I Think Tipping is Stupid

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#151 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] I haven't. I have posted comment after comment about the immorality of altruism, self-sacrifice, theft, etc.Laihendi

Your idea that altruism is somehow immoral is both laughable and moronic.

Please explain how it is moronic to believe that the morality of suicide (self-sacrifice) is a bad thing.

How do you jump from altruism to suicide? :lol:
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts

[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]I wasn't aware that serving food required lying.

Laihendi

An insincere smile is a lie.
It helps keep the cost down. Educate yourself from your ignorance TC.LJS9502_basic
Please explain how paying extra money (taxes) keeps the cost down.

It is a lie, but like I said you maximize profit for your employer as the customers will likely want to return. So it's kind of expected in any service type job. and no I'm not belittling you, you have your views and I have mine. Why should I care that you're doing what makes you happy. but if it came down to it, I'd probably get hired over you because I can be myself yet still fake a smile when I need to. You should try to check out some restaurants though some places have really good food XD
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

chessmaster1989
Please explain how it is moronic to believe that the morality of suicide (self-sacrifice) is a bad thing.

Perhaps he doesn't know what the words mean?
Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Please explain how it is moronic to believe that the morality of suicide (self-sacrifice) is a bad thing.LJS9502_basic

Perhaps he doesn't know what the words mean?

look at his tumblr.

TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 TrainerCeleste
Also how did we go from tips to suicide and taxes? I don't care to read this thread.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 LJS9502_basic

It is a lie, but like I said you maximize profit for your employer as the customers will likely want to return. So it's kind of expected in any service type job. and no I'm not belittling you, you have your views and I have mine. Why should I care that you're doing what makes you happy. but if it came down to it, I'd probably get hired over you because I can be myself yet still fake a smile when I need to. You should try to check out some restaurants though some places have really good food XDTrainerCeleste
I'm not sure what world he lives in....but most jobs require one to play the game. Like I said....he best avoid the working ranks and just be homeless. He can be himself there.....

And why is smiling a lie anyway?

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 chessmaster1989
[QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"]Also how did we go from tips to suicide and taxes? I don't care to read this thread.

Lots of hyperbole and general stupidity on the part of Laihendi.
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 TrainerCeleste

[QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"]It is a lie, but like I said you maximize profit for your employer as the customers will likely want to return. So it's kind of expected in any service type job. and no I'm not belittling you, you have your views and I have mine. Why should I care that you're doing what makes you happy. but if it came down to it, I'd probably get hired over you because I can be myself yet still fake a smile when I need to. You should try to check out some restaurants though some places have really good food XDLJS9502_basic

I'm not sure what world he lives in....but most jobs require one to play the game. Like I said....he best avoid the working ranks and just be homeless. He can be himself there.....

And why is smiling a lie anyway?

He thought we were putting him down with those statements, when it is kind of the truth really. You can't be an ass at any job unless you're the CEO, but even then if you can't put on a façade of some sort no one is going to want to come back and buy from you anyway. It can be a lie though, I've had to smile at customers I want to scream at, but I don't mind it I have a job that helps keep me in school so I have no reason not to smile really. The customers who I hate do help in a small way because without all of them I wouldn't have a job anyway.
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 TrainerCeleste
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"]Also how did we go from tips to suicide and taxes? I don't care to read this thread.

Lots of hyperbole and general stupidity on the part of Laihendi.

another day on the OT? :P
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

So, we are back at square one. Government cannot ensure its own survival because it cannot maintain a military, nor a police due to the collective action problem.

coolbeans90
You are just making this up. No rational person will give up government enforcement of contracts just to avoid paying taxes unless the government is terrible.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

So, we are back at square one. Government cannot ensure its own survival because it cannot maintain a military, nor a police due to the collective action problem.

Laihendi

You are just making this up. No rational person will give up government enforcement of contracts just to avoid paying taxes unless the government is terrible.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Laihendi
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

chessmaster1989

Altruism states that it is good to sacrifice your own well being to serve others, and that it is therefore wrong to pursue your own self-interest when you could be pursuing the self-interest of others. Altruism states that the only justification for your life is giving to others at your own expense. Any person who does not pursue his own self-interest is incapable of sustaining his own life and may only live at the charity of others. Altruism is the morality of slavery and death.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Please explain how it is moronic to believe that the morality of suicide (self-sacrifice) is a bad thing.Laihendi

Altruism states that it is good to sacrifice your own well being to serve others, and that it is therefore wrong to pursue your own self-interest when you could be pursuing the self-interest of others. Altruism states that the only justification for your life is giving to others at your own expense. Any person who does not pursue his own self-interest is incapable of sustaining his own life and may only live at the charity of others. Altruism is the morality of slavery and death.

Laihendi doesn't understand anything but extremes.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#164 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

Why does it have to be one extreme or the other? I'm pretty sure I can tip my waiter/waitress and not go homeless. You can be generous and still have a F*** ton of money (See Bill Gates)...

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

You are just making this up. No rational person will give up government enforcement of contracts just to avoid paying taxes unless the government is terrible.Laihendi

The point being that if enforcement of contracts is so valuable no rational person will give that up, how can it possibly considered a voluntary tax? It's the economic equivalent of arguing humans voluntarily choose to drink liquids.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 chessmaster1989
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Please explain how it is moronic to believe that the morality of suicide (self-sacrifice) is a bad thing.

Wrong on all points. Altruism is contributing to the welfare of others without directly benefiting oneself (excepting for any "warm glow" feelings you get from having helped another). It's not a value statement that these contributions are "good", and it is by no means a statement that self-interest is bad. Altruism is not meant to be mandatory, and indeed it is not altruism if you feel forced to give. So in other words, you don't have a clue what altruism means. Not surprising.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"] How do you jump from altruism to suicide? :lol:Guybrush_3

Laihendi doesn't understand anything but extremes.

Not even a matter of extremes, it's a matter of not understanding what altruism is period.
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 TrainerCeleste

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"] How do you jump from altruism to suicide? :lol:chessmaster1989

Wrong on all points. Altruism is contributing to the welfare of others without directly benefiting oneself (excepting for any "warm glow" feelings you get from having helped another). It's not a value statement that these contributions are "good", and it is by no means a statement that self-interest is bad. Altruism is not meant to be mandatory, and indeed it is not altruism if you feel forced to give. So in other words, you don't have a clue what altruism means. Not surprising.

Dictionary definition: altruism |altrooizm|

noun

the belief in or practice of disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others: some may choose to work with vulnerable elderly people out of altruism.

So I agree with you Chess :) No need to be extreme

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"] How do you jump from altruism to suicide? :lol:chessmaster1989

If you believe that altruism is not meant to be coercive, then surely you must believe that all government-enforced social welfare programs (medicare, medicaid, social security, public schools, etc.) should be ended.

Even if altruism is presented as a choice, it is an immoral choice. Any act of charity is an act of self-sacrifice. Any act of self-sacrifice requires one to live for others rather than oneself. Anyone who does not find his own life to be inherently valuable is a tool to be used and thrown away by others.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

Yeah you have completely lost it, I'm done here.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Laihendi

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Altruism states that it is good to sacrifice your own well being to serve others, and that it is therefore wrong to pursue your own self-interest when you could be pursuing the self-interest of others. Altruism states that the only justification for your life is giving to others at your own expense. Any person who does not pursue his own self-interest is incapable of sustaining his own life and may only live at the charity of others. Altruism is the morality of slavery and death.TrainerCeleste

noun

the belief in or practice of disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others: some may choose to work with vulnerable elderly people out of altruism.

Perhaps you should look up the definition of "selfless" as well. No true altruist considers his own life to be inherently valuable. His only justification for his existence is to be used as a tool by others.
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 TrainerCeleste

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Altruism states that it is good to sacrifice your own well being to serve others, and that it is therefore wrong to pursue your own self-interest when you could be pursuing the self-interest of others. Altruism states that the only justification for your life is giving to others at your own expense. Any person who does not pursue his own self-interest is incapable of sustaining his own life and may only live at the charity of others. Altruism is the morality of slavery and death.Laihendi

If you believe that altruism is not meant to be coercive, then surely you must believe that all government-enforced social welfare programs (medicare, medicaid, social security, public schools, etc.) should be ended.

Even if altruism is presented as a choice, it is an immoral choice. Any act of charity is an act of self-sacrifice. Any act of self-sacrifice requires one to live for others rather than oneself. Anyone who does not find his own life to be inherently valuable is a tool to be used and thrown away by others.

So Extreme :O
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 TrainerCeleste
[QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"] Wrong on all points. Altruism is contributing to the welfare of others without directly benefiting oneself (excepting for any "warm glow" feelings you get from having helped another). It's not a value statement that these contributions are "good", and it is by no means a statement that self-interest is bad. Altruism is not meant to be mandatory, and indeed it is not altruism if you feel forced to give. So in other words, you don't have a clue what altruism means. Not surprising.Laihendi

noun

Perhaps you should look up the definition of "selfless" as well. No true altruist considers his own life to be inherently valuable. His only justification for his existence is to be used as a tool by others.

selfless |selfls| adjective concerned more with the needs and wishes of others than with one's own Now in either definition please bold where it says you must act upon these feelings please :)
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"] Wrong on all points. Altruism is contributing to the welfare of others without directly benefiting oneself (excepting for any "warm glow" feelings you get from having helped another). It's not a value statement that these contributions are "good", and it is by no means a statement that self-interest is bad. Altruism is not meant to be mandatory, and indeed it is not altruism if you feel forced to give. So in other words, you don't have a clue what altruism means. Not surprising.TrainerCeleste

Principles are absolute. My views are not extreme, they are merely consistent. The only consistent altruist is a dead altruist, because death is the result of disregard for life, and altruists disregard their own lives.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Laihendi
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"] Dictionary definition: altruism |altrooizm|

noun

TrainerCeleste

selfless |selfls| adjective concerned more with the needs and wishes of others than with one's own Now in either definition please bold where it says you must act upon these feelings please :)

Moral philosophies dictate how people should act, not how they must. Laws dictate how people must act, and welfare states are all based on the moral code of altruism.
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 TrainerCeleste
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Perhaps you should look up the definition of "selfless" as well. No true altruist considers his own life to be inherently valuable. His only justification for his existence is to be used as a tool by others.

Moral philosophies dictate how people should act, not how they must. Laws dictate how people must act, and welfare states are all based on the moral code of altruism.

I said bold
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Altruism states that it is good to sacrifice your own well being to serve others, and that it is therefore wrong to pursue your own self-interest when you could be pursuing the self-interest of others. Altruism states that the only justification for your life is giving to others at your own expense. Any person who does not pursue his own self-interest is incapable of sustaining his own life and may only live at the charity of others. Altruism is the morality of slavery and death.Laihendi

Government programs are not precisely altruistic because even while tax dollars are going to support them, tax dollars are also going to support things like defense that benefit the entire population. It is therefore difficult to distinguish between those individuals who would have given that extra money to equivalent charities (etc) anyway, and those who see it as worthwhile to pay those extra taxes because they value the defense, court system, etc more than the extra money. So government is not an example of coercive altruism. Altruism is not necessarily an act of self-sacrifice, since one can take personal pleasure out of giving to others, as many who give to charity do, even if they get no external benefits. It is also not necessarily an act of self-sacrifice if the money contributed has no additional value to that person.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Perhaps you should look up the definition of "selfless" as well. No true altruist considers his own life to be inherently valuable. His only justification for his existence is to be used as a tool by others.Laihendi

Altruism isn't a moral philosophy. It's a definition.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Laihendi
[QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"][QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"] selfless |selfls| adjective concerned more with the needs and wishes of others than with one's own Now in either definition please bold where it says you must act upon these feelings please :)

I said bold

You do not understand what I'm saying. Altruism does not state how people must act, it states how people should act. The law states how people must act, and many of the laws in this country are based on how altruism states that people should act.
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 TrainerCeleste

[QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Moral philosophies dictate how people should act, not how they must. Laws dictate how people must act, and welfare states are all based on the moral code of altruism.Laihendi
I said bold

You do not understand what I'm saying. Altruism does not state how people must act, it states how people should act. The law states how people must act, and many of the laws in this country are based on how altruism states that people should act.

Bold adjetive 2 (of a color or design) having a strong or vivid appearance: a coat with bold polka dots.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 chessmaster1989
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Moral philosophies dictate how people should act, not how they must. Laws dictate how people must act, and welfare states are all based on the moral code of altruism.

I said bold

No, it doesn't. Altruism is a statement of an action, not a statement of how people should act. Christ you are clueless.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Perhaps you should look up the definition of "selfless" as well. No true altruist considers his own life to be inherently valuable. His only justification for his existence is to be used as a tool by others.

Countries without some form of government programs to help the needy are frequently the poorest countries which one would not wish to dwell in. I guess welfare states elevate everyone....
WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#184 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

None of you countered OP's argument of "why dont we tip bus drivers or casino dealers"JustSignedUp

I would like to believe that, for a moment, maybe there is something here most of OT isn't stupid enough to not know the answer to, like the wage differences between these occupations.

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#185 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts

I tip the minimum all the time. I tip higher if they service was really good, which is 1 or 2 out of 10 restaurants I've gone to.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Laihendi
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"] I said bold

No, it doesn't. Altruism is a statement of an action, not a statement of how people should act. Christ you are clueless.

Please explain how advocates of altruism don't teach that people should be altruist. Please explain what those advocates of altruism are teaching.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#187 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Not getting into this argument because of the differences in culture.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"] selfless |selfls| adjective concerned more with the needs and wishes of others than with one's own Now in either definition please bold where it says you must act upon these feelings please :)chessmaster1989

Altruism isn't a moral philosophy. It's a definition.

That makes about as much sense as saying a chair isn't furniture - it's a definition. Gold isn't a metal - it's a definition. Milk isn't a drink - it's a definition. A definition of what? The implications made by the assumption that altruism is good constitutes a moral philosophy. The dictionary is not where one goes to understand a philosophy/ideology.

And you failed to explain how social welfare programs are not altruistic. Please explain how me being forced to pay for someone else's medical expenses is not altruism by coercion.

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

Charging for service from where I come from is unlawful, and tipping is not a common practice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

I only ever tip when I go on holiday. Tipping at home is pointless as waiters do get decent pay.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#191 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts

Tip if you enjoyed their service. Don't if you did not.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Tip the minimum for adequate service, tip little or none at all for poor service, and tip more for excellent service.

Tipping is a choice and isn't force so stop complaining.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 harashawn

Tip the minimum for adequate service, tip little or none at all for poor service, and tip more for excellent service.

Tipping is a choice and isn't force so stop complaining.

leviathan91
I don't see the point of tipping any amount at all for poor service. The entire purpose of a tip is to thank the server for doing their job well.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#194 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I would never tip if I lived in America. And if that's so bad, make it illegal and have done with it all.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] If you believe that altruism is not meant to be coercive, then surely you must believe that all government-enforced social welfare programs (medicare, medicaid, social security, public schools, etc.) should be ended.

Laihendi

Principles are absolute. My views are not extreme, they are merely consistent. The only consistent altruist is a dead altruist, because death is the result of disregard for life, and altruists disregard their own lives.

hahahahahahaha

bro you need to get out more

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#196 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

harashawn
I seldom enjoy someone's service unless they have a cute butt.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
I swear every single tipping related topic in OT gets at least +200 posts, what is it with you guys and tipping?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 LJS9502_basic
I would never tip if I lived in America. And if that's so bad, make it illegal and have done with it all. SolidSnake35
Then the cost of the food goes up. This keeps it down....
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
[QUOTE="harashawn"]

SolidSnake35

you didn't :/
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 harashawn
[QUOTE="harashawn"]

SolidSnake35

Then you would love the bars in Canada.