I think its time to give Christopher Nolan the legendary status.

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 champion837
Member since 2012 • 1423 Posts
If he doesnt have it already. The Dark Knight Inception The Dark Knight Rises And its all within 5 years. That's all I gotta say.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Eh he's alright.
SteverXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SteverXIII
Member since 2010 • 3795 Posts
I do agree he is one of the best modern directors. Not sure I'd call him a legendary director at this point though.
Avatar image for CondorCalabasas
CondorCalabasas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CondorCalabasas
Member since 2012 • 637 Posts

hes alright, there are better imo

dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts
If he keeps it up he certainly deserves that status. It all depends on what he follows up the Batman success with.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Those three? Classics? Not yet. And not his best work.

Memento.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Sun_Tzu-
Those are 3 movies that people consider classics.champion837
Let's not go overboard.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Just being able to create fun, smart but typically bloated "blockbusters" isn't enough to warrant the title of "legendary". Maybe if he goes smaller, releases a few more films like 'Prestige' and 'Memento', then one could look at him as "legendary".
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 champion837
[QUOTE="champion837"]Those are 3 movies that people consider classics.-Sun_Tzu-
Let's not go overboard.

I dont understand. Many people claim that those movies are some of the greatest of all time.
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 champion837
Just being able to create fun, smart but typically bloated "blockbusters" isn't enough to warrant the title of "legendary". Maybe if he goes smaller, releases a few more films like 'Prestige' and 'Memento', then one could look at him as "legendary". SaintLeonidas
Why would he have to do "smaller" movies? That doesnt dictate whether or not a movie is of quality. Stephen Spielberg hasnt done a small movie in almost 40 years.
Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CycleOfViolence
Member since 2011 • 2813 Posts

He is a great director, but we can revive this discussion after he's won a few Best Director awards. I think that quailifies you as legendary.

Samwel_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Samwel_X
Member since 2006 • 13765 Posts

The guy is hardly an autuer - he doesn't have a very specific style per-se, he has produced a bunch of really popular films but that doesn't make him one of the best filmmakers of all time. See what he has brought out ten years from now, then we'll make a more informed decision.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="champion837"]Those are 3 movies that people consider classics.champion837
Let's not go overboard.

I dont understand. Many people claim that those movies are some of the greatest of all time.

Those people are silly
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 champion837

He is a great director, but we can revive this discussion after he's won a few Best Director awards. I think that quailifies you as legendary.

CycleOfViolence
No it doesnt. An award is an agreement in a certain group that has an opinion on something. That hardly covers the masses.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SaintLeonidas
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Just being able to create fun, smart but typically bloated "blockbusters" isn't enough to warrant the title of "legendary". Maybe if he goes smaller, releases a few more films like 'Prestige' and 'Memento', then one could look at him as "legendary". champion837
Why would he have to do "smaller" movies? That doesnt dictate whether or not a movie is of quality. Stephen Spielberg hasnt done a small movie in almost 40 years.

Because it shows he actually has range. Just being able to stuff a ton of material into typically convoluted plots, no matter how technically/visually stunning they are, or how smart and fun they might be, doesn't mean a director is "legendary".
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#17 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Except that he hasn't done very much?
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 champion837
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Let's not go overboard.

Those people are silly

How, its an opinion that many people hold.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="champion837"] I dont understand. Many people claim that those movies are some of the greatest of all time.

Those people are silly

How, its an opinion that many people hold.

My opinion > the opinion of the plebeian masses
Zevante101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zevante101
Member since 2009 • 565 Posts

Take a lok at this. Count Nolan films (he's got at least 3 in the top 50 already)

SteverXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SteverXIII
[QUOTE="champion837"] How, its an opinion that many people hold.

Many people think Twilight is the best thing since sliced bread. Does that mean it is?
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 champion837
[QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Just being able to create fun, smart but typically bloated "blockbusters" isn't enough to warrant the title of "legendary". Maybe if he goes smaller, releases a few more films like 'Prestige' and 'Memento', then one could look at him as "legendary". SaintLeonidas

Because it shows he actually has range. Just being able to stuff a ton of material into typically convoluted plots, no matter how technically/visually stunning they are, or how smart and fun they might be, doesn't mean a director is "legendary".

Range doesnt dictate who is legendary.
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 champion837
[QUOTE="SteverXIII"][QUOTE="champion837"] How, its an opinion that many people hold.

Many people think Twilight is the best thing since sliced bread. Does that mean it is?

We arent discussing Twilight. We already know that TDK is an amazing trilogy.
SteverXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SteverXIII
We already know that TDK is an amazing trilogy.champion837
We? Not everyone holds the same opinion on the Dark Knight series.
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CycleOfViolence

[QUOTE="CycleOfViolence"]

champion837

No it doesnt. An award is an agreement in a certain group that has an opinion on something. That hardly covers the masses.

And yet your designation of Nolan as legendary is a better representation of the masses? I'm a Nolan fan. I thoroughly enjoyed The Dark Knight and I loved The Prestige but he is not a legendary director.

Speilberg? Yes
Eastwood? Yes
Olive Stone? Yes

Nolan? Not yet.

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 champion837
[QUOTE="champion837"]We already know that TDK is an amazing trilogy.SteverXIII
We? Not everyone holds the same opinion on the Dark Knight series.

I know that. I am referring to the general opinion of the movie.
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 champion837

[QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="CycleOfViolence"]

CycleOfViolence

And yet your designation of Nolan as legendary is a better representation of the masses? I'm a Nolan fan. I thoroughly enjoyed The Dark Knight and I loved The Prestige but he is not a legendary director.

Speilberg? Yes
Eastwood? Yes
Olive Stone? Yes

Nolan? Not yet.

There are many more than that. No one has made the amount of big movies as those three are, so that isnt really fair. Thats like saying Ray Charles isnt legendary due to Michael Jackson and the Beatles.
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CycleOfViolence

[QUOTE="CycleOfViolence"]

[QUOTE="champion837"] No it doesnt. An award is an agreement in a certain group that has an opinion on something. That hardly covers the masses.champion837

Speilberg? Yes
Eastwood? Yes
Olive Stone? Yes

Nolan? Not yet.

There are many more than that. No one has made the amount of big movies as those three are, so that isnt really fair. Thats like saying Ray Charles isnt legendary due to Michael Jackson and the Beatles.

Hence why I included "Not yet"

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SaintLeonidas

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="champion837"] Why would he have to do "smaller" movies? That doesnt dictate whether or not a movie is of quality. Stephen Spielberg hasnt done a small movie in almost 40 years.champion837

Range doesnt dictate who is legendary.

I think we should stop childishly using the term legendary first. He has been making films for about 12 years, hardly enough time to cement his status as a Hollywood "Legend", he could direct nothing but sh*t for the next 20 years for all we know. Second, having range is very much a factor in how good a director really is. Just being talented in making "big" films is nothing worthy of 'greatness', especially when those films are always right on the brink of being too bloated/plot hole filled to even be as good as they are.

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 champion837
Just be talented in making "big" films is nothing worthy of 'greatness. SaintLeonidas
Do you know that there are TONS of talented people making huge films right now and Speilberg and Scorcese are still making them as well. But point blank, over the last 5 years, none have had as many films that people consider to be iconic as TDK and Inception. This guy had 3 of them, in 5 years time, I dont think ive ever heard of anything like it before.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="champion837"] Do you know that there are TONS of talented people making huge films right now and Speilberg and Scorcese are still making them as well. But point blank, over the last 5 years, none have had as many films that people consider to be iconic as TDK and Inception. This guy had 3 of them, in 5 years time, I dont think ive ever heard of anything like it before.

And as he just said, Nolan might end up making crap films for the next 20 years. To really be a legend, you need to be a little more prolific than Nolan is right now, and objectively speaking, there is no way Nolan can or should be considered a legend now.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SaintLeonidas

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"] Just be talented in making "big" films is nothing worthy of 'greatness. champion837
Do you know that there are TONS of talented people making huge films right now and Speilberg and Scorcese are still making them as well. But point blank, over the last 5 years, none have had as many films that people consider to be iconic as TDK and Inception. This guy had 3 of them, in 5 years time, I dont think ive ever heard of anything like it before.

How iconic a film is, how much of an impact it might have had on "pop culture" does not mean it is of quality. I love his films...but based on your point of view, 'Twilight', which has made millions, has thousands of fans, has made it's mark on 'pop culture' and would certainly be considered 'iconic' to all those fans, would make them 'great' films, worthy of being compared to 'The Dark Knight', and their directors worthy of a lot of praise.

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 champion837
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="champion837"] Do you know that there are TONS of talented people making huge films right now and Speilberg and Scorcese are still making them as well. But point blank, over the last 5 years, none have had as many films that people consider to be iconic as TDK and Inception. This guy had 3 of them, in 5 years time, I dont think ive ever heard of anything like it before.

And as he just said, Nolan might end up making crap films for the next 20 years. To really be a legend, you need to be a little more prolific than Nolan is right now, and objectively speaking, there is no way Nolan can or should be considered a legend now.

So you mean to tell me that if Copolla only made the godfather, he wouldnt be legendary?
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="champion837"] So you mean to tell me that if Copolla only made the godfather, he wouldnt be legendary?

Let me put it this way. If Copolla went on to direct Scary Movies, then he would lose that legendary status. Statuses CAN be taken away, you know....
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

It depends on your definition of legendary I guess. He's still got a long ways to go before he's in the same class of directors I consider to be legendary like Kurosawa or Scorsese.

And I say this as someone who has at worst liked every film Nolan's done so far.

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 champion837

[QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"] Just be talented in making "big" films is nothing worthy of 'greatness. SaintLeonidas

How iconic a film is, how much of an impact it might have had on "pop culture" does not mean it is of quality. I love his films...but based on your point of view, 'Twilight', which has made millions, has thousands of fans, has made it's mark on 'pop culture' and would certainly be considered 'iconic' to all those fans, would make them 'great' films, worthy of being compared to 'The Dark Knight', and their directors worthy of a lot of praise.

I first made the point to you and others that his film is considered one of the greatest films of all time by a lot of people. I dont see any other films for that matter having that much widespread acclaim, you dont even have to include twilight, I dont see as much acclaim like that for any other film in the last 5 years, let alone 3 movies.
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 champion837
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="champion837"] So you mean to tell me that if Copolla only made the godfather, he wouldnt be legendary?

Let me put it this way. If Copolla went on to direct Scary Movies, then he would lose that legendary status. Statuses CAN be taken away, you know....

That isnt true. Many legends have made TERRIBLE movies.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
He's been a legend since TDK
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
If he stops making ambitious blockbusters that merely boil down to entertainment and goes back to something like, say, The Prestige or Memento, then he could be in consideration. I still believe that he is getting worse.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SaintLeonidas
[QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="champion837"] Do you know that there are TONS of talented people making huge films right now and Speilberg and Scorcese are still making them as well. But point blank, over the last 5 years, none have had as many films that people consider to be iconic as TDK and Inception. This guy had 3 of them, in 5 years time, I dont think ive ever heard of anything like it before.

So you mean to tell me that if Copolla only made the godfather, he wouldnt be legendary?

You hear people talking about Michael Curtiz along side Copolla, Scorsese, etc.? No...but the guy directed 'Casablanca', widely regarded as one of the greatest films ever made, yet you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would call him a 'legendary' director.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="champion837"] So you mean to tell me that if Copolla only made the godfather, he wouldnt be legendary?

He did go on to make scary movies. The fact of the matter is that he has had one of, if not, the best run a filmmaker has ever had. Those four films alone are enough to position him as one of the greats.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#42 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I liked Inception and The Prestige, but he's not legendary.
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 champion837
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"] And as he just said, Nolan might end up making crap films for the next 20 years. To really be a legend, you need to be a little more prolific than Nolan is right now, and objectively speaking, there is no way Nolan can or should be considered a legend now.

You hear people talking about Michael Curtiz along side Copolla, Scorsese, etc.? No...but the guy directed 'Casablanca', widely regarded as one of the greatest films ever made, yet you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would call him a 'legendary' director.

Maybe Michael Curtiz just didnt get as popular as Copolla? Very few are as popular as Copolla.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SaintLeonidas
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

[QUOTE="champion837"] Do you know that there are TONS of talented people making huge films right now and Speilberg and Scorcese are still making them as well. But point blank, over the last 5 years, none have had as many films that people consider to be iconic as TDK and Inception. This guy had 3 of them, in 5 years time, I dont think ive ever heard of anything like it before.champion837

I first made the point to you and others that his film is considered one of the greatest films of all time by a lot of people. I dont see any other films for that matter having that much widespread acclaim, you dont even have to include twilight, I dont see as much acclaim like that for any other film in the last 5 years, let alone 3 movies.

There have been a lot of films in recent years that have received just as much, if not more critical acclaim as Nolan's films. His just receive more attention because they are "blockbusters" that appeal more to the general movie going audience.
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 champion837
[QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"] How iconic a film is, how much of an impact it might have had on "pop culture" does not mean it is of quality. I love his films...but based on your point of view, 'Twilight', which has made millions, has thousands of fans, has made it's mark on 'pop culture' and would certainly be considered 'iconic' to all those fans, would make them 'great' films, worthy of being compared to 'The Dark Knight', and their directors worthy of a lot of praise.SaintLeonidas

There have been a lot of films in recent years that have received just as much, if not more critical acclaim as Nolan's films. His just receive more attention because they are "blockbusters" that appeal more to the general movie going audience.

3 films in 5 years? You gotta admit that is absolutely incredible for a director to do.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

If he stops making ambitious blockbusters that merely boil down to entertainment and goes back to something like, say, The Prestige or Memento, then he could be in consideration. I still believe that he is getting worse.sammyjenkis898

Memento was great, didn't like The Prestige though. I really liked Inception though among his newer movies.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SaintLeonidas
[QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="champion837"] So you mean to tell me that if Copolla only made the godfather, he wouldnt be legendary?

Maybe Michael Curtiz just didnt get as popular as Copolla? That happens with a lot of filmakers.

If we are going just by how popular a film maker is, Tyler Perry would be 'legendary'. Curtiz doesn't get much recognition because just making one or a few great films in a short span of time doesn't instantly establish someone as a 'legend'.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#48 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
wait, so if I write three huge commercial success novels in the next five years, would I be considered a legendary author? O.O
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 champion837
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"] You hear people talking about Michael Curtiz along side Copolla, Scorsese, etc.? No...but the guy directed 'Casablanca', widely regarded as one of the greatest films ever made, yet you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would call him a 'legendary' director.

Maybe Michael Curtiz just didnt get as popular as Copolla? That happens with a lot of filmakers.

If we are going just by how popular a film maker is, Tyler Perry would be 'legendary'. Curtiz doesn't get much recognition because just making one or a few great films in a short span of time doesn't instantly establish someone as a 'legend'.

You are taking what I say out of context. I meant for the argument between those two directors. I didnt say that all huge directors are legends.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SaintLeonidas
[QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="champion837"] I first made the point to you and others that his film is considered one of the greatest films of all time by a lot of people. I dont see any other films for that matter having that much widespread acclaim, you dont even have to include twilight, I dont see as much acclaim like that for any other film in the last 5 years, let alone 3 movies.

3 films in 5 years? You gotta admit that is absolutely incredible for a director to do.

Impressive? Yes. But again, just having a good few years, when he has so many years to possibly screw up his reputation, doesn't mean he should already be considered legendary.