If race, gender, sexual persuasion, don't matter, why should your name?

#1 Posted by JustPlainLucas (78796 posts) -

I'm sure most of us by now have heard of the girl named Abcde that was mocked by a Southwest Airlines employee. If you haven't, here's a link. Everyone who's shared this story on my feed were more upset over the parent naming her child Abcde than they were about the employee making fun of them. And that bothers for some reason.

Yes, naming your child after a string of alphabet letters is a bit... unusual... but I don't think that it's worth the Internet hate it's been getting, especially when people put that before outrage that should go towards the airline employee. I get the argument that if you name your child a really strange name, you're only making life harder for them as they'll be targets of bullies and then have a higher chance of being passed over for job applications, but... does your name really matter?

We're living in a society where acceptance is being pushed harder than it ever has before. Same sex marriage continues to spread. We're fighting for more and more human rights for all races and ethnicities. We're even learning more about the gender spectrum. We're trying to make everyone understand that people need to be accepted for who they are. Yet, some of these social justice advocates on my feed who push tolerance freak out over a parent naming their child Abcde... Seriously?

We shouldn't have to avoid naming our children unusual names to protect them from being bullied or making job searching harder. We should instead continue to promote acceptance. Yeah, we're all going to see someone named Abcde and have reactions, but instead of laughing and humiliating them, we should use that moment as a conversation start. "Abcde? Wow, what an usual name? What's the story behind that? How do you pronounce it?" (it's Ab-city by the way, which sounds pretty if you ask me).

What do you think?

#2 Edited by mrbojangles25 (42343 posts) -

So I have lived with a black roommate for a period of time at this point. Me, being white, and her black, enjoy talking about our cultural differences (in appreciation, of course :) ). So one night we brought this up after watching the excellent Key and Peele skit Substitute Teacher about names and the interesting names.

Anyway, she comes from humble roots in the Bay Area (aka the ghetto) and she said it is no joke; you got ladies popping kids out at a ridiculous rate for welfare checks, and they don't give a shit. They call their kids all kinds of things, sometimes as jokes. Yes, you have mothers giving their hour-old son or daughter a joke name. I think the best example was a kid named Shithead, except they did it Shi'thead. Yes, I am serious. She went to school with kids named Shithead. Kids that were named Shithead by their mom.

Their excuse is that it reads Shithead, but when you pronounce it, you're supposed to say it "shee-thee-ahd"....Shi'thead Jones.

But wait, it gets better! The mom often comes to regret this choice because she was probably doped up when giving birth, so she teaches her child to be outraged if anyone calls her daughter "Shithead". No no no...it's Shee-thee-ahd, and if anyone calls you Shithead, you give 'em a piece of your mind.

So when Southwest punks on someone for being named ABCDE, I don't think it's right, but I think it's totally understandable.

#3 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19649 posts) -

People act virtuous to make themselves feel better about themselves and to show others that they're better than most; when in reality, they're just self-righteous towards some ideologies. Virtue can also be used a weapon if wielded as such to assassinate the character of someone they do not like.

Eventually that virtuous behavior is called out (in contradiction of their virtuous philosophy) when they do something bad towards another individual that goes against the consensus of their hive-minded peers. A bit of reflection occurs within the hive-mind, and that new founded philosophy will refine the old.

#4 Posted by SOedipus (11185 posts) -

Wow, what a stupid name. What were the parents thinking? Why not just name their kid, in print, Abcity or Glutevillage then? That would be badass.

#5 Posted by Byshop (19175 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

So I have lived with a black roommate for a period of time at this point. Me, being white, and her black, enjoy talking about our cultural differences (in appreciation, of course :) ). So one night we brought this up after watching the excellent Key and Peele skit Substitute Teacher about names and the interesting names.

Anyway, she comes from humble roots in the Bay Area (aka the ghetto) and she said it is no joke; you got ladies popping kids out at a ridiculous rate for welfare checks, and they don't give a shit. They call their kids all kinds of things, sometimes as jokes. Yes, you have mothers giving their hour-old son or daughter a joke name. I think the best example was a kid named Shithead, except they did it Shi'thead. Yes, I am serious. She went to school with kids named Shithead. Kids that were named Shithead by their mom.

Their excuse is that it reads Shithead, but when you pronounce it, you're supposed to say it "shee-thee-ahd"....Shi'thead Jones.

But wait, it gets better! The mom often comes to regret this choice because she was probably doped up when giving birth, so she teaches her child to be outraged if anyone calls her daughter "Shithead". No no no...it's Shee-thee-ahd, and if anyone calls you Shithead, you give 'em a piece of your mind.

So when Southwest punks on someone for being named ABCDE, I don't think it's right, but I think it's totally understandable.

Nobody in a position of customer service should ever mock a customer, and if you mock a kid in front of them then you're kind of a dick, but as a parent maybe don't name your kid something that will result in them being mocked by people who aren't bound by the rules of customer service. It reminds me of a classic SNL skit with Nick Cage.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/baby-names/n10279

-Byshop

#6 Posted by MrGeezer (59702 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

My problem with this is, it's not like she named HERSELF abcde. I agree that it's worth ridicule to name your kid with a joke name because you don't give a s***, but it's not as if the kid is in on the joke. The kid is the butt of a joke made by their own parents. That's tragic as hell.

However, if someone changes their own name to something stupid like that, then by all means ridicule the hell out of them.

#7 Posted by SaltSlasher (525 posts) -

People actually care what some random ass person said about some other random ass person?!? Why cause it was a worker saying it to someone with a dumb name who was a customer? If I was the person with a dumb name, I certainly wouldn't want people to care, cause then everyone in world would know my dumb name.

If people want to name their kids something dumb, and the kid doesn't like it, they can change it, but surely they shouldn't have expected every last person to not laugh at how stupid it is.

Maybe I'm not work, but I'm in camp that says you name your kid something people can actually pronounce.

#8 Posted by mrbojangles25 (42343 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

My problem with this is, it's not like she named HERSELF abcde. I agree that it's worth ridicule to name your kid with a joke name because you don't give a s***, but it's not as if the kid is in on the joke. The kid is the butt of a joke made by their own parents. That's tragic as hell.

However, if someone changes their own name to something stupid like that, then by all means ridicule the hell out of them.

True, the named person has no real choice in the matter.

@Byshop said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Nobody in a position of customer service should ever mock a customer, and if you mock a kid in front of them then you're kind of a dick, but as a parent maybe don't name your kid something that will result in them being mocked by people who aren't bound by the rules of customer service. It reminds me of a classic SNL skit with Nick Cage.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/baby-names/n10279

-Byshop

Fair point, that's just bad customer service. And flying is all about service. Or used to be.

#9 Posted by Jacanuk (17003 posts) -

@JustPlainLucas said:

I'm sure most of us by now have heard of the girl named Abcde that was mocked by a Southwest Airlines employee. If you haven't, here's a link. Everyone who's shared this story on my feed were more upset over the parent naming her child Abcde than they were about the employee making fun of them. And that bothers for some reason.

Yes, naming your child after a string of alphabet letters is a bit... unusual... but I don't think that it's worth the Internet hate it's been getting, especially when people put that before outrage that should go towards the airline employee. I get the argument that if you name your child a really strange name, you're only making life harder for them as they'll be targets of bullies and then have a higher chance of being passed over for job applications, but... does your name really matter?

We're living in a society where acceptance is being pushed harder than it ever has before. Same sex marriage continues to spread. We're fighting for more and more human rights for all races and ethnicities. We're even learning more about the gender spectrum. We're trying to make everyone understand that people need to be accepted for who they are. Yet, some of these social justice advocates on my feed who push tolerance freak out over a parent naming their child Abcde... Seriously?

We shouldn't have to avoid naming our children unusual names to protect them from being bullied or making job searching harder. We should instead continue to promote acceptance. Yeah, we're all going to see someone named Abcde and have reactions, but instead of laughing and humiliating them, we should use that moment as a conversation start. "Abcde? Wow, what an usual name? What's the story behind that? How do you pronounce it?" (it's Ab-city by the way, which sounds pretty if you ask me).

What do you think?

I think any parent who names their kid something insane like abcde should be charged with child abuse. They must know they are setting the kid up for abuse during their childhood and also early adulthood, kids are cruel to each other and a name like that is bound to cause bullying.

With that said though, it´s of course never ok for an adult to behave the way of that employee and that person should lose their job.

#10 Posted by SoNin360 (6938 posts) -

I dunno if that comparison works for me. A name is something you have to tell other people when you introduce yourself. And it's something people that you know address you by. Having an absurd name is going to make your life kind of a pain. So yeah, I think it's dumb to give your kid such a bizarre name. I don't think the kid deserves to be made fun of or anything, but a parent should realize that their kid is going to get a lot of unwanted attention if they name them something really stupid.

#11 Posted by Ovirew (8394 posts) -

I kind of like how Abcde sounds, "Abcity", it's different. Of course the mom probably should have anticipated someone would make fun of a name comprised of the first 5 letters of the alphabet.