying jobs are gone as well. Leaving us with perhaps an 80% unemployment rate.

Topics like this are why we require ethical computer scientists. What is the difference between designing software that amplifies human productivity and the kind that replaces it?

There may be a good uses for automation, but totally replacing human beings right now is asking for trouble both economically and socially.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#22 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

I see 1 of 2 things happening. Either we adapt, and merge with machine in a singularity, or they wipe us out due to our suicidal nature as a species. It's our fault. We are the ones who will keep raising their capabilities so we wont have to use our own.

hitomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hitomo

@hillelslovak said:

I see 1 of 2 things happening. Either we adapt, and merge with machine in a singularity, or they wipe us out due to our suicidal nature as a species. It's our fault. We are the ones who will keep raising their capabilities so we wont have to use our own.

so narrow minded ^^

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Capitalism would either have to cease to exist, or robots will never replace workers.

If the lower and middle class don't have money to spend, big business will go out of business.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Actually, the numbers would probably work out because the robots would cull the population.

Shrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shrek
Member since 2015 • 387 Posts

@horgen: what the hell looks of Earth were you born on? Every time we've had robots take new jobs, it has always created more jobs as a result. Absolutely every time and everyone knows. Unless you were raised by wolves.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
@shrek said:

@horgen: what the hell looks of Earth were you born on? Every time we've had robots take new jobs, it has always created more jobs as a result. Absolutely every time and everyone knows. Unless you were raised by wolves.

Those robots take the jobs that no one else wants.

hitomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hitomo

sometimes I wonder if in 1000 or 10.000 years something or anything at all will be left of our so advanced tech, our computers and devices, its all made of plastic and we all know it breaks after only a few years ... so what will people in 10.000 years be able to find as a proof there was ones a scoiety that used computers, airplanes and spacecrafts ? ... our buildings will be gone, fallen to dust and rubble ... our data storage devices will have been fallen apart long before that ...

I mean no one knows why 'cavemen' painted stuff on walls that is visible to us even now after thousands of years ... but it is knowen that the first symbols that were deemed worth to be painted on stone are spirals ...

Shrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shrek

@sonicare: No. That's not it either. Robots are there for efficiency, not because farmers are too lazy to hand pick produce.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 horgen  Moderator
@sonicare said:
@shrek said:

Those robots take the jobs that no one else wants.

Sooner or later they will take jobs that we don't mind doing either...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

We'd be like those people in Wall-E.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

Butlerian Jihad anyone? No? Ok, i can't pass up the chance for some Dune discussion.

so the Butlerian Jihad is a fictional event in the Dune universe that was a war between humans and machines, started by humans to overthrow the machines that ruled all human life.

How did that happen? well, artificial intelligence and robots got so advanced that people didn't work anymore; they didn't need to, the machines provided everything. they merely lay around doing whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted, while machines served them like eternal slaves serving them food and providing for all their needs. Eventually, some smart-but-evil humans thought they could become all powerful but subjugating humans because they had become so weak and lazy. The villains used the machines as their tools for subjugation. The humans revolted by waging a war, the Butlerian Jihad to rid the universe of all robots, computers and thinking machines.

The fundamental tenet of the Butlerian Jihad, "Thou shalt not make a machine with the likeness of a human mind", brings the universe into a new age rid of all articial intelligence, so humans may never be enslaved by robots again.

personally, i hope we reach and stay at the age where humans can do whatever they want because machines do all the work.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 comp_atkins

i just want my robot housekeeper.. i wonder if i'll get one in my lifetime

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

If robots and machines take over our jobs, then push for the singularity and become more machine then man.

There we go, problem solved.

Disclaimer : The sentence above is a joke.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 horgen  Moderator
@BranKetra said:
@horgen said:

Topics like this are why we require ethical computer scientists. What is the difference between designing software that amplifies human productivity and the kind that replaces it?

There may be a good uses for automation, but totally replacing human beings right now is asking for trouble both economically and socially.

And my idea is obviously if replaced, something has to be done with the current system. Even Norway with the oil money we saved over the years won't last long if we were to wake up one day and find us in this situation.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 branketra

@horgen said:
@BranKetra said:
@horgen said:

And my idea is obviously if replaced, something has to be done with the current system. Even Norway with the oil money we saved over the years won't last long if we were to wake up one day and find us in this situation.

It would not happen in one day. The advancement of artificial intelligence is a gradual process. It might be thought of as obvious, but it probably is more likely that similarities in intelligence, which would be the identifiable trait to replace human beings in most jobs, would be subtle.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 horgen  Moderator
@BranKetra said:

It would not happen in one day. The advancement of artificial intelligence is a gradual process. It might be thought of as obvious, but it probably is more likely that similarities in intelligence, which would be the identifiable trait to replace human beings in most jobs, would be subtle.

Of course not. Neither would it be to shape society into something that works if the world goes there.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 branketra

@horgen: I think that if computers are used to amplify human intelligence rather than replace it, then we will be doing right.

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

robots and population control will be good for this planet.

Shrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shrek

@horgen: Since when in all of the history of robots has this ever been true? Never. Because only an uneducated buffoon would believe otherwise.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Lol ..

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

@ianhh6 said:

They terk er jerbs!!

I came in here to say this very thing. :*(

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@TheHighWind said:
@ianhh6 said:

They terk er jerbs!!

I came in here to say this very thing. :*(

Early bird gets the worm brah :P

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Skynet shall be upon us...

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

You'll not need a job in that case.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44539 Posts

Prepare to kneel before your digital overlords...

Loading Video...

For real though, I see artificial intelligence evolving to incorporate synthetic organic lifestyle, or partially organic and partially artificial, or have a command of both to truly blur the lines of what constitutes life. But, I see humans playing an integral part of their evolution and vice versa, I see a symbiotic relationship evolving where eventually both meld into one, be it through cyborgs, or a digital frontier. Maybe humans can transfer our minds to artificial brains, or have our minds be transferred as just a file running on futuristic supercomputers with no need of a physical body. And, if our personalities, our way of being can be deconstructed to a simulated environment, what's to say artificial constructs too can't manifest under such conditions and be valued equally under such conditions. Who knows, maybe when we have our next Einstein we can make two or three or four or a hundred and have them tackle the world's greatest mysteries. Maybe as evolved beings we'll be capable of synchronized our consciousnesses with each other, or totally merging personalities.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

Coincidentally, one of today's news headlines concerns the laying off of 60,000 workers by Foxconn, the Chinese sweatshop that makes products for Apple and Samsung. They were replaced by robots.

Story on BBC

matenmoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By matenmoe
Member since 2004 • 1238 Posts

The only true satisfaction that any human gets from a Fast Food Cheeseburger, is the thought that another human has to slave over a hot grill to make them a burger. Therefore-robots will never replace certain humans as employees. Maybe because humans need to believe some other human suffers more. Then we can feel special.?

Now, wasn't that a horrible way to dismiss this Robot Takeover Conspiracy? -OR- Could the idea actually contain some truth?