I Think I'm Smart?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1 GordanChoong
Member since 2014 • 227 Posts

Many people around me that knew me for some time claim I'm smart. They state that if I try hard enough in school, I can catch up and possibly surpass my sister who is getting over nineties in her courses. I just get like sixties, seventies, and eighties; I'm all over the place. Yes, I know I have the intellectual and potential to achieve great marks, but no matter how hard I try or how hard I am motivated, it never turns out good. I think it has something to do with my attitude towards school. Over the years I have developed this attitude and now it seems impossible for me to get good grades. I think I'm just like Super-Man in his youth: developing mental barriers and road-blocks over many years at a subconscious level, preventing me from achieving or realizing my full intelligence and potential.

I'll give you some examples. I taken many IQ tests on many websites that are claimed to be trustworthy and official; many of these websites are university sites after all. But they all say my IQ is somewhere between 110 to 120. However, from my experience and knowledge, IQ is actually one of the least accurate ways of measuring a person's true intelligence. This, of course, is proven by the Multiple Intelligences Theory, created by an educational ... person at Harvard University many decades ago. About my IQ, I actually know and understand so much that I am certain that my IQ should be higher than 120. Why? Majority of the people around my age are much more naive than I am. My level of ignorance even matches that of a young adult (not including intelligence). I also realize that I, in fact, far exceed many others around my age in many intelligences, although my level of logical intelligence is questionable.

Another example would probably be that I understand and can interpret what others much older than me cannot. Linking to the multi theory, I am able to instantly analyze and intepret one's outer and inner personality just by witnessing the way they do certain things, like walking or talking. Developing relationships with them lets me know their true or inner child personality. I can understand the logic and reasoning behind the way people perform physical activities, specifically martial arts, and able to even theoretically develop a strategy to copy it. Or if I am faced with a challenge too overwhelming for somebody of my age to solve, I simply will think up of which activities I must learn in order to overcome the challenge.

Now I know that most of you have probably realized that I am a teenager, and I am, unless you have never been introduced to the concept of IQ. I may be not as intelligent as someone who is a genius or prodigy, but I am much better than those my age by huge numbers and differences. I think I am smart, but I think I'm not. I think, therefore, I am. But anyways, what do you think? What should I do to realize and unlock my full potential? And if you think I am dumb because you are older than me, then I agree. And I understand why.

Society, media, and the government put limitations on average people, not wanting them to achieve what they can achieve unless they assimilate or join them. If they attempt to, they will take neccessary actions to eliminate them (sometimes literally, usually metaphorically). Like Merphiles (or what his name is) from Sonic 06: Those that become too powerful will be seen as a threat. And that is true, for if I exceed the expectations and limitations quickly enough to be noticed, then certain people will "dispose" of me as I am seen as a threat to those people. I know it's a bit crazy, but hey, it's just a rational opinion.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

Try some adderall or Ritalin.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

I thought I was being smart once, turned out I was being an absolute idiot.

Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

I'm not sure if you are serious (I've certainly seen weirder things), but I think the fact that you made this post is a solid reason why you might not be that smart. You are a good writer nonetheless.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Being smart is okay, but I advise you to not get hung up on it. It doesn't matter how smart you are, what matters is what you DO. People don't care about Stephen Hawking because he's smart, they care about him because of his contributions to science. People don't care about Bill Gates because he's smart, they care about him because of his contributions to computing and software and business and consumer electronics.

So stop thinking about how smart you are, and concentrate on doing things that make you an asset to other people. Also, stop making excuses. If there's a mental/psychological reason for why you CAN'T get good grades, then do something about it. See a mental health professional and get treatment for the problem. If there is no such problem which prevents you from getting good grades, then stop making excuses and just accept that you don't care enough to put in the effort required to get good grades.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

hmm... will Ted Bundy moderate this thread again??

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

What is it with all these teenagers and their GS threads about being smart? On my generation of teenagers we all thought we were smart, mature and funny, but we kept our mouths shut (therefore not getting out asses handed to us or being called on our BS =P)

What was the question anyway? We don't really know you so how are we to determine if your self-image is accurate? Is it even up to us to reassure you? If it was just to convince us you're smart I have 2 things to say to you. 1) We're not all that interested in what people think of themselves, we prefer to judge them ourselves 2) If you're trying to "sell" your intelligence/maturity/whatever, saying "I think I'm just like Super-Man" might not be a great way to start...

That being said, I'm sure you have the potential to perform better than you currently are; most people do. Most of the times it's not so much about how smart you are or how hard you work but how motivated you are and how much you want it.

My class in highschool had a bunch of really smart kids who were getting crappy grades in some subjects they disliked even though they worked hard (while having awesome grades in subjects they didn't work for but enjoyed) and then having our teacher replaced by someone who wasn't as good a teacher (less mastery of the subject and not so good at explaining) but a lot friendlier and the grades went up considerably.

Enjoyment is a big part of success so do something you enjoy and best of luck =)

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Trust no body and believe in yourself

Producing is key though; no one can argue with accomplishments

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

People over think things a lot. I can be one of them when it comes to relationships but I never let it waver my confidence.

In today's materialistic world is not always about how smart you are but what you have to show for it, your contribution back to society, and of course your income.

Standard IQ tests are shit for measuring one's intelligence worth and that is coming from someone in the 150-180 range.

Figure out what you want then set goals and a plan of action to obtain them. Manage your time effectively and stop telling yourself you have blocks on a subconscious level.

Stop worrying about why so much and start focusing on what, where and how.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

I think you've got a superiority complex.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@gordanchoong said:

Many people around me that knew me for some time claim I'm smart.

That's just something people say to be nice.

I'm sure you're heard the phrase, "You've got a lot going for you" too in your time. Don't mistake compliments for truth (at least not all the time).

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GordanChoong

@korvus said:

What is it with all these teenagers and their GS threads about being smart? On my generation of teenagers we all thought we were smart, mature and funny, but we kept our mouths shut (therefore not getting out asses handed to us or being called on our BS =P)

What was the question anyway? We don't really know you so how are we to determine if your self-image is accurate? Is it even up to us to reassure you? If it was just to convince us you're smart I have 2 things to say to you. 1) We're not all that interested in what people think of themselves, we prefer to judge them ourselves 2) If you're trying to "sell" your intelligence/maturity/whatever, saying "I think I'm just like Super-Man" might not be a great way to start...

That being said, I'm sure you have the potential to perform better than you currently are; most people do. Most of the times it's not so much about how smart you are or how hard you work but how motivated you are and how much you want it.

My class in highschool had a bunch of really smart kids who were getting crappy grades in some subjects they disliked even though they worked hard (while having awesome grades in subjects they didn't work for but enjoyed) and then having our teacher replaced by someone who wasn't as good a teacher (less mastery of the subject and not so good at explaining) but a lot friendlier and the grades went up considerably.

Enjoyment is a big part of success so do something you enjoy and best of luck =)

Remember how the servers crashed yesterday?

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GordanChoong

@bowchicka07 said:

People over think things a lot. I can be one of them when it comes to relationships but I never let it waver my confidence.

In today's materialistic world is not always about how smart you are but what you have to show for it, your contribution back to society, and of course your income.

Standard IQ tests are shit for measuring one's intelligence worth and that is coming from someone in the 150-180 range.

Figure out what you want then set goals and a plan of action to obtain them. Manage your time effectively and stop telling yourself you have blocks on a subconscious level.

Stop worrying about why so much and start focusing on what, where and how.

Exactly, I knew that IQ was bs all along, coming from me who has a IQ of 120 and over. Funny how many of my cousin's friends claim to be a smart university graduate but cannot even tell if my other cousin is a boy or a girl after several encounters with her while I notice in seconds.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Loading Video...

This is TC ^

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GordanChoong

That video is funny, but no, I'm not being ignorant or arrogant.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@gordanchoong said:

Many people around me that knew me for some time claim I'm smart. They state that if I try hard enough in school, I can catch up and possibly surpass my sister who is getting over nineties in her courses. I just get like sixties, seventies, and eighties; I'm all over the place. Yes, I know I have the intellectual and potential to achieve great marks, but no matter how hard I try or how hard I am motivated, it never turns out good. I think it has something to do with my attitude towards school. Over the years I have developed this attitude and now it seems impossible for me to get good grades. I think I'm just like Super-Man in his youth: developing mental barriers and road-blocks over many years at a subconscious level, preventing me from achieving or realizing my full intelligence and potential.

I'll give you some examples. I taken many IQ tests on many websites that are claimed to be trustworthy and official; many of these websites are university sites after all. But they all say my IQ is somewhere between 110 to 120. However, from my experience and knowledge, IQ is actually one of the least accurate ways of measuring a person's true intelligence. This, of course, is proven by the Multiple Intelligences Theory, created by an educational ... person at Harvard University many decades ago. About my IQ, I actually know and understand so much that I am certain that my IQ should be higher than 120. Why? Majority of the people around my age are much more naive than I am. My level of ignorance even matches that of a young adult (not including intelligence). I also realize that I, in fact, far exceed many others around my age in many intelligences, although my level of logical intelligence is questionable.

Another example would probably be that I understand and can interpret what others much older than me cannot. Linking to the multi theory, I am able to instantly analyze and intepret one's outer and inner personality just by witnessing the way they do certain things, like walking or talking. Developing relationships with them lets me know their true or inner child personality. I can understand the logic and reasoning behind the way people perform physical activities, specifically martial arts, and able to even theoretically develop a strategy to copy it. Or if I am faced with a challenge too overwhelming for somebody of my age to solve, I simply will think up of which activities I must learn in order to overcome the challenge.

Now I know that most of you have probably realized that I am a teenager, and I am, unless you have never been introduced to the concept of IQ. I may be not as intelligent as someone who is a genius or prodigy, but I am much better than those my age by huge numbers and differences. I think I am smart, but I think I'm not. I think, therefore, I am. But anyways, what do you think? What should I do to realize and unlock my full potential? And if you think I am dumb because you are older than me, then I agree. And I understand why.

Society, media, and the government put limitations on average people, not wanting them to achieve what they can achieve unless they assimilate or join them. If they attempt to, they will take neccessary actions to eliminate them (sometimes literally, usually metaphorically). Like Merphiles (or what his name is) from Sonic 06: Those that become too powerful will be seen as a threat. And that is true, for if I exceed the expectations and limitations quickly enough to be noticed, then certain people will "dispose" of me as I am seen as a threat to those people. I know it's a bit crazy, but hey, it's just a rational opinion.

smart will get you nowhere

bold will

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GordanChoong

@evildead6789 said:

@gordanchoong said:

bold will

So you're telling me to choose brawn over brain? The hell? Unless you mean adapting to changing conditions to survive? Then yes, which stays true to the theory of evolution.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@gordanchoong said:

Yeah, but it wasn't my fault XD

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GordanChoong

@korvus said:

@gordanchoong said:

Yeah, but it wasn't my fault XD

Why did it crash? I was forced to flock to Escapist for the time being!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@gordanchoong: I'm not a moderator anymore so I'm not informed of those things....well, to be honest even when I was a moderator I still wouldn't be informed about any of it...

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GordanChoong

@korvus said:

@gordanchoong: I'm not a moderator anymore so I'm not informed of those things....well, to be honest even when I was a moderator I still wouldn't be informed about any of it...

I'll go back to Escapist every now and then, but eh, I'll stay here!

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@gordanchoong said:

@evildead6789 said:

@gordanchoong said:

bold will

So you're telling me to choose brawn over brain? The hell? Unless you mean adapting to changing conditions to survive? Then yes, which stays true to the theory of evolution.

the problem with smart is, is that there is no solution. If it really comes down to it, whatever you do , if you lack the spine people will run over you

Bold will save your sorry ass

Smart & bold is something different though but bold always works , smart never works

smart & bold is success

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#25 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

If you have to say that you're smart, chances are you're not that smart.

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GordanChoong

@turtlethetaffer said:

'kay? Funny how the threads that I do not want to get famous become famous and vice versa with those that I want to.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

Definitely a troll, move along everybody.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@gordanchoong said:

@korvus said:

I'll go back to Escapist every now and then, but eh, I'll stay here!

please don't

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#29 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@gordanchoong said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

'kay? Funny how the threads that I do not want to get famous become famous and vice versa with those that I want to.

Um. Good for you...? what is your point exactly?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

If you had to make this thread,you're probably not

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GordanChoong

@MonsieurX said:

I'm just wondering why people call me smart when I am only above average but not too significant.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

@gordanchoong said:

That video is funny, but no, I'm not being ignorant or arrogant.

I wasn't calling you either. >_>

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MonsieurX

@gordanchoong said:

@MonsieurX said:

I'm just wondering why people call me smart when I am only above average but not too significant.

Not smart enough to figure it out,eh.

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GordanChoong

@MonsieurX said:

@gordanchoong said:

@MonsieurX said:

Canadian, eh? That was so racist and funny!

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MonsieurX

@gordanchoong said:

@MonsieurX said:

@gordanchoong said:

@MonsieurX said:

Canadian, eh? That was so racist and funny!

Why would I be Canadian?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

That us because you are smart Gordan, and your presence here can only enhance OT's discourse going forward. An honor to have you here, sir.