if given way too much change, what would you have done?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
I was talking to this guy, and he was telling me how he just recently went to the movies and he usually sneaks in food and drink because concessions are so expensive, but he was in a rush to get to the theater and didn't bring anything to eat or drink to this long movie that was going to be around three hours long plus previews, so he decided to splurge on a popcorn, soda, and a water for his friend. The total for all three came out to $18.50, he hands the cashier a $20 bill and the cashier is poking at the screen all confused, then when the drawer finally pops open looks surprised, then looks at the digital display that reads $18.50, so the cashier hands the customer $18.50 in change... for a $20. So just in case you missed that the cashier gave what should have been $1.50 in change instead gave $18.50, a $17 difference in what should have been given. Now, this guy just stands there slack jawed for a moment like "did that just happen", palm still up and out with the money sitting on top of it, and since he was the last one in that line the cashier darted off to the back to never be seen again. The movie was about to start, he didn't want to miss previews, and it didn't look like the cashier was going to come back so he could point out the mistake, so he just pocketed the money and made into the movie with the concessions. Now, there was only one right thing to do in this situation and this person obviously didn't do it. If you were placed in a similar situation, would you have done the right thing?
Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts
Hell no, I'd take the money and run, I enjoy stealing. Giving back is only for the extreme goody-two-shoes.
johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

If the cashier hadn' t left I would probably correct him. Since he went to the back though I wouldn' t refuse a gift from fate :P It' s not like I would chase him to give the money back.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Indeed, the right thing to do was reporting the guy who decided the prices to the authorities for extortion.

UltimateWeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UltimateWeb
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I was working at a movie theater one time and I did that exact thing. I gave the guy his $20 back (I think) instead of the change. I realized at the last second while I was after handing the $20 back and I asked him if I gave him his change back and he didnt know like a total moron. So I just gave him back his change to avoid a stupid situation and had to go to the ATM on my break and put in my own $20.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I was talking to this guy, and he was telling me how he just recently went to the movies and he usually sneaks in food and drink because concessions are so expensive, but he was in a rush to get to the theater and didn't bring anything to eat or drink to this long movie that was going to be around three hours long plus previews, so he decided to splurge on a popcorn, soda, and a water for his friend. The total for all three came out to $18.50, he hands the cashier a $20 bill and the cashier is poking at the screen all confused, then when the drawer finally pops open looks surprised, then looks at the digital display that reads $18.50, so the cashier hands the customer $18.50 in change... for a $20. So just in case you missed that the cashier gave what should have been $1.50 in change instead gave $18.50, a $17 difference in what should have been given. Now, this guy just stands there slack jawed for a moment like "did that just happen", palm still up and out with the money sitting on top of it, and since he was the last one in that line the cashier darted off to the back to never be seen again. The movie was about to start, he didn't want to miss previews, and it didn't look like the cashier was going to come back so he could point out the mistake, so he just pocketed the money and made into the movie with the concessions. Now, there was only one right thing to do in this situation and this person obviously didn't do it. If you were placed in a similar situation, would you have done the right thing?lamprey263

Was this person you per chance? > :P

That part where the cashier darts off too fast for the friend to do the right thing, I don't buy it for a second. He could have said something right during the transaction, or yelled before the guy left. He also could have sought the guy out AFTER the movie if he was so intent on doing the right thing. I've had that happen to me many times before, and I just correct them and work with them if I can.

Honestly, I would give it back. It's bad juju.

The Guy is going to be written up and maybe fired, I don't want to think about that later or during the movie. It could ruin a perfectly good movie as I would be thinking about that moment in time instead of watching the flick in front of me.

I was working at a movie theater one time and I did that exact thing. I gave the guy his $20 back (I think) instead of the change. I realized at the last second while I was after handing the $20 back and I asked him if I gave him his change back and he didnt know like a total moron. So I just gave him back his change to avoid a stupid situation and had to go to the ATM on my break and put in my own $20.UltimateWeb

This is the kind of thing I want to avoid, hurting someone else for a few bucks. I just wanted to see a movie. :P

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

If they give me too much change, I'm keeping it. It's their own fault. I'm not about to fix their mistakes at their own job.meconate

You motherf*cker. Really? Youve never made a mistake at your job? Can't believe Im reading these replies. Have any of you EVER worked cash register? You lose money, you can lose your job.

Honestly, sincerely, you would rather keep 20$ that isnt yours- rather than make the effort to give it back and help someone else.

I want to talk to all of your parents. Right now.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
give it back my shaft is pure can't stain it with OT's garbage
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#11 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts
Hell no, I'd take the money and run, I enjoy stealing. Giving back is only for the extreme goody-two-shoes.Toph_Girl250
Agree.
FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
This happened to me multiple times, and I always return the money.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lamprey263
Yes, I have worked at a cash register, and I don't see what's so difficult to find the exact change that is shown right in front of you.meconate
no need to gloat, a 10 year old could have made exact change in their head in this instance, those were some pretty round numbers
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lamprey263
[QUOTE="lamprey263"][QUOTE="meconate"]Yes, I have worked at a cash register, and I don't see what's so difficult to find the exact change that is shown right in front of you.meconate
no need to gloat, a 10 year old could have made exact change in their head in this instance, those were some pretty round numbers

How am I gloating? I wasn't referring to your post, I was answering his question.

sorry you weren't gloating I was only kidding, but yeah I agree making exact change isn't a huge deal
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Would have given him $17 back.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
I would do the right thing, which is keep the money that was given to me. I'm not going to help an incompetent cashier do his job at my own expense. If I was his boss though I would consider firing him.
Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts
What kind of cashier just gives that amount of money back anyway? I don't think one should be working that kind of job if they have math skills as poor as that.
seahorse123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 seahorse123
Member since 2012 • 1237 Posts
It depends if it was a local store or a hotdog stand yes I would give it back but if it was a big supermarket chain I would not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I would do the right thing, which is keep the money that was given to me. I'm not going to help an incompetent cashier do his job at my own expense. If I was his boss though I would consider firing him.Laihendi

The right thing would be to give the money back. Just because the cashier made a mistake doesn't justify your actions.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I would've probably just given him the money back, because I'm an honest and good person.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

I wait until I find another cashier who gives me too much change. After that, I round up both cashiers and force them to play Russian Roulette against each other; the winner gets all the extra change back.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

if i got that much back, id probly give it back.

but really how can you be that stupid? i mean you know what the customer purchased. it sure as hell didnt cost just a couple bucks. makes you wonder how much more money hes given away.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
My friend has this happen to him. Except the wrong change amount was a hundred dollars. He kept every penny.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I would do the right thing, which is keep the money that was given to me. I'm not going to help an incompetent cashier do his job at my own expense. If I was his boss though I would consider firing him.airshocker

The right thing would be to give the money back. Just because the cashier made a mistake doesn't justify your actions.

I wouldn't have to justify my actions, because the mistake would be made by the cashier and I would be in no way responsible for it. Also, why should someone who gives back $17 extra in change be covered for by his customers when there are plenty of more competent prospective employees who would be willing to take this guy's place if his boss fired him for giving away money?

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
Sounds like a fair price to me, so no.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
Give it back...
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Noticed while still within reasonable distance of place of transaction? Return it. Noticed after leaving and cost of returning exceeds that of which was miss-changed? Keep it. Had the OP's event happened to me, I would have sought a manager and returned the right amount. That is a gross oversight. A few cents isn't really worth it, but more than a dollar or two? An independent business might need every dollar they earn.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I wouldn't have to justify my actions, because the mistake would be made by the cashier and I would be in no way responsible for it. Also, why should someone who gives back $17 extra in change be covered for by his customers when there are plenty of more competent prospective employees who would be willing to take this guy's place if his boss fired him for giving away money?

Laihendi

Yes, you would. Because you know it's wrong to accept the wrong amount of change.

There's no gray areas here. You either give the money back in order to get correct change, or you're a piece of sh*t.

You've demonstrated that you are, indeed, a sh*tty human being.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

airshocker

Yes, you would. Because you know it's wrong to accept the wrong amount of change.

There's no gray areas here. You either give the money back in order to get correct change, or you're a piece of sh*t.

Please explain why it is wrong.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
It isn't my fault if they screw up and give me too much money. One time I returned a broken PSP 1000 I had purchased the day before to Gamestop, intending to use the return credit and pay the difference towards a new PSP 2000. It should have cost me about 25 dollars out of pocket, but when I returned the 1000 the Gamestop guy handed me my original purchase amount as well as the brand new 2000. There is nothing deceptive or violent about accepting what someone else hands to you. It isn't my problem if they meant to give me less.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

airshocker

There is nothing wrong about it. They handed me free money. I don't care why or how, it isn't my concern. I made no mistake, I initiated no force, I did nothing dishonest. It was their mistake and I let them make it. That's all there is to it.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

It depends if it was a local store or a hotdog stand yes I would give it back but if it was a big supermarket chain I would not.seahorse123

You do realize that cashier at that big supermarket chain is a local person right?

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 worlock77

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

Laihendi

Please explain why it is wrong.

It's theft.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts
depends.. if i noticed right when it occurred i'd give it back ( done so a few times before already ).. if i just took the money and put it in my pocket and didn't notice until much later on. i'd probably keep it. i'm too lazy to make a trip back to the place to return it.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
I wouldn't have to justify my actions, because the mistake would be made by the cashier and I would be in no way responsible for it. Also, why should someone who gives back $17 extra in change be covered for by his customers when there are plenty of more competent prospective employees who would be willing to take this guy's place if his boss fired him for giving away money?Laihendi
Regardless of if the guy deserves the job, you still know that you don't deserve the money. If nothing else, the "right" thing to do is to find a manager, give HIM the money back, and then report the mistake. That'd sort of be a dickish thing to do, but at least you wouldn't be just trying to profit off of a slipup. This is like when someone has $60 in the bank, but due to an error the decimal point gets misplaced and they end up with $6000 in their account. I bet you'd be one of the people who goes "woo-hoo, free money", and then tries to spend it all before someone discovers the error.
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
If I realized I was given too much change I'd give it back, but I don't usually check how much change I get back anyway.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I generally don't notice until I'm out of the store. If I do notice I just give it back.

It's rare because I hardly ever pay with cash anymore.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#39 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

I generally don't notice until I'm out of the store. If I do notice I just give it back.

It's rare because I hardly ever pay with cash anymore.

Aljosa23
cash is so 1950's.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
Im taking the money. Its the cashier's fault
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Zeviander
It's theft.worlock77
Since when? What if the person receiving the change didn't notice until much later? Perhaps even after the business cashed out for the end of the day and ate up the discrepancy? A mistake does not imply theft. I would only return a more substantial sum (such as a few dollars, if still in the business) out of respect of the transaction. I should only pay for what product/service I received.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

It's theft.

worlock77

Only if you're aware that they gave you more change. Otherwise, naw.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
I'd give it back. Otherwise I might feel something called guilt when I punch someone for stealing something from me. It is no different than someone pulling out their wallet and something falls out such as money or Credit Cards. A mistake is a mistake. If you know it is a mistake, then return it. If not, then when someone does the same to you, don't whine.
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CreasianDevaili
[QUOTE="worlock77"]It's theft.Zeviander
Since when? What if the person receiving the change didn't notice until much later? Perhaps even after the business cashed out for the end of the day and ate up the discrepancy? A mistake does not imply theft. I would only return a more substantial sum (such as a few dollars, if still in the business) out of respect of the transaction. I should only pay for what product/service I received.

Hmm dunno where you're from but many places here, such as gas stations and the like, make the employee who has the discrepancy replace the lost money. If it is over, the establishment of course keeps it. But under, employee has it deducted from their next paycheck.
IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 IdioticIcarus
Member since 2012 • 2167 Posts

I would give it back. It is the employee who will be in trouble at the end of the day when the money in the register doesn't match up.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Zeviander
Hmm dunno where you're from but many places here, such as gas stations and the like, make the employee who has the discrepancy replace the lost money. If it is over, the establishment of course keeps it. But under, employee has it deducted from their next paycheck.CreasianDevaili
Canada. Most unions would eat an employer alive if they did that to an employee. But it makes sense to punish the employee for their mistake. Makes them less likely to do it the next time.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]It's theft.Zeviander

You should learn to read in context dude. The context here is the premise of the thread: a man receiving too much money back from a transaction, knowing that he has recieved too much money, and pocketing that money instead of pointing out the mistake. Yeah, that's theft.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeviander"] Canada. Most unions would eat an employer alive if they did that to an employee. But it makes sense to punish the employee for their mistake. Makes them less likely to do it the next time.

Personally, if I were the employee in question, I wouldn't be complaining about having to make up the difference with my own money. Like you said, there's a good chance they'll be punished somehow. Worst case scenario, that could mean getting fired. I'd much rather lose money during one shift than to lose my job.
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 CreasianDevaili
[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"]Hmm dunno where you're from but many places here, such as gas stations and the like, make the employee who has the discrepancy replace the lost money. If it is over, the establishment of course keeps it. But under, employee has it deducted from their next paycheck.Zeviander
Canada. Most unions would eat an employer alive if they did that to an employee. But it makes sense to punish the employee for their mistake. Makes them less likely to do it the next time.

..and many of them do the mistake because they don't care and yeah they should pay. For me however I often find that they do not ring everything up sometimes. I've had to go back in to have them ring up an item that they forgot to. Had one girl who put 30 on my prepay and I only paid for 20. She was the only clerk with a packed station. So at times, being overworked and understaffed, I can't entirely fault them.
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#50 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

A nice person would've given it back but it was also his fault for not paying attention to how much change he gave back. In the end of the day the cashier probably got written up for having to little money in the register.