I went to a Muse concert last night...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StaticPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

User Lists: 0

#1 StaticPenguin
Member since 2004 • 3433 Posts

They were amazing! They performed in Duluth, GA and they sound really good. Silversun Pickups opened for them and they sounded pretty good too which is surprised me because I didn't really expect much from them. It was my first concert so the excitement is finally wearing off.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts

Nice. I went to a Yes concert TONIGHT :P

JonnyEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JonnyEagle
Member since 2009 • 1196 Posts
Who's Muse?
Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
I'd love to see Muse live.
joao_22990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 joao_22990
Member since 2007 • 2230 Posts
Muse are amazing live. Best thing about them.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Who's Muse?JonnyEagle
I'm not particularly familiar with either band myself.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts
Who's Muse?JonnyEagle
Arena rock...ish band. :P They're pretty good. :)
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

[QUOTE="JonnyEagle"]Who's Muse?battlefront23

Arene rock? So they're like Journey, Foreigner and Asia?

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

Pirate700

Eh, sort of. It's pretty hard to put them under a label because their stuff is pretty diverse, but think of a band kind of like the Killers. Except better imo.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

They were amazing! They performed in Duluth, GA and they sound really good. Silversun Pickups opened for them and they sounded pretty good too which is surprised me because I didn't really expect much from them. It was my first concert so the excitement is finally wearing off.

Raikoh_
I'm seeing them in Toronto on the 8th :) Glad you had a good time :D
Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

Seeing them April 1st myself. I'm glad to hear you liked them. I wish they'd place at a bigger venue... GM Place, instead of the Pacific Coliseum.

Oblivionfan10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 Oblivionfan10
Member since 2008 • 6327 Posts
Cool. They always seemed like they would be a great live band. As to what DivergeUnify said... Lucky!!
Hopkins_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hopkins_J
Member since 2007 • 2030 Posts
Their fans are annoying.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

[QUOTE="battlefront23"][QUOTE="JonnyEagle"]Who's Muse?Pirate700

Here's them playing one of their better known songs They're not completely in the old school arena rock sound, but it's a pretty accurate description I suppose.
Ninja-Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ninja-Bear
Member since 2010 • 1028 Posts
I've seen Muse three times, and i gotta say their current tour was a big step down for them. Flashier stage production but they really reeled in their performance with the same set list at every show and very little passion to their show. They've gotten too big and too popular if you ask me, they were once a very awesome and innovative rock band and now they act like they're U2.
Ninja-Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ninja-Bear
Here's a classic Muse song performed live for anyone who wants a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99I7gpswhQ4&feature=channel
PistolGripPump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PistolGripPump
Member since 2009 • 199 Posts

Raikoh_
I get to see them in April! STOKED! :D
metalpower08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 metalpower08
Member since 2007 • 1254 Posts
[QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Arena rock...ish band. :P They're pretty good. :)battlefront23

Here's them playing one of their better known songs They're not completely in the old school arena rock sound, but it's a pretty accurate description I suppose.

they have some awesome rock anthemy stuff that's for sure. But I agree with you they are more diverse than Journey, Foreigner etc..
Avatar image for Elephant_Couple
Elephant_Couple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Elephant_Couple
Member since 2010 • 1404 Posts

Repetetive, no motif development, shallow hooks, rhythmically dumb, uncreative, and way overrated.

metalpower08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 metalpower08
Member since 2007 • 1254 Posts

Repetetive, no motif development, shallow hooks, rhythmically dumb, uncreative, and way overrated.

Elephant_Couple
well this is subjective... Just for comparitive reasons who are your favourite artists?
Ninja-Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ninja-Bear

Elephant_Couple
You're allowed to not like something, but giving factual reasons for why is never a good idea when it comes to something as subjective as music. For one: 1) Repetitive - how so? They have yet to produce an album which wasn't markedly different from the last. 2) No motif development - because a lack of recurring themes = bad music. :? 3) Shallow hooks - they very rarely use hooks at all, only in the one or two singles they release from each album which typically are catchier and have more mainstream appeal. I wouldn't call Plug in Baby a 'shallow hook' by any stretch. 4) Rhythmically dumb - we're just fleshing out a list of baseless criticisms here. Would rhythmically dumb not imply bad beats? Do they not have an incredibly gifted drummer? Yes, they sure do. Let's take a look at pretty much any live video for proof of that, not to mention on their current tour where the man has his own three-minute drum solo. 5) Uncreative - their latest album is a concept album about love existing in an age or worldwide turmoil, and features a Queen-esque song about the uniting of Asia and Europe, a french piano jazz song, a tribute to Oh Vienna by ultravox and ends with a 15 minute three-part symphony about a group of scientists gathering up as many people as they can and leaving Earth. How much more creative can you possibly get? 6) Subjective. *washes hands*
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
Nice. I've heard they are one of the best live bands.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

Raikoh_

Im going to see them on April, but the only reason is for Silversun Pickups. I am very glad you liked them because they are an amazing band. Good first concert experience. :P

Elephant_Couple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Elephant_Couple

[QUOTE="Elephant_Couple"]

Ninja-Bear

You're allowed to not like something, but giving factual reasons for why is never a good idea when it comes to something as subjective as music. For one: 1) Repetitive - how so? They have yet to produce an album which wasn't markedly different from the last. 2) No motif development - because a lack of recurring themes = bad music. :? 3) Shallow hooks - they very rarely use hooks at all, only in the one or two singles they release from each album which typically are catchier and have more mainstream appeal. I wouldn't call Plug in Baby a 'shallow hook' by any stretch. 4) Rhythmically dumb - we're just fleshing out a list of baseless criticisms here. Would rhythmically dumb not imply bad beats? Do they not have an incredibly gifted drummer? Yes, they sure do. Let's take a look at pretty much any live video for proof of that, not to mention on their current tour where the man has his own three-minute drum solo. 5) Uncreative - their latest album is a concept album about love existing in an age or worldwide turmoil, and features a Queen-esque song about the uniting of Asia and Europe, a french piano jazz song, a tribute to Oh Vienna by ultravox and ends with a 15 minute three-part symphony about a group of scientists gathering up as many people as they can and leaving Earth. How much more creative can you possibly get? 6) Subjective. *washes hands*

You have a very un-musical understanding of everything I said. Just as one example, beats have nothing at all to do with rhythm; nor does being good at playing such a simplistic style of music make someone an "incredibly gifted drummer." I just felt the need to address that, since I am a drummer of 18 years. The rest of your responses are equally as misguided. Go learn, then return.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

[QUOTE="Ninja-Bear"][QUOTE="Elephant_Couple"]

Elephant_Couple

You have a very un-musical understanding of everything I said. Just as one example, beats have nothing at all to do with rhythm; nor does being good at playing such a simplistic style of music make someone an "incredibly gifted drummer." I just felt the need to address that, since I am a drummer of 18 years. The rest of your responses are equally as misguided. Go learn, then return.

Nice to see another drummer (I've been a drummer for 10 years) however no need to act so elitist and harsh.

I personally don't like Muse but no need to bash someone else because they do.

Elephant_Couple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Elephant_Couple

[QUOTE="Elephant_Couple"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Bear"] You're allowed to not like something, but giving factual reasons for why is never a good idea when it comes to something as subjective as music. For one: 1) Repetitive - how so? They have yet to produce an album which wasn't markedly different from the last. 2) No motif development - because a lack of recurring themes = bad music. :? 3) Shallow hooks - they very rarely use hooks at all, only in the one or two singles they release from each album which typically are catchier and have more mainstream appeal. I wouldn't call Plug in Baby a 'shallow hook' by any stretch. 4) Rhythmically dumb - we're just fleshing out a list of baseless criticisms here. Would rhythmically dumb not imply bad beats? Do they not have an incredibly gifted drummer? Yes, they sure do. Let's take a look at pretty much any live video for proof of that, not to mention on their current tour where the man has his own three-minute drum solo. 5) Uncreative - their latest album is a concept album about love existing in an age or worldwide turmoil, and features a Queen-esque song about the uniting of Asia and Europe, a french piano jazz song, a tribute to Oh Vienna by ultravox and ends with a 15 minute three-part symphony about a group of scientists gathering up as many people as they can and leaving Earth. How much more creative can you possibly get? 6) Subjective. *washes hands*mexicangordo

Nice to see another drummer (I've been a drummer for 10 years) however no need to act so elitist and harsh.

I personally don't like Muse but no need to bash someone else because they do.

I didn't bash anyone in this thread. I stated my opinion about Muse.

Ninja-Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ninja-Bear
Oh puh-lease. The very notion that you can mathematically break down any piece of music into good or bad based on arbitrary criteria is completely out of touch with reality. The only thing you picked up on at all was my comment on Dom being a very good drummer; which he is. Your comment that rhythm has absolutely nothing to do with beats is inaccurate, also; syncopated rhythm has literally everything to do with the beat. Finally, my 'un-musical understanding' perplexes me as nothing else you said has anything to do with the technicalities of music; shallow, repetitive, uncreative, over rated. None of these things require classical training to comment on. Music is damn near entirely subjective; the notion that you can tell someone that X band is bad based on a list of pointless, arbitrary criteria which could be slapped onto any song is just silly.
Elephant_Couple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Elephant_Couple

Oh puh-lease. The very notion that you can mathematically break down any piece of music into good or bad based on arbitrary criteria is completely out of touch with reality. The only thing you picked up on at all was my comment on Dom being a very good drummer; which he is. Your comment that rhythm has absolutely nothing to do with beats is inaccurate, also; syncopated rhythm has literally everything to do with the beat. Finally, my 'un-musical understanding' perplexes me as nothing else you said has anything to do with the technicalities of music; shallow, repetitive, uncreative, over rated. None of these things require classical training to comment on. Music is damn near entirely subjective; the notion that you can tell someone that X band is bad based on a list of pointless, arbitrary criteria which could be slapped onto any song is just silly. Ninja-Bear

Syncopation of beats has nothing to do with rhythm, other than the fact that beats may be syncopated, and that any beat is in some rhythm. You can't syncopate the rhythm itself. You can certainly play syncopated beats in many different rhythms, but Muse has little to no rhythmic variation in their music at all, which is why I made the comment in the first place. Syncopation is a shallow gimmick when it only occurs within the same one or two rhythms. Motifs and repetition/shallow hooks (essentially the same thing) can be looked at mathematically and distinguished from one another very easily. "Uncreative" is an opinion of mine that results from a specific combination of these things that Muse embodies, or fails to embody, and "overrated" is an opinion of mine that results from the masses of people who worship them when most of their music has little more to it than a Nickelback song.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Paramore concert on friday! Looking forward to it
joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#31 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

Silversun Pickups are associating themselves with Muse? oh no... :(

cysf661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cysf661
Member since 2002 • 6599 Posts

How was yes?

Ninja-Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ninja-Bear

"Uncreative" is an opinion of mine that results from a specific combination of these things that Muse embodies, or fails to embody, and "overrated" is an opinion of mine that results from the masses of people who worship them when most of their music has little more to it than a Nickelback song.

Elephant_Couple
Shoot me a PM when Nickelback write a three-part symphony about space travel. As for Muse being uncreative and lacking in rhythm variation; just no: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGC_9nlCWl0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ok0expLH1o Never mind the fact that Bellamy is classically trained and wrote all of the orchestration on their last album himself. :roll: Yes, this man is most certainly in the same class as Nickelback: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WbvAOmFejc&feature=related Recorded live for the album with no post-production applied at all.