I want to get swol

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

I want to gain some muscular mass. I'm approximately 5'7" tall, and weigh approximately 135 LBs. If I were to consume whey protein powder on a daily basis, but rely solely on calisthenics and the physical labor I do at work (lifting rolls of fabric that weigh 30 to 50 LBs), would Igain any mass? I'm not interested in joining a gym at the moment, but will be in a few months when I've worked at my job long enough to receive the benefit of my employer paying for any gym membership I choose.What do you guys think?

EDIT:

I weighed myself about an hour ago on two scales, according to both of which I weigh 150 LBs with clothes on. I've gained weight in the past few months; the weight I originally reported was based on how much I weighed about 6 months ago (with 5 pounds deducted to compensate for clothing, because I was 140 LBs with clothing).

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

too short

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
You'd gain mass but whether that mass would be appealing is another thing.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
If calisthenics is anything like plyometrics, then sure. Need your carbs too to fuel them workouts. :3
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KiIIyou
It depends. If you consume more calories than you burn you will gain mass. You need to provide more information if you want a eal nswer,thegerg
Yeah. The hard part is finding out how many you need.
Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

Probably came to the wrong place for that question.

Do you have any specific goals in mind?

Calisthenics= what? Pilates? Plyometrics?

Lifting 30-50lb rolls of fabric will help a little, but probably won't make you "swol".

Consuming massive amounts of protein in itself won't really do much for you. As someone said, consuming more calories on a daily basis will make you gain weight, but with just lifting fabric it might not be the kind of weight you want.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
You're 5,7 and black? LOLwut.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

I'd say to put it off until you can get your gym membership. There might be ways to do it with just a ton of sit ups, push ups and pull ups though.

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
sounds dangerous
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
I'm approximately 5'7" tallBluRayHiDef
all you have to hope for is growing a long beard, donning a santa hat and sitting in someones garden
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KiIIyou
It's easy for shorties to get swoled compared to talls.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I'd say to put it off until you can get your gym membership.

nooblet69

when is "putting off" ever a good thing when it comes to exercises?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]I'm approximately 5'7" tallcheese_game619
all you have to hope for is growing a long beard, donning a santa hat and sitting in someones garden

:lol:

gamah_killah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gamah_killah
Member since 2006 • 13020 Posts
Actually, there's a lot of respectable bodybuilders around 5'6" and I wouldn't make fun of them.
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
Actually, there's a lot of respectable bodybuilders around 5'6" and I wouldn't make fun of them. gamah_killah
This man knows what he's talking about.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

too short

wis3boi
People with smaller frames show muscle easier, more noticeable on them. fffffs, just an excuse
wiliswene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wiliswene
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
You'd gain mass but whether that mass would be appealing is another thing.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 whiskeystrike

A year from now you're gonna wish you started today. Get that gym membership asap. Bodyweight exercises and light lifting will tone you but you won't be building any major mass.

You really wanna shock your body and build some muscle then you need the weights. If a gym is completely out of question you can get a decent range of used dumbells and work every part of your body you need to just doing those. You don't need a set that goes all the way up to 100 lbs right off the bat, that's far down the line.

You need to understand that

a) a few months of working out won't keep you in shape forever, this is a long term comittment

b) starting out is the hardest part of getting into a weightlifting routine. if you can stick it for the first few weeks then you should be good.

gamah_killah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gamah_killah
Member since 2006 • 13020 Posts

A year from now you're gonna wish you started today. Get that gym membership asap. Bodyweight exercises and light lifting will tone you but you won't be building any major mass.

You really wanna shock your body and build some muscle then you need the weights. If a gym is completely out of question you can get a decent range of used dumbells and work every part of your body you need to just doing those. You don't need a set that goes all the way up to 100 lbs right off the bat, that's far down the line.

You need to understand that

a) a few months of working out won't keep you in shape forever, this is a long term comittment

b) starting out is the hardest part of getting into a weightlifting routine. if you can stick it for the first few weeks then you should be good.

whiskeystrike
OP, to add to that, proper nutrition will help gain mass and will be no doubt 35-40% of the effort. If you want to be bigger, you will need to be in a calorie surplus, meaning you'll have to consume more calories than your usual amount on a daily basis. The kinds of food you'll take will determine whether you'll have a clean or dirty bulk. I wouldn't depend on whey protein itself. And I agree, this is no doubt a long term commitment. I've gained some good gains lately (15 lbs since summer) and I've been choosing my foods carefully as its gotten more difficult to stay lean. Challenging, but rewarding once you do it right. Good luck!
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

I want to gain some muscular mass. I'm approximately 5'7" tall, and weigh approximately 135 LBs. If I were to consume whey protein powder on a daily basis, but rely solely on calisthenics and the physical labor I do at work (lifting rolls of fabric that weigh 30 to 50 LBs), would I gain any mass? I'm not interested in joining a gym at the moment, but will be in a few months when I've worked at my job long enough to receive the benefit of my employer paying for any gym membership I choose.What do you guys think?

BluRayHiDef

Even without training, a diet higher in protein elicits increases in nitrogen stores eg: skeletal muscle mass. Obviously, training greatly enhances muscle accretion on a high protein diet.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

This is my current build. I don't know if it matters, but I've got a fast metabolism, so it's hard for me to gain weight.

cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
its hard for you not to be a manlet
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 whiskeystrike

This is my current build. I don't know if it matters, but I've got a fast metabolism, so it's hard for me to gain weight.

BluRayHiDef

greens will slow your metabolism.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

whiskeystrike

greens will slow your metabolism.

Where are you getting this information?

BluRayHiDef, if you have trouble gaining weight, you will need to increase your caloric intake, that's pretty simple. How you increase your daily total caloric intake doesn't really matter, as long as you are taking in enough protein for muscle synthesis (~15% of total caloric intake normally is enough, or 1.2-1.8 grams per kg of your own bodyweight).

I have to admit that I am a little niave concerning "bulks" what's the the difference between a "dirty" and "clean" bulk? Organic versus processed foods?

CreatureRising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#27 CreatureRising
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts

You won't get really appealing muscle mass doing just your job and protein shakes. You'll definitely be more cut and defined looking however you won't have the muscular look I think your going for.

If you want to get appealing muscle mass, then your gonna have to work out at a gym for several months or be very very very diligent about working out with own body stuff. Pull ups, push ups, crunches, dips. etc.

I'd recommend a gym just because alot more will be available to you and thus, you'll have a better work out. Another added benefit is other members will be there for you too ask questions to, as well as tell you if your doing improper form which they'll most likely correct you on. Plus at a gym more weights are avaliable to you, which if your looking to build muslce mass is what you'll be wanting to do.

If you do end up going the gym route in a few months when you can, start slow and remember to stick with it!