YeaImBack25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 YeaImBack25
Member since 2016 • 41 Posts

Maxima is at the top of the list,the only other similar car and looks just as good is the Chrysler 200 with the 3.6.Downfall is chrysler bad reputation.What other v6 sedans would yall recommend...no bmw,audi or benz.Budget is 16k

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Why a V6?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

16k in what currency?

Most new V6 cars I know of are at least US$30k nowadays.

Accord Coupe V6

Camry V6

Some Acura and Infiniti V6 coupes and sedans

Genesis coupe

Genesis sedan V6

Mustang and Camaro V6 coupes.

YeaImBack25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By YeaImBack25

@jun_aka_pekto: @MonsieurX: because I've noticed many v6s can keep up or are faster than v8s now a days.Im buying used...would never buy a brand new car

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@yeaimback25 said:

@jun_aka_pekto: @MonsieurX: because I've noticed many v6s can keep up or are faster than v8s now a days.Im buying used...would never buy a brand new car

You mean newer V6 cars can keep up with older V8s. Newer V8s have progressed as well. Most new V6 cars will need supercharging or turbocharging of some sort to keep up with current V8s.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@yeaimback25 said:

I'm interested to know which v6s and which v8s you are comparing to. IMO v6s will never be as fun and exciting as na v8s.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I will never understand why people want a fast sedan. Like you either want speed and get a sports car or you go for a sedan with great gas mileage and what not. I don't see the point of a fast sedan. You'll never be as fast as a sports car and you'll pay more in gas and insurance than an efficient sedan. NEVER buy a car just for bragging rights among friends.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

V6's are normally bought for fuel efficiency. If fuel efficiency isn't your concern, then why don't you go for a hearty and strong V8?

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@yeaimback25: Why not 4-cyl turbo? Better than V6 in most ways

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

this

there's only one 6-cylinder engine, and that's the inline-6 4.0 L that came in my Jeep, god rest her soul *cries*

YeaImBack25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By YeaImBack25

@R3FURBISHED: @tocool340: @jun_aka_pekto: Ive seen a 3.6 200 with just a tune hit 60 in 5 seconds flat that's quicker than an RT challenger.G37 with a v6 isn't fuel efficient at all and will keep up with plenty v8s.Cadillac Ats 2.0t is on my list if I can find one for a decent price.Im currently driving a v6 G8 and it actually is quick enough most of the time but its showing its age

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@R3FURBISHED said:

this

there's only one 6-cylinder engine, and that's the inline-6 4.0 L that came in my Jeep, god rest her soul *cries*

Now THAT is an engine!

@bmanva said:
@yeaimback25 said:

I'm interested to know which v6s and which v8s you are comparing to. IMO v6s will never be as fun and exciting as na v8s.

Not sure about him, but I have an ATS-V and I FW plenty of V8s. Porsche Cayman would be another BA V6. OP is right...since auto makers started to try to make cars more fuel efficient, the V6 has gotten a lot better, many turbo charged, etc.

@yeaimback25 said:

Maxima is at the top of the list,the only other similar car and looks just as good is the Chrysler 200 with the 3.6.Downfall is chrysler bad reputation.What other v6 sedans would yall recommend...no bmw,audi or benz.Budget is 16k

No sure how old you're willing to go, but you can get a Cadillac ATS '12-'13 for around $16k.
https://www.carmax.com/car/14294865

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@R3FURBISHED said:

They're not so good with weight. I don't mind turbos for small 2-seater coupes. But, I'm not a big fan of turbos for people haulers like sedans and SUVs. I find the current trend of such vehicles disturbing.

I had a turbocharged Diamond Star in the past. Sure, it kept up with V8 pony cars at the time. But, push forward several years and maintenance for turbo vehicles were more problematic. I've stuck with naturally aspirated engines since.

Besides, the OP wants a V6. ;)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@Toxic-Seahorse said:

I will never understand why people want a fast sedan. Like you either want speed and get a sports car or you go for a sedan with great gas mileage and what not. I don't see the point of a fast sedan. You'll never be as fast as a sports car and you'll pay more in gas and insurance than an efficient sedan. NEVER buy a car just for bragging rights among friends.

Where I live in AZ, every stop light is a potential grand prix. The cops don't usually care how quick you get to the speed limit so long as you don't spin your tires or wiggle the car (FWD torque steer).

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By R3FURBISHED

@yeaimback25: When you said quick sedan I thought Audi with an ECU tune, but I'm biased toward German motors.

I drive a VW GTI, which has basically the exact same engine as A4's of the same time period (as VW owns Audi and they share MQB) so I can attest to the capabilities of these engines when you give them something as simple as an ECU tune.

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Where I live in AZ, every stop light is a potential grand prix. The cops don't usually care how quick you get to the speed limit so long as you don't spin your tires or wiggle the car (FWD torque steer).

Too bad the roads are utter shit here, or at least in Phoenix.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bmanva

@itstotallymike said:

Now THAT is an engine!

@bmanva said:
@yeaimback25 said:

Not sure about him, but I have an ATS-V and I FW plenty of V8s. Porsche Cayman would be another BA V6. OP is right...since auto makers started to try to make cars more fuel efficient, the V6 has gotten a lot better, many turbo charged, etc.

If price is of no object, then obviously latest and greatest is the way to go. But the context is power of used car under 16k. I challenge anyone to show me an used turbo/sc v6 that's as fast as a Pontiac GTO which is a na v8. Sure, engine technology has gone a lot better and more efficient but things force induction will never beat naturally aspirated on are cost and simplicity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

@bmanva said:
@itstotallymike said:

Now THAT is an engine!

@bmanva said:
@yeaimback25 said:

If price is of no object, then obviously latest and greatest is the way to go. But the context is power of used car under 16k. I challenge anyone to show me an used turbo/sc v6 that's as fast as a Pontiac GTO which is a na v8. Sure, engine technology has gone a lot better and more efficient but things force induction will never beat naturally aspirated on are cost and simplicity.

In my defense, I did link an ATS for under $16k.

and lol. I challenge anyone the same thing. He just said recent V6s can keep up with faster V8s, which in a lot of cases is true. But yeah, you're right...a Camry V6 isnt going to outrun the judge...

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jun_aka_pekto
@R3FURBISHED said:

The roads in Tucson are pretty good except maybe at some parts of the old city near downtown. Everywhere else outside city limits, they're great, especially at the planned residential areas where they're usually four to six lanes.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
@yeaimback25 said:

@R3FURBISHED: @tocool340: @jun_aka_pekto: Ive seen a 3.6 200 with just a tune hit 60 in 5 seconds flat that's quicker than an RT challenger.G37 with a v6 isn't fuel efficient at all and will keep up with plenty v8s.Cadillac Ats 2.0t is on my list if I can find one for a decent price.Im currently driving a v6 G8 and it actually is quick enough most of the time but its showing its age

That is why I said V6's are NORMALLY used for fuel efficiency. I'm aware that some V6's have the fuel economy as a gas guzzling pickup truck. But if your aim is to go after those particular V6's, then you might as well shop for cars with V8's for practical reasons....

With that said, only vehicles I can think of that's in your price range that may float your boat are older model (2000-2012) Supercharged Grand Prix/Monte Carlo/Impala's, Cadillac ATS, Charger, Mustang GT's, 350 Z, Audi A4 or A6 Quattro, Maxima/Altima, Acura TL.....hell, your G8 should be pretty decent too. Why don't you give it a tuneup to see if it adds power?

Edit: Ah, hell. I forgot you said Sedan. Scratch all the coupes I named then...

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bmanva

@itstotallymike said:
@bmanva said:
@itstotallymike said:

Now THAT is an engine!

@bmanva said:
@yeaimback25 said:

In my defense, I did link an ATS for under $16k.

and lol. I challenge anyone the same thing. He just said recent V6s can keep up with faster V8s, which in a lot of cases is true. But yeah, you're right...a Camry V6 isnt going to outrun the judge...

True, but any V8 would be faster than the ATS.

I'd agree with the basic statement but it's not really comparing apples to apples if you ignore the cost difference. Doesn't have to be a camry, you can easily find a Genesis v6 under 16k and despite being a fast car, even that can't keep up with a 6.0L v8 GTO/Monaro which also can be had under 16k.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bmanva

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

I get why people would think that back in 70s before BMW made the m3 and changed everyone's opinion about the whole concept of a sport sedan.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I had a turbocharged Diamond Star in the past. Sure, it kept up with V8 pony cars at the time. But, push forward several years and maintenance for turbo vehicles were more problematic. I've stuck with naturally aspirated engines since.

With a tune you should have walked them dry.

YeaImBack25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By YeaImBack25

@bmanva: funny u mentioned a GTO because I saw an 05 for 13k...just don't know if I'd get such an old car

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R3FURBISHED

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@R3FURBISHED said:

The roads in Tucson are pretty good except maybe at some parts of the old city near downtown. Everywhere else outside city limits, they're great, especially at the planned residential areas where they're usually four to six lanes.

Well, bad compared to what is in Vegas. Vegas, usually, has very good roads. Oddly designed at some points, but good overall.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@thegerg said:

My turbo 4 people hauler is GREAT with weight. You can use the boost to get you moving, but once you're rolling it's not like you're still stuffing a ton of pressure into the motor just to keep cruising.

On freeways and empty highways? It's fine. But, in the stop and go traffic in the city, better get the boost going or else the drivers behind will pass you and get in front of you, sometimes a little too close for comfort. We have a lot of assholes during rush hour. Like shaving off a few seconds will get them to work much sooner.

Not as bad when I first got back in 2014 though. I still had New York license plates. There were a number of cars speeding up and cutting me off on purpose. The only time they backed off is when I gave one of them a taste of his own medicine and my middle finger.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@thegerg said:

@jun_aka_pekto:

That sounds like an issue with driving technique, honestly. Not a problem with engine configuration.

Wow, such a badass. You really showed them, huh?

They'll keep pushing if I didn't push back. We see each other often on the road because we all live in the same subdivision and have the same routine when going to work. At least now, we're all civil behind the wheel.

As for driving technique. At most other places I lived in, normal driving is fine. I'm not exactly sure why people in my area always seem to be in a hurry.

Another thing I noticed is I have lots of room behind me. Yet, some moron just had to pull into the short space between my car and the car ahead of me. I don't know if that would piss you off. It does me. I'm thinking, "Just like a dick....squeezing in where it's tight." I'm tying to have a nice easy drive to work and here's a dickhead who's hellbent on ruining my day.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29  Edited By scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

Preference for front/rear/all wheel drive? Manual or automatic? Open to Turbo 4s?

Last gen Mazda6 s

Last gen Ford Fusion Sport

Ford Taurus SHO/Lincoln MKS Ecoboost

Last gen Cadillac CTS

Pontiac G8

Acura TL/RL

Subaru Legacy 3.0R/3.6R (Flat sixes)

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts

Honda accord

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

Why not buy new? Usually you pay a lot of interest with used cars and they don't come with the warranties that new cars come with. I bought my car last year with 0 percent interest.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Why not a BMW? They're the best handling and driving cars of them all.

I've had my E46 M3 from new in 2004 and it's still as tight today as it was then and will still put most current cars to shame in real world driving situations.

gncalvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gncalvin
Member since 2017 • 50 Posts

2014 Volkswagen Passat V6

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

I've been looking at a lot of V6 cars lately:

Cadillac CTS

Lincoln MKZ (check reviews for the years you are interested in)

Nissan Altima

Toyota Avalon

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@thegerg said:

@jun_aka_pekto:

If someone is able to ruin your day by changing lanes in front of you, maybe you should see a doctor. That doesn't seem normal or healthy.

The guy came up from behind and then pulled into my lane. If there was plenty of room, I wouldn't care. But, he pulled in just as the car ahead of me and my car were coming to a stop. I had to slam the brakes because the moron took up whatever space I had left for a safe stop.

I was on the right lane and was planning to make a right turn. He was on the left lane. If he stayed there, he would have kept going in that direction. Assuming he wasn't being an asshole, I would guess he changed his mind at the last moment and decided he wanted to make a right turn too. He could've at least pulled in behind me where there was plenty of room.

Don't worry. It didn't ruin my day. On my way back, I was making a left turn. There were two turning lanes and I was up front and in the inside lane. A college chick (in a Mazda 3) was on the outside lane. When the light turned green, I proceeded normally with my turn, making sure I stayed in my lane. But, the chick on the outside lane wasn't paying attention. She pulled into my lane, causing me to slam my brakes. That caused a chain reaction of slammed brakes behind me. I went after the chick, cussed her out, and then sped off. When I looked behind me, 3 or 4 pickups and SUVs had boxed her in. I went home and stayed home for the rest of the day. ;)

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

16k in what currency?

Most new V6 cars I know of are at least US$30k nowadays.

Accord Coupe V6

Camry V6

Some Acura and Infiniti V6 coupes and sedans

Genesis coupe

Genesis sedan V6

Mustang and Camaro V6 coupes.

So true, 30K seems to be standard for 6 cylinder fast cars. I have resisted though, because i know that at the end, when it comes down for you to sell a car, in the future a buyer will prefer a V8.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@thegerg said:

@jun_aka_pekto:

And if that's enough to ruin your day, you might want to talk to a professional.

I got home, chilled with beer, watched sports, and played some PC games. I did wonder what happened to that chick. Well, she's still driving around. I guess they didn't kill her or break her bones. ;)

It's been more quiet lately....probably because the local HOA complained to the cops during the last meeting. Even a little police visibility does wonders for driver behavior.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@LexLas said:

So true, 30K seems to be standard for 6 cylinder fast cars. I have resisted though, because i know that at the end, when it comes down for you to sell a car, in the future a buyer will prefer a V8.

Yup. 30k for a V6 across the board.

Once the kids move out, I'm thinking of buying a car I can pamper and take out for a drive. I thought about a V8 pony car or maybe an STi. But, they're just cop magnets around here. Plus, they tend to attract the boy racer crowd who are just itching. So..... Nope.

My relatives prefer Acura and Infiniti (Honda and Nissan/Datsun). I figure something simpler like a V6 Accord coupe with MT would be fine to me. It wouldn't be out of place in Cali which we visit often.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#43 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

@l34052 said:

Why not a BMW? They're the best handling and driving cars of them all.

I've had my E46 M3 from new in 2004 and it's still as tight today as it was then and will still put most current cars to shame in real world driving situations.

These days, that would be Cadillac. We're really living in bizarro world.

YeaImBack25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 YeaImBack25

Decided to keep my car...got the paint touched up and rims coming in a few days