I think preachers should come here and start religion threads

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

It's one thing to go to church every Sunday and preach to a willing audience however having political debates in a place like this would really test your understanding of the bible. I think this place should be the test for not only up and coming ministers but also well seasoned ones.

what do you guys think is this a decent idea?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

It's one thing to go to church every Sunday and preach to a willing audience however having political debates in a place like this would really test your understanding of the bible. I think this place should be the test for not only up and coming ministers but also well seasoned ones.

Serraph105

Hmm...

I would have no problem with it. but it would have to be a debate type thing , and not just preaching your beliefs.

Avatar image for deactivated-6224691f9a882
deactivated-6224691f9a882

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-6224691f9a882
Member since 2005 • 868 Posts

If they do the jucie stuff i'm up for it. Thinks like "Lot" being saved by God from the destruction of Sodom only then to be got drunk by his daughters so they could have sex with him because of not getting enough man action! (Genesis 19: 31-6)

Check it out i'm not lying.There is a hell of alot worse in there to. I don't really think that the bible is a good moral code.

maheo30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 maheo30
Member since 2006 • 5102 Posts

If they do the jucie stuff i'm up for it. Thinks like "Lot" being saved by God from the destruction of Sodom only then to be got drunk by his daughters so they could have sex with him because of not getting enough man action! (Genesis 19: 31-6)

Check it out i'm not lying.There is a hell of alot worse in there to. I don't really think that the bible is a good moral code.

duncancameron23

The bible also speaks harshly of Lot for that incident. It is in Hebrews I believe.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
[QUOTE="duncancameron23"]

maheo30

The bible also speaks harshly of Lot for that incident. It is in Hebrews I believe.

Okay, but it specifically bans Christmas trees. Try to take that one metaphorically. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-6224691f9a882
deactivated-6224691f9a882

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-6224691f9a882
Member since 2005 • 868 Posts
[QUOTE="duncancameron23"]

maheo30

Id have to check that. But if Lot was worth saving from Sodom by God why did he bother? (God must have known that he would go bad in the future)

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
we could pick them apart in minutes, would be quite fun though i think they may end up lacking the number of ministers they need
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
This is actually what I do and is a huge reason as to why I speak in these forums. I'm a senior Christian Studies major seeking to attend seminary when I graduate next May. I'm looking at becoming a pastor and possibly church planter.
cfamgcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 cfamgcn
Member since 2004 • 5587 Posts

That is one of the reasons I'm in OT. I'm actually learning a lot with the religious threads. ~ de arimasu

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

They already do: the Christian Witness Union.

But, anyway, the reason they don't do stuff like that is that religion collapses under criticism. An atmosphere in which no criticism is made, such as a church, is much safer.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mindstorm

But, anyway, the reason they don't do stuff like that is that religion collapses under criticism. An atmosphere in which no criticism is made, such as a church, is much safer.

Funky_Llama

I have the opposite opinion.. Religion strives most under pressure as it separates the faithful from the ones who simply claim to be faithful. In the history of Christianity, it has grown most rapidly during times of persecution and become stagnant the rest of the time. Simply look at the Christian church in places like China compared to America. I may be odd in doing this but I welcome persecution when it comes as it's where faith is truly tested.

black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 black_cat19
Member since 2006 • 8212 Posts
[QUOTE="Serraph105"]

dave123321

Hmm...

I would have no problem with it. but it would have to be a debate type thing , and not just preaching your beliefs.

Agreed. Debate is fine, preaching is not. Besides, there's really no point in preaching on an internet forum, those who have always listened will keep listening and those who didn't listen in the first place won't, you won't change anymone's mind.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

mindstorm

I have the opposite opinion.. Religion strives most under pressure as it separates the faithful from the ones who simply claim to be faithful. In the history of Christianity, it has grown most rapidly during times of persecution and become stagnant the rest of the time. Simply look at the Christian church in places like China compared to America. I may be odd in doing this but I welcome persecution when it comes as it's where faith is truly tested.

Strange, then, that opposition to religion used to be to brutually oppressed. Why would that happen if religion, as you claim, thrives on it?

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mindstorm
[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

Funky_Llama

Strange, then, that opposition to religion used to be to brutually oppressed. Why would that happen if religion, as you claim, thrives on it?

I'm not saying I enjoy persecution but that is when I grow more as a person and as a Christian. Of all the Christians I know personally they have the same view point. Christ did say to "take up your cross and follow me." I do not think that is into a life of simplicity and comfort as many portray it to be. It is a wonderful life to live however.

black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 black_cat19

Funky_Llama

Because religious beliefs and faith may thrive during times of stress, but the power of those pulling the strings doesn't, hence the inquisition.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I am pretty sure that preaching and evangelism is against the ToU.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

mindstorm

I'm not saying I enjoy persecution but that is when I grow more as a person and as a Christian. Of all the Christians I know personally they have the same view point. Christ did say to "take up your cross and follow me." I do not think that is into a life of simplicity and comfort as many portray it to be. It is a wonderful life to live however.

I never said you did enjoy persecution... come on, at least actually respond to my point rather than telling me how great your life is.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

black_cat19

Because religious beliefs and faith may thrive during times of stress, but the power of those pulling the strings doesn't, hence the inquisition.

Ooh, interesting explanation.

deepdreamer256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#19 deepdreamer256
Member since 2005 • 7140 Posts
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

mindstorm

I have the opposite opinion.. Religion strives most under pressure as it separates the faithful from the ones who simply claim to be faithful.I'm not quite sure what you are implying here, as it doesn't seem to be relevant to his point. In the history of Christianity, it has grown most rapidly during times of persecution and become stagnant the rest of the time. Most of the time it was under persecution by other religions and cults, it seems to be with the advent of scientific theories such as evolution that, to me, it has become stagnant. For example, the United Kingdom used to be an almost completely Christian society, but today less than 40% of us proclaim religious faith. There must have been something that caused so many christian children such as my parents to defect from Christianity. Simply look at the Christian church in places like China compared to America.Pour example? I may be odd in doing this but I welcome persecution when it comes as it's where faith is truly tested. I can totally respect that, but please try to refrain from ad hominem attacks that lead on from the use of words like persecution. :P

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mindstorm

I am pretty sure that preaching and evangelism is against the ToU.foxhound_fox

Then I suppose I should be banned for life as it's my intention :shock:

[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

Funky_Llama

I never said you did enjoy persecution... come on, at least actually respond to my point rather than telling me how great your life is.

I wasn't entirely certain of what you asked so I did what I could. I suppose another answered it though :D

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Funky_Llama

I wasn't entirely certain of what you asked so I did what I could.

mindstorm

Sorry... I'm not always very clear.

I suppose another answered it though :D

mindstorm

Yup. Thank you, Mr black_cat19. :D

black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 black_cat19
[QUOTE="mindstorm"]

Funky_Llama

mindstorm

Hey, no problem. :D

If religions actually gave a damn about their followers and their faith, as opposed to just using them as a means to get extremely rich and powerful, the vatican wouldn't be the wealthiest state in the world, that's what I've always thought.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mindstorm

deepdreamer256

I have the opposite opinion.. Religion strives most under pressure as it separates the faithful from the ones who simply claim to be faithful.I'm not quite sure what you are implying here, as it doesn't seem to be relevant to his point. In the history of Christianity, it has grown most rapidly during times of persecution and become stagnant the rest of the time. Most of the time it was under persecution by other religions and cults, it seems to be with the advent of scientific theories such as evolution that, to me, it has become stagnant. For example, the United Kingdom used to be an almost completely Christian society, but today less than 40% of us proclaim religious faith. There must have been something that caused so many christian children such as my parents to defect from Christianity. Simply look at the Christian church in places like China compared to America.Pour example? I may be odd in doing this but I welcome persecution when it comes as it's where faith is truly tested. I can totally respect that, but please try to refrain from ad hominem attacks that lead on from the use of words like persecution. :P

More Christians are dying for their faith today than any other time in history in places like China, Vietnam, and North Korea but in those very same places it is spreading like wildfire. That is what I meant by persecution spreading the faith. I do not compare what is happening in Europe and America to that type of persecution.

It's a persecution of the mind which is simply a form of persecution the church sadly was not ready for nor expecting. Whether you believe it or not there is a rise in young believers who are standing up against that. It's separating those who are truly faithful from those who are not.

There is still a large group of so-called Christians who are simply Christian by name and religious practice. There is little faith and no want in becoming more faithful. I feel called by God to change how they perceive their beliefs. Many have turned from the faith because of their hypocrisy and stagnant faith.

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
No thanks...
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mindstorm
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="mindstorm"]

black_cat19

mindstorm

If religions actually gave a damn about their followers and their faith, as opposed to just using them as a means to get extremely rich and powerful, the vatican wouldn't be the wealthiest state in the world, that's what I've always thought.

Hence one of the reasons I'm Protestant... :shock:

black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 black_cat19
[QUOTE="black_cat19"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="mindstorm"]

mindstorm

mindstorm

Hence one of the reasons I'm Protestant... :shock:

I don't really know how all the different forms of catholicism and christianity differ from one another seeing as I'm not religious myself (I should do some research about it, come to think of it), but good for you I guess. :P

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

They have done it on other forums before.

A preacher who knows what he's talking about can hold his own in a debate, and I've seen them do it.

Most preachers are actually very tolerant, very kind people.

A true preacher accepts anyone and everyone, and alienates no one.

johnnyv2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 johnnyv2003
Member since 2003 • 13762 Posts
no, we need less preaching on OT. Everyone seems to think they have the answers on here and feel glad in letting others know. Most people in the religious and science threads have "facts" about both ideas, and they love to let others know those "facts". If anything, the OT needs more people opening their minds, and preaching less
DrummerJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DrummerJon
Member since 2004 • 9668 Posts

What would it be a test of? who can ignore logic the longest? (aka who has the strongest faith)

I feel like there are better places to do that than GS.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Then I suppose I should be banned for life as it's my intention :shock:mindstorm

Not really, you still present your beliefs as your beliefs and respect the opinions of others. Preaching involves no discussion at all.
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts

No. This forum is a bunch of adolecents and young adults who have nothing better to do than trying to tell people of other beliefs that they are wrong just to get attention. Perhaps if there was a respectable forum (where only select people were allowed to post) that served as a place for ministers of various faiths as well as supporters of agnosticism and athiesm to have intellectual arguments with one another that would be quite interesting. Perhaps they could let everyone view the forum, but only certain approved people post in it. There could also be a discussion about the discussion forum that everyone could post in.

The problem is that that athiests argue with science and logic based arguments, and thiests argue with the spiritual side of their brain. No one can explain what experiencing God is like, and generally unbelievers won't believe you when you try and explain it. There are thiests who argue things like the existance of God through logic, but they are few and far between because for a thiest to argue athiests with logic, the thiest must a firm understanding of both reason (science, math, logic, etc) and the less rational things like religion and the irrationalities of human. Athiests only have to understand the rational, not the irrational. That is also why Athiests have such trouble understanding thiests, because they do not understand the irrational side even of themselves.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

mindstorm

But we aren't talking about persecution, we're talking about open discussion.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Serraph105

They have done it on other forums before.

A preacher who knows what he's talking about can hold his own in a debate, and I've seen them do it.

Most preachers are actually very tolerant, very kind people.

A true preacher accepts anyone and everyone, and alienates no one.

-TheSecondSign-

I would like to see this for myself I'm religious and all but i also know what these forums are like

efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 efrucht
Member since 2008 • 1596 Posts
They can keep their preaching out of OT, and I'll keep my radical heretic thoughts out of their churches. What a good compromise!
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mindstorm

They can keep their preaching out of OT, and I'll keep my radical heretic thoughts out of their churches. What a good compromise!efrucht

As a ministry student I'd welcome you into my church when I start one. :D

Does that mean I can start preaching? :P

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Serraph105

[QUOTE="efrucht"]They can keep their preaching out of OT, and I'll keep my radical heretic thoughts out of their churches. What a good compromise!mindstorm

As a ministry student I'd welcome you into my church when I start one. :D

Does that mean I can start preaching? :P

possibly but as for me i have a church i go to already

astiop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 astiop
Member since 2005 • 3582 Posts
I don't see the point. Preachers/the bibble are the reasons some people bacame atheist in the first place.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mindstorm

I don't see the point. Hypocrites/misunderstanding the Bible are the reasons some people bacame atheist in the first place.astiop

*Fixed* :D

(not spelling though) :P